Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:07 AM
j1n
Pro

Thank you ankur
Old 09-17-2009 | 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ankur914
Sorry for the lack of input, but heres the rundown of the effects of the resonator cone.

On cold startup, the drone is not annoyingly loud anymore. Before when i used to start up the car in the garage (with the damn door open lol), our dinner plates, wall fixings, and such would rattle in the kitchen (attached garage). After the cone install, not so much.

The incabin drone of cold start up is also significantly reduced.

Prior to the entire exhaust installation, i had a vibration free car (after one dealer visit to cure the rear deck rattle...which by the way, Libertyville Acura rocks). After the exhaust install, pre-resonator cone install..well...There were too many rattles that i couldnt count. ONe in the center console, one in the passenger side door, one in the drivers side seat belt pillar, another in the damn dash which seemed to be coming from way inside the dash.

Well, after the resonator cone install, all the vibrations aside from the center console rattle were all eliminated. Less resonance produced by cone downstream of resonator is what i surmise. Additionally, when crusing at 80 mph, i dont get a headache. Dont get me wrong, there is still low frequency drone present, but it doesnt feel like your head is going to pop off. I can enjoy music at a volume of 10 now also.

In terms of power loss, the ole butt dyno didnt feel any sort of loss at all. Still very peppy and for some reason, still struggles to get into fifth gear when around 40-47 mph (rpms hover around 1800-2000 rpms). This shifing issue was noticed after i installed the exhaust. And no, i did not disconnect the battery, so this may be the underlying issue (but after 200 miles, youd think the comp woulda relearned any sorta change...oh well).

Many people stated that after the resonator cone was installed, the drone was not annoying anymore. It is now definintely tolerable, and at times, nice to listen to. People can hold a conversation in the car as well.

All in all, i now love the exhaust. I dont think i would change anything on it. It sounds great outside of the car, and pretty dope on the inside. I will say that after 200 miles, i have started to get used to the sound, but the resonator cone did make a difference. I hope this helps in evaluating your decision.
Hey,

I am sorry but I forgot, did u get the res version or no res. Maybe this has been said already, but where does this cone go? Do I need to go to a shop to weld it or it is just plug and play?
Old 09-17-2009 | 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
Hey,

I am sorry but I forgot, did u get the res version or no res. Maybe this has been said already, but where does this cone go? Do I need to go to a shop to weld it or it is just plug and play?
Hey Tim,
I got the resonated version. Per Josh's instructions, i had it tack welded into place after the resonator. Basically, right when you undo the middle v-band clamp, insert the cone tip facing front of car into the resonator pipe (which is the first piece of exhaust piping that connects to the cat). We slid it in an inch or so, and welded it.
Old 09-17-2009 | 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Tim,
I got the resonated version. Per Josh's instructions, i had it tack welded into place after the resonator. Basically, right when you undo the middle v-band clamp, insert the cone tip facing front of car into the resonator pipe (which is the first piece of exhaust piping that connects to the cat). We slid it in an inch or so, and welded it.
Did it really help? I don't know what everyone means by drone

the sound on my exhaust changes when in 1500 RPM and 2000 RPM but other than that sound just like g35 but just a bit louder lol
Old 09-18-2009 | 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Hey Tim,
Hi Ankur,

I wasn't sure if you mentioned this before, but did you have a Type-S or standard TL? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2009 | 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Did it really help? I don't know what everyone means by drone

the sound on my exhaust changes when in 1500 RPM and 2000 RPM but other than that sound just like g35 but just a bit louder lol
It did help for me at least. The drone is low frequency resonance caused by low velocity exhaust gases. Sounds a lot like deep bass...kinda like mobb deep - quiet storm remix bass, or fabolous - throw it in the bag kind of bass.

Originally Posted by jerome736
Hi Ankur,

I wasn't sure if you mentioned this before, but did you have a Type-S or standard TL? Thanks!
I have a 2006 TL (base).
Old 09-19-2009 | 03:08 AM
Intermediate

I have a 2006 TL (base).
Dang it haha...anyone have any luck on the -S?
Old 09-19-2009 | 08:49 PM
Racer

I want to add my testimony to the thread.

I had my XLR8 installed almost 4 months ago and I have a converted type-s fitted onto a Base TL. Mine is resonated with the resonator cones.

As everyone else has stated the sound outside the exhaust is wonderful however that drone especially 1.7k - 2.3k is enough to rattle your brain out of your skull. Just like one person said, if you have change you won't hear anything in your car. lol

I've driven mine for quite a good amount of mileage and I really need some solutions on deadening the sound. I'm in the process of purchasing the vibrant resonator and having it TIG welded in the place of the original bottle resonator the XLR8 came with.

I'm really interested to see what happens with the Magnaflow oval muffler though and for anyone that has performed this it would be appreciated if many of us could see some pictures of how this looks. I'm at my breaking point right now and I just want to have something that isn't bassing the car out at 2k.

BTW I'm 2.5 all the way through with ATLP J-Pipe, and ATLP Hi-Flo Catalytic Converter.

Question:

Did anyone notice lagg with acceleration with their setups? Maybe it's just me because I have 2.5 all the way through. I know my top end is way stronger but my low end is really laggy.
Old 09-19-2009 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pellepelle_10
I've driven mine for quite a good amount of mileage and I really need some solutions on deadening the sound. I'm in the process of purchasing the vibrant resonator and having it TIG welded in the place of the original bottle resonator the XLR8 came with.
What's your time table for this? I am gonna jack up the car tomorrow to see where the vibrant will fit, but i'll wait if you're almost done with the mod to see if it works.
Old 09-20-2009 | 02:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gilla_monster
What's your time table for this? I am gonna jack up the car tomorrow to see where the vibrant will fit, but i'll wait if you're almost done with the mod to see if it works.
I wasn't going to add it in addition to the resonator. I was going to replace the resonator with this one. I'm working out a couple factory glitches before I even look towards toning this drone down so it could be a couple weeks for me. I don't have a time table so I don't want peeps waiting forever for a verdict. I'm shooting for 3 weeks max.
Old 09-20-2009 | 02:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by c2pid
yes, behind the race pipe. everything after the race pipe is basically a straight pipe, so the installer just have to cut out whatever is needed. part #10436 is a 22" resonator; the complete length with ends is 28".

here is the link: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=7955
Hey c2pid. Take some shots under your car so people can see exactly where you put that mid muffler. I'm curious to see what you did to yours.
Old 09-20-2009 | 10:09 AM
j1n
Pro

well my time table for the magnaflow is looking like some time during the week. thats if the cone was really sent out last friday.

so if anyone is waiting on my ass then hopefully we wont be waiting much longer.
Old 09-20-2009 | 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, my only concern is when I am on 4th gear and between 1600 rpm and 2000 rpm. That is my only concern. The sound gets in the cabin like there is no tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2009 | 07:45 PM
Too many $$ toys

Originally Posted by j1n

so if anyone is waiting on my ass then hopefully we wont be waiting much longer.
uh - yeah, i am waiting on your ass. how much are they charging you to TIG it? since they are seal welds versus full penetration welds, it ought to go pretty fast.

give us the report pronto. i have the resonator in my amazon shopping cart.
Old 09-22-2009 | 01:59 AM
Racer

Ok, my only concern is when I am on 4th gear and between 1600 rpm and 2000 rpm. That is my only concern. The sound gets in the cabin like there is no tomorrow.
You can say that again. That is my only gripe also. That shit is loud. I remember the first day I had my car I had to get out of it because I was literally getting a headache from the drone in city driving.

I think I may keep the original resonator and just add the second one where the mid muffler used to go for the original exhaust.
Old 09-23-2009 | 07:01 PM
j1n
Pro

anyone get thier cone yet??????????????????

sorry but it seems like most the shit i get from XLR8 takes FOREVER!!!!

took like 2 months to get my suspension, the GB took even longer and now ive been waiting on the cone for a while. if i had a tracking & or something then atleast i would have an idea of when its gonna come but im in the dark and i check the mail everyday and there is nothing.

i know its not really joshes fault but its a bit annoying. No offense josh. you will still get my business.

just had to vent a little.
Old 09-24-2009 | 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by j1n
anyone get thier cone yet??????????????????

sorry but it seems like most the shit i get from XLR8 takes FOREVER!!!!

took like 2 months to get my suspension, the GB took even longer and now ive been waiting on the cone for a while. if i had a tracking & or something then atleast i would have an idea of when its gonna come but im in the dark and i check the mail everyday and there is nothing.

i know its not really joshes fault but its a bit annoying. No offense josh. you will still get my business.

just had to vent a little.
I'm just waiting on tracking #'s.

Yes the suspension was a wait b/c NEUSPEED has been back ordered ont he Super Cup Kit (shocks are back ordered due to KONI) but we got you out the TEIN SS quickly once we traded over to those.

The exhaust was a GB; GB's take time. That's the nature of getting an additional discount; you have to wait.

But yes we are just waiting on tracking info on the cones. I'm working as hard as I can to get them out.
Old 09-24-2009 | 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I'm just waiting on tracking #'s.

Yes the suspension was a wait b/c NEUSPEED has been back ordered ont he Super Cup Kit (shocks are back ordered due to KONI) but we got you out the TEIN SS quickly once we traded over to those.

The exhaust was a GB; GB's take time. That's the nature of getting an additional discount; you have to wait.

But yes we are just waiting on tracking info on the cones. I'm working as hard as I can to get them out.
Still waiting on my exhaust too :P...if it hasn't been made yet I may be trying to pay the extra amount for a resonated version at this point if it comes with the cone welded in haha.
Old 09-24-2009 | 07:21 PM
j1n
Pro

Gilla i wouldnt be to worried about adding the cone. i was in my garage and looking thru the parts ive taken off the car cause im giving away my stock intake to a member on here. well anyways i picked up the 3rd cat and i never really looked at it before when i took it off but i picked it up and looked inside and WOW talk about restricting airflow. i held it up to the light and i could barely see any light thru it. after seeing that im really not worried at all with the cone.
Old 09-24-2009 | 09:17 PM
I Have A Meth Lab In

Whoever has the Hi-Flow cat, did that help?? Supposedly, that's one of the steps in reducing drone, but I haven't bought one yet as nobody seems to vouch for its effectiveness.

I think BB got this exhaust right in that the sound is awesome from outside, but if they killed the drone, it'd be so much better.

Am hoping Josh put me in for the cone, I am driving at 3k RPM plus most of the time just to not hear that drone.
Old 09-24-2009 | 10:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by andyc123
Whoever has the Hi-Flow cat, did that help?? Supposedly, that's one of the steps in reducing drone, but I haven't bought one yet as nobody seems to vouch for its effectiveness.

I think BB got this exhaust right in that the sound is awesome from outside, but if they killed the drone, it'd be so much better.

Am hoping Josh put me in for the cone, I am driving at 3k RPM plus most of the time just to not hear that drone.
Hi-Flow cat didn't help. I have 2.5 all the way back man.

ATLP J-Pipe, ATLP Hi-Flow Cat, XLR8 resonated catback with the resonator cones. It tones it down a little more but for me I still need something else.

I'm taking my car the the exhaust shop this Saturday to have them assess it and see what the best option is. They only carry flowmaster and magnaflow so I may need to order the Vibrant and go from there. I'll do my best to keep you guys updated.
Old 09-25-2009 | 06:55 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I have lots of rasp with the test pipe. Does anyone else?
Old 09-25-2009 | 10:05 AM
2008 NBP TL Type S

rasp? no, not at all.
Old 09-25-2009 | 11:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by j1n
Gilla i wouldnt be to worried about adding the cone. i was in my garage and looking thru the parts ive taken off the car cause im giving away my stock intake to a member on here. well anyways i picked up the 3rd cat and i never really looked at it before when i took it off but i picked it up and looked inside and WOW talk about restricting airflow. i held it up to the light and i could barely see any light thru it. after seeing that im really not worried at all with the cone.
I still have the stock 3rd cat, thank you very much! lol I just thought I remember Josh saying that the cone was supposed to be installed right before the resonator, to make it more effective. Tacking in on at the end doesn't seem like it would have much of an effect. Hopefully it does work for you. I'm still a bit torn between the Magnaflow and the Vibrant, but that is the route I am going to go.
Old 09-25-2009 | 08:13 PM
j1n
Pro

I still have the stock 3rd cat, thank you very much! lol I just thought I remember Josh saying that the cone was supposed to be installed right before the resonator, to make it more effective. Tacking in on at the end doesn't seem like it would have much of an effect. Hopefully it does work for you. I'm still a bit torn between the Magnaflow and the Vibrant, but that is the route I am going to go.
yeah i think he said that in that thread where you found about the cone.

Josh can you please clarify where the cone goes? also any update on it?.. tracking #s?
Old 09-25-2009 | 10:43 PM
Racer

gilla which one are you doing. I'm thinking I'm going to go Vibrant. I've farted around other threads on feedback and they seem to get good reviews. Plus josh recommends them over magnaflow. *shrugs*
Old 09-25-2009 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

^ The only thing is, where to put it... It isn't long enough to replace the existing resonator, which the magnaflow is, but it probably too long and wide to fit where the stock 3rd muffler went. I agree that it is probably the better product for what we need, but I'm not certain that it will fit. Anyone know any more about it?
Old 09-25-2009 | 11:29 PM
Racer

^ The only thing is, where to put it... It isn't long enough to replace the existing resonator, which the magnaflow is, but it probably too long and wide to fit where the stock 3rd muffler went. I agree that it is probably the better product for what we need, but I'm not certain that it will fit. Anyone know any more about it?
I just purchased the Vibrant. It's only 14" long so I'll try to place it somewhere near where the mid muffler went. Josh told me it should fit there. My order doesn't come in until Oct 2nd and I'm going to the muffler shop tomorrow. I'll have them figure it out then.
Old 09-26-2009 | 07:51 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

It's not going to fit there. That area is shaped for the OE muffler, and there is a bend there as well. Probably have to place it along the run of pipe after/before the resonator.
Old 09-28-2009 | 02:22 PM
Instructor

anyone have any results yet? Is everyone waiting for this cone?
Old 09-28-2009 | 03:11 PM
j1n
Pro

Nope nothing yet. still waiting on the cone.

"Joshua,

I submitted the list of customers that need to receive a resonator cone. The cones are being cut out now and should all leave by Friday."

^according to this post they should have been shipped on 9/18
Old 09-28-2009 | 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes they should have been shipped already. We have had some delays with BB and we have expressed our concerns over these delays. We seemed to have resolved these delays today. I'm expecting that all the cones will be shipping out shortly.
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:01 PM
Racer

Alright guys here goes.

First of all I have to say Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator FTMFW.

The drone has silenced to perfection. There is still a hint of drone but it's not rattling change in the cupholder and I still have a killer note on throttle. The exhaust note at idle has quieted a little bit also. I'm going to try my best to get you guys some vid clips. I farted around with my digital camera and the clips are too short. I'll try to get more when a second body is around so I can do some rear end clips.

I have to say I'm very impressed and many of you should go for the Vibrant.

For the weld the guys had to do it right at the bend before the y pipe. That was the only place to give good enough clearance so the muffler didn't show too low. As you can see in my pictures the muffler does show alot lower than previously so for those who are 2" may want to look at some options on this. If you're 1" you should be fine. I don't think this is any lower than the ATLP original J-Pipe for those who have it. Overall I have to say I'm highly impressed as I was a little worried my car would have no exhaust note at all. This was not the case. I hope this helps some of you guys.

Old 10-03-2009 | 04:21 PM
Too many $$ toys

i would not qualify those as welds. you now have a stainless system that is going to rust out right there. that should have been tig welded with 3/32" ER308L or equivalent.
Old 10-03-2009 | 05:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by surlynkid
i would not qualify those as welds. you now have a stainless system that is going to rust out right there. that should have been tig welded with 3/32" ER308L or equivalent.
Please explain. I don't get it.
Old 10-03-2009 | 08:36 PM
Too many $$ toys

Originally Posted by pellepelle_10
Please explain. I don't get it.
they used standard exhaust shop welding techniques on a stainless exhaust. stainless requires welding specific for stainless steel. that is almost always TIG, although there are stainless sticks rods, but the number of people in an exhaust shop that could stick rod stainless is about nil. i cannot do it effectively, but i have played around with them. they are impossible for me to go uphill or downhill. TIG is tungsten inert gas. look at the welds on the rest of your exhaust and compare them to what the exhaust shop did. world of difference, eh? one looks like little circles laid on top of each other, and the other looks like a big booger, hence the name booger welds.

i have a miller syncrowave 180 TIG welder, and will weld in my own resonator & cone. i think the problem J1N had was finding a shop that could TIG for him. TIG is time consuming and much more expensive simply because of the time to do it. to do it right, the muffler/resonator would have to be tacked while in place and then dropped to the bench to complete the welding.
Old 10-04-2009 | 12:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by surlynkid
they used standard exhaust shop welding techniques on a stainless exhaust. stainless requires welding specific for stainless steel. that is almost always TIG, although there are stainless sticks rods, but the number of people in an exhaust shop that could stick rod stainless is about nil. i cannot do it effectively, but i have played around with them. they are impossible for me to go uphill or downhill. TIG is tungsten inert gas. look at the welds on the rest of your exhaust and compare them to what the exhaust shop did. world of difference, eh? one looks like little circles laid on top of each other, and the other looks like a big booger, hence the name booger welds.

i have a miller syncrowave 180 TIG welder, and will weld in my own resonator & cone. i think the problem J1N had was finding a shop that could TIG for him. TIG is time consuming and much more expensive simply because of the time to do it. to do it right, the muffler/resonator would have to be tacked while in place and then dropped to the bench to complete the welding.
Yeah. I had a few shops tell me that welding with stainless sticks is a pain and if not done right it splatters. This was from a commercial welding shop that does everything from beams for buildings to signs/custom work. I spoke to a few other guys and nobody seems to like doing stainless rods. (shrugs) I think it'll be a tough task personally. If you guys find any luck let me know. My take is I won't have this car by the time I run into those complications so for now this will have to do. If I can find someone to do this I'll check into it but if its going to cost me bank I may just leave it as is. I don't live in the midwest.
Old 10-04-2009 | 02:13 AM
Racer

Enjoy guys

Startup from outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22180698@N04/3978775119/

Cruising the streets. Inside sounds of full system with Vibrant Resonator (I step into it for a sec at abt 22 secs remaining)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22180698@N04/3978662295/
Old 10-04-2009 | 07:59 AM
j1n
Pro

Very nice pellepelle_10!

surlynkid, yeah the first place i took it to couldnt do it cause its stainless steel. i already have two places i can take it to that will do TIG welds on it.

to bad i already got the magnaflow. i think the magnaflow + cone will be good tho.

On friday i set off a car alarm with the XLR8 catback TWICE!. lol
i was at work in the parking lot and i was pulling into a spot but wasnt going in good so i backed up a little and got about 6 ft away from this honda accord and as soon as i hit the gas the alarm goes off. One of the guards comes up to me and tells me that it was my car that set the alarm off. i lol'd and went inside to the gym we have in the building there and worked out. when i finished i got back in my car, the honda was still there. i backed up to get out of the spot and as soon as i hit the gas the alarm goes off again! lol the three guards at the gate start laughing and pointing at me saying you did it again. the other dude was like i told you it was your car.
Old 10-04-2009 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

^ Haha. Nice!

Good to see about the Vibrant resonator. Now I'm just waiting on j1n with the magnaflow to make the decision. I'm not lowered at all (well, I'm actually not sure what/if the previous owner put on) but i might not want to have anything hanging too low. Just to clarify, pellepelle_10, did you leave the resonator on there and ADD the vibrant after it?

Quick Reply: The Drone is unreal! Help!