dryflow filter cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
dryflow filter cleaning?

How are you guys maintaining your AEM dryflow air filters? any tips or techniques I should know about?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ah, I am replacing it from time to time...thats about it? I dont clean those things...just toss and replace. I know the oiled ones could be serviced, but honestly...not sure about the dry flow ones.

Here...I checked the AEM site (not sure why you didnt before posting a thead...but ok...I will do the work for you here...lol)

Here is a video on how to do it...

http://www.aempower.com/files/dryflo...rcleaning.html

Q: How often should I clean the DRYFLOW filter?
A: Frequency of cleaning for your DRYFLOW filter will depend on the conditions in which you drive. As a rule, we recommend that you clean your filter a minimum of every 10,000 miles, inspect it during oil changes and regular service intervals, and clean it if it appears to be reaching its dust holding capacity. If you live in particularly arid, dusty climates or venture off road, we recommend cleaning the filter every 3-5,000 miles. Keep in mind that a clean air filter can increase fuel economy as much as 10% compared to a dirty air filter, and service time for the DRYFLOW filter is only approximately one hour, so you can accomplish it in about the time it takes to change your oil. CLICK HERE for a cleaning demonstration video!

Q: How long does it take to clean the DRYFLOW filter?
A: The DRYFLOW filter media is hydrophobic, which is a fancy way of saying it does not soak up water. Under normal conditions, cleaning will take about an hour. We recommend that you follow the instructions that are included in our intake systems and DRYFLOW filter replacement filter kits (CLICK HERE for downloadable cleaning instructions). Unlike oiled filters that must be cleaned, then dried, then oiled, then wait for the oil to wick to the material and finally fill in any “gaps” where the oil did not wick, with the DRYFLOW you simply bucket soak it, bucket rinse, shake it out and it will be dry in approximately 30 minutes! CLICK HERE for a cleaning demonstration video!

There ya go! They are cleanable and this is how ya do it. Honestly...I just buy new ones though.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Ah, I am replacing it from time to time...thats about it? I dont clean those things...just toss and replace. I know the oiled ones could be serviced, but honestly...not sure about the dry flow ones.

Here...I checked the AEM site (not sure why you didnt before posting a thead...but ok...I will do the work for you here...lol)

A: Frequency of cleaning for your DRYFLOW filter will depend on the conditions in which you drive. As a rule, we recommend that you clean your filter a minimum of every 10,000 miles, inspect it during oil changes and regular service intervals, and clean it if it appears to be reaching its dust holding capacity. If you live in particularly arid, dusty climates or venture off road, we recommend cleaning the filter every 3-5,000 miles. Keep in mind that a clean air filter can increase fuel economy as much as 10% compared to a dirty air filter, and service time for the DRYFLOW filter is only approximately one hour, so you can accomplish it in about the time it takes to change your oil. CLICK HERE for a cleaning demonstration video!

A: The DRYFLOW filter media is hydrophobic, which is a fancy way of saying it does not soak up water. Under normal conditions, cleaning will take about an hour. We recommend that you follow the instructions that are included in our intake systems and DRYFLOW filter replacement filter kits (CLICK HERE for downloadable cleaning instructions). Unlike oiled filters that must be cleaned, then dried, then oiled, then wait for the oil to wick to the material and finally fill in any “gaps” where the oil did not wick, with the DRYFLOW you simply bucket soak it, bucket rinse, shake it out and it will be dry in approximately 30 minutes! CLICK HERE for a cleaning demonstration video!

There ya go! They are cleanable and this is how ya do it. Honestly...I just buy new ones though.
how much you getting them for, benz?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Around $35 if I can remember correctly. I have only replaced three...and the first one was the oiled...the other two were dry flow.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
makes one wonder if soap and water will do the same thing?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redrum4me
makes one wonder if soap and water will do the same thing?
ya, and i still have the cleaning kit from K&N. i should be able to use that solution just fine right? as long as i don't put the oil on, it should be good.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Instructor

i actually think benz' way of doing it is the easiest/quickest... but then most expensive..

I guess if you don't want to risk f'n something up, buy and replace..
Old 12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz

Thanks for the link to the video, I visited the website prior to posting but only saw the info regarding their cleaning kit which did not have any directions or links to this information unless I missed it.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Pro

I bought the AEM cleaning solution (from www.ptuning.com). It really wasn't very difficult. It was moderately dirty. It takes more time to access the filter than to do the actual cleaning. I will probably clean it a few more times before buying a new one.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Actually...my theory has always been on that....that I was just gonna buy new ones...clean the old ones and sell em on ebay as used cleaned filters for $10 or something. BUT...never have gotten around to it. Prob the best thing....would be to do em just like we do the no-toil filters we use on motocross bikes...have two...clean one at your leisure and have at the ready....and switch when ready....and repeat process. Then no wait for dry time.....and you can do it on your schedule.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I have an injen cai, which i was planning on swapping its filter for either an aem filter or a fujitu filter (was leaning torwards the fujitu)