Exhaust and Cat.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Exhaust and Cat.........

Ok so I finally decide to check out my local muffler shop to see what prices he can do the Magnaflow set up in my car. So we put it on the lift and I told him that I want to remove the mid muffler and resonator and swap out the two mufflers for Magnaflows. Stainless steel everything. Also 2.5 pipe till Y then 2.25.

The price of each muffler is 140, not sure what model number there 14' can size and are SS. Total price is $480. That seems reasonable to me. Then I ask him if he would in stall the high flow cats. He look at the stock cats and said that he doesn't think the two cats can be anymore high flowing then they are, but he told me that the third cat is pretty small that he'll but in a bigger cat there.

So now my question is will it make a difference? Just replacing the third cat for bigger high flowing cat? The one he sales me is 250, so I told him 600 everything? He said yeah, but I told him I'd call him Monday to confirm? So is it worth it replacing the third cat?

Thanks to ya'll.............
Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Ok so I finally decide to check out my local muffler shop to see what prices he can do the Magnaflow set up in my car. So we put it on the lift and I told him that I want to remove the mid muffler and resonator and swap out the two mufflers for Magnaflows. Stainless steel everything. Also 2.5 pipe till Y then 2.25.

The price of each muffler is 140, not sure what model number there 14' can size and are SS. Total price is $480. That seems reasonable to me. Then I ask him if he would in stall the high flow cats. He look at the stock cats and said that he doesn't think the two cats can be anymore high flowing then they are, but he told me that the third cat is pretty small that he'll but in a bigger cat there.

So now my question is will it make a difference? Just replacing the third cat for bigger high flowing cat? The one he sales me is 250, so I told him 600 everything? He said yeah, but I told him I'd call him Monday to confirm? So is it worth it replacing the third cat?

Thanks to ya'll.............
Did you have the other cats there for him to see? I mean I dont know how he could come to this conclusion without seeing what you were actually talking about...unless you were talking about buying hi-flo cats there at his place...and in that case...he might not have access to the cats eshift is using. I can tell you for SURE....the openings are larger....especially in the exit end of the pro cat setup. Sounds more like to me....he was cherry picking you to some degree.....cause he didnt want to wrestle with the back cat. Ya...sure...the third cat is an easy one. He is just selling you what he can do real quick with little to no effort?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm in

No I didn't have the cats there. He told me to bring him the ESP cats and he'll install them before he even told me about his cat. I've never seen them so I can't tell them there bigger. All he thought about the oem cats was that they looked high flowing to him already.

I might try it out see what it does. I know you've seen them, are they noticibly bigger that stock?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PPLAPW
No I didn't have the cats there. He told me to bring him the ESP cats and he'll install them before he even told me about his cat. I've never seen them so I can't tell them there bigger. All he thought about the oem cats was that they looked high flowing to him already.

I might try it out see what it does. I know you've seen them, are they noticibly bigger that stock?
Dude, dont do the cats from him, order the E-shift ones. The factory are very restrictive do to the honey comb inside, not the size of the cat. I looked through the car before I put them one while also looking through the factory ones. What a difference. You only had about a quarter size light hole throught he stock, the E-shift ones had about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" light hole. Also the eshift cats are a metal core cat, high dollar cats! Metal core is alot more efficeint then ceramic core cats. Save the money on the cat and just do the exhaust, then order the E-shift cats later.

Jason
Old 04-08-2006, 11:31 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Are you worried about passing smog or not? I dont know how your visual is so I cant say one way or the other but it wouldnt hurt to check out what you need to pass before you drop any money on changing the cats.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:21 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
Dude, dont do the cats from him, order the E-shift ones. The factory are very restrictive do to the honey comb inside, not the size of the cat. I looked through the car before I put them one while also looking through the factory ones. What a difference. You only had about a quarter size light hole throught he stock, the E-shift ones had about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4" light hole. Also the eshift cats are a metal core cat, high dollar cats! Metal core is alot more efficeint then ceramic core cats. Save the money on the cat and just do the exhaust, then order the E-shift cats later.

Jason
Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 AM
I'm in

Originally Posted by subinf
Are you worried about passing smog or not? I dont know how your visual is so I cant say one way or the other but it wouldnt hurt to check out what you need to pass before you drop any money on changing the cats.

Yes I would like to pass smog.

Not sure chances are I'll just do the exhaust. Then later on do ESP.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:26 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
thats probably the easiest thing to do for now
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the poor wording in my previous post, I was tired when writing it.

Jason