IAT relocation with S/C!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IAT relocation with S/C!

last night I was bored so I decided to relocate my IAT sensor back onto the AEM intake tube before th charger. It was very easy.

1) you remove plug from IAT sensor in its original location.
2) unscrew the IAT and relocated it to intake tube and put bolt into original location to seal it.
3) you then cut the wires from the harness and and add about 18 inches of new wire in between cut wire and harness. once you have soldered them, you should then wrap wires with electical tape or I used wire shrink wrap.
4) once wrapped, you then plug harness into sensor located on intake tube.

I have not yet been able to go WOT due to rain in my area this morning but i would assume that i gained a few HP if any. I was also reading, i think the guys with the Water/Methanol injection kits should keep theres in the stock location. reason being, that the temp will be cooler with the water/methanol injection because its located after the nozzle for the kit. the IAT sensor will read the temp with the methanol injection kit which will be cooler than just the intake tube air( at least in the summer, you may benefit from it in the winter).
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blktl1
last night I was bored so I decided to relocate my IAT sensor back onto the AEM intake tube before th charger. It was very easy.

1) you remove plug from IAT sensor in its original location.
2) unscrew the IAT and relocated it to intake tube and put bolt into original location to seal it.
3) you then cut the wires from the harness and and add about 18 inches of new wire in between cut wire and harness. once you have soldered them, you should then wrap wires with electical tape or I used wire shrink wrap.
4) once wrapped, you then plug harness into sensor located on intake tube.

I have not yet been able to go WOT due to rain in my area this morning but i would assume that i gained a few HP if any. I was also reading, i think the guys with the Water/Methanol injection kits should keep theres in the stock location. reason being, that the temp will be cooler with the water/methanol injection because its located after the nozzle for the kit. the IAT sensor will read the temp with the methanol injection kit which will be cooler than just the intake tube air( at least in the summer, you may benefit from it in the winter).
With the boost cooler installed, it all depends on where you have it set to turn on. You can have at an extremely low boost (snow performance recommends it to engage only above 5 psi). I have set mine to only engage at full boost (which is less than 5 psi).

It really depends on your boost cooler pressure regulator setting. If you want to go through gallons of water/methanol a week, leave the IAT where it is. I think I will benefit from the sensor in the intake instead of the manifold..

I moved my IAT sensor yesterday as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The computer needs to know what the air temperature is going into the engine to give a safe and proper air/fuel ratio. Getting improper readingswill not help your air fuel ratio.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burgman
The computer needs to know what the air temperature is going into the engine to give a safe and proper air/fuel ratio. Getting improper readingswill not help your air fuel ratio.
This is why I say I dont think it is a good idea with the boost cooler. the boost cooler for alot of people is located on the elbow of the S/C . you are moving the IAT before that which means the IAT is not reading the correct temp. Just my opinion