The Drone is unreal! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
Thanks for the info . i will probably go this route. oh btw i found it for 70$ when i googled it. the magnaflow site has it for 120$
I had no idea amazon sold magnaflow....
http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-1043.../dp/B000CCFZZ6

Old 09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
Thanks for the info . i will probably go this route. oh btw i found it for 70$ when i googled it. the magnaflow site has it for 120$
no prob! just make sure the installer uses the TIG welds...any experienced installer should know that, but you'll be surprised. i had a guy from a different shop telling me to install an aluminum resonator to save a few bucks, and the aluminum "should last me a long time". i was thinking "wtf...my complete system is stainless steel which i paid a good dollars for...and now i am gonna cheap out!?"
Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is fantastic news! I was just guessing that the 6" dia. muffler would fit, but I am psyched that this eliminated the problem. I still have the factory cat, but hopefully it achieves the same result. Thanks for helping us out.

Not to change the subject, but while re-reading the thread from the introduction of the XLR8 exhaust, it was mentioned that the resonated cat-backs would start coming with a pre-resonator cone to make the res more effective, straight from Billy Boat (post #347, page 9). I peeked in mine before instalation, and no such cone. What gives?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gilla_monster
This is fantastic news! I was just guessing that the 6" dia. muffler would fit, but I am psyched that this eliminated the problem. I still have the factory cat, but hopefully it achieves the same result. Thanks for helping us out.

Not to change the subject, but while re-reading the thread from the introduction of the XLR8 exhaust, it was mentioned that the resonated cat-backs would start coming with a pre-resonator cone to make the res more effective, straight from Billy Boat (post #347, page 9). I peeked in mine before instalation, and no such cone. What gives?
Not sure about the XLR8 system...I am thinking it's very similar to the ATLP. As long as it uses 2.5" piping, the Magnaflow #10436 will fit (4" diameter, 2.5" inlet & outlet). Otherwise you gotta find the one that fits.

The shop test fitted a bigger diameter resonator...I think it was the 6" (or the 5"??) and no go.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c2pid
That part will not fit...the body is too big (6"). You need either part #10426 (18") or part #10426 (22"). I have a complete ATLP setup (J-Pipe, race-pipe, and the quads), and like others have mentioned, the drone was crazy. I lived it for 3 weeks....it did get better, but the drone was still noticeable between 2K-3K under normal acceleration. After consulting with STILLHERE153(<-knows his stuff), I went with a Magnaflow #10436 resonator. Now the cabin drone is COMPLETELY GONE!! The exhaust note at the outside is still the same sexy ATLP sound, and you can hear it from the inside but not that intrusive drone.
yes, behind the race pipe. everything after the race pipe is basically a straight pipe, so the installer just have to cut out whatever is needed. part #10436 is a 22" resonator; the complete length with ends is 28".

here is the link: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=7955
c2pid. I probably should just PM you, but there are others that might benefit from this information.
Let's talk exhaust surgery. I got under the car this afternoon, and took some measurements. I'm going to assume that the bends in the ATLP exhaust are a bit different that the XLR8, but i have a 19" section that runs from the front flange (by the cat) to the first bend. Then, from the bend, I have EXACTLY 28" to the joint with the next peice (this section contains the tiny res).
It sounds like common sence that the largest muffler I can fit would provide the best noise suppression.
  1. Is it too tight to slip the #10436 28" in there with the bend being where it is or should I go with the next smaller size (#10435 24" overall)?
  2. If we go with the 28" one, would you recommend that the installer shorten one end of the Mag. muffler pipe so that the XLR8 straight pipe section can make it's unimpeeded bend, and then transition to the Mag. muffler? This way, I would only need one weld and the trailing end of the Mag. muffler can just slip into the clamped end of the next exhaust pipe section.
I thanks for your help with this. Feel free to drag stillhere153 into this mess if you'd like. All assistance is most appreciated.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

c2pid. I probably should just PM you, but there are others that might benefit from this information.
Let's talk exhaust surgery... All assistance is most appreciated.
Do you think there will be a reduction in gains made from changing the oem exhaust to the XLR8 with the large muffler? If so how much?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Gilla, Josh said hell get back to us on the resonated cone, hopefully by sometime next week. If the resonated cones are truly missing, installing that may just solve our drone problem .
Old 09-04-2009, 05:01 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
well that was fast....

im going to see if i can get it on this weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Let's talk exhaust surgery. I got under the car this afternoon, and took some measurements. I'm going to assume that the bends in the ATLP exhaust are a bit different that the XLR8, but i have a 19" section that runs from the front flange (by the cat) to the first bend. Then, from the bend, I have EXACTLY 28" to the joint with the next peice (this section contains the tiny res).
It sounds like common sence that the largest muffler I can fit would provide the best noise suppression.
  1. Is it too tight to slip the #10436 28" in there with the bend being where it is or should I go with the next smaller size (#10435 24" overall)?
  2. If we go with the 28" one, would you recommend that the installer shorten one end of the Mag. muffler pipe so that the XLR8 straight pipe section can make it's unimpeeded bend, and then transition to the Mag. muffler? This way, I would only need one weld and the trailing end of the Mag. muffler can just slip into the clamped end of the next exhaust pipe section.
I thanks for your help with this. Feel free to drag stillhere153 into this mess if you'd like. All assistance is most appreciated.

Have a look at the pictures in this thread as a reference for the ATLP catback system: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/3g-atlp-quad-exhaust-last-batch-10-w-j-pipe-test-pipe-lots-pics-741147/

Pictures #1, 8, & 9 shows a few good shots of that "almost straight" mid-pipe. That's the pipe you cut into for the Magnaflow. What exactly is the piping size of the XLR8? If it's 2.5" like the ATLP, Magnaflow #10435 will not fit as it has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. The longest 4" diameter with 2.5" inlet & outlet is the #10436. If space is an issue, you can go for the #10426, or Hushpower II "The Resonator" (part # 12512400).

So far I am EXTREMELY happy with the 10436. It's definitely is not stock quiet, and you will hear your exhaust (that's the purpose of an aftermarket exhaust right? )...but NOT that crazy drone. I am running a supercharger as well...now I can hear both the whine and that nice growl.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by j1n
well that was fast....

post your findings when have it installed...I am quite certain this will make you smile...nice tone and drone free.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jerome736
Do you think there will be a reduction in gains made from changing the oem exhaust to the XLR8 with the large muffler? If so how much?
not quite sure whether i understand this question..."reduction in gains" by going with the XLR8 with the larger muffler. i *think* the XLR8 system also uses 2.5" pipings and it does not have a mid-muffler...so it's bigger and more free flow then the OEM system (2.25")...that would give additional gains, not reduction in gains.

going back to topic of this thread..the drone. adding a high flow resonator to the system will take a small performance hit..maybe 1 or 2 whp. not sure what others feel about that, but i'll take that anyday over the dreadful drone...but that's only me.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by j1n
well that was fast....

Damn! I had no idea you'd get it going this fast! Now I have no choice but to wait and see how this turns out. I'm thinking that the one end of the Mag. muffler should fit right into the Y-pipe end, so you'll only need one weld done, just behind the bend in the straight pipe.

c2pid
- thanks so much for your help. I'm probably going to do the same thing as j1n. I must have looked at the wrong line for the Mag. muffler when I was typing my entry. The #10436 should be the winner, as you suggested.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ankur914
Gilla, Josh said hell get back to us on the resonated cone, hopefully by sometime next week. If the resonated cones are truly missing, installing that may just solve our drone problem .
I'm not super confident that the cone will do the trick. Unfortunately, the cone should most likely have been welded in directly before the resonator, which is now inaccessible at its leading end. I'm not sure if an obstruction in the center of the pipe is really what we want anyway. A larger resonator with some acoustical fiber should be the better choice, IMO what BB should have included in the first place.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
j1n
Pro

Damn! I had no idea you'd get it going this fast! Now I have no choice but to wait and see how this turns out. I'm thinking that the one end of the Mag. muffler should fit right into the Y-pipe end, so you'll only need one weld done, just behind the bend in the straight pipe.

c2pid
- thanks so much for your help. I'm probably going to do the same thing as j1n. I must have looked at the wrong line for the Mag. muffler when I was typing my entry. The #10436 should be the winner, as you suggested.
Yeah i ordered it from amazon and got over night shipping for only 4$. i'll try to do before and after vids of it from the outside and in the cabin.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by j1n
Yeah i ordered it from amazon and got over night shipping for only 4$. i'll try to do before and after vids of it from the outside and in the cabin.
I'm anxiously awaiting your results. C'mon!
Old 09-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm anxiously waiting as well. That was one of my biggest concerns with these exhausts regarding cabin drone. I love the the way ATLP looks but I've been really putting off the purchase for the reason of drone.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
j1n
Pro

Ok so i took it to the shop today and turns out they cant weld it cause its stainless steel. so i have to take it some where else to get it done.

i might be able to get it done tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
That part will not fit...the body is too big (6"). You need either part #10426 (18") or part #10426 (22"). I have a complete ATLP setup (J-Pipe, race-pipe, and the quads), and like others have mentioned, the drone was crazy. I lived it for 3 weeks....it did get better, but the drone was still noticeable between 2K-3K under normal acceleration. After consulting with STILLHERE153(<-knows his stuff), I went with a Magnaflow #10436 resonator. Now the cabin drone is COMPLETELY GONE!! The exhaust note at the outside is still the same sexy ATLP sound, and you can hear it from the inside but not that intrusive drone.
I tried that same Magnaflow resonator out, except in a smaller 18" body length, 24" OAL. It didn't do much at all to reduce the drone for my set-up, I could barely tell any difference. I have the ATLP quads w/ race pipe on a base 6 speed, so I don't have the J-pipe. I'm kinda skeptical it actually eliminated the drone, based on my experience with it.

I swapped the Magnaflow out for a Hushpower HP-2 muffler. The Hushpower muffler did minimize the drone, but still didn't completely eliminate. The exhaust note sounds really nice now. The only drone I hear now ( very minimal ), is only under certain RPM and engine load conditions.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Anyone have any experience with the Vibrant Ultra-quiet resonator? That was the first product Josh from Excelerateperformance recommended to cut the drone. I'm not sure if there would be any fitment issues, but we know the Magnaflow 4" round fits.

j1n - Sucks that you couldn't get that welded up. Good luck this week.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Ok guys, officially in this boat. I have passengers complaining everytime I'm cruising around 2200 rpm in any gear. That's 60 mph in 6th gear. Something has to be done.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

I don't know if this helps, but my set up is pretty quite above 45-50 mph cruising speed. I wish I didn't mess with the Magnaflow in the fist place. Seems like adding a high flow mid muffler is a better route than adding a true resonator. I guess the Magnaflow is more like a muffler or glass pack, since it does have packing material.

From a few threads I've read through, and clips, I think the ATLP drones less, or is more quite than the XLR8 equivalent. I'm sure it depends on the exact set-up, and model TL though.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by powerflow
I tried that same Magnaflow resonator out, except in a smaller 18" body length, 24" OAL. It didn't do much at all to reduce the drone for my set-up, I could barely tell any difference. I have the ATLP quads w/ race pipe on a base 6 speed, so I don't have the J-pipe. I'm kinda skeptical it actually eliminated the drone, based on my experience with it.

I swapped the Magnaflow out for a Hushpower HP-2 muffler. The Hushpower muffler did minimize the drone, but still didn't completely eliminate. The exhaust note sounds really nice now. The only drone I hear now ( very minimal ), is only under certain RPM and engine load conditions.
well the magnaflow is actually a muffler not a resonator. The legnth of it is 4" more then the one you tried, OAL is 28". it will definitly do something cause the one on the exhaust right now is so small i doubt it does anything. to the extent of how much drone it will decrease is questionable. when i get it on i will report back.

i did try to make a before vid of inside the cabin yesterday but the camera sucks with audio so the vid is crap.

looks like the shop is closed today. sucks cause i have off from work today and will probably have to wait till saturday to get it on now.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by gr8ness97
Ok guys, officially in this boat. I have passengers complaining everytime I'm cruising around 2200 rpm in any gear. That's 60 mph in 6th gear. Something has to be done.
lol yeah i know what you mean. i dont mind it at all when im by myself and bumpin my music. But when i have passengers and the music is down and im trying to have a conversation, its pretty bad.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Too many $$ toys

Originally Posted by j1n
Ok so i took it to the shop today and turns out they cant weld it cause its stainless steel. so i have to take it some where else to get it done.

i might be able to get it done tomorrow.
bring it here, and I will TIG it.

there is stainless stick rod, but it is very hard to go uphill and downhill.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Too many $$ toys

So far I am EXTREMELY happy with the 10436. It's definitely is not stock quiet, and you will hear your exhaust (that's the purpose of an aftermarket exhaust right? )...but NOT that crazy drone. I am running a supercharger as well...now I can hear both the whine and that nice growl.

is the 10436 2.5" O.D. or I.D. at the ends? thanks.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

The Magnaflow 10426 I have is 2.50" ID to slip fit with 2.50" OD tube.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

10436 => 2.5" inlet and outlet.

10436 is 22"...and the 10426 is 18"

Originally Posted by surlynkid
is the 10436 2.5" O.D. or I.D. at the ends? thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
So what's the verdict?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
So what's the verdict?
Verdict is you slap on an ATLP base exhaust with a resonator. Life is good.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
fyi to everyone... Michael Vast... from Vast Performance has the best price on all magnaflow products... amazon is overpriced...

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/vastperf...34Q2ec0Q2em322

I just got a magnaflow 2.5" muffler and resonator for under a buck
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I just got a magnaflow 2.5" muffler and resonator for under a buck
is right...wtf, under a buck!?!? thats pretty dope!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hey mike... can't reply on aim but looks like he doesn't have them listed cuz I bought em.... send em a pm on ebay

here's the resonator I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320417120907
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
j1n
Pro

Originally Posted by stillhere153
hey mike... can't reply on aim but looks like he doesn't have them listed cuz I bought em.... send em a pm on ebay

here's the resonator I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320417120907
what kind of muffler did you get? you said you got a muffler and res. also what kind of exhaust do you have?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by powerflow
The Magnaflow 10426 I have is 2.50" ID to slip fit with 2.50" OD tube.
Do all the Magnaflow mufflers have those pipe dimensions, one side being a larger diameter thatn the other (2.5 ID vs 2.5 OD)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
j1n
Pro

Do all the Magnaflow mufflers have those pipe dimensions, one side being a larger diameter thatn the other (2.5 ID vs 2.5 OD)
Negative. the one i got is both 2.5 ID.

Here are a few pics of the Magnaflow vs Stock res vs XLR8 Res. yeah there's a lot of room under my car cause i had the front jacked up... lol

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
j1n
Pro

btw since josh isnt responding to the cone question im just going to go ahead and try to get it on tomorrow or sometime this weekend....
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Instructor

I'm thinking the cone isn't what we want anyway. Sounds like it would restrict exhaust flow... Good luck j1n. It was good to see your pictures b/c I had never seen the OEM resonator. Mine came with a hacked off stage 4 exhaust. Based on that, I'm thinking this magnaflow muffler is gonna work. How do they compare on the inside? Perforated metal pipe with packing?

BTW: Are you neglecting your OEM Type-S wheels?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Verdict is you slap on an ATLP base exhaust with a resonator. Life is good.
^^^

wife approved!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys, i got my resonator cone. Its not overwhelming huge ( 2.5" long with a weld area OD of 2-5/16"). Im going to get it tack welded in on satruday. Its not mesh or some cheap stuff like that. I will post pics once i can.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ankur914
Guys, i got my resonator cone. Its not overwhelming huge ( 2.5" long with a weld area OD of 2-5/16"). Im going to get it tack welded in on satruday. Its not mesh or some cheap stuff like that. I will post pics once i can.
Is it the one from XLR8 that was supposed to come with the exhaust for those of u that got the resonated version?

Last edited by tihomirbg; 09-10-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: The Drone is unreal! Help!