Intake question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Intake question.

I have a base 05 and im currently using a K&N factory replacement filter. I am seriously considering upgrading to an INJEN RD series cold air intake. I would just like to get feedback from anyone who is currently or as previously used this intake. How does it sound? Did it significantly increase MPGs and Horsepwr.? Was it easy to Install? Etc... Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RjG2; 10-15-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
6speed Anthracite

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Please search first!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Instructor

I am currently searching but was hoping for some other input. Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
I own that intake. I have had it on my 03 Accord V6 since 2003. Not only were the gains great but it sounds amazing! Should give the same sound and gains on your TL since we are both J-series. Also my gas mileage is better due to this. I put it on the car when I had 1200 miles and now I have 68000 miles. The only thing I have changed is the filter. I now use a K&N filter with the intake. Well worth the money!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You guys really need to stop with the mis-information with CAIs and mileage increase. Mileage increase from a CAI on a fuel injected car is impossible and has been proven in many tests.

The stock air intake system flows more than the TL's engine needs. For 258hp, it requires less than 300CFM of air. The stock system should flow quite a bit more than that. The performance gains come from the cooler air, not less restriction.

The factory intake system is a semi-cold air. If you truly care about performance, removing the ducting after the resonator will give you the same gains as a CAI for free.

Many people mistake the extra noise for extra performance.

I really don't care what people do with their cars but the mpg increase myth is annoying. A plugged airfilter will only reduce power but won't affect mpg.

Again, K&N filters don't filter worth a crap. It's not worth the no power gain when the airfilter is the most important filter on the car.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You guys really need to stop with the mis-information with CAIs and mileage increase. Mileage increase from a CAI on a fuel injected car is impossible and has been proven in many tests.

The stock air intake system flows more than the TL's engine needs. For 258hp, it requires less than 300CFM of air. The stock system should flow quite a bit more than that. The performance gains come from the cooler air, not less restriction.

The factory intake system is a semi-cold air. If you truly care about performance, removing the ducting after the resonator will give you the same gains as a CAI for free.

I really don't care what people do with their cars but the mpg increase myth is annoying. A plugged airfilter will only reduce power but won't affect mpg.

Again, K&N filters don't filter worth a crap. It's not worth the no power gain when the airfilter is the most important filter on the car.
x2...Thank you someone finally agrees with me on K/N filters! If you look at the filter in the SUn....its porous as hell! K/N relies on the oil to help it filter. But anyway I recommend some sort of dryflow filter. I agree with the MPG statement also. I pulled out my Injen filter and it was black as hell and I was still getting 24 or so mpg mixed.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

I do know that before my CAI I was getting 22-23MPG. After my CAI I was getting 24-25MPG. Since I added my exhaust I have been getting 26-27MPG. This is all city. Same drive I do 5 days a week since the car was new.

Isn't the CAI less restricted than the stock intake? I didn't think it was just cold air that helped but also less restriction. We have the dummy tube on the stock intake that is a noise canceler which I would imagine is restricting airflow even if you removed the resonator box. Doesn't the ECU learn that the engine is getting more air due to the CAI? I wouldn't think that the increase in power is just due to Cold air alone but also a more direct flow with a less restrictive filter and tubing.

I also have to add that my stock accord airbox is different from the TL's. The Accords airbox isn't a semi cold air intake like the TL's is. Maybe that will make a difference for people who want to buy a CAI on the TL. Maybe the Accord will gain more from this?

Anyway I am very happy with my purchase of this.

Last edited by SatinSilverAV6; 10-16-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
I do know that before my CAI I was getting 22-23MPG. After my CAI I was getting 24-25MPG. Since I added my exhaust I have been getting 26-27MPG. This is all city. Same drive I do 5 days a week since the car was new.

Isn't the CAI less restricted than the stock intake? I didn't think it was just cold air that helped but also less restriction. We have the dummy tube on the stock intake that is a noise canceler which I would imagine is restricting airflow even if you removed the resonator box. Doesn't the ECU learn that the engine is getting more air due to the CAI? I wouldn't think that the increase in power is just due to Cold air alone but also a more direct flow with a less restrictive filter and tubing.

I also have to add that my stock accord airbox is different from the TL's. The Accords airbox isn't a semi cold air intake like the TL's is. Maybe that will make a difference for people who want to buy a CAI on the TL. Maybe the Accord will gain more from this?

Anyway I am very happy with my purchase of this.
I want to start by saying I wasn't directing this just toward you. I'm in the middle of a debate on another board so I apolgize if I come across as a jerk.

Less restriction can't make a difference in mpg. You have to remember the throttlebody opens and closes to control the amount of air. It is a variable restriction itself. Going by the theory that more restriction means less mpg, you would get terrible mpg at part throttle with the throttlebody nearly closed. The stock air system outflows the engine's airflow requirements. As you mod the car, less restriction will make more of a difference.

Exhaust on the other hand will give you more power and more mpg. The engine has to pump the exhaust out so by making it easier to pump, you gain power and mpg.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

I want to start by saying I wasn't directing this just toward you. I'm in the middle of a debate on another board so I apolgize if I come across as a jerk.

Less restriction can't make a difference in mpg. You have to remember the throttlebody opens and closes to control the amount of air. It is a variable restriction itself. Going by the theory that more restriction means less mpg, you would get terrible mpg at part throttle with the throttlebody nearly closed. The stock air system outflows the engine's airflow requirements. As you mod the car, less restriction will make more of a difference.

Exhaust on the other hand will give you more power and more mpg. The engine has to pump the exhaust out so by making it easier to pump, you gain power and mpg.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this increase in MPG with a CAI be contributed to using less throttle opening. If there is an increase in power (making the engine more efficent) you are now requiring less throttle opening to obtain the same amount of speed as you were before thus reducing the amount of fuel you are using. I have removed the resonator box on my car. I took out the whole bottom part of the system, cut the outlet of the resonator that led to the air box, thus creating a cold air draw tube. It draws air from the same area as a CAI would. I am now getting 29~30 MPG on my daily commute compared to 26~27 with the complete stock air system. No other changes have been made.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4SFED
Could this increase in MPG with a CAI be contributed to using less throttle opening. If there is an increase in power (making the engine more efficent) you are now requiring less throttle opening to obtain the same amount of speed as you were before thus reducing the amount of fuel you are using. I have removed the resonator box on my car. I took out the whole bottom part of the system, cut the outlet of the resonator that led to the air box, thus creating a cold air draw tube. It draws air from the same area as a CAI would. I am now getting 29~30 MPG on my daily commute compared to 26~27 with the complete stock air system. No other changes have been made.
You're assuming it requires less throttle opening with the CAI. 258hp requires less than 300CFM of air. The stock system likely flows over 400CFM. At part throttle you might be averaging 100CFM. The air intake tract might as well be invisible. There would be no difference if you had a bare throttlebody or the entire intake tract installed.

Now assuming that the CAI does have less restriction, all that counts is the air that's making it into the engine. So if you have to open the throttle less due to less restriction at the filter, the same amount of air is getting there to make a given hp.

This myth comes from carbureted cars which when there's vacuum above the carburetor it causes it to go rich (just like a choke) causing a drop in mileage.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

I was assuming the decrease in throttle opening because I could not find another explanation to the increase in MPG I am getting. I am still using the same filter as I was before the "mod" and I have had the new set up now for about 1~1.5 months so the ECU has had plenty of time to relearn. I am baffled. Oh well, who says you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by 4SFED
I was assuming the decrease in throttle opening because I could not find another explanation to the increase in MPG I am getting. I am still using the same filter as I was before the "mod" and I have had the new set up now for about 1~1.5 months so the ECU has had plenty of time to relearn. I am baffled. Oh well, who says you can't have your cake and eat it too.
I am also perplexed on why my mileage would increase just with CAI even after "I hate Cars" explanation. I don't know what else to attribute the increase to. Oh well though........as long as my mileage is good I am ok with it haha.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Look plain and simple go with aem its the best for honda/acura cold air intake .....its like $300.00 but worth it bolts rite up and dont buy the V2 its garbage in my opinion ...
Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TL-S121
Look plain and simple go with aem its the best for honda/acura cold air intake .....its like $300.00 but worth it bolts rite up and dont buy the V2 its garbage in my opinion ...
Amazing people will pay $300 for a $15 piece of pipe with some cool paint and a sticker and a $40 filter (retail).
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Amazing people will pay $300 for a $15 piece of pipe with some cool paint and a sticker and a $40 filter (retail).
I did but then again thats just me i go with intake and wide band aem .... aem is the way to go dude but hey if u can get the same setup cheaper go for it to each its own . i guess i like brand names same thing i did when i had my 95 legend 6speed coupe i dont no .....its just me
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
10th Gear

So what is the best way to improve acceleration in a TL base?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by coldworlder
So what is the best way to improve acceleration in a TL base?
I'll put it this way. Throw all the bolt-ons at it and you're around 270whp. For about the same money, the new turbo kit will put you at 420whp. If I was going for power I would do nothing while saving for the turbo instead of nickel and diming it over time.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
10th Gear

Any recommendations for a base TL; you also mention removing the resonator - what does that mean for a neophyte?