Help w/ Big Brake Kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Help w/ Big Brake Kit?!

Long story short, I've decided to scratch the blower and in its place, purchase a big brake kit! I've done a few forum searches, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for: so the question comes to YOU experts! So...being inexperienced with ANY sort of brake upgrades...I don't quite understand the difference between the brands, nor do I understand the purpose of slotted/drilled calipers. I'm only looking for a big brake kit so that I can stop faster; I've been in some situations where I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO STOP-biggest scare was on the freeway going 70 when some truck decided to dump its cargo right in front of me...and two other cars! I'm a STUDENT working his way through, so I don't exactly have a very large "disposable" income...but I'd rather pay the price for the RIGHT SET versus the cheap knock-offs; trust me, I've had my fair share...I've learned that if I'm going to do it, then might as well DO IT THE RIGHT WAY. SSSSOOOO...Brembos, Stop-Tech, Rotora?! Which one!??!!? Oh and how much can I expect to be throwing out?...atleast 2k? under? OVER?!

Thanks all,
Eric Kim

...I REALLY, really appreciate all your input!!! Thanks much!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

oh! sorry...
2005 TL / auto
Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
auto trans - ok you can get way better rotors and pads- possibly 2 piston calipers in front, and keep a reasonable budget.
I am checking to see if a gen2 mod of calipers will fit gen3- no word yet.

RacingBrake and Rotora and EBC all have excellent rotors and pads
The side slots are a nice upgrade if you drive hard- they allow an escape path for the gasses the pads expel during hard use-if you race-,those gas pressures can be high and need an outlet
If you street drive like a normal human there is no real need for cross driled, or even side vanes.
Basic flat rotors made of good metal with quality pads-- design performance matched, are good for you.
See vendors Excelerate and MrHeelToe for those items- check off topic link- then Sponsored Sales area for their post
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

you can get a real 4 piston or 6 piston caliper setup- about 2-2500 as you suspected, and it will need bigger rims to clear the bigger calipers and rotors (1 inch largr diameter)

Check the sig with mods of members, every brake combo possible is being used!!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:06 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You could also do what other members have done which is a 6M/T brake coversion into the 5A/T it was around 1.2K, but its a good increase in brake performance.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM

Here's the link to what I posted above;

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157272
Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

ooh THANKS Eoanou! that's sounds like the BEST thing for me!
But hey, what're the 4 and 6 pistons?? lol

...and thank you 01tl4tl
Old 06-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

well...now that I look at the thread...the Rotoras are actually cheaper?! oh boy...
Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Lots of choices to improve the capability.

- Rotora or StopTech BBK (assuming they'll fit an Auto)
- Racing Brake 2-Peice Front Slotted with StopTech Slotted Rear (again, assuming they're available for the Auto)
- Racing Brake 1-Peice Front slotted, StopTech Rear Slotted (assuming ....)
- Rotora Slotted or Slotted & Drilled replacement rotors

I am sure there are more. Good Street Perfomance pads to go with 'em.

Slotted - generally thought to be the best performance with good cooling/stopping character.

Drilled - mostly for show. Some increased cooling and/or weight reduction. Loss of surface area may reduce stopping performance. Some have a tendency to crack.

Slotted & Drilled. - Again, generally, the slots are for performance, the drilling is for bling. I assume if they are high quality (i.e. unlikely to crack) and larger than stock, they'd provide the most cooling, least mass per unit area and a good increase in stopping performance from stock.

On my '02 TL-S, I went with RB 1-Peice slotted front, StopTech Slotted OE Replacement rear and ET500 pads. So far .... F'n Awesome.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

- Racing Brake 2-Peice Front Slotted with StopTech Slotted Rear (again, assuming they're available for the Auto)

Slotted - generally thought to be the best performance with good cooling/stopping character.

Drilled - mostly for show. Some increased cooling and/or weight reduction. Loss of surface area may reduce stopping performance. Some have a tendency to crack.

Slotted & Drilled. - Again, generally, the slots are for performance, the drilling is for bling. I assume if they are high quality (i.e. unlikely to crack) and larger than stock, they'd provide the most cooling, least mass per unit area and a good increase in stopping performance from stock.

On my '02 TL-S, I went with RB 1-Peice slotted front, StopTech Slotted OE Replacement rear and ET500 pads. So far .... F'n Awesome.
Racingbrake has slotted rears for the 3G TL, just no the 2G.

Build your own brake kit here!:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Heeltoe-B...-pr-40006.html

Marcus
Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Racingbrake has slotted rears for the 3G TL, just no the 2G.

Marcus

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. So far, I am very happy with the quality of the RB rotors. Wish I'd would've had the scratch for the 2-peice.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by erick3
well...now that I look at the thread...the Rotoras are actually cheaper?! oh boy...

No, the quote for the M/T brake conversion was 1600$, but also included installation from the DEALER.

The problem with the Rotora and other BBK is that they won't fit the stock TL wheels, which means, if you want those, not only do they cost $1400 without installation or brake pads, but you'll need a larger wheel in order for them to fit.

Also with the M/T brake conversion you're not simply upgrading your rotors, you're getting an upgraded and better looking front caliper which is a 2piston setup.

I plan on going this route as well, but if the Rotora BBK fits a 17" stock wheel, then I would go with those because they look so cool!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Acura TL V6 A/T (04+)
- ROTORA 1 Piece Front 330MM Disc w/ 4 Piston Caliper BBK - $1300 shipped

- ROTORA 2 Piece Front 330MM Disc w/ 4 Piston Caliper BBK - $1725 shipped

- ROTORA 2 Piece Rear 330MM Disc w/ 2 Piston Caliper BBK - $1475 shipped

Those are the prices for the Rotora BBKs from Excellerate.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM

If you're going for the least expensive brake upgrade, what MrHeeltoe offered, is the best route, but those will only upgrade rotors and pads, not the calipers.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94

There are actually a LOT more choices now that a few here have discovered that the TSX kits can fit the Auto tranny TL without any changes to knuckles. Project mU, Brembo, Wilwood, etc. I think you have to go with the TSX-rotors as well for the fit but that's only a small issue of getting the right ones.

? Why isn't this in wheels, tires and suspensions? Aren't Brake threads normally over there?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
No, the quote for the M/T brake conversion was 1600$, but also included installation from the DEALER.

The problem with the Rotora and other BBK is that they won't fit the stock TL wheels, which means, if you want those, not only do they cost $1400 without installation or brake pads, but you'll need a larger wheel in order for them to fit.

Also with the M/T brake conversion you're not simply upgrading your rotors, you're getting an upgraded and better looking front caliper which is a 2piston setup.

I plan on going this route as well, but if the Rotora BBK fits a 17" stock wheel, then I would go with those because they look so cool!
Actually the ROTORA 1 pc disc will clear the stock TL wheels. I'm not certain on the 2 pc disc. I know it clears the 18" Aspec wheels but not certain on the 17" wheels. It may require a 5mm spacer at most.

For the BBK, the 2 pc disc will have its advantages. Aluminum hub with iron disc, curved vanes, less spinning weight, better cooling capacity and less chance of distortion. However, the 1 pc setup with 4 piston caliper should be sufficient. It will be a better setup the than the M/T TL Brembo setup b/c it is a 13" disc with SS brake lines and more aggressive street pads and at less of a cost.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Actually the ROTORA 1 pc disc will clear the stock TL wheels. I'm not certain on the 2 pc disc. I know it clears the 18" Aspec wheels but not certain on the 17" wheels. It may require a 5mm spacer at most.

For the BBK, the 2 pc disc will have its advantages. Aluminum hub with iron disc, curved vanes, less spinning weight, better cooling capacity and less chance of distortion. However, the 1 pc setup with 4 piston caliper should be sufficient. It will be a better setup the than the M/T TL Brembo setup b/c it is a 13" disc with SS brake lines and more aggressive street pads and at less of a cost.

Well if you think the Rotora BBK will fit a stock 17" wheel I want one, because that's the only thing that's holding me back from ordering a set.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^Josh wouldn't lie to you; if he says it fits, it fits. Aside from that, ACCURATEin had the kit with the stock wheels for about a week...perfect fit.

Josh - are the calipers that come with the one-piece kit different than the calipers that come with the two-piece kit? I would've thought the only difference between the kits was the rotors, but that everything else was the same.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Instructor

I was considering getting a big brake kit for my TL but since the price was about $2,000 and upwards I decided on getting some slotted Rotora rotors and Hawk pads. Getting new rotors/pads will make a nice difference but it won't look as pretty as new calipers. The price diff. is quite significant so its all up to what you think you'll need.

Slotted rotors will last longer then slotted/cross-drilled rotors, and unless you'll be doing autox or tracking the car I would just go for slotted. This will help with allowing hot gases to escape, and so forth.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 AM
'07 NBP TL

i have the rotora 1 piece front 4 piston and 2 piece rear 1 piston and they both clear my stock rims. but I have a 07 base TL. I'd assume it'll clear the 04-06. Also you might need to get a different spare.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sportin' Rotora 4 piston calipers all the way around with 2 pc calipers drilled and slotted. Put it this way....you can just tap my brakes and put yourself through the windshield they work so well. And very well balanced system too. I race though....

Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
^Mike, do your stock 17's fit over those?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
^Mike, do your stock 17's fit over those?
Honestly...I dont know. I sold them to somebody on here a long time ago and never did check as I run the 18" rims with winter tires too. Have two or three sets of A-Spec rims...cant remember. So at any rate....I never did use those 17" rims ever again after taking them off.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
^Josh wouldn't lie to you; if he says it fits, it fits. Aside from that, ACCURATEin had the kit with the stock wheels for about a week...perfect fit.

Josh - are the calipers that come with the one-piece kit different than the calipers that come with the two-piece kit? I would've thought the only difference between the kits was the rotors, but that everything else was the same.
They are different currently since the 2 pc disc is wider. Eventually ROTORA is going to change the design so if ppl want to upgrade to a 2 pc disc they can and still use the same caliper and brackets.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

If you're going for the least expensive brake upgrade, what MrHeeltoe offered, is the best route, but those will only upgrade rotors and pads, not the calipers.

If you can get your ABS to come on under braking you don't need new calipers.

Marcus
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Interesting note on ABS Marcus
When I was on stock mickyslip tires and acura brakes, I could get to ABS fairly easy~
Now with the RB rotors and pads- with Legend 2 piston calipers, General Exlaim tires on 18 inch rims-,2001TL-P
Even at max sudden braking effort on normal surface roads, It just slows and stops, very quickly and predictably. No thought of ABS activating and doing the driving for me, its not needed!
Has done really well in full wet conditions too, feels like its in the dry!!

I dont care what people decide is right for them, all I know is: better brakes save lives, and keep the car OE length during those freeway stoppages that appear from nowhere~
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Interesting note on ABS Marcus
When I was on stock mickyslip tires and acura brakes, I could get to ABS fairly easy~
Now with the RB rotors and pads- with Legend 2 piston calipers, General Exlaim tires on 18 inch rims-,2001TL-P
Even at max sudden braking effort on normal surface roads, It just slows and stops, very quickly and predictably. No thought of ABS activating and doing the driving for me, its not needed!
Has done really well in full wet conditions too, feels like its in the dry!!

I dont care what people decide is right for them, all I know is: better brakes save lives, and keep the car OE length during those freeway stoppages that appear from nowhere~
Agreed, brakes are the most essential safety feature more so than an airbag.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
If you can get your ABS to come on under braking you don't need new calipers.

Marcus

I don't think I need upgraded calipers, but I love the look and personally the stock TL brakes can barely stop the TL, I have absolutely nothing in my car other than myself and on a hot day the car will get brake fade after 3 stops. They feel really gummy, not sure if you'll understand what I mean.

Also when you have 2 or more passengers you can feel the car has difficulty stopping.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't think I need upgraded calipers, but I love the look and personally the stock TL brakes can barely stop the TL, I have absolutely nothing in my car other than myself and on a hot day the car will get brake fade after 3 stops. They feel really gummy, not sure if you'll understand what I mean.

Also when you have 2 or more passengers you can feel the car has difficulty stopping.

The look I could agree with for sure. But pads are what are going to help the stopping with stock calipers. You can find more bit and fade resistance without plopping down the OS caliper cash. Fade has more to do with rotor and pad overheat than caliper pressure.

Marcus
Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

get good pads and rotors- with good tires
Thats the affordable option on the TL - in my opinion
Airbags are for crashing- Brakes are for avoiding the accident altogether

Until you test ride with a ziner who has upgraded parts- you cant believe that these cars will stop on a dime and give 8 cents change~
but they really will
Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Team Owner

synthetic brake fluid going thru SS lines gives improved feel and heat resistance-fade
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Two items to add -

1) Vehicle weight is a big factor with braking performance. I don't expect you to do a TL Diet, but try to keep unnecessary items out of your car/trunk.

2) ABS in our cars (as opposed to older Acuras that I previously owned) is hard to detect when it activates. In older models, the pedal would pulse violently. In our TL's, the ABS pulses with extremely small and fast pulses that could be hard to feel. I engage my ABS approx every other day (on average). I always drive barefooted (with no shoes), and I easily feel the ABS thru my bare foot. But, I could see someone missing it that was wearing heavy shoes.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Two items to add -

1) Vehicle weight is a big factor with braking performance. I don't expect you to do a TL Diet, but try to keep unnecessary items out of your car/trunk.

2) ABS in our cars (as opposed to older Acuras that I previously owned) is hard to detect when it activates. In older models, the pedal would pulse violently. In our TL's, the ABS pulses with extremely small and fast pulses that could be hard to feel. I engage my ABS approx every other day (on average). I always drive barefooted (with no shoes), and I easily feel the ABS thru my bare foot. But, I could see someone missing it that was wearing heavy shoes.

Always keep the trunk empty, sometimes I'll even kick out passengers!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Do ceramic pads offer the same performance as the usual composite?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIFVR
Do ceramic pads offer the same performance as the usual composite?

No.

Ceramics are a great OEM equivalent... They usually dust less at the compromise of biting harder.