Front Brakes for '07 TL Type S: Brembo, Hawke or Stoptech???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Front Brakes for '07 TL Type S: Brembo, Hawke or Stoptech???

Hi All;

I searched this subject and couldn't find a thread so I apologize if this has been beaten to death.

MY 07 TL Type S needs front brakes. I was going to get the stock brembos but to be honest, I'm tired of the brake dust.

I was looking at options from Hawk and Stop Tech and was wondering if anyone can comment on:
  • longevity
  • stopping power
  • dust build up
My goal is to have a pad that performs similarly good to the Brembos but has less dust.

I was looking between the Hawk HPS or Superduty or the Stoptech 309.10010

The Stoptech appears to be good but its low asking price of $79 vs $200+ for the Brembos has me wondering how they can be as good in performance and be so much cheaper.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
OEM Brembo pads are/should be no more than $150 a set. They perform fine but yes, they do dust. If you're looking at Hawk's, I would say the HP+'s over the HPS's. The HPS's are fine but stopping power is better with the HP+ and they don't dust that much more. I don't have much experience with Stoptech pads but they really aren't any special. I would also look at the EBC pads, I had the yellow's for a while and they make for a great street pad. Anything more metallic/ceramic in the brake compound will definitely dust less but they are harder on rotors so know that before going in.

You'd be a lot better off just accepting that with a more performance minded brake setup you have give up some everyday things such as longevity and dust. Do you want the brembo performance and looks? Fine, then deal with dust and the fact that if you get 20k miles out of a set of pads you're doing really good. The sooner you are OK with spending the money on pads and rotors to get the performance you enjoy out of them, the sooner you won't mind washing of the dust and swapping the pads every 12-18 months or whatever.

This help?
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (09-27-2013)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Racer

Actually I managed to get 35k miles out of my Brembos. I do mostly highway driving. So do you think the HP+ Hawk has comparable stopping power to the Brembos? Or are the Brembos still the best bet for the stock rotor setup? thx.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
AZ Track Whore

HP+'s are going to out perform the stock pads IMO. I tried a set of the pretty commonly used Wagner Gold's or whatever they are from Autozone and they just started warping the rotors so I ditched them and went back to something more performance based that dusted a lot more.

If you were pleased with the stock pads just get them. acuraoemparts.com has them for about 150 a set and then start waxing your wheels with regular car wax, it helps when washing to get the dust off. Just something I've picked up somewhere. But I would definitely recommend the HP+'s or EBC Yellowstuff. definitely a great pad for the money, both of them.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Racer

Vill0169

Do you know the Brembo part# for the OEM brake pads?

Also check out the Hawk comparison here:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...7&autoModClar=

The HP+ seem like they are a track brake pad more than a street pad. I am guessing they won't last very long as a result.
thindef (06-07-2012)
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
AZ Track Whore

They market them as a track/street pad but trust me, they are NOT track pads. They just aren't up to the task which is why I pretty much consider them an excellent performing street pad.

Let's try this:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

or the part number itself is 45022-SEP-A60

they have them listed for $158
Old 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Racer

thanks man. You have me on the edge between stock brembos or the HP+ Hawkes....
Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Hey buddy-it's good to see you on Acurazine again. I just changed mine and went with the OEM pads.

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Racer

Hey Steven good to see you too! Yea I knew this day was coming. Now I need to decide if I stick with OEM or move to something different.

I just got the new Michelin Pilot A/S Plus Sport Tires to replace the stock OEM Michelins which are not only cheaper but allegedly higher performance and longer wear. Picking my car up now to test them out....
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Racer

FWIW I spoke to a tech guy at Hawk. He was pretty confident that the HPS would outperform the stock brembo and also produce less dust (30-40% reduction). I also told him that I sometimes feel pad rattling when stopping and turning while going over a slight bump and he said the Hawks won't do that b/c they have shims.

He didn't recommend using the HP+ b/c they do wear down the rotors more and I'm not using the car for racing.

Last edited by Audioholics; 04-25-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
any downsides to the hawk hp+? like stopping poorly before warming up, squeaks when cold?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Racer

He said the HP+ will squeal a lot which is why he recommended the HPS. HP+ only if you're doing track racing. I'm using my car as a daily driver with a bit of spirited driving when alone so I am thinking HPS.

PS. I was considering the StopTechs but I read of QC issues with the pad which I don't want to risk.

Cheapest I've found them online is $98 at Amazon but Hawk Direct matched it and double confirmed the correct part#

http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/Hawk-H...0f.570.50f.htm

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-25-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
Hey Steven good to see you too! Yea I knew this day was coming. Now I need to decide if I stick with OEM or move to something different.

I just got the new Michelin Pilot A/S Plus Sport Tires to replace the stock OEM Michelins which are not only cheaper but allegedly higher performance and longer wear. Picking my car up now to test them out....
Thanks for the link on the Hawks, my OEM pads are starting to squeak and I am on the fence to go with the Hawks or OEM also.

OT: What size did you with the Michelins Pilot A/S? Did you notice the ride more bumpier or any issues with your tires?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my pads wore down I got Duralast CMAX Gold pads. They are quiet, don't dust at all, and perform good too!! To me it's the best of all worlds...and then they have a lifetime warranty on them. I paid about $60 at Autozone
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Lots of people running StopTech rotors with Racing Brake ET series pads. I have 'em and like 'em.

Much lower dust, quiet, very good stopping. ET500 might be a little squeaky from time-to-time. I'd expect the ET300 to be better in that regard.

If you want a "low cost" alternative, get the NAPA Premium rotor and CMAX Gold pads.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Racer

OT: What size did you with the Michelins Pilot A/S? Did you notice the ride more bumpier or any issues with your tires?
I got the 235/45R17 94Y rated Pilot A/S Sport Plus. I just did a quick drive today on them and found they are much quiter than the stock Michelins. The steering feels a tad heavier but the grip also seems better.

When my pads wore down I got Duralast CMAX Gold pads. They are quiet, don't dust at all, and perform good too!! To me it's the best of all worlds...and then they have a lifetime warranty on them. I paid about $60 at Autozone
That's a great deal on the lifetime warranty but it doesn't make sense to me. How can a pad that costs 1/3 of the Hawk or Brembo give you a lifetime warranty and similar stopping power? I can only guess its a much harder compound, thus it will last longer and not have as much bite as the Brembos/Hawk else why would anyone buy anything other than those? Perhaps for daily driving it won't be an issue but...
Old 04-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Lots of people running StopTech rotors with Racing Brake ET series pads. I have 'em and like 'em.

Much lower dust, quiet, very good stopping. ET500 might be a little squeaky from time-to-time. I'd expect the ET300 to be better in that regard.

If you want a "low cost" alternative, get the NAPA Premium rotor and CMAX Gold pads.
I hate my ET300s. The intial bite is better than the stock brembo pads but to me it feels like the stock brembo pads had less brake fade. Also my ET300s squeal during low speed breaking. Dusting is definitely better than the Stock Brembo pads. I was going to go with the ET500s but heard these were easier on rotors. Should gone with em anyway.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chay823
I finally did a all around brake pad change also on the type s (last night), and it was well needed for the first time at 47k miles . First off i love the Brembo pads, the car stopped awesome. i bought the exact same pads Duralast CMAX gold Pads for 60 bucks also. I took my car for a short test drive last night, and first impression these brakes suck, the stopping is nothing compared to the stock brembo pads. this morning i drove to work (2 miles) and it seemed a lot better. I came on here to do a search to see what other people suggested for pads, ill give these a little more time to see how i like them, but im glad it feels better than it did last night.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
^did you bed them?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
^did you bed them?
What do you mean? I drove fast and slammed on the brakes a couple times. is that what you mean?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioholics
FWIW I spoke to a tech guy at Hawk. He was pretty confident that the HPS would outperform the stock brembo and also produce less dust (30-40% reduction). I also told him that I sometimes feel pad rattling when stopping and turning while going over a slight bump and he said the Hawks won't do that b/c they have shims.

He didn't recommend using the HP+ b/c they do wear down the rotors more and I'm not using the car for racing.
Of course he's going to talk highly of his company's product. The conversation is being recorded. FWIW, my Hawk HPS squealed like a stuck pig on original oem rotors and braking was notably worse. I love my EBC reds on Powerslots though. Either pad will dust less than stock Brembos.

Originally Posted by Lazer187
What do you mean? I drove fast and slammed on the brakes a couple times. is that what you mean?
Bed them in properly:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml
Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i have hawk HPS pads. the fronts are fine and they definitely dust A LOT less than stock brembo. i have about 30k mi on mine and still have plenty of pad left. my OEMs lasted about 27k mi. braking quality...i don't remember how the stock pads performed, but the HPS pads seem to do their job.

now the HPS pads on the rear...squeal like a ran over a cat whenever i back into the driveway. though i think there is a solution that was posted to rememdy this posted a while ago about squealing brakes.

i have powerslot rotors and stoptech pads lying in wait when the time comes. whatever you go with...be sure to bed them properly.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone know if the Stoptech performance pads dust allot? I'm looking at buying the brake package they have for $510...slotted, drilled for all four rotors with performance pads. I do allot of spirited driving and two to three track sessions per season but dont want to deal with overwhelming amounts of dust. Bought the duralast from auto zone just to get by and they suck! Good for normal driving but be ready to mess yourself if someone cuts you off...horrible initial bite and bad braking overall. Go oem.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Does anyone know if the Stoptech performance pads dust allot? I'm looking at buying the brake package they have for $510...slotted, drilled for all four rotors with performance pads. I do allot of spirited driving and two to three track sessions per season but dont want to deal with overwhelming amounts of dust. Bought the duralast from auto zone just to get by and they suck! Good for normal driving but be ready to mess yourself if someone cuts you off...horrible initial bite and bad braking overall. Go oem.
They dust similar to the factory Brembo pads; if you want lower dust we can substitute ceramic pads but the ceramic pads don't have as aggressive a bite.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Originally Posted by Excelerate
They dust similar to the factory Brembo pads; if you want lower dust we can substitute ceramic pads but the ceramic pads don't have as aggressive a bite.
Will call u tomorrow because I want to put them on by next weekend so I need to order ASAP. Feel free to call me too 224-305-1611 thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Will call u tomorrow because I want to put them on by next weekend so I need to order ASAP. Feel free to call me too thanks.
I just left you a voice message. Give me a call at 203-483-6100. Also you might want to have your phone # edited out of your post.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
I opted for the ceramic pad because of the dust.
as far as not as an aggressive bite as OEM, I cant tell!
when I hit the brakes, my passengers get butterflies!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Great help from XLR8! Called with some questions, placed my order online & had a tracking number within 5 mins!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by justnspace
I opted for the ceramic pad because of the dust.
as far as not as an aggressive bite as OEM, I cant tell!
when I hit the brakes, my passengers get butterflies!
They had butterflies because of the Justin Bieber avatar. He makes people feel faint.

Great help from XLR8! Called with some questions, placed my order online & had a tracking number within 5 mins!
Thank you for the order. Please remember to post feedback in this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/excelerate-performance-368/excelerate-performances-feedback-thread-818787/
Old 10-24-2011, 09:00 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Will do, they go on Saturday. They arrived today.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love my StopTechs, Minimal dust.... not nearly as bad as the stock brembos brown powder!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Pro

I finally did a all around brake pad change also on the type s (last night), and it was well needed for the first time at 47k miles . First off i love the Brembo pads, the car stopped awesome. i bought the exact same pads Duralast CMAX gold Pads for 60 bucks also. I took my car for a short test drive last night, and first impression these brakes suck, the stopping is nothing compared to the stock brembo pads. this morning i drove to work (2 miles) and it seemed a lot better. I came on here to do a search to see what other people suggested for pads, ill give these a little more time to see how i like them, but im glad it feels better than it did last night.

Update I'm super displeased with my pads that I'm already switching back and ordering factory/stock Brembo pads again. I will only use these Duralast CMAX gold pads in winter because there is minimal dusting. The breaking with these pads do not compare to the Brembos i would not recommend to anyone who wants braking that is comparable to the factory Brembos, its not even on the same scale. I was Super happy and the Brembos gave me the best braking i have ever experienced in a car, i just didnt want to spend the $150 to replace them, but now in the end i just wasted money on the cmax golds, and they also squeal everytime when the car first stops, its embarrassing.

Last edited by Lazer187; 02-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vill0169
OEM Brembo pads are/should be no more than $150 a set. They perform fine but yes, they do dust. If you're looking at Hawk's, I would say the HP+'s over the HPS's. The HPS's are fine but stopping power is better with the HP+ and they don't dust that much more. I don't have much experience with Stoptech pads but they really aren't any special. I would also look at the EBC pads, I had the yellow's for a while and they make for a great street pad. Anything more metallic/ceramic in the brake compound will definitely dust less but they are harder on rotors so know that before going in.

You'd be a lot better off just accepting that with a more performance minded brake setup you have give up some everyday things such as longevity and dust. Do you want the brembo performance and looks? Fine, then deal with dust and the fact that if you get 20k miles out of a set of pads you're doing really good. The sooner you are OK with spending the money on pads and rotors to get the performance you enjoy out of them, the sooner you won't mind washing of the dust and swapping the pads every 12-18 months or whatever.

This help?

quick ? i have a 08 6sp type s and if i am also lookig to change the front brake system..i hurd the Hawk's HP+'s are better then the HPS's but wat kind of rotor would u go best with these pads?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GetLikeMe_TypeS
quick ? i have a 08 6sp type s and if i am also lookig to change the front brake system..i hurd the Hawk's HP+'s are better then the HPS's but wat kind of rotor would u go best with these pads?
Any rotor would work with the HP+ pad but I'd recommend the STOPTECH rotors.

You're honestly better off with the STOPTECH Performance pads. It is a highly capable brake pad and it is significantly cheaper than the Hawk pads. It can withstand higher temperatures and IMO performs better.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 PM
1QWKTLS

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey guys! New to the site, but many years experience in the professional racing world. PLEASE (and I cant stress this enough) PLEASE know about the proper uses of these pads before putting them on your car! I have seen MANY bad accidents over the years on the streets because some kids bought "Super Duper Track Pad Plus Plus" and then at 90MPH on the highway found out that he could not stop in time because the pad was designed for track use ONLY! NOT daily street use. Race pads are engineered for high heat, more so than your daily commute or stop light drag races. The wrong pads on your car can cause your car to lose stopping distance and make the difference between a near miss and totaling your ride.
Here is a good but basic article/ review on pads: http://blog.caranddriver.com/perform...c-yellowstuff/
tomlinsonj (03-12-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Imo stoptech pads don't bite like the brembos until they have some heat in them. however they dust a little bit less. I've only been on the stoptech front pads/rotors for 2000 miles, so I can't comment on longevity.

i have a 90mile Roundtrip commute with a decent amount of stop and go, so I wanted something that would last more than 20-25k miles.

are the brembos worth twice the cost? not really.

Last edited by powdbyrice; 03-13-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have had Power Slot slotted rotors and StopTech performance pads for about 10,000 miles. Stop on a dime. Great pricing and they grab like crazy. The pads also dust way less than the original Brembo's. Can actually keep my rims clean now!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
RB ET500 pads FTW.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Update I'm super displeased with my pads that I'm already switching back and ordering factory/stock Brembo pads again. I will only use these Duralast CMAX gold pads in winter because there is minimal dusting. The breaking with these pads do not compare to the Brembos i would not recommend to anyone who wants braking that is comparable to the factory Brembos, its not even on the same scale. I was Super happy and the Brembos gave me the best braking i have ever experienced in a car, i just didnt want to spend the $150 to replace them, but now in the end i just wasted money on the cmax golds, and they also squeal everytime when the car first stops, its embarrassing.
Wow, my experience have been the opposite. The brembos are way to dusty and sequel much more than the Duralast. I'm thinking about going StopTech this time around though...Many people are saying its a good set up...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Changed my complete brakes last year with the slotted stoptech package from XLR8, and I really did not like them. I have an 07 type S and noticed that they braked with much less stopping power than the stock pads/rotors. Also, they started producing a vibration in my pedal. It got so bad that I had to completely change my brakes again last week.
I now have EBC 3GD slotted and dimpled rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads. MAJOR improvement over the stoptech's an slightly better/equal to stock without the dusting. Only had them for a week now, so we will see how they wear.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes for '07 TL Type S: Brembo, Hawke or Stoptech???