Increase steering wheel resistance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Increase steering wheel resistance?

Hi, ever since I started driving my TL I have noticed that the steering wheel is really sensitive to turning. Is there any way we can adjust, or buy something to increase the resistance? It seems quite unstable on the road compared to newer cars that I have driven.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
What year and how many miles on the car?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
could try the Type S steering rack. Have heard good things about that but not sure if it'll give you exactly what you're looking for but a lot of base TL's have said the Type S rack feels better to them.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^we found out that its not the steering rack, as both type-s and base have the same steering ratio..
simply replacing the rack with a NEW one will get you that tight feeling again.

Originally Posted by skh
So this mod is very interesting to me. I just got a new to me TL (2004 6MT wNavi) and one of the two things that I don't is the steering (the other is the Navi it is never right/outdated???)

My concern with this mod is most places that sell re-manufactured parts don't tell you if it came from an "S" model or not. So I started looking into what the differences are. From OEM part stores there is a difference in part numbers: Type-S and BASE. So there must be a difference right? Well I was unable to verify if the steering ratio actually is different. See here. And after further investigation it looks like from these pages Type-S and BASE the only difference is the valve housing. So there is a difference but it is not the ratio that changes it's only the valving.

Can someone who has done the mod and/or someone with a 07-08 Type-S See how many turns lock to lock is, so we can see if the Type-S has a quicker rack? If the rack is the same it looks like we can just buy a new valve housing for $45 and be on our way (granted it will probably be a little more difficult than just a straight swap...)

It does not look like you can change the valving in the PS pump though, that one we will have to buy as a unit.

Thanks
Originally Posted by I hate cars
WTF... I'm finding 2.8 for the S from 10 different websites. Only found one for the base and it said 2.77! Going to check my base right now to confirm. Maybe Type S owners should upgrade to the base rack lol. Results in a few.
I got just a hair over 2.5 turns so the 2.77 looks to be right for the base. This really sucks as it was one of the mods I was looking forward to. It looks like all you get with the Type S rack is harder steering.
After figuring out both racks have the same ratio, I would not waste money on this mod. The only thing you get is a wheel that's harder to turn without the benefits of a quicker steering ratio. You're spending $350-$500 in parts alone to make your steering wheel harder to turn with no performance benefit.
You're welcome.

I was really disappointed to find this out. This was on my short list to do. When I was testing the lock to lock turns I was turning slowly and hoping the wheel would keep turning but it didn't. When it stopped just past 2.5 I was like .

Last edited by justnspace; 05-24-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I believe tires and suspension have a big part to do with steering feel. Mushier side walls loosens the steering and so does worn out and softer shocks.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
so my type-s is same as base tl with only the valve thing different?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I believe tires and suspension have a big part to do with steering feel. Mushier side walls loosens the steering and so does worn out and softer shocks.
I agree.

When I got my 06 AV6 with only 20k miles, the steering was VERY tight and heavy. I loved it. Now at 64k miles (majority being NY driving) I need all new struts, and my compliance bushings, lower ball joints, and damper fork bushings in the control arms all went bad.

My steering is noticeably wandery and light when compared to new. Even after replacing the compliance bushings (the others still need replacing).

Basically, check the suspension
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
what youre describing sounds like tram-lining. are your tires worn out?

if you want heavier steering, get an under-drive pulley.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
buy tires with better grip
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So people don't like the "Feather Light" steering? I love it, I couldn't stand my wheel being rough to turn. Didn't feel so confident when it was rough, in-case something happened.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i like some resistance. my mom in laws cadilac sterring wheel had none what so ever
Old 05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thats how mine is, i can use my index to easily turn the wheel at 10mph... sooo smoooth haha...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
what youre describing sounds like tram-lining. are your tires worn out?

if you want heavier steering, get an under-drive pulley.
Does an underdrive pulley really do that?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by Drewman752
Thats how mine is, i can use my index to easily turn the wheel at 10mph... sooo smoooth haha...
I guess some people prefer it loose...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
flush your ps fluid
Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
i feel that the steering on my 06 AT TL was heavier than my 07 MT TL-S
i prefer the heavier steering to be honest...
what suspension mods should i be doing? already got brand new tires
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Racer

I have brand new Falken ZX tires and have Tein SS suspension, so I dont think those components are contributing to my feather light steering. Isn't an underdrive pully more used for acccelleration and not steering? I am confused!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
The pulley underdrives the power steering pump as well, causing more resistance.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i like the tighter feel also .. on all my old vws i just pulled the power steering out .. on my tl it seems like some days the steering wheel is tighter than on other days , i still havent gotten to the bottom of it yet .. when i first bought my tl i was blown away on how tight and solid it felt , the car literally felt like it was made out of one solid piece of metal.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My steering is too light too. Especially at high speed I want it 'tighter' .
I have A-spec shocks, H&R sport springs, Progress RSB and RV6 front strut bar... Falken 452's
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by eh? spec
My steering is too light too. Especially at high speed I want it 'tighter' .
I have A-spec shocks, H&R sport springs, Progress RSB and RV6 front strut bar... Falken 452's
A stiffer fsb will make it feel more stable at higher speeds.

Tighter can mean a lot of things. Do you have too much on center play in the wheel? Is it just too easy to turn? Believe it or not, replacing my stock fluid with Amsoil helped out in the steering feel department. If feels lighter at low speeds and the same or heavier at higher speeds.
The following users liked this post:
eh? spec (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A stiffer fsb will make it feel more stable at higher speeds.

Tighter can mean a lot of things. Do you have too much on center play in the wheel? Is it just too easy to turn? Believe it or not, replacing my stock fluid with Amsoil helped out in the steering feel department. If feels lighter at low speeds and the same or heavier at higher speeds.
Thank you, I will try that. Its more that its just too easy to turn, not really the centre play issue. My brother is an amsoil distributer.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eh? spec
Thank you, I will try that. Its more that its just too easy to turn, not really the centre play issue. My brother is an amsoil distributer.
If that's the case, I believe the Type S pressure relief valve is a direct drop in on the base power steering pump. It should lower pressure and increase steering effort. If I remember right it doesn't cost too much.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
^Hey IHC - do you think you can refer us to a part number by any chance? Did you do this yourself? This sounds like a promising, affordable solution that can help out with this soft steering issue which i have myself ... a pita if you ask me @_@
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Here's the thread. It looks like the diagram with part numbers is down but I'm sure they're in there somewhere. It looks like the entire pump assembly is pretty cheap as well. If you end up doing it, let me know, I would be interested in whatever changes you notice.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

^think you're missing the thread link haha

Did a quick search - is this the thread you were referring to? I actually posted in here a while back thinking the entire overhaul replacement would be the only solution, but reading the last post, I guess only replacing the type-s valve housing would provide a substantial difference in steering "sloppiness"

I think I may give this a go and replace the steering fluid at the same time hrmmm

PS- please correct me if im wrong ihc - thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

wow that's pretty embarrassing ... i forgot to include a link as well @__@

Here it is: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=steering+pump
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I think I'll try the Amsoil fluid for starters. My car only has 74k on it, but I hate the way the steering feels at higher speeds. I never realized how much I didn't like it until I drove a 335i last year. Not sure if it had the active steering or not, but either way, it had the sport package and ~25k and made my car feel like a '76 Eldorado in comparison. I know, I know it's the benchmark of sport sedans I'm comparing to, but I've got the Progress RSB ready to install when I get the chance, and I really want to improve the steering feel as well.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
I know this would be a big change for the TL being it has tons of features on the steering wheel but a smaller steering wheel would give a "tighter" feeling to it. My new NRG wheel is probably about an inch smaller than the stock one and I think the steering is much more responsive.

Again Disclaimer - many wouldn't do this but I figured I'd throw it out there anyways.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
wow that's pretty embarrassing ... i forgot to include a link as well @__@

Here it is: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=steering+pump
Lol. At least I have my old age to blame.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't think this is needed unless you're have to replace your rack. I've had mine flushed and changed. I also have coilovers, aftermarket strut tower brace, and fresh tires. Steering response is great!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I think I'll try the Amsoil fluid for starters. My car only has 74k on it, but I hate the way the steering feels at higher speeds. I never realized how much I didn't like it until I drove a 335i last year. Not sure if it had the active steering or not, but either way, it had the sport package and ~25k and made my car feel like a '76 Eldorado in comparison. I know, I know it's the benchmark of sport sedans I'm comparing to, but I've got the Progress RSB ready to install when I get the chance, and I really want to improve the steering feel as well.
I'm going to try out the amsoil fluid as well

Originally Posted by vill0169
I know this would be a big change for the TL being it has tons of features on the steering wheel but a smaller steering wheel would give a "tighter" feeling to it. My new NRG wheel is probably about an inch smaller than the stock one and I think the steering is much more responsive.
Again Disclaimer - many wouldn't do this but I figured I'd throw it out there anyways.
haha very true but thanks for the input - I'm sure quite a few would consider this option as well. I love the volume control to be honest though haha

Lol. At least I have my old age to blame.
LOL

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I don't think this is needed unless you're have to replace your rack. I've had mine flushed and changed. I also have coilovers, aftermarket strut tower brace, and fresh tires. Steering response is great!
Very true - defining what "tight steering" means to different people is a very subjective topic. I have coilovers, aftermarket strut (mine didn't technically stiffen the pts to be honest-more aesthetic), rsb, new tires and just got a recent all-around balance+alignment and yet I still feel like there can be a little improvement for my liking. I know those damned compliance bushings are a contributor to this lack of response on my part as well ... have the parts, but just never got around to get them press-fitted much to do!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^we found out that its not the steering rack, as both type-s and base have the same steering ratio..
simply replacing the rack with a NEW one will get you that tight feeling again.
Ratio != firmness

And a type-s pump will help with firmness at higher rpms...

Say what you will but these two mods are still on my list. But I understand the firmness is mainly coming from a newer rack.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Does tire pressure help with the center free play at all? I feel like I can get better steering but not sure what PSI is recommended for "stiffer" steering.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Ratio != firmness

And a type-s pump will help with firmness at higher rpms...

Say what you will but these two mods are still on my list. But I understand the firmness is mainly coming from a newer rack.
All else being equal, a quicker ratio will make the steering firmer. The type s rack will not increase effort at all over a new base rack. I would go with whatever is cheapest.

The power steering pump is where the big changes can be made.

I still don't get why people want heavier steering. If it means less torque steer or a quicker ratio or better feedback it would make sense but it does none of these, it just makes you work harder.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I don't know. I'm going to flush my ps fluid this weekend and see what kind of results I get. But even my wifes civic, the steering just feels soooo much better then the TL. It's solid. I know there are a lot of parts at play there, and it's apples and oranges, but it is one of the few things I dislike about my car.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to chime in on this...as I have had my 2008 base TL for about 5 months. In the time that I have had it, I replaced all four rotors and pads, had an alignment done, and replaced the tires with 190$ michelin primacys. All in hopes to get rid of the high frequency vibration (or "uneasiness" in the wheel at higher speeds, for a lack of a better term). The replaced rotors helped with a shudder that I felt when braking from high speeds. But I still have a weird feeling in the wheel at high speed, and when driving long distances it drives me crazy. It really pisses me off cause its literally the only thing i hate about the dam car. Could it be a 'worn out' steering pump? sounds dumb but not ruling anything out at this point.

Car has 40k miles on it...please keep the posts rolling on this thread
Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjcudak
I have to chime in on this...as I have had my 2008 base TL for about 5 months. In the time that I have had it, I replaced all four rotors and pads, had an alignment done, and replaced the tires with 190$ michelin primacys. All in hopes to get rid of the high frequency vibration (or "uneasiness" in the wheel at higher speeds, for a lack of a better term). The replaced rotors helped with a shudder that I felt when braking from high speeds. But I still have a weird feeling in the wheel at high speed, and when driving long distances it drives me crazy. It really pisses me off cause its literally the only thing i hate about the dam car. Could it be a 'worn out' steering pump? sounds dumb but not ruling anything out at this point.

Car has 40k miles on it...please keep the posts rolling on this thread
You should take your car to a reputable location that does road force balances. It truly will help. Check out this link to find a location near where you live that can do it for you.

http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm

For me, the vibrations started to come when I hit about 60 and became unbarable when I would be driving 75-80 mph... I HATE IT!