Im hungry for Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont understand why people are comparing GTR's and high end cars in this thread. And the one guy told him to buy a new M3 ??? For what he spent on the 06 TL, I imagine he wasn't looking to spend 50k+

For the amount he spent, I feel he could have bought a C5 vette, did some bolt ons and then had something that would smoke mustangs. Or an evo, sti, etc...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
If the boss says it's okay then what are you waiting for?
No green light yet.

I just started working on her a few weeks ago about me looking for a replacement car in case something happened to my TL.

This past weekend I started teaching her what an EVO is. Her reply was "As long as you don't want a Corvette. I hate men that drive Corvettes."

I showed her videos of the EVO jumping over hilly roads and doing rally'ing in the dirt. She asked "Who makes that car?. I told her Mitsubishi, and she said "That's a good brand".

Next stage is to work on maybe keeping both cars.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You really need to keep both cars. If you're being honest with your wife that it's going to become a mild project car then you also should be honest with yourself and understand that you need to have a reliable car to DD. Because as soon as you start modding it it's going to be less comfortable and less reliable and more expensive to drive every day...just like IHC said.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
You really need to keep both cars. If you're being honest with your wife that it's going to become a mild project car then you also should be honest with yourself and understand that you need to have a reliable car to DD. Because as soon as you start modding it it's going to be less comfortable and less reliable and more expensive to drive every day...just like IHC said.
What this guy says. MY TL is strictly DD. It will have a few upgrades here and there but nothing to compromise the car.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NAiL05
What this guy says. MY TL is strictly DD. It will have a few upgrades here and there but nothing to compromise the car.
My thoughts exactly. My G35 is sports sedan that is suppose to have sporting character while being able to transport 4 adults in relative comfort and style. I've made sure that everything I've done to the car doesn't compromise comfort, NVH, safety, or driveability. I will eventually buy a fun car that will essentially be a "race car". I will be happy to compromise a lot in order to have the car truly perform on the auto-x and possibly the road course. Whether that car is a 350Z, S2000, Miata, or Elise, I don't know.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
From what I've heard about Inaccurate, his idea of a DD is a little different
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
trade in your TL.
Pretty much the best quote in this thread if you want to go hanging with the big boyz. Been there done that....

You can dump a WHOLE lot of money in a TL and go nowhere fast. Great cars...love em...raced mine and did well....but fact is...beyond some autocross and minor track stuff...the TL is dogshit so far as hanging with the V8's of the world...manual OR automatic. Sure...you can hang with a stock mustang...if that makes you happy.

Line up next to me and lets see what happens by the end of the quarter mile though...lol. I think I have a total of $20,000 invested in my car in comparison to $56,000 or so in the TL...and for less than half the money can WALK away from that TL in a race side by side. And last I checked...both the TL and CTS-V were luxury line cars...lol. I simply could not see continuing to dump money into a car that was never going to hang with the top tier cars at the drag strip.

If I owned a TL again....I would do some minor mods to it and leave it alone. Great car...no reason to fuck with it beyond personal taste. You only suffer reliability issues as a result the more you do.

Not saying the CTS-V is the worlds best animal either...but dollar for dollar...IMO you cant get a better investment for power to dollar spent ratio....and I bet I could outhandle a TL any day of the week on the track...again...for less than half the money I had into the TL.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM

btw.. how's your neighbor treating your TL? Is it rolling on 20's with 15's in the trunk?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Dave_B
My thoughts exactly. My G35 is sports sedan that is suppose to have sporting character while being able to transport 4 adults in relative comfort and style. I've made sure that everything I've done to the car doesn't compromise comfort, NVH, safety, or driveability. I will eventually buy a fun car that will essentially be a "race car". I will be happy to compromise a lot in order to have the car truly perform on the auto-x and possibly the road course. Whether that car is a 350Z, S2000, Miata, or Elise, I don't know.
I have a G35x that will make your mouth water that a buddy of mine owns....rear mount STS turbo on it....fun car!

I think it is the only G35x with this setup anywhere. At least it was when he bought it...somebody may have done it again by now.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^sleeper.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Majofo
btw.. how's your neighbor treating your TL? Is it rolling on 20's with 15's in the trunk?
Nope...he replaced the motor...sold some of the performance parts off of it to another member on here (supercharger, BBK setup, ect) and is more or less rolling around stock at this point with the A-Spec options and thats it. Hell...I think he even sold the A-Spec steering wheel off of it. lol
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM

damn.. oh well.

btw, that g35x, how's the boost lag?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by justnspace
^sleeper.
I think he would sell it if you are interested....he had it up for sale not long ago for like $13,000.

http://tinylink.in/6C1

edit: just read your last post....he doesnt really have much of an issue with boost lag honestly. We talked about that recently...lol. He was suprised is wasnt terrible...but I guess these systems are designed fairly well for the most part.

Back on topic....I just dont see this guy beating any respectable Mustangs with a TL. Perhaps a stocker V6...but those even are getting to the TL stage of power out of the box.

My bottom line statement: The TL is a GREAT car....with great looks and great components to it....first class electronics...rides great...ect. You can have a lot of fun with an Acura TL. But when it comes down to brass power....if thats what you are into....the TL will fall short of what you will need.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gosh that piping is low to the ground on that G35x... I know it's mounted where the wheels are to help with speed bump clearance but I would literally be terrified to drive over anything in the road...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

I'd be scared to drive it in a drizzle. But it must make for a hell of an autoX car.

As for OP, with that new turbo setup that pass427 has, do you think he'd stand a chance at least from a roll? Say 40-100?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Gosh that piping is low to the ground on that G35x... I know it's mounted where the wheels are to help with speed bump clearance but I would literally be terrified to drive over anything in the road...
That X is ghetto fabulous so many ways. I'm not a fan of the rear mount turbo setups because I'm of the mindset that if factory engineers don't think it's a good idea, then neither do I. I've seen videos of this car and the lag seems pretty significant.

If I were to ever come into some money, I've always thought about doing a low boost turbo setup on my G. Smaller turbo that would have minimal lag and would only add about 60-70whp and the same amount of torque. It would take the 3,350lb car from ~235whp to around 300whp/300wtq. That would put the car in the 13.4@106mph range while preserving OEM driveability. I'd also use the OEM internal parts from the Nissan Titan 5AT in the G 5AT (same case, some different internal parts) to improve auto longevity The lower boost, fast spooling turbo would also be easier on the engine and far easier to tune. The sedan would be plenty fast for the street, auto-x, and even the road course. Turbo placement on these cars is cake, assuming you're only doing a single turbo. A small turbo would be even easier.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Dave_B
That X is ghetto fabulous so many ways. I'm not a fan of the rear mount turbo setups because I'm of the mindset that if factory engineers don't think it's a good idea, then neither do I. I've seen videos of this car and the lag seems pretty significant.

If I were to ever come into some money, I've always thought about doing a low boost turbo setup on my G. Smaller turbo that would have minimal lag and would only add about 60-70whp and the same amount of torque. It would take the 3,350lb car from ~235whp to around 300whp/300wtq. That would put the car in the 13.4@106mph range while preserving OEM driveability. I'd also use the OEM internal parts from the Nissan Titan 5AT in the G 5AT (same case, some different internal parts) to improve auto longevity The lower boost, fast spooling turbo would also be easier on the engine and far easier to tune. The sedan would be plenty fast for the street, auto-x, and even the road course. Turbo placement on these cars is cake, assuming you're only doing a single turbo. A small turbo would be even easier.
Yep....probably the same car I am sure. Its an auto as I recall....which makes it a turd right off in many ways..lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

(reading back on the thread a page or so)...speaking of EVO's....this is one of the fastest EVO's in our area that everybody has been chasing time wise....his goal was to get into the 9's this season...not sure if he got there yet or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmTF2CcCTc

And here is two of the fastest cars racing...the S2000 is already in the 9's for top time....9.98 I think....in this race the EVO breaks...S2000 doesnt get good start. He has been having major launch issues I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O36eZjXUuME

I think this is Fathouse's best time last I recall seeing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m_fq43FGJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9-73hzHM8

The S2000 at 9.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1lCjOgoyEM

Last edited by MichaelBenz; 09-14-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh god....good luck with the 2011 Mustang Super Snake! lol

http://tinylink.in/6C8
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
If you're looking for a project car and starting from scratch, don't waste your time with 4 cylinder cars or even 6 bangers for that matter. A 6.0 with 15psi will put down a very easy 600whp with factory street manners and almost non existant turbo lag. You won't have to torture it with 6,000rpm clutch drops. It won't be high strung, power will be everywhere on the tach. The entire drivetrain will be more reliable because you won't have to shock it, you won't be spinning it 8,000rpm to make power, you won't have a super high lift/duration solid cam and ultra stiff springs, lower piston speeds and did I mention a great powerband. It will be all around more reliable.

You can make more power with a small engine than you can ever put down on the street. But you gain reliability and drivability with the larger engines.

Something cheap would be a built forged bottom LS3 with 9:1 compression running 15psi on an otherwise stock engine. You retain full factory drivability and gas mileage. Throw a turbo capable of 700whp and it will spool extremely quick by 2,800rpm with that kind of displacement.

You're basically looking at a forged bottom end and a turbo kit. This will get you more power than you will ever be able to put down at any legal speed on pump gas with a ton of low end torque and drivability.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

2j's are pretty reliable.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I will eat that G for lunch, 120 hp over the blown TL will do fun things. If you like to drag race buy a RWD if you like to embarass them once you get going the turbo is your platform

Last edited by Hi speed; 09-14-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I will eat that G for lunch, 120 hp over the blown TL will do fun things. If you like to drag race buy a RWD if you like to embarass them once you get going the turbo is your platform
I wouldnt say just drag racing. RWD provides more fun value over FWD IMO.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

I agree but I HATE the STS turbo kits. Too much lag especially on small engines. You either have to under size the turbo to get acceptable spool or you make great power 500rpm before you have to shift. The only place they make sense is on a large engine with a moderate sized turbo.

When I saw this car made only 300hp it made sense. Nothing against the car but I figured it was running a fairly small turbo to keep spool acceptable.

It's not the length of intake plumbing that's the problem, it's the length of the exhaust plumbing. The turbo needs to be as close to the heads as possible for best spool. You want the hot exhaust gasses to still be expanding to spool the turbo. At the rear they have expanded and already contracted. You're now doing the equivalent of blowing cool air over the turbine wheel instead of the explosive force and high energy of the exhaust exiting the head.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thats a very subjective statement and is very dependant on what you want to do or accomplish. Overall I would agree.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I agree but I HATE the STS turbo kits. Too much lag especially on small engines. You either have to under size the turbo to get acceptable spool or you make great power 500rpm before you have to shift. The only place they make sense is on a large engine with a moderate sized turbo.

When I saw this car made only 300hp it made sense. Nothing against the car but I figured it was running a fairly small turbo to keep spool acceptable.

It's not the length of intake plumbing that's the problem, it's the length of the exhaust plumbing. The turbo needs to be as close to the heads as possible for best spool. You want the hot exhaust gasses to still be expanding to spool the turbo. At the rear they have expanded and already contracted. You're now doing the equivalent of blowing cool air over the turbine wheel instead of the explosive force and high energy of the exhaust exiting the head.
Why not a twin turbo setup? A smaller one for low-rpm, bigger one for higher revs.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aman
Why not a twin turbo setup? A smaller one for low-rpm, bigger one for higher revs.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Since we were talking Evos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAGU...layer_embedded
*Skip to 1:19*

Daily driven.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

I had to post this because I had it up already posting it in another thread. Another vote for RWD. Pay close attention to the launch. Even though he did not stall it up that much, it flat out moves out of the hole. This is a deep 9 second/140mph street car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzRJnMGY20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyjeepWQIRY
Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Since we were talking Evos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAGU...layer_embedded
*Skip to 1:19*

Daily driven.
The only thing that sucks about that is the incredible lag. It would definately require a nitrous launch to pull a decent 60'. Still a ton of power though. I counted about 4 seconds from the time he hit it till boost hit. That's not going to work in a short stoplight encounter on the street.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Ok, has been beaten to death so I'll make it short. The RWD platform is a much less forgiving platform due to the the drive wheels being in the lightest part of the car. That been said there is something about power sliding a RWD car if you have the skill that is a lot of fun, but push it too hard without the front wheels straight or in a turn and things go sideways literally.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Ok, has been beaten to death so I'll make it short. The RWD platform is a much less forgiving platform due to the the drive wheels being in the lightest part of the car. That been said there is something about power sliding a RWD car if you have the skill that is a lot of fun, but push it too hard without the front wheels straight or in a turn and things go sideways literally.

The drive wheels might be under the lightest part of the car when it's at rest but with weight transfer, you end up with the majority of the weight on the rear tires. That's why RWD hooks so much better than FWD. Going sideways isn't a big deal. If you look at that GN you can see Jason making corrections for the first half of the 1/4. The people you see crashing have no experience sliding. I know I've said this too many times already, I'm even getting sick of myself lol. As long as you respect it, know when not to get on it, and know what to do when something happens, it's perfectly safe.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You can spend thousands in mods to beat a stock Mustang. Then you run into a modded Mustang.

Beware, there are some nasty Mustangs out there. Just from random streetlight encounters I've run into a turbo GT, many supercharged GTs, a Kenne Bell supercharged '03 Cobra, countless nitrous Mustangs. There was a time where I swear, gears, timing bump, exhaust, and a 150 shot were a factory option on the Fox bodies.

Awww damn such a funny post to read, that is true too
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
No green light yet.

I just started working on her a few weeks ago about me looking for a replacement car in case something happened to my TL.

This past weekend I started teaching her what an EVO is. Her reply was "As long as you don't want a Corvette. I hate men that drive Corvettes."

I showed her videos of the EVO jumping over hilly roads and doing rally'ing in the dirt. She asked "Who makes that car?. I told her Mitsubishi, and she said "That's a good brand".

Next stage is to work on maybe keeping both cars.
lol...sounds like me. I want a GTI but also want to keep the TL as a track car (I know...that's a whole different discussion.). I've been slowly bringing up the GTI to my wife. Once she gets used to the idea, I have to figure out a way to keep the TL. I'm thinking this is gonna be a 1 yr+ project for me.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

I love this quote: "As long as you don't want a Corvette. I hate men that drive Corvettes."

Sounds like a smart woman. I like Corvettes and no offense to any Vette owners on this board but 90% of the time, the stereotype of Vette owners applies. Quite honestly, the stereotype and the attitudes I've grown up racing are the reason I'm not in the market for a Vette. The car itself is great.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
That is the day I will truly be jealous of a TL. It will have the performance to back up the looks. With the already awesome suspension I can only imagine what it would do with good weight distribution and RWD.
Do you think its possible?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know the thread has been all over the place, but let me ask you this - why not just keep your TL as a nice DD and get a Mustang as your 'fun' car?

You can get a mildly modded GT/Cobra for around $10k, and no it will not run 11's but it'll sound good and if you desire really fast times its just some $$$ away.

I have spent more money on my Cobra than I planned to, but its dead reliable, sounds pretty badass (IMO), and if I was just after hp numbers I could have thrown a turbo on and made 450rwhp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UZmtYmynpU

It made 411rwhp/395rwtq, all motor 93 octane pump gas. I probably left 10-20rwhp on the table since the a/f is so "safe" (rich). Not too bad for the 'slow' mustang generation I have surprised more than a couple fast cars that thinks its just another loud, but slow, mustang.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

For Inacc, just another AWD vehicle to add to the list. These I actually have a lot of experience with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6s3ng9i1Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qCxssalO0
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
IHC -

How about this line of thought

True that a rwd will transfer a lot of weight to the rear wheels to assist bite. Wight transfer plus sticky tires equals a win. But……

If this is a DD, I doubt that it will be rolling on drag radials during it’s daily commutes. With normal street tires (no R compound), there will be little to no weight transfer because that initial bite is not there to get the transfer started.

When it spins, you MUST back-out as mentioned. But in a stoplight challenge, you will lose the race by having to back-out of the throttle against an awd. High HP is of no use if you must back-out of the throttle to make correction for the rear-end getting sideways.

This is what made me pick the EVO. It does not need 600-800 hp. Just an awesome holeshot plus 400-500 whp plus no squireliness requiring backing-out of the throttle equals a win for a DD doing 0-100 mph sprints.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 09-15-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Im hungry for Mustangs