Electric Exhaust Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Electric Exhaust Cutout

Hi everyone.

I plan on buying an electric exhaust cutout for my TL. Its going to be located between the third cat and resonator. I plan on installing it myself. My question is, what is the closest grommet (hole) that i could insert the wiring to the cabin of my car? I plan on tapping it to one of the cigarette lighters.

Thank You
Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I think the only person who has done this on the forum is Andy (Gerzand)....

EDIT: and he loves it....he send me a video via text to show the difference and it make some insane difference....
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
under the rear seats is the wiring for the rear ABS sensors, that would be your best bet.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I have a cut out, but I'm on the fence about the sound atleast with a free flowing exhaust. I like it at low rpm and on decel, but while pushing the car it sounds too rough for me. The only thing I really love about the cut out is the turbo whistle and extra power when pushing the car hard. Durring more responsible driving the added sound makes me feel like I'm pushing the car harder than I am, giving the impression of less power and responsiveness. I mostly use it to mess with other people with loud exhaust and to initiate runs with faster cars. Power wise I doubt it makes any difference except at high rpm on a NA engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 AM
spends his lunch $ on his

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the cutout as well, i might see some gains with the supercharger.
i'm not too worried about the noise since i would only use it when messing with someone.
the question i had was about where to wire it up to, but vill0169 answered that already.
hispeed, did you wire yours up the same way?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
runnin a little boost

Mine is wired up to the accessory plug in the armrest compartment and the switch is located in there as well to keep it out of sight. I have soo much money in the car I hate it sounding like a $1500 ricer civic.

Originally Posted by 04socalTL
I'm thinking about getting the cutout as well, i might see some gains with the supercharger.
i'm not too worried about the noise since i would only use it when messing with someone.
the question i had was about where to wire it up to, but vill0169 answered that already.
hispeed, did you wire yours up the same way?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM

do you think it would work just fine if i wired it up to the VSA button?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by 04socalTL
do you think it would work just fine if i wired it up to the VSA button?

I think that would work. Are you going to put the switch in that area?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:19 PM

as of now, that is my plan
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this cut-out make much HP? If so how much? Could you make it start before the 3rd cat? Sounds like it could be a lot of fun to use. haha
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, I ended up installing the cutout myself and I have to say that I love the thing. It is fun as hell to play with. It gives me several options, to choose my exhaust sound because you can have it opened, closed, and anywhere inbetween. I can go stealth mode, or i can blow the doors off any old mustang on the street, which is exactly what i wanted. For performance, it really didn't do much. From my experience, i'd say it lost minimal power in lower rpm but gained minimal in the higher.

I installed the switch inside the compartments under the radio, and powered it by tapping into the wires from the back of the cigarette lighter. I ran the wire through a grommet hole by the brake pedal and ziptied to the undercarriage. I put my cutout directly behind the the third cat.

At first i was nervous of how it would sound. I had stage 4 at one point, and got rid of it because it sounded like shit.. But the open cutout came out much different. There is no rasp, and it sounds agressive. It has a very deep growl when cruising, and I high pitch when punching it. It even gargles and pops at certain times, and sounds ridiculous if you accidently touch the rev limiter. Maybe its the shape or location of the cutout that gave such a good sound, idk. The funny thing is, several people have asked if I have a v8 haha. And the best part, in all i payed less than $200.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Unless you have forced induction it's kind of silly to have an exhaust cut out. Not only that you're really not going to get any gains unless you have it tuned for it. You'll be able to get away with it more with an na set up because there isn't much it actually does for you. I know this because I was going to run one on my Rsti and even bought it but once I realized I'd have to run two different maps between open and closed it all of a sudden became a headache to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by supraru
Unless you have forced induction it's kind of silly to have an exhaust cut out. Not only that you're really not going to get any gains unless you have it tuned for it. You'll be able to get away with it more with an na set up because there isn't much it actually does for you. I know this because I was going to run one on my Rsti and even bought it but once I realized I'd have to run two different maps between open and closed it all of a sudden became a headache to me.
Just to add to that all it really comes down to is that it's a noise maker.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Instructor

I did it for the thrill it adds to driving. I do a lot of empty back road driving and that is where I use it. Once i get into the city I prefer to keep it closed. fyi Im not a ricer who blows the pipe in peoples faces
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by breck569
I did it for the thrill it adds to driving. I do a lot of empty back road driving and that is where I use it. Once i get into the city I prefer to keep it closed. fyi Im not a ricer who blows the pipe in peoples faces
I don't see how back road driving and the loudness of an exhaust has to do with one another or any more thrill it would add. For me the thrill comes from pushing your car to the limit. But hey it's your money to waste not mine.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Instructor

I don't see how back road driving and the loudness of an exhaust has to do with one another or any more thrill it would add. For me the thrill comes from pushing your car to the limit. But hey it's your money to waste not mine.
By back roads i mean deserted windy streets where i can drive fast and switch gears, and a loud exhaust sure makes it more fun rather than hearing nothing. The reason i made the comment is to help other people on acurazine who are looking into this. That's why I described a diy of setting it up and the result AND I clearly stated that it gave no significant horsepower.... so i don't see the point of your comments other than bragging about your old rsti and being a douchebag. Welcome to Acurazine
Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Racer

By back roads i mean deserted windy streets where i can drive fast and switch gears, and a loud exhaust sure makes it more fun rather than hearing nothing. The reason i made the comment is to help other people on acurazine who are looking into this. That's why I described a diy of setting it up and the result AND I clearly stated that it gave no significant horsepower.... so i don't see the point of your comments other than bragging about your old rsti and being a douchebag. Welcome to Acurazine
I understand the term back roads. Again I don't see the direct link to driving fast and sounding fast, it just seems really silly. My post was to help this board that its a pointless mod other to sound "really fast". And to add to that you already have an exhaust. Usually people keep the stock exhaust and put these in so the don't get tickets but can open them up when they race. I'm sorry that me pointing out the truth offended you but instead of getting mad and coming up with an excuse why you put it on there you could have just said I put it on just to be loud and obnoxious. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Instructor

I understand the term back roads. Again I don't see the direct link to driving fast and sounding fast, it just seems really silly. My post was to help this board that its a pointless mod other to sound "really fast". And to add to that you already have an exhaust. Usually people keep the stock exhaust and put these in so the don't get tickets but can open them up when they race. I'm sorry that me pointing out the truth offended you but instead of getting mad and coming up with an excuse why you put it on there you could have just said I put it on just to be loud and obnoxious. Thanks for the welcome.
If I wanted to be "just loud and obnoxious" I would have welded a straight pipe. The cutout gave me the option to be Loud, quiet and anywhere in between. Yes you can call it a noisemaker, but for some people it's not pointless. Being able to choose the sound of my car for approx 150$ was worth it in my opinion. I have stock exhaust; and many people can't afford exhaust
The following users liked this post:
JAAcuraTL (03-04-2021)
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor

If I wanted to be "just loud and obnoxious" I would have welded a straight pipe. The cutout gave me the option to be Loud, quiet and anywhere inbetween. Yes you can call it a noisemaker, but for some people it's not pointless. Being able to choose the sound of my car for approx 150$ was worth it in my opinion. I have stock exhaust; and many people can't afford the overpriced exhausts for the TL. And to be honest I'm not looking for any more horsepower to send my front wheels sprinning, otherwise I wouldn't have a fwd TL.

If anyone has any questions, go ahead and post. There's just no room on Acurazine for people to repeat everything that has already been stated.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Racer

If I wanted to be "just loud and obnoxious" I would have welded a straight pipe. The cutout gave me the option to be Loud, quiet and anywhere inbetween. Yes you can call it a noisemaker, but for some people it's not pointless. Being able to choose the sound of my car for approx 150$ was worth it in my opinion. I have stock exhaust; and many people can't afford the overpriced exhausts for the TL. And to be honest I'm not looking for any more horsepower to send my front wheels sprinning, otherwise I wouldn't have a fwd TL.

If anyone has any questions, go ahead and post. There's just no room on Acurazine for people to repeat everything that has already been stated.
It wasn't stated in this thread. I just found it funny as to why you said you did it that it was to have fun while driving the back roads. No reason to get all defensive about it. As I said its not my car. I was just trying to get a better understanding as to why. All you had to state is that you wanted control when you were really noisy and when you're not. I just needed a simple answer not an answer that made you seem like a back roads racer.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

I agree that the exhaust dump is more for FI apps for cars pushing upwards of 350 odd hp to get that high end power....but since this guys is done it, lets just let it be rather than bashing him on the mod....

Got any videos dude?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
A cutout gives you the option of being quiet when closed, and loud and aggressive when open. On a stock exhaust, I'm sure it will add some power.

What size did you get OP? If you got a 2.5" or 3" it's like adding a catback basically. I'm thinking of getting one as well because I'm tired of my obnoxious exhaust. I'm full bolt on and would love the option of riding around with only a slight burble (from the catless DPs) through a stock exhaust. Then if I wanted to play, "switch."
Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Instructor

I now look back and laugh at the criticism for putting a cutout on my N/A... did you guys really think i was done modding? As of right now my exhaust consists of RV6 PCD -> xlr8 j pipe -> 2.5 long base resonator -> 2.5 cutout -> stage 3

I dont have dyno numbers, but I am positive that in the high RPM's i am putting down more power than with cutout closed. (no 2.25 stock piping before cutout). Im gonna do a test and race my friends 06 g35 coupe with it both closed and open and ill try to take a video and show the results. FI is still being considered. but i dont think its worth spending that amount of money on a fwd, in addition i don't even have that type of money right now. Honestly i havent spent much on this car, mostly everything i bought was already used and can be installed yourself. But maybe if someone is selling a supercharger for a steal, ill give in and really get some use out of the cutout. But for now, the switch is my little sport mode when open throttle.

In addition I'm really happy with this setup. With cutout closed, the car is nice and quiet, slightly louder than stock with g35 growl, and the back pressure of stock exhaust makes me feel like the TL actually has some torque when in traffic. With cutout open, the large resonator gives off a great sound, in my opinion, that sound better than most TLs on youtube, and is no louder than a normal catback would be with PCD.

What do you guys think? Flame me? or like it?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
I now look back and laugh at the criticism for putting a cutout on my N/A... did you guys really think i was done modding? As of right now my exhaust consists of RV6 PCD -> xlr8 j pipe -> 2.5 long base resonator -> 2.5 cutout -> stage 3

I dont have dyno numbers, but I am positive that in the high RPM's i am putting down more power than with cutout closed. (no 2.25 stock piping before cutout). Im gonna do a test and race my friends 06 g35 coupe with it both closed and open and ill try to take a video and show the results. FI is still being considered. but i dont think its worth spending that amount of money on a fwd, in addition i don't even have that type of money right now. Honestly i havent spent much on this car, mostly everything i bought was already used and can be installed yourself. But maybe if someone is selling a supercharger for a steal, ill give in and really get some use out of the cutout. But for now, the switch is my little sport mode when open throttle.

In addition I'm really happy with this setup. With cutout closed, the car is nice and quiet, slightly louder than stock with g35 growl, and the back pressure of stock exhaust makes me feel like the TL actually has some torque when in traffic. With cutout open, the large resonator gives off a great sound, in my opinion, that sound better than most TLs on youtube, and is no louder than a normal catback would be with PCD.

What do you guys think? Flame me? or like it?
There has been multiple dyno's showing that a cutout lost power. It was only like 3-5whp, not enough to tell in a race. However, since you will have the stock exhaust you MIGHT gain some. But more than likely the ecu will flip and go to rich and cause a power loss or no gain and if your lucky a little gain. Jmo from what I've seen.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Instructor

^I appreciate you knowledge.

My friends g35 coupe is a shit auto too, though he has some mods. Were gonna do several races both with it both open and closed and see if there is any noticeable difference. If I were to have a catback, im sure it would do nothing. But the fact that i still have stock restrictive exhaust makes me think that i may be gaining a small amount, but not sure. The reason i want to stick with this setup is because i dont like hearing sound when im driving especially when i have people in my car.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Nothing like a super loud car moving slowly to make me bust out laughing! leave that to the civics
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Instructor

^and that is why i put a resonator that is over two feet long before cutout. its no louder than greddy catback alone. Dont believe me? I can post a video as proof. And yes, every acura tl is slow unless its supercharged, turbo, or of course on nitrous.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Instructor

Heres someone with the same setup except they are using a smaller resonator than mine.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Well the other night my friend and i did two races. One from 20mph and the other from 40mph.

The 06 g35 coupe auto has intake, plenum spacer, resonated test pipes and hks exhaust

My 07 tl auto has intake, PCD, XLR8 j pipe and electric cutout

We did both races at night and I recorded it on my phone. And guess what, TL won both races. Not bad for a luxury sedan huh?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Instructor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wzJ...ature=youtu.be

Race from 20mph, bottom of third gear was my weak point but regained grown at around 100mph when g35 shifted into 4th gear.

BTW listen to that Beautiful TL