Have some questions for those who have full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Have some questions for those who have full exhaust

I might be getting an aftermarket exhaust for my car 4th gen, but no one has really done anything yet so i came to you guys for some questions and advice.

My car stock goes like this:

primary cats > jpipe > 3rd cat > resonators > axle back with mufflers.

I'm wondering if the stock 3rd gen has similar setup.
If so

I was wondering for those who have full cat backs, do they remove the resonators and just change the mufflers, or an aftermarket resonator is in place along with an aftermarket muffler?

Another question, those who have test pipe, but with primary cats in place, is there really a bad fuel smell, or a bad rasp?

trying to decide which way to go here
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Is this similar to the 3rd gen stock exhaust? do you have resonators? are they remove in aftermarket exhausts?
Originally Posted by dieseldub
J pipe

These are cats again?

Resonators?

Mufflers/catback?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Instructor

how long does it take to install j pipe, test pipe or high flow cat and cat back? from a competent mechanic?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
your exhaust splits off right after the 3rd cat into a Y pipe. the 3rd gen splits into a Y pipe after the resonator (theres only 1 on our cars). j-pipe looks similar. aftermarket cat back will replace everything after the 3rd cat and depending on the brand, it will have resonators or no resonators
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Instructor

is there a big difference in sound and performance between resonated and non resonated?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Instructor

to those who have non resonated, is there a lot of drone inside the cabin?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Difference in sound, but zero in performance. It just depends on the exhaust you get. My choice for exhaust is Comptech first, then ATLP Quad, and XLR8's new exhaust.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Instructor

i'm probably gonna have a custom exhaust made from J Pipe back, but since the 3g guys have way more experience in this since my car is relatively new, i wanted opinion on

high flow vs. test pipe
resonated vs. non resonated

i want a car that sounds great, but doesn't give me a headache inside the car.

the vids on youtube of non resonated sound great, so i'm hoping in real life there is no drone.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
The 4th gen j-pipe in your pictures DOES NOT look like the 3rd gen j-pipe at all. Our stock j-pipe primaries get squished and sandwiched together as it enters the flexpipe, thus changing the diameter of the pipes. 4th gen j-pipe looks more like the ATLP version 2 aftermarket j-pipe for the 3rd gen.

And as the guy above me said, we only have one resonator due to the Y-pipe after the 3rd cat. 4th gen exhaust looks much more free flowing than the stock 3rd gen to me.

Are you going for performance or just sound? You could be a pioneer like mike for the third gen TLs and just replace your resonators with a smaller dynomax/magnaflow resonator. If it doesn't go well you could always weld them back on (won't be good as new though, dealership will know for sure). Just be aware that doing this probably wont increase hp/torque. Resonators aren't very restrictive. Exhaust chopping (with the exception of cat deletes) are merely for a change in the sound of your vehicle.

No drone in my TL-s. 2008 w/ ATLP j-pipe, dynomax resonator, straight pipe @ third muffler.

Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by dieseldub
i'm probably gonna have a custom exhaust made from J Pipe back, but since the 3g guys have way more experience in this since my car is relatively new, i wanted opinion on

high flow vs. test pipe
resonated vs. non resonated

i want a car that sounds great, but doesn't give me a headache inside the car.

the vids on youtube of non resonated sound great, so i'm hoping in real life there is no drone.
If you keep your stock cats a hi flow 3rd cat or test pipe would do little or nothing for performance on its own. The raspyness and smell are from cars running with no cats.

I have the ATLP quads with no resonators or mid muffilers, hi flow primary cats and the 3rd cat delete( test pipe) and I love the sound and added performance ( even though I had the blower on the car before the ATLP exhaust.) My wife hates it,but it keeps her from driving it so win win for me.