High flow precat gains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I usually take care of the copper color during a wash.
the bumper will need to be rubbed with rubbing alcohol and the tips can be taken care of with bar keepers friend
Just curious, how much time lapses between the bumper/pipe discoloration from the PCDs?

If it's pretty frequently, I wouldn't want to strip the sealant/wax off my paint with rubbing alcohol every time I get browning on my bumper.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I usually take care of the copper color during a wash.
the bumper will need to be rubbed with rubbing alcohol and the tips can be taken care of with bar keepers friend
Get your exhaust and you wont have that problem
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by JJH
Just curious, how much time lapses between the bumper/pipe discoloration from the PCDs?

If it's pretty frequently, I wouldn't want to strip the sealant/wax off my paint with rubbing alcohol every time I get browning on my bumper.
I dont drive daily.
but it starts to lightly brown in a week or 2. if you left it for more than 3 weeks it would be the copper color posted on the 1st page of this thread.

Honestly, its not that bad.
and whats that one saying, oh yeah; you have to pay to play.

so the PCD's do come with compromises. you just have to know what you want.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm thanks for the replies everyone. PCD's are not an option for me due to where I live but I read on heeltoe automotive http://www.heeltoeauto.com/rv6-perfo...s-ua6-ua7.html that it is illegal. As far as I have heard as long as you have a cat you will pass emissions. As I said I live in Allegheny County near Pittsburgh PA.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBumbino
Hmm thanks for the replies everyone. PCD's are not an option for me due to where I live but I read on heeltoe automotive http://www.heeltoeauto.com/rv6-perfo...s-ua6-ua7.html that it is illegal. As far as I have heard as long as you have a cat you will pass emissions. As I said I live in Allegheny County near Pittsburgh PA.
go for the HFPC or TLS cats.
you will see slightly lower yields than that chart is my guess.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced

so for someone with a type-s AT that does not want to worry about constantly cleaning the brown from the bumper or have the smell, is it better to simply buy a jpipe stick and stick with stock type-s cats? I absolutely do NOT want rasp by the way, so after reading this whole thread (and some others) i'm still foggy as to what is the best exhaust set up for someone that wants low-end power, no rasp, and no nasty smell/brown bumper? (don't mean to thread jack OP) just felt that was a relevant Q.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by emilio320
so for someone with a type-s AT that does not want to worry about constantly cleaning the brown from the bumper or have the smell, is it better to simply buy a jpipe stick and stick with stock type-s cats? I absolutely do NOT want rasp by the way, so after reading this whole thread (and some others) i'm still foggy as to what is the best exhaust set up for someone that wants low-end power, no rasp, and no nasty smell/brown bumper? (don't mean to thread jack OP) just felt that was a relevant Q.
Best is SUBJECTIVE.
as there are many products available as you can mix and match and will have a different outcome.

Try the Jpipe first, as its every ones first mod.
there are no draw backs(rasp, bumper discoloration, smell, etc.) while increasing torque throughout the powerband.

Once you get a taste of the mod bug, you might change your mind on what else should be done to the car.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Best is SUBJECTIVE.
as there are many products available as you can mix and match and will have a different outcome.

Try the Jpipe first, as its every ones first mod.
there are no draw backs(rasp, bumper discoloration, smell, etc.) while increasing torque throughout the powerband.

Once you get a taste of the mod bug, you might change your mind on what else should be done to the car.
Hmm fair enough, now i wonder which jpipe currently provides the best clearance without giving up too much power in comparison to the others, my car is kinda slammed and im worried im gonna dent the crap out of it on the various speed pumps i see on a daily basis lol
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by emilio320
Hmm fair enough, now i wonder which jpipe currently provides the best clearance without giving up too much power in comparison to the others, my car is kinda slammed and im worried im gonna dent the crap out of it on the various speed pumps i see on a daily basis lol
moot point as both Vendors have jpipes that have factory clearance.
they both sit up high like the stock pipe.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced

moot point as both Vendors have jpipes that have factory clearance.
they both sit up high like the stock pipe.
Thanks for the quick response, looks like the rv6 v3 should be the way to go for me then, and again sorry for the threadjack OP
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBumbino
Officially, changing any cats at all on any car (regardless of if it's high flow or not) is illegal in all 50 states. It's a federal offense to tamper with catalytic converters. From what I saw about your county though it looks like they just do diagnostic tests? Meaning if your car isn't throwing CEL's it should be fine.

Unlike California where we have tailpipe sniffer test and a visual inspection also . When I did it last month the tech says I have no emissions (I just had 3rd cat off with rv6 v3 jpipe) but "what's that shiny part where the converter should be?"

It's definitely a hassle.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
would getting HFC's make it "unhealthy" while driving the car?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bleak
Officially, changing any cats at all on any car (regardless of if it's high flow or not) is illegal in all 50 states. It's a federal offense to tamper with catalytic converters. From what I saw about your county though it looks like they just do diagnostic tests? Meaning if your car isn't throwing CEL's it should be fine.

Unlike California where we have tailpipe sniffer test and a visual inspection also . When I did it last month the tech says I have no emissions (I just had 3rd cat off with rv6 v3 jpipe) but "what's that shiny part where the converter should be?"

It's definitely a hassle.
From WIKI:
In many jurisdictions, it is illegal to remove or disable a catalytic converter for any reason other than its direct and immediate replacement. In the United States, for example, it is a violation of Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the 1990 Clean Air Act for a vehicle repair shop to remove a converter from a vehicle, or cause a converter to be removed from a vehicle, except in order to replace it with another converter.,[21] and Section 203(a)(3)(B) makes it illegal for any person to sell or to install any part that would bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any emission control system, device, or design element.

So all you vendors: Shame on you
Old 08-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
A Type-S will still gain heavily from the full deletes. Going from 600 cell cats to straight pipes is still a vast improvement. In theory, it's the same flow improvement as going from the stock 900 cell base cats to the 200-300 cell HFC's.

High flow cats do not, in and of themselves. add rasp. I have none.
I can't say if the HFPCs by themselves have rasp, but!...

A type-s with the ATLP V2 j-pipe, "stage 3" exhaust mod and RV6 HFPCs have a bit of rasp between 3000rpm and 3300rpm. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lumyeinjun
I can't say if the HFPCs by themselves have rasp, but!...

A type-s with the ATLP V2 j-pipe, "stage 3" exhaust mod and RV6 HFPCs have a bit of rasp between 3000rpm and 3300rpm. Ask me how I know.
How do you pass CA smog with the HFPC
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
auto-s

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
How do you pass CA smog with the HFPC
But them back on when you have to smog your car then take them back off, that's what I do anyways
Old 08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Get them. You won't be disappointed.

If you were to dyno the HFPCs on a totally stock exhaust for an 08 5AT TL, you'd probably gain 8-10whp. Add a Jpipe and you may gain another 5-6 peak but more throughout the powerband. Add a catback onto that and you will probably gain another 5-6 peak. You can't 'add' the gains together, it doesn't work that way. Just know that after a full exhaust, your car will be noticeably faster at every RPM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Pcds ftmfw
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I got a couple friend who passed smog with jpipe and hfpc in San Francisco which is pretty strict
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 08AcuraTL3
would getting HFC's make it "unhealthy" while driving the car?
it wont make the car unhealthy. the metal core is better,stronger and high flow(CFM).

i went from type s precats to pcd to hfpc. i have good midrange from hfpc. its something i can feel when it throws me back. the pcd have more top end but now im hfpc i have more driviability, streetibilty and i have no fuel smell and CEL. my pcd cause a strong unburned fuel scent and through a CEL so i switched to hfpc.

HFPC will wake up the engine over a type s cat. theres more mid range. HFPC shines down low and in the mid range. the top-end pcd owns.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I would throw something else into the discussion between PCD's, hi-flow precats and J-pipes...Would it be better to replace the stock cats with either pcd's or hi-flows before a j-pipe on a high milage engine? After 150000 miles would cats start to get plugged therefore seeing more gain changing them? I'm trying to decide what to do first and everytime I come to this forum I change my mind...lol
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
^^

It's possible they could be starting to plug up, but then again there's also the chance the third cat is doing the same thing, but not as likely due its placement. I'd just do it all at once.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
Since people are comparing stock, Type S, HFPC, and PCD's in this thread, what about just gutted stocks? I know the opening is a little smaller on the bottom but for somebody like troy above who is concerned he might have clogged high mileage cats, why not just gut them and put them back on with some O2 defoulers? It should have most of the gains of the PCDs. Has anyone ever dyno'd this?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Auto TL-S 78k miles. First time I put it on a dyno. Pretty sure I have an exhaust leak from
Where cats meet jpipe. Stock exhaust and still rocking 3rd cat. I don't get any rasp that I can notice to be honest. You won't be disappointed with either HFPC or PCD. No CELs.

Mods are Rv6 PCD and PnP runners I did myself.

Name:  null_zpsa75ab8e0.jpg
Views: 4307
Size:  129.5 KB

7th car in.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 350
Since people are comparing stock, Type S, HFPC, and PCD's in this thread, what about just gutted stocks? I know the opening is a little smaller on the bottom but for somebody like troy above who is concerned he might have clogged high mileage cats, why not just gut them and put them back on with some O2 defoulers? It should have most of the gains of the PCDs. Has anyone ever dyno'd this?
this isnt really a new concept; people have been gutting cats for EVAR.
even bruce (acktl05)was thinking about offering this service.

my buddy gutted his cats and has the xlr8 v2 jpipe with a custom exhaust.
when we race; we're pretty much dead even.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah I know it's not a new concept but the PCD's are 2.25" outlet and I think the stock ones are under 2". That's why I'm wondering if the gains are worth it over buying some used cats for $100 or less on the BM and gutting them, vs 400 for PCDs. Just curious if anybody dynoed one with stock hollow cats. If mine were clogged I might consider it but that'll probably be a long time from now. I've had other cars with gutted cats and on a larger case it sounds kinda crappy but I don't think it would sound so bad with smaller cats a few inches from the engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM

his car doesnt sound bad like my car does.
and again; when we race we're practically even.
I'll edge him out in higher gears and rpm's but for the most part we stay even.
so, in conclusion; going from a 900 cell cat to a gutted cat does have performance gains to it
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mondo375
Auto TL-S 78k miles. First time I put it on a dyno. Pretty sure I have an exhaust leak from
Where cats meet jpipe. Stock exhaust and still rocking 3rd cat. I don't get any rasp that I can notice to be honest. You won't be disappointed with either HFPC or PCD. No CELs.

Mods are Rv6 PCD and PnP runners I did myself.

7th car in.

http://youtu.be/jNmpac_8urc
Those are pretty solid numbers for just PCD's and ported runners. Most stock auto Type-S's only make 235-240 whp.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
JJH
Drifting

Those are pretty solid numbers for just PCD's and ported runners. Most stock auto Type-S's only make 235-240 whp.
Yeah, those are awesome gains. He should be making ~270-275 with a jpipe.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Doubt he'll pick up 15-20 with just the j pipe. It seems the biggest gains come from whichever is done first, PCD's or j pipe.
The following users liked this post:
NvrDwn (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Doubt he'll pick up 15-20 with just the j pipe. It seems the biggest gains come from whichever is done first, PCD's or j pipe.
This is truth.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
OMG-6SPD

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 350
Yeah I know it's not a new concept but the PCD's are 2.25" outlet and I think the stock ones are under 2". That's why I'm wondering if the gains are worth it over buying some used cats for $100 or less on the BM and gutting them, vs 400 for PCDs. Just curious if anybody dynoed one with stock hollow cats. If mine were clogged I might consider it but that'll probably be a long time from now. I've had other cars with gutted cats and on a larger case it sounds kinda crappy but I don't think it would sound so bad with smaller cats a few inches from the engine.
his car doesnt sound bad like my car does.
and again; when we race we're practically even.
I'll edge him out in higher gears and rpm's but for the most part we stay even.
so, in conclusion; going from a 900 cell cat to a gutted cat does have performance gains to it
What he said^,i have yet to dyno it to see

what power im putting down at the wheels now.

Trying to dyno it where i had my car dynoed

last time on my old heads. Ill post what it sounds

like with XLR8 V2 J pipe,gutted precats & custom

magnaflow 2.5" catback,no resonators (a buddy driving,im recording).

it loud at high rpms,but cruising its good

for being straight piped. No rasp at all.

edit: Here

Last edited by Bada$$VTEC; 02-25-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

That sounds really good.
The following users liked this post:
Bada$$VTEC (02-26-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=Bruce Banner;13953298]From WIKI:
In many jurisdictions, it is illegal to remove or disable a catalytic converter for any reason other than its direct and immediate replacement. In the United States, for example, it is a violation of Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the 1990 Clean Air Act for a vehicle repair shop to remove a converter from a vehicle, or cause a converter to be removed from a vehicle, except in order to replace it with another converter.,[21] and Section 203(a)(3)(B) makes it illegal for any person to sell or to install any part that would bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any emission control system, device, or design element.

So Screw who ever wrote this law! Tell them to go say that to Monsanto or the Oil Companies or Coal Or Fracking those ass-holes pollute the Water we drink and Land Look At Gas Land Movie, And we cant have a little fun with our cats!
In-Justice I tell you!

I Love The HFPC They Rock!
I can feel the Power when i slam on the pedal.......WOW!
I fuckn Love Rv6 HFPCs Best 600.00 i ever spend it!
Makes Driving Fun!
I spend more on gas because now im in a hurry to go anywhere just so i can hear them purrrrrrr.

Thank you Ritchie You Are A "GoodGuyRichie"
Josh Eat Your Heart Out!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM
JJH
Drifting

Don't you think that the catalytic converters are way more restrictive than the jpipe + 3rd cat?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by JJH
Don't you think that the catalytic converters are way more restrictive than the jpipe + 3rd cat?
yes, but you can see in my dyno that with the pcds and jpipe; I did not gain 20hp OVER the other.
I got a combined 20hp gain.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
[quote=RoadxRage;14339928]
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
From WIKI:

So Screw who ever wrote this law! Tell them to go say that to Monsanto or the Oil Companies or Coal Or Fracking those ass-holes pollute the Water we drink and Land Look At Gas Land Movie, And we cant have a little fun with our cats!
In-Justice I tell you!

Makes Driving Fun!
I spend more on gas because now im in a hurry to go anywhere just so i can hear them purrrrrrr.

Josh Eat Your Heart Out!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JJH
Honestly no on a Type-S, being that they're 600 cell stock. Going from stock precats to PCDs on a Type-S is similar to going from stock cats to HFPCs on a base as far as flow increase. I felt a power increase everywhere after doing my ATLP V1 and race pipe back in '08. Then when I did the HFPCs in '11 it felt less dramatic; I could only feel that the car was stronger above 5.5k
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
OMG-6SPD

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadxRage
Makes Driving Fun!

Josh Eat Your Heart Out!
smh,this comment just screams ignorance.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
performace tl-s

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
I just installer hfpc in my 07 type s.last weekend I have more power from 1k rpm to 4k rpm .

Quick Reply: High flow precat gains?