Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tihomirbg
Is it the one from XLR8 that was supposed to come with the exhaust for those of u that got the resonated version?
yup
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I guess about what I expected it'd look like. I'm very curious to see what it does for the drone.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont know about you guys, but on certain days, my drone is not that bad, but on others, is just damn near head shattering. I have a feeling i fucked up somewhere on the install, where the hangers have pinned themselves on the rubber to cause an over amount of resonance...
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gilla_monster
I'm thinking the cone isn't what we want anyway. Sounds like it would restrict exhaust flow... Good luck j1n. It was good to see your pictures b/c I had never seen the OEM resonator. Mine came with a hacked off stage 4 exhaust. Based on that, I'm thinking this magnaflow muffler is gonna work. How do they compare on the inside? Perforated metal pipe with packing?

BTW: Are you neglecting your OEM Type-S wheels?
The inside on both has perforated metal. I think the magnaflow will make a deeper, less drone-ish exhaust note.

lol yes those are my type s OEM wheels just sitting in my garage. ive been thinking about selling them but not sure if i will.

ankur914 when did you get the cone? did you ask josh for it or did it just come in th mail?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by j1n

ankur914 when did you get the cone? did you ask josh for it or did it just come in th mail?
It arrived yesterday. It was from B&B. Im pretty sure its from Josh's efforts to address our concerns. I surely didnt expect it to arrive yesterday, but it was a nice surpise ....my only problem now if finding a damn exhaust shop in chicago that is good with welding & handling stainless steel.

If anyone is in the chicago area in need of a custom exhaust shop that welds and deals with stainless steel, i guess Iggy's Muffler Shop is it...I have no experience with them, but from the online yelp reviews, they seem to be a good shop. Im going to be going there tommorow.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Dont waste your time and money with the resonators etc, just get a mid muffler like the one thats CT cat back comes with, magnaflow makes them in the exact dimension.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by ankur914
It arrived yesterday. It was from B&B. Im pretty sure its from Josh's efforts to address our concerns. I surely didnt expect it to arrive yesterday, but it was a nice surpise ....my only problem now if finding a damn exhaust shop in chicago that is good with welding & handling stainless steel.

If anyone is in the chicago area in need of a custom exhaust shop that welds and deals with stainless steel, i guess Iggy's Muffler Shop is it...I have no experience with them, but from the online yelp reviews, they seem to be a good shop. Im going to be going there tommorow.
did you know it was being sent to you? i would like to get the cone if it helps.

i was thinking about getting a small muffler like the one on the CT and using the magnaflow one right behind the test pipe. but that might be a bit much. i dont want to completely silence the exhaust i just dont want drone.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The resonator cone doesn't really reduce hp; they've tested them before. It's designed to reduce resonance. I've asked BB to send all the resonated customers resonator cones.

The cone goes in the front pipe after the resonator and the tip of the cone faces the front of the car. You will want to have the cone tack welded in place.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by j1n
did you know it was being sent to you? i would like to get the cone if it helps.

i was thinking about getting a small muffler like the one on the CT and using the magnaflow one right behind the test pipe. but that might be a bit much. i dont want to completely silence the exhaust i just dont want drone.
Well...Josh beat me to it, lol

Im hoping to get it installed tomorrow. I will definitely post my experience once i have it done.

FYI, if you google "B&B drone" - a thread about CTS's having the drone pops up. Some members installed a dynatech vortex cone in their systems and stated that it helped reduce drone. I hypothesize that these cones will do the same for us, eventhough they are not as large as the dynatechs.

Last edited by ankur914; 09-11-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Josh beat me to it! lol
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate
The resonator cone doesn't really reduce hp; they've tested them before. It's designed to reduce resonance. I've asked BB to send all the resonated customers resonator cones.

The cone goes in the front pipe after the resonator and the tip of the cone faces the front of the car. You will want to have the cone tack welded in place.
Thank you Josh.

Guess i'll have to wait for the cone before moving forward with the magnaflow.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
2008 NBP TL Type S

Do you guys have any idea if this cone will do anything for the "Non-Res" exhausts? Just throwing some ideas around in my head.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n

well...if you adding back the small muffler (aka mid-muffler) and the magnaflow resonator.... the only diff. is the pipe size & mufflers. you're basically going back to stock setup. my
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by c2pid
well...if you adding back the small muffler (aka mid-muffler) and the magnaflow resonator.... the only diff. is the pipe size & mufflers. you're basically going back to stock setup. my
Yeah i know. i'm not going that route. it just crossed my mind before when i was annoyed by the drone.

i'm very curious to see ankurs results with adding just the cone.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
Dont waste your time and money with the resonators etc, just get a mid muffler like the one thats CT cat back comes with, magnaflow makes them in the exact dimension.
mmmh good point this had never occured to me... I just looked at the catalog and found the following

only if it were more cost friendly... $105 is a bit much
magnaflow 14148 $105

magnaflow 14158 $105
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ Yessir, the first one is it, notice that it is a bit smaller in dimensions to the Comptech one so it shouldnt kill the exhaust note to a point where you cant hear it.

The above cone may resolve the resonance issue but if the exhaust is still too loud for you then get the mid muffler. The long 4/5/6" diameter mufflers dont tend to reduce noise as much as the oval shaped due to the lack of packing material depth. A 5" round mid muffler with 2.5" pipe has only 1"~1.20" inch of packing material to reduce noise, compare that to a 5" X 8" oval one which, towards the sides, has as much as 2.75" of packing material, the depth of the material is what will reduce noise and resonance. This is proved and tested with the CT exhaust as the primary mufflers are even smaller than the XLR8 and ATLP mufflers but the mid muffler is where all the noise/resonance reduction happens.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

That cone is very similar to the CC Insert I purchased...below. I had it tack welded after my resonator, and it eliminated drone by 90%.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Josh (from Excelerate) said that the short oval Magnaflow mufflers won't really do much b/c they're race mufflers.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Too many $$ toys

so, is J1N's magnaflow the best option? is it installed yet? i want the best option, can do all the cutting and welding myself, and cost is not a concern. i need to cut the drone from 1800-2500rpm.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Got the resonator cone installed. The drone does seem to be cut out a bit. I would say about 30-40%. Its still present, but right now, i think I can live with it. Unfortunately, chicago afternoon traffic is a bitch. I could barely hold a constant speed above 65 mph..with all the gassing and coasting. At 50 -60 mph, the drone was toned down to tolerable. Under these conditions, i found the drone with the resonator cone tolerable. And, I didnt have to really raise my voice to talk (to myself...).

Later tonight, I will drive I-94 where i can hold a 80 mph speed constant.

I have a question for you all thou. After installing this exhaust system, i find that my car doesnt like to enter into 5th gear when driving around 40-45 mph, and holds revs at 1900-2000 RPMs. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:44 PM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by surlynkid
so, is J1N's magnaflow the best option? is it installed yet? i want the best option, can do all the cutting and welding myself, and cost is not a concern. i need to cut the drone from 1800-2500rpm.
As soon as i get the cone i will get the magnaflow and cone welded on. I'm taking it to a shop that was recommended from a friend i met on here. They said they can do it when ever. they will stay open later for me if they have to, so i can go anytime during the week. I have a sound recorder and i will do a before and after sound clip. i tried to do a before clip with my wifes digicam but it sucks for audio. thats why i never posted a vid of when i first got the exhast on.

Got the resonator cone installed. The drone does seem to be cut out a bit. I would say about 30-40%. Its still present, but right now, i think I can live with it. Unfortunately, chicago afternoon traffic is a bitch. I could barely hold a constant speed above 65 mph..with all the gassing and coasting. At 50 -60 mph, the drone was toned down to tolerable. Under these conditions, i found the drone with the resonator cone tolerable. And, I didnt have to really raise my voice to talk (to myself...).

Later tonight, I will drive I-94 where i can hold a 80 mph speed constant.

I have a question for you all thou. After installing this exhaust system, i find that my car doesnt like to enter into 5th gear when driving around 40-45 mph, and holds revs at 1900-2000 RPMs. Does this happen to anyone else?
Thanks for the update on the cone! im very confident in killing the drone with the magnaflow + cone.

40-45 is ussually when i shifts into 5th for me. when im decelerating it ussually down shifts at 39/40 MPH to 4th.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
dunno I think the mufflers jnc mentioned might work... best bet would be to install one on a non resonated setup and have a user review it...

I have seen those race muffelrs in person... and it was on a straight pipe 3" k series civic... wasn't that loud... weird
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM
I Have A Meth Lab In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gilla, where are you? I replied to your PM, am having the same issues. I already have a high flow J-pipe (ATLP V2) so your drone is at least as bad as mine.

Let me know what happens on your install if you get the MagnaFlow. This drone sucks.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

How recently did you ask BB to send them? I need one!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Instructor

I'm here! I'm waiting to see how j1n's 22" magnaflow muffler works out. If it doesn't help out much, and there is room under the car, I am going to install the Vibrant ultra-quiet resonator (basically mid-muffler size.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 PM
j1n
Pro

anyone else get the cone yet?.... im still waiting.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Instructor

haven't gotten mine...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
still waiting here too...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
There is a TL & GL in

I <3 The Drone
Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Some times when I am in the car by myself, I forget to put the music on b/c I am in an exhaust drone trance. I do realy like the sound, except when any of the other 4 seats are filled.

I'm gonna jack the car up this weekend, take some measurements, and then order THIS, assuming it fits somewhere. Even if the cone arrives before, I'm not gonna stick it in. I'd rather not put a restriction right in the middle of the pipe.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Some times when I am in the car by myself, I forget to put the music on b/c I am in an exhaust drone trance. I do realy like the sound, except when any of the other 4 seats are filled.

I'm gonna jack the car up this weekend, take some measurements, and then order THIS, assuming it fits somewhere. Even if the cone arrives before, I'm not gonna stick it in. I'd rather not put a restriction right in the middle of the pipe.
You going to cut out the original resonator and put the magnaflow in its place? or stick the magnaflow somewhere upstream (or downstream) of the original resonator?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
You guys should've bought the Comptech Exhaust and slapped on a Aero Resonator, very little drone, and at the same time not too loud in cabin. Anyways, I find it funny that one user said he had customers in his car with an exhaust... If you're going to have customers in your car, don't buy something that will make more noise.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM
j1n
Pro

What are the specs of the resonator? it doesnt say on the site.

i know what you mean. i dont mind it at all when im by myself... mostly because i barely hear it anyways cause im bumpin my music. but when i have passengers and the music is down and your trying to have a conversation the drone is annoying.

You going to cut out the original resonator and put the magnaflow in its place? or stick the magnaflow somewhere upstream (or downstream) of the original resonator?
I'm going to cut out the original resonator that came with it cause it is TINY and i dont think it really does anything. put the mangaflow in its place and add the cone right behind the res.

i will post before and after audio clips when i do it...... im still waiting on that cone!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I Have A Meth Lab In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, so I have to put my 2 cents into this, being that I have the Xcel Resonated version. Every fix I look at seems to restrict flow. The CC inserts have a small interior and holes on the outside, and the cone is, again, more metal with some holes.

Excel says it's been tested so I'll try the cone (if I get it). I'm a little hesitant to put an additional muffler on. We bought this type of exhaust to get more flow and hp to begin with, so I'm waiting to hear from everyone who straps on their choice.....
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by andyc123
Okay, so I have to put my 2 cents into this, being that I have the Xcel Resonated version. Every fix I look at seems to restrict flow. The CC inserts have a small interior and holes on the outside, and the cone is, again, more metal with some holes.

Excel says it's been tested so I'll try the cone (if I get it). I'm a little hesitant to put an additional muffler on. We bought this type of exhaust to get more flow and hp to begin with, so I'm waiting to hear from everyone who straps on their choice.....
I don't know if you got the res version or no res, but I got the non res. I have been driven the car 3 times so far since I did the installation. the more I drive, the more I like the sound. I would not change a thing for right now. My only complaint is between 1500 RPM and 2000 RPM. It is not that bad but I don't like the sound so much when in the this RPM range.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Just a heads up. This is the most recent update from BB:

Joshua,

I submitted the list of customers that need to receive a resonator cone. The cones are being cut out now and should all leave by Friday.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Too many $$ toys

Just a heads up. This is the most recent update from BB:

Joshua,

I submitted the list of customers that need to receive a resonator cone. The cones are being cut out now and should all leave by Friday.
Josh - see my post in the GB thread about this.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by j1n
What are the specs of the resonator? it doesnt say on the site.
The Vibrant resonator is 2.5" inlet/outlet (obviously) with overall length of 14". Resonator itself is 4.5" x 6.75" Oval with 10" body. It's basically the mid-muffler that we're looking for, IMO. I'm gonna leave the resonator alone and put this downstream, assuming it will fit downstream. It is a straight through design, eg: no physical path restrictions like the cone.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
j1n
Pro

Ankur, besides less drone did you feel any other differences when adding the cone?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by j1n
Ankur, besides less drone did you feel any other differences when adding the cone?
Sorry for the lack of input, but heres the rundown of the effects of the resonator cone.

On cold startup, the drone is not annoyingly loud anymore. Before when i used to start up the car in the garage (with the damn door open lol), our dinner plates, wall fixings, and such would rattle in the kitchen (attached garage). After the cone install, not so much.

The incabin drone of cold start up is also significantly reduced.

Prior to the entire exhaust installation, i had a vibration free car (after one dealer visit to cure the rear deck rattle...which by the way, Libertyville Acura rocks). After the exhaust install, pre-resonator cone install..well...There were too many rattles that i couldnt count. ONe in the center console, one in the passenger side door, one in the drivers side seat belt pillar, another in the damn dash which seemed to be coming from way inside the dash.

Well, after the resonator cone install, all the vibrations aside from the center console rattle were all eliminated. Less resonance produced by cone downstream of resonator is what i surmise. Additionally, when crusing at 80 mph, i dont get a headache. Dont get me wrong, there is still low frequency drone present, but it doesnt feel like your head is going to pop off. I can enjoy music at a volume of 10 now also.

In terms of power loss, the ole butt dyno didnt feel any sort of loss at all. Still very peppy and for some reason, still struggles to get into fifth gear when around 40-47 mph (rpms hover around 1800-2000 rpms). This shifing issue was noticed after i installed the exhaust. And no, i did not disconnect the battery, so this may be the underlying issue (but after 200 miles, youd think the comp woulda relearned any sorta change...oh well).

Many people stated that after the resonator cone was installed, the drone was not annoying anymore. It is now definintely tolerable, and at times, nice to listen to. People can hold a conversation in the car as well.

All in all, i now love the exhaust. I dont think i would change anything on it. It sounds great outside of the car, and pretty dope on the inside. I will say that after 200 miles, i have started to get used to the sound, but the resonator cone did make a difference. I hope this helps in evaluating your decision.

Quick Reply: The Drone is unreal! Help!