HonData Flash Pro for '07-'08 Base TL and '07-'08 TLS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I think its in the middle of the dash... not sure though.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Another question for Hondata, will there be any type of control over the automatic transmission, such as adjusting line pressure or firmness?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by NIGHTEHAWK
I've been talking to my friend at a tuner shop here, he works a lot with Hondata, I'm gonna see what we can do to make this work, hopefully we can make something work so we dont get left out.
If you have a 5AT, short of replacing the engine, transmission and harnesses, it is simply not physically possible.

Originally Posted by 3gstealth
Where exactly is the ecu located? I would like to check the part # on mine.
It's behind the center console compartments. You get to it by popping the retainer and pulling back the carpet. I am pretty sure the sticker is on the side you can't see so you'll have to remove 2 bolts one accessed on the driver side and one on the passenger side. The connectors are on the passenger side.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

Originally Posted by KN_TL
If you have a 5AT, short of replacing the engine, transmission and harnesses, it is simply not physically possible.
I know what you mean but anything is possible with money, there must be something that can be done without swapping engines and tranny's other than the current option.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
Another question for Hondata, will there be any type of control over the automatic transmission, such as adjusting line pressure or firmness?
Ive asked that already and thats a negative. Strictly anything that deals with engine management with the exception of there traction control system.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I don't believe the 04/06 ECU's are easily flashed but the 07/08's are.

If I weren't already satisfied with the MS3, I would be looking into the chance of retrofitting a new ECU into an older model.
You are correct. I just checked the FAQ section at the Hondata site- the following blurb does not sound promising:

- Why wont this work for the 04-06 Acura TL?

The 07 Acura TL was the first TL to use the CAN programming protocol. This allows the ECU to be programmed in under 2 minutes and easily recover from programming mishaps such a drop in battery voltage or accidentally disconnecting the FlashPro during programming. The 04-06 TL ECUs take much longer to program (making them less suitable for dyno tuning) and are susceptible to damage rendering them unusable should the programming process be interrupted. FlashPro cannot program ECUs using the earlier K-Line communications protocol.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Important question: can hondata do anything about the heatsoak issues that TL's have? Now that it's winter I have been getting so much more power and throttle response. Some ppl speculated the heatsoak is due to sensors and stuff retarding timing or whatever, so can hondata fix this by any chance?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
^ you can fix that yourself! UCM
The following users liked this post:
paperboy42190 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Brock

Received 236 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
Important question: can hondata do anything about the heatsoak issues that TL's have? Now that it's winter I have been getting so much more power and throttle response. Some ppl speculated the heatsoak is due to sensors and stuff retarding timing or whatever, so can hondata fix this by any chance?
You would need a thermal intake manifold gasket and possibly a thermal throttle body gasket.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Big plans not enough $$$

^ I know, I did the coolant bypass amd took the engine covers off...no more heat soak.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 PM
The Track Terror

I believe flashpro will allow you set all those timing and fueling parameters according to RPM and load even without all those gaskets or other cooling mods you do...but you can still have those gaskets if you really feel like it...

Flashpro pretty much tells the engine what to do at all times regardless of the temperature. It overrides the sensors that would tell the factory ECU what to adjust... it gives you almost complete control of the entire engine...

Check this out:

http://hondata.com/help/flashpro/ind...rol_tables.htm

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 12-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM
The Track Terror

http://hondata.com/help/flashpro/ind...ion_tables.htm

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 12-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 293 Likes on 141 Posts
Very interesting.. watching thread for more info and results..
Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

sub'd
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 AM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Euro-R_Spec_TSX
You would need a thermal intake manifold gasket and possibly a thermal throttle body gasket.
HonData appears to make heat shields for other vehicles already.
http://hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

I would be interested in an offering from them as their price point is half what P2R or Outlaw Engineering charge.

Originally Posted by pohljm
^ you can fix that yourself! UCM
UCM is a great mod to help address the issue of heatsoak as well.
There are various iterations of UCM that allow you to retain your wipers and look fairly clean once done.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Since it looks like no hope for the 04-06 TL, will the swap for the newer TL's ECU's work without issues? And if so, will the TL-S 6mt work in the 04-06 6mt since all the 07-08 base are autos?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
Since it looks like no hope for the 04-06 TL, will the swap for the newer TL's ECU's work without issues? And if so, will the TL-S 6mt work in the 04-06 6mt since all the 07-08 base are autos?
I don't know if anyone can answer that without actually trying.

The Type-S has some additional pins and I don't know if the firmware will act gracefully if those are absent.

I was going to try but the ECU is going to be around $400, then you need an HDS, HIM or something to setup the ECU/Immobilizer which at this point the cost is unknown to me. If you have an 04/05 you'll need to rewire your harness or use a boomslang or aem to match up the pins. I've got all the pins mapped out so it's seems physically possible.

The other complicating factor is that Hondata doesn't support J32 swaps so they may not support this either. I emailed them but they're closed all this week.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interested in this but only if gains would be around at least 20 hp for type s with a few bolt ons...its still pretty damn expensive for what it is
Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by type-s'er
interested in this but only if gains would be around at least 20 hp for type s with a few bolt ons...its still pretty damn expensive for what it is
C'mon man don't mislead people by saying it's expensive for what it is. It's actually pretty affordable. This is for a TL, not a Honda civic. The mod community isn't as big for the TL so things will always cost a bit more. This is more than affordable for what it gives you control over.

The only other tuning solution available for the TL is the JnR which clearly won't ever be more than the few people who bought it initially for twice as much money as the Hondata Flashpro costs, lol. Then there's the minimal AEM FIC which gives you such limited control AND you have to build the harness for it.

700 bucks for the Flashpro is going to give you the ability to actually take the car beyond just bolt-ons. The base maps alone should give you 10 whp which for 700 bucks on *this* particular car is a good amount, but unlike bolt-ons like PCD's, this lets you go beyond just the initial gains.

I fully expect 15-20 whp with full bolt-ons, which is damn good gains, but to have a solution for 700 bucks that allows us to take our cars beyond just bolt-ons is invaluable. This creates tons of potential for NA builds i.e. cams, higher compression, ported heads, and those of us who are running the 3.7 intake manifolds.

I don't blame you for waiting at all to see what people will get out of it, but really I think you should have a bit more faith. This is Hondata, after all. Have you seen the gains that their flashpros give on a bone stock RSX Type-S? Pretty impressive.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
^ It's actually not a bad price at all. ILC beat me to it.

Last edited by Sonnick; 12-23-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM
The Track Terror

Originally Posted by type-s'er
interested in this but only if gains would be around at least 20 hp for type s with a few bolt ons...its still a pretty damn good deal for what it is
^^^ fixed....and just to reiterate what ILC and Sonnick just said, this will clearly be the best mod for the TL...it does so much for what it is. You clearly have no working knowledge of what Flashpro and devices like it are...I suggest you do ALOT more research on this before you make statements like that again...no need to steer people away from this...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 12-23-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Would this allow adjustment over the behavior of the car? Such as, throttle 'sensitivity', fuel cut thresholds, fan temp, idle speed, cold idle, and possibly remove the DBW 'limit' at very low RPM's?

I'd love to be able to have more dynamic control over the fan, such as a separate turn on temp when the IAT's exceed a predefined threshold, or even are below a threshold.

Could it be used to help rev match upshifts assuming you don't skip gears? Possibly hang at the appropriate speed for the next gear when the clutch is depressed, and then fall back down if the gear is not selected for something like .5 seconds, or of course if the clutch is let back out not in gear. Especially when the engine is very cold, RPM's hang for a very long time between gears. However, when the engine is hot, RPM's drop way faster than I would like between gears. A bit more consistency would be nice. A bit lower cold idle speed would likely help, as long as it won't make any substantial impact aside from increasing catalyst warmup time.

I'm sure theres more I would like it to do, but it's probably a bit optimistic even asking for this.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
The Track Terror

Check it out...go to Hondata's website and look it up yourselves:

http://hondata.com/

Also check out what others do with their Flashpro:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/honda...-flashpro.html

And that last part, so you want more rev-hang? Yes, Flashpro will give you more or less rev-hang if you want...you can input the data necessary for your engine to do that. And yes you can adjust at what temperature the fans kick in, fuel cut off, max mph speed, raise rev limit, cook you dinner, take out the trash, mow the lawn...all the good stuff...
Old 12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by i_love_cars
C'mon man don't mislead people by saying it's expensive for what it is. It's actually pretty affordable. This is for a TL, not a Honda civic. The mod community isn't as big for the TL so things will always cost a bit more. This is more than affordable for what it gives you control over.

The only other tuning solution available for the TL is the JnR which clearly won't ever be more than the few people who bought it initially for twice as much money as the Hondata Flashpro costs, lol. Then there's the minimal AEM FIC which gives you such limited control AND you have to build the harness for it.

700 bucks for the Flashpro is going to give you the ability to actually take the car beyond just bolt-ons. The base maps alone should give you 10 whp which for 700 bucks on *this* particular car is a good amount, but unlike bolt-ons like PCD's, this lets you go beyond just the initial gains.

I fully expect 15-20 whp with full bolt-ons, which is damn good gains, but to have a solution for 700 bucks that allows us to take our cars beyond just bolt-ons is invaluable. This creates tons of potential for NA builds i.e. cams, higher compression, ported heads, and those of us who are running the 3.7 intake manifolds.

I don't blame you for waiting at all to see what people will get out of it, but really I think you should have a bit more faith. This is Hondata, after all. Have you seen the gains that their flashpros give on a bone stock RSX Type-S? Pretty impressive.
Yeah, it's actually a damn good price, even with the additional cost to have it pro tuned on the dyno. I don't think some people realize the overall improvements possible in day to day drivability that will come with a good tune. Raise/lower vtec, get rid of annoying rev hang, smooth out the idle for those of us with the 3.7 manifold and TB. Mid range gains should be solid. It's hard to put a price on all that, but even at 1100-1200 all in, including a custom tune, it's about on par price-wise with a catback that gives you 6-8 whp and a better sound.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
I'd be more interested in vehicle specific information, rather than what the unit is capable of on other platforms.

I don't really want 'more' rev hang, but rather intelligent, configureable rev hang thats consistent.

That page says they don't touch DBW configs, which is what I assumed.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:56 AM
The Track Terror

^^^ what they do on other platforms is pretty much what they do for all platforms... so that should give you a very good idea of what to expect for the TL...
Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Loving all this info
Old 12-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^ me too but I still want to hear from hondata and if we 04-06 may have a flash pro for us in the future
Old 12-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
The Type-S has some additional pins and I don't know if the firmware will act gracefully if those are absent.

I was going to try but the ECU is going to be around $400, then you need an HDS, HIM or something to setup the ECU/Immobilizer which at this point the cost is unknown to me. If you have an 04/05 you'll need to rewire your harness or use a boomslang or aem to match up the pins. I've got all the pins mapped out so it's seems physically possible.
What I would do is order a blank OBD-II port and make a jumper harness to go from the K-Pro/HDS to the chassis. Any additional pins required by the newer ECU would just have a dedicated line running from the new plug to the ECU jumper harness.

I do have an HDS that you can borrow for a couple of weeks to experiment with it. Seems like the HDS can indeed rewrite the immobilizer codes, but you need the dealership to pull those codes for you first.

For anyone with an '04-'05 considering this, I spent some time earlier to document the pins at the OBD-II port.

Pin 4: GND (BLK)
Pin 5: GND (BLK)
Pin 7: K-LINE (LT BLUE) (ECU plug A14)
Pin 9: SCS (BRN) (ECU plug A16)
Pin 12: WEN (RED/WHT) (ECU plug A24)
Pin 14: CAN Low (ECU plug A26)
Pin 16: 12v+ (WHT/GRN)

According to the service manual, the rest should be blank.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmeyer:
EvilVirus (12-26-2012), thisaznboi88 (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bmeyer
What I would do is order a blank OBD-II port and make a jumper harness to go from the K-Pro/HDS to the chassis. Any additional pins required by the newer ECU would just have a dedicated line running from the new plug to the ECU jumper harness.

I do have an HDS that you can borrow for a couple of weeks to experiment with it. Seems like the HDS can indeed rewrite the immobilizer codes, but you need the dealership to pull those codes for you first.

For anyone with an '04-'05 considering this, I spent some time earlier to document the pins at the OBD-II port.

Pin 4: GND (BLK)
Pin 5: GND (BLK)
Pin 7: K-LINE (LT BLUE) (ECU plug A14)
Pin 9: SCS (BRN) (ECU plug A16)
Pin 12: WEN (RED/WHT) (ECU plug A24)
Pin 14: CAN Low (ECU plug A26)
Pin 16: 12v+ (WHT/GRN)

According to the service manual, the rest should be blank.
Thanks B

I've got everything mapped out, 07 to 08, 07 to 06 and 07 to 04/05

I am away right now but one line on our DLC needs to be relocated for the f-can high pin. I was hoping the pins could be removed easily.

I'll try and post them up soon.

Not quite sure if I will pursue this, I guess it'll depend if Hondata will support it.

Still planning on internals and using those heads so money may be in short supply! At least we have a workable solution.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So uh... Im in if they still need more test tl-s's! =X
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian Huy Xuan Nguyen
So uh... Im in if they still need more test tl-s's! =X
just call your local performance shop. Hondata is done with the testing phase but we haven't had a mass-produced tuning solution for the TL before, so this will be a new car tuning experience for any performance shop you go to.

As such I'm essentially giving my car to my shop for a period of time so they can learn the engine on the dyno with the Hondata and in return they cut me 50% off the cost of the tune.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Just a heads up. I've posted up the Flashpro on our website. Use promo code ACURAZINEFP for the AZ special pricing.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1676074.aspx
The following 5 users liked this post by Excelerate:
Morrissey25 (12-28-2012), Renescent (12-29-2012), SharksBreath (12-28-2012), the fenda rolla (12-28-2012), thisaznboi88 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Just a heads up. I've posted up the Flashpro on our website. Use promo code ACURAZINEFP for the AZ special pricing.

that's a generous discount.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The market for the 04 to 06 is much bigger than the market for the 07 to 08 TL-S. For someone like myself with an 04 TL 6spd I would buy this in a heartbeat if we figure out a solution.

What we know:

Our ECU will not work and Hondata wants nothing to do with us bricking our ECU's.

What we have to do:

Figure out how to exactly replace our ECU with that of a ECU from an 07/08 without causing any complications.

What I want to know:

I can solder, I can make wire harnesses, I will do a good job and I don't mind taking the time to do it. I don't mind buying the flashpro, I don't mind buying an ECU. From a few posts above there is an OBDII pin out and some recommendations. I just purchased a haynes manual for my 04 and I will purchase another one for an 08 TL - S to compare.

Let's get this down, what do we need to do? How do we swap these ECU's? Is it just the ECU that they change to upgrade to CAN or do they change other wiring/units in the car? I'm new to ECU programming and how they operate but I learn quickly. As for the immobilizer codes I have a friend at an audio shop or I can go to a dealership, just tell me what to ask, what I'm dealing with and what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a 2010 Civic Si with Flashpro and it is invaluable to me. I don't know if everyone reading this realizes how much you actually gain from this unit and how better your car will be.

Help me figure this out.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM

you guys know that flashpro and hondata for some other cars like the RSX is like over $1000 and I think the 8th gen civic SI's are like $600+, so honestly the price for the TL's is great.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
This is for a TL, not a Honda civic. The mod community isn't as big for the TL so things will always cost a bit more.
i think hondata for civics is just as expensive if not more lol
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 AM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
im guessing this is compatible with the 2G RL. TLTYPES and RL. same engine
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
The Track Terror

Like ILC said, very generous discount...payment sent for real this time...

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
im guessing this is compatible with the 2G RL. TLTYPES and RL. same engine
NOT AT ALL...it only works for 07-08 Base and Type-S TL's...it's all about the ECU broski...
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts

does this coupon have an expiration date? i wont be purchasing one til closer to tax time.

Quick Reply: HonData Flash Pro for '07-'08 Base TL and '07-'08 TLS