Intake CAI Tech Resornator removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake CAI Tech Resornator removal

I have work with the TL intake system since 99.....I know every single part of the stock TL which is different from 99 to 03 including type S.

Anyways....it is common to remove the resonator on the previous Gen....something I kind of started about 2 years ago, proving that the Stock Intake was as good as an aftermarket (injen, AEM) intake when you remove the resonator and add a performance filter. These days the TL filter is almost as good as aftermarket. The 99-03 TL non type S had a very restrictive resonator and the intake mouth was very small. When you add an aftermarket intake (injen, AEM) you are removing the stock intake thus removing the resonator too.....this is were the most of the gains came from and noise of course.

The Type S intake came with a lager diameter tubing, higher flow filter and smaller more efficient resonator....still increase in power would result by removing it even though it was better than the TL-P (non type S).

I don't own a 04 TL so I will used my previous experience with older TL's and the diagram that rets posted and the pictures some else posted.

Just a little more background on 2gen TL's. I did have a CAI and short ram in my car for testing....currently I have a type S intake box and filter with no resonator. We tested this setup against exact same car with same everything except he had and injen intake. We ran the 1/4 2 times in moroso Florida head to head....I always won by at least .5 seconds. We then ran 2 more times me driving his car and vise versa still same result.

I have also tried a air duct attach from the front bumper to the intake mouth. Lost power, very noticeable.

I made a diagram of what you can do with your 04 TL....I don't recommend taking the resonator because I hope it has been modified to be even more efficient than previous TL's, but please feel free to remove it if prefer. Drawbacks of removing resonator is loudness (some like) and humming or whistling. If you install an aftermarket (injen, AEM) you will be removing the resornator anyhow. AF filter is not nessesary, but then again as you wish.

By removing everything like on diagram you will have a cold air intake that is more likely to induce small amounts of water in comparison with totally stock, but most likely nothing will ever make it to the engine if water is ever inducted.

If I had a 04 I could explain better and provide instructions with pictures something I have done in the past with other components of 2gen TL's.

Enjoy.....

http://www.pifiu.com/upload/uploads/052004/CAI2.jpg
Old 04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I saw it here before, but how do we remove the resonator>? How difficult is it?
Old 04-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting what you've learned from previous gen TL's. This is really helpful. I think the stock CAI is probably quite good. The resonator is hard to access so it's hard to get a good look at it, but it clearly has size on it's side. Interesting observation on trying the bumper inlet and losing power. I was considering that...
Old 04-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro

If i'm not mistaken i think it involves removing the front bumper.....For me that seems like a lot of work....
Old 04-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by coop1018
I think I saw it here before, but how do we remove the resonator>? How difficult is it?
you have seen this one before:

Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
If i'm not mistaken i think it involves removing the front bumper.....For me that seems like a lot of work....
Like I mention before....I don't own the 04 TL, so I can't explain how to remove the bumper etc....

On 2gen it wasn't hard some people even did it by just removing the fender linner, which is the bottom piece in front fo the tire attach to the bumper.

The bumper is just attached with clips and maybe a few screws...nothing challenging, just a time consuming for first timers, after the first time then is a piece of cake.

Look around your front bumper their should be clips on the bottom and when you open the hood their should be some more....at the end of the bumpers on each side there is probably screws (old gen).

Sorry I can't be of much help in regards to the bumper removal, but any other questions please feel free to ask that is what I'm here for.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Instructor

huh
Old 04-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Bitium, you should say this earlier... :o

Good explanation...
Old 05-01-2004, 02:59 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by rets
Bitium, you should say this earlier... :o

Good explanation...
no problem
Old 05-01-2004, 03:12 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I did this in my car a few months ago and I am very happy with it!!! best of all it was free, then I added the K&N. The sound is great and I swear I feel some more pull when I get on it. I highly recommend this, if it is doable like in the 2nd gen.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:22 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by OU Sig
I did this in my car a few months ago and I am very happy with it!!! best of all it was free, then I added the K&N. The sound is great and I swear I feel some more pull when I get on it. I highly recommend this, if it is doable like in the 2nd gen.
For sure, like I mention, most of the gain from aftermarket intakes is not because you addidng them, is because you need to remove the resornator to do it.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:55 PM
DrAnKin HeiNeKeN

I have a 02 TL type s, I have removed my lower resornator near the front bumper and added that K&N filter. I really like the sound more and I do feel a little bit more pull when i punch it. I've heard there is another resornator at the top on the tubing part between the airbox of the filter and the throttle body. I heard it makes it sound way better when removing that also. They recently did a thread on this and I was thining about doing this soon. OU SIG knows about taht one right...
Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
First thing you should know is this. The stock intake system used in the new TLs is NOT a CAI unit! At least this is true for TLs made in the month of July, 2004 so I suspect it's also true for all other 2004's and probably 2005's as well.

Cold Air Intakes receive their air supply from outside the engine compartment, such as in the fender well or under the grill work. With the new TLs, the termination opening of the intake tube is INSIDE the engine compartment, not outside which makes it a WAI unit.

Don't believe me? trace it like I did and you'll plainly see where it terminates. Not only that, but it's rather small and just about 1.5 inches above it is a plastic shroud to help keep debris from entering the duct. This is a restriction to air flow when the engine is running up the RPMs.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

To Bitium;

Nice post. Thanks a bunch. Last fall, I was examining my intake with the idea of maybe substituting the airbox and short flexible throttle body coupling with my Frankencar/Apexi intake I had on my 2002 Altima SE. While anything's possible, this would involve using some reduction couplers since the Acura flexible coupling is of a larger diameter than my fittings for my Frankencar piece. But the results would be interesting, I'm sure. Even though the Frankencar unit is a WAI, when installed in the Altima V6, the area around the filter is quite cool and roughly ambient to the outside air (I took some temperature readings to prove this). With the safety of not having water intrusion problems, this was the filter for me. Besides the thing dynoed at 12-14 WHP over stock and 3 WHP over the Stillen WAI unit. Another nicety was the fact that torque was up across the power band with this intake.

Now in reviewing my Service Manual and my TLs air clean box, I noticed the rubber coupling "sleeve" that connects the airbox to the resonator tube inside of the car's engine bay. I was wondering about just removing that rubber sleeve and letting the large tube from the airbox pickup its air supply from that area. No chance of water intrusion there, plus the area stays relatively cool. And in the event the car has to go in for service, reconnection is a simple thing. Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Oh, your comments about the restrictiveness of the stock intake on former TLs applies to the stock intake on the Altima V6s as well. VERY restrictive, indeed. The Frankencar/Apexi was so effective because it used a smooth, straight midpipe and an excellent Apexi filter. Nothing in the way from the filter to the throttle body (except the MAF). There were three resonators in the stock unit between the opening to the intake (which itself was a joke) and the throttle body. That plus several radical duct shape and size changes along the way really restricted air flow.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
DrAnKin HeiNeKeN

The TL type S does not have that upper resornator that I was talking about. I think it is only on the TL-p.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced

I have a 05 TL 6MT and I'm going to get the AEM CAI installed next week. Do I have have to take the resonator off to increase the HP? Or is it more of an audio thing??
Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Another thread brought back from the dead 2.2 years later!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sunny201
Another thread brought back from the dead 2.2 years later!

I know that you know that your the best, but some of us don't know everything that you know...that's why we ask. If your going to not help, then please keep it to yourself. Thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
u can mod the stock intake but it's probably not even worth it cus it doesn't reach to where cold air flows into the bottom of the front bumper. just pony up the cash and get a aem/fujita/injen CAI from one of the vendors. it's more than worth the <$250 you'll pay.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wasupdog
u can mod the stock intake but it's probably not even worth it cus it doesn't reach to where cold air flows into the bottom of the front bumper. just pony up the cash and get a aem/fujita/injen CAI from one of the vendors. it's more than worth the <$250 you'll pay.

Oh, I did order the AEM CAI, but I'm not too sure what's up with the resernator. Do I just take it off? Or replace it??
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
It's a bit confusing that your asking the question here and also in your newly created thread: Need some help w/ AEM CAI.

I've just responded with more links in the thread above.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by eduble2
Oh, I did order the AEM CAI, but I'm not too sure what's up with the resernator. Do I just take it off? Or replace it??
All of the stock intake comes out when you install the AEM. Resonator included.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SER272
All of the stock intake comes out when you install the AEM. Resonator included.
Thanks! That's the answer that I was looking for!!