IM GOING IN! Autowave on Friday

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IM GOING IN! Autowave on Friday

Gonna get my Procats and UR Crank Pulleys load up this friday! I will let you guys kno w if its a worthy investment!
Old 10-03-2006, 08:51 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

how much are you paying? if you wish to pay less for the same excellent work or even better give c&c auto a call. its a great shop i go to for the last few years. they are ase, plus do anything you want. located in la habra. 562-266-3800 ask for chieu or alan. both are family, but if you can talk to chieu ask him for the price. i plan to get my pro and supercharer put in by them in the future...
just thought i would pass on the excellent service and cheaper price then autowave
Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 AM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good luck! let us know how it turns out....
Old 10-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Instructor

anybody else here been to C&C Auto repair? How are they like?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waynema
Gonna get my Procats and UR Crank Pulleys load up this friday! I will let you guys kno w if its a worthy investment!
I'm thinking of getting those mods too so I'm real interested in your feedback. Good luck and can't wait to hear how you like them!
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
wait for me!

I can't wait to get ProCats. I first installed the AEM CAI...nice sound a lil pull but now w/ the UR pulleys the car feels alot lighter more responsive and i can deff feel the pull. VTEC is also really easy to spot feels like im in a RSX . Anyway interested to see how the Pro-Cats work out seeing as they will become my next mod!
Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

someone on the board went to c&c they put on his aem cold air. i cleared out my pm and deleted his pm.. hehe..
if you got the time call or stop by and ask for price, im just trying to save you money ( i hope ) hehe.. either way let us know how it goes, and how much..
Old 10-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmcv6
someone on the board went to c&c they put on his aem cold air. i cleared out my pm and deleted his pm.. hehe..
if you got the time call or stop by and ask for price, im just trying to save you money ( i hope ) hehe.. either way let us know how it goes, and how much..
Kjelly on this board paid $375 for the installation of both. I am going to use his price paid as a basis for my dmg on friday

I cant wait feel the new added pull too...

This is an extract from his mini review (by Kjelly):
I'd have to say the car performs just as I hoped and wished.
The car drives so much more smoother, no more hunting for gears, it's just about right. No supercharger itch yet...

The pulley performs great. From start-up to WOT, the car is smoooooooooooth. The weight difference is amazing. I can't believe the poor engine had to deal with such dead weight. The RPM's just go up without hesitation. No squeaking either with the NAPA belt (knock on wood).

The pro-cats are just as awesome. Everyone's biggest concern nowadays, MPG, has increased. Not doubt about that. I thought I was on crack when my MID said my avg. mpg was 35 when I was crusing at 75mph for 100 miles. There is a bit of a drone at 2000 rpm; nothing too serious orannoying. Hitting VTEC is a much louder sound too. Oh, the shop had to remove one of the axles to remove the rear cat. They tried to slip it in behind the engine, but couldn't since the OEM cat is much bigger than the E-shift ones.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Pro

e

is that price only for the install or with the pulley and belt?

thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That 375 was just for the installation. The belt was another 25 dollars or so. And then the pulley was bought through Excelerate along with the Pro-cats...
Old 10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Instructor

With the Pro-cats, my TL has a deeper growl during acceleration. I can feel the added pull, even without using SS. but it was not as much as I thought it would be. MPG definately increased. I was crusing at 70mph for 50 miles last night @1am, ended up with an avg of 33MPG.

My mechanic -shane @ Autowave said that the built quality of these pro cats are questionable, the parts didnt fit properly on to the car, he had to rework (buffing) the finishing and bend the heat shield inorder to force it into the J-pipe. Therefore, he wouldnt give me a warrenty on the install.
I was suprised, as I didnt open the box until I got to Autowave. For the price I paid, it didnt come with instructions, nor any bolts to connect the cats with. And how on earth did the bolt holes not aligen? Anyhow, it had been properly installed. It took him 4 hrs @ $80/hr.

I will post more comments on these cats when I have a chance.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Just took the OEM cats back home, had to walk up 2 floors of stairs.
man.. they were a lot heavier than the pro cats
Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro

My mechanic -shane @ Autowave said that the built quality of these pro cats are questionable, the parts didnt fit properly on to the car, he had to rework (buffing) the finishing and bend the heat shield inorder to force it into the J-pipe. Therefore, he wouldnt give me a warrenty on the install.
I was suprised, as I didnt open the box until I got to Autowave. For the price I paid, it didnt come with instructions, nor any bolts to connect the cats with. And how on earth did the bolt holes not aligen? Anyhow, it had been properly installed. It took him 4 hrs @ $80/hr.
That's interesting. My Pro-cats came with the bolts. The only things I handed to my mechanic (besides the Pro-cats) were some new gaskets, etc. that I purchased at my Acura dealer.

My mechanic was impressed with the quality of the Pro-cats (or so he told me). Although it was a more time-consuming job than he originally anticipated, he didn't have to rework the parts or remove the axle.

I think that the UR Pulley is the best mod for the money. I very much like the Pro-cats, too.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:35 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

it looks like when they make the pro cats they are not made all equal. if the holes dont line up then the e-shift people are not on top of the game.??
Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmcv6
it looks like when they make the pro cats they are not made all equal. if the holes dont line up then the e-shift people are not on top of the game.??
I guess you are right, I’ve only been hearing good stuff about the cats on this forum. We will see, as time will tell if there will ever be any exhaust leaks...

BTW, after a cold start, I noticed a new sound that I have never heard from my car.
I will try to describe it the best way i can: It seems like water flowing down from a water pipe. After the Car warms up, it eventually becomes unnoticeable. Does any one else here hear the same thing with pro cats installed?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
That's odd. Every set I have seen included the bolts and none had to be re-worked. In order to install these cats though, as with any exhaust product, you can't tighten one side and then install the other side. You have to leave everything loose. If you didn't get bolts that is odd b/c I have opened a number of packages and they have all had bolts and nuts. Also, have your mechanic take pics of what exactly he need to modify b/c I find it odd numerous sets have been sold without any modification. You can email them to me so I can forward them to E-Shift b/c I would like to either see if he is telling stories or if one set actually had an issue. Also what heat shield is he talking about?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Instructor

This is the reply I got from Autowave:

The heat shield is on the right side to keep heat off the half shaft bearing when installed it makes contact with the new cat As far as the bolts i would recommend locking flange nuts.and coted bolts to prevent loosing and corrosion. When installing the A pipe the flanges were alittle off although we got them in they did put some stress on all components. Hope this helps

Shane
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

This is the reply I got from Autowave:

The heat shield is on the right side to keep heat off the half shaft bearing when installed it makes contact with the new cat As far as the bolts i would recommend locking flange nuts.and coted bolts to prevent loosing and corrosion. When installing the A pipe the flanges were alittle off although we got them in they did put some stress on all components. Hope this helps

Shane
Well E-Shift has you remove the the heat shields. If you want to maintain them then yes you can bend them. So bolts are included but yes they could use some locking nuts for an extra measure. And he must have tightened both cats and then tried to put on the J pipe. They should not be tight when installing the J pipe. The cat on the back of the engine can be tight but the front cat should be the last thing tightened according to E-Shift.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Advanced

ended up with an avg of 33MPG.
must be nice i get 12 MPG!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Josh,
It might be a good idea to include some instructions for your future customers. As my mechanic pretty much just guessed how to do the install based on his past experience.

So do you think I should go back and have him remove those heat shields?

Wayne
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Josh,
It might be a good idea to include some instructions for your future customers. As my mechanic pretty much just guessed how to do the install based on his past experience.

So do you think I should go back and have him remove those heat shields?

Wayne
Wayne, I have been pushing E-Shift to give me instructions with pics but have not received them yet. You can leave the shields on.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amm1232710
must be nice i get 12 MPG!
12MPG? I'm assuming you have the procats as well. How's everyone else's gas mileage with the procats?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Pro

I have been averaging 1-2 MPG better since installing the procats (now about 22-23 MPG). Same driving conditions, etc. In fact, I think I've been driving it harder since I've put them on.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody else here been to C&C Auto repair? How are they like?
i have they installed a cold air intake for me
Old 10-13-2006, 01:01 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
12MPG? I'm assuming you have the procats as well. How's everyone else's gas mileage with the procats?

I'm assuming age has more to do with mpg than anything else. When I was younger I couldnt get the damn car to break 20mpg for some reason...i think it had to do with my right foot.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by apnorm
lol i wish....i only have the s/c
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Well E-Shift has you remove the the heat shields. If you want to maintain them then yes you can bend them. So bolts are included but yes they could use some locking nuts for an extra measure. And he must have tightened both cats and then tried to put on the J pipe. They should not be tight when installing the J pipe. The cat on the back of the engine can be tight but the front cat should be the last thing tightened according to E-Shift.

Do you guys think that the extra heat shield connected to my cats would cause a performance drop? If so, is it worth it to remove it?

After about a month with the cats, I realize that whenever I accelerate hard from a stop (a right turn after a stop light), the cats make a "pop" sound
Does anybody else with the cats have similar experience as I do?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Do you guys think that the extra heat shield connected to my cats would cause a performance drop? If so, is it worth it to remove it?

After about a month with the cats, I realize that whenever I accelerate hard from a stop (a right turn after a stop light), the cats make a "pop" sound
The heat shield won't affect performance. Do you have an exhaust leak? You sure it's the cats?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The heat shield won't affect performance. Do you have an exhaust leak? You sure it's the cats?
The sound came from the front/mid of the car during rapid acceleration, but this doesnt happen when I accelerate in straight line.

Is there anyway to test for exhaust leaks?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Pro

I have not had that problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

The sound came from the front/mid of the car during rapid acceleration, but this doesnt happen when I accelerate in straight line.

If you had an exhaust leak at idle you were hear a "putputputputputput" and you would see a black carbon buildup more than likely. At WOT you would definitely be able to tell if there was an exhaust leak. It would sound like a somewhat muffled gas weedwhacker. I don't know what else it could be other than maybe something is moving around and more than likely if it's a popping sound it is probably something other than the cats. Maybe when they put something back on they didn't tighten it down all the way. Jack the car up and see if anything is loose.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Few ways. If it is a bad leak you can hear it when the car is at idle. If it is a smaller leak, or does not involve any kind of gasket, you might have to put the car up in the air and feel with your hands.

Only if it is a big enough leak will it continue to get louder as you increase in RPMs. Make sure everything is tight and you go over all flanges with your hands to see if you can feel any exhaust coming out of them.

If you really want to get into it you can buy a stethoscope and modify it to place against different parts of the exhaust system that are otherwise difficult to get to.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
it sounds like backfiring to me.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CleanCL
it sounds like backfiring to me.
thats the word i was looking for. Very much like it, but its from the front part of the car.. I will have my dealer check it next week when i do the B2 service
Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
backfires just mean you are running rich and the excess fuel is getting burnt in your cats/exhaust. its not technically a problem, but it will damage the cats in the long run.