I need a flywheel.... :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009 | 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

I need a flywheel.... :)

I have been talking to one of our suppliers who we work with a lot for German applications. They have some of the most streetable clutches I have ever seen, and they are capable of holding big power. I'd like to get something made that could work for the J32/J35 platform. I need a flywheel though.

Anyone have a factory flywheel they want to send to me so I can get this process started?
Old 09-16-2009 | 10:30 PM
I got the Shifts

can get one for u. but will i get it back? and will i get a discount? can i be a prototpe car?
Old 09-17-2009 | 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Well I would need it to make the prototype; I imagine you could probably get it back. But yes I will give you a discount if you supply the flywheel.
Old 09-17-2009 | 09:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

ill check if i have my old one somewhere....and if i do, i dont need it back.
Old 09-17-2009 | 09:51 PM
Green Machine

I hope this works out. The way I drive, I don't give my clutch another 6 months. lol! I need something more, but just as reliable as stock.
Old 09-17-2009 | 09:58 PM
I got the Shifts

opel. let me know if u dont find your old one. ill buy one for excelerate if u cant
Old 09-17-2009 | 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

ill look tomorrow, champ...right now im tired from testing every relay on my freaking car lol ive been curled underneath the dashboard for hrs lol i think i need a new ECM...MOFO...grrrrrr

btw, Exelerate, Can you say the name of the company you're working with? If not, its ok...was just curious
Old 09-17-2009 | 10:26 PM
I got the Shifts

whats your car doing bro?
Old 09-18-2009 | 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Opel
ill check if i have my old one somewhere....and if i do, i dont need it back.
Thank you.

btw, Exelerate, Can you say the name of the company you're working with? If not, its ok...was just curious
At the moment I rather not. Let me see what happens first. I can assure you though that they are already an existing clutch manufacturer and they have been for years. We use a lot of their products on our high hp German cars that come into the shop and we're even using one of their setups for a 700 HP EVO we're building.
Old 09-19-2009 | 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Any plans for an aluminum/steel lined one? It might make the UR pulley look anemic.

The TL is a slow revver, it would probably benefit the guys who actually know how to use a manual transmission to have it rev quicker.
Old 09-19-2009 | 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

IHC..
I agree on the flywheel. Id rather have an AL flywheel and stock crank pulley (keep the harmonic damper)
And it is a slow rever, cause the crank counterweights are so freaking heavyyyy
Exelerate..
I did find my old flywheel, however....I remembered that im in the process of getting a clutch setup from from CM, and id need to send them a flywheel so they can get the ring gear off and press it on the new FW, or just simply get the gear pressed out myself and send it to them.
Unless you wanna work something out with me....im not sure if you deal with CM at all or whatnot. Let me know, PM me, maybe i can get a setup through you. Right now im trying to fix other issues, thats why i haven't gotten a clutch yet.
Old 09-19-2009 | 08:30 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

If someone makes an out of the box clutch kit with a compatible aluminum flywheel then I would be all over it. I know there are places that will put your ring gear on their new flywheel, but I am talking about a 100% brand spankin new flywheel, ring gear, clutch, pressure plate, and have it all made specifically for the TL would be sweet!

Excelerate-Once you get a flywheel from someone, how long do you expect it to take for that company to R&D and have a completed setup?

I still don't need a new clutch for awhile, but I could at least start saving $ for one.
Old 09-20-2009 | 09:05 PM
Team Owner

IHC..
I agree on the flywheel. Id rather have an AL flywheel and stock crank pulley (keep the harmonic damper)
But I like the reliability of the fully counterweighted crank. Those don't affect revability as much as a heavy flywheel just because the mass of the weight is concentrated toward the center of the crank, not 12" from the centerline.

I can only go by my experience with the 951 Porsche and my auto trans GN but it can make a world of difference. The Porsche revved nearly twice as fast with the aluminum flywheel and made it much easier to rev match gears. With the grabby 3 puck clutch coupled with the aluminum flywheel, the low compression ratio, and the turbo lag from the larger turbo, I usually took off spinning the tires because it was easier than slipping the clutch. At the carwash they couldn't get it to move without killing the engine, ended up pushing it. I guess that's a little off topic.

The GN with a 10" non-lockup torque convertor as compared to the stock 12" lockup took nearly 20lbs off the rotating mass. It sounds like a freaking Indy car when it revs. From idle to 5,000rpm and back in barely over a second.
Old 09-20-2009 | 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
But I like the reliability of the fully counterweighted crank. Those don't affect revability as much as a heavy flywheel just because the mass of the weight is concentrated toward the center of the crank, not 12" from the centerline..
i know but i still wish it was a bit lighter lol. i forgot to meausure the flywheel lol...but its fucking heavy
Old 09-22-2009 | 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

IHC..
Exelerate..
I did find my old flywheel, however....I remembered that im in the process of getting a clutch setup from from CM, and id need to send them a flywheel so they can get the ring gear off and press it on the new FW, or just simply get the gear pressed out myself and send it to them.
Unless you wanna work something out with me....im not sure if you deal with CM at all or whatnot. Let me know, PM me, maybe i can get a setup through you. Right now im trying to fix other issues, thats why i haven't gotten a clutch yet.
Yes we can get you the CM clutch kit but I'm not sure how that will work since they're taking your ring gear. I would need a flywheel with a ring gear for prototype purposes.

But I can still help you out on the CM clutch. PM me with what setup you're looking for? Stage 3/4? Shipped to where?