Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
Sigh. I'm talking SERIOUS amounts of ignition retard. Like to the point where the car is making ~100whp and not drivable.

Of course you want to retard ignition timing under boost, but there's enough fuel that timing doesn't need to be retarded. Timing stays as if the car was still N/A. The traditional ESM (Comptech's MAP signal clamp) could only do this. It's a mute point though because the ACM is completely different.

Look, drowning out overadvanced ignition timing(stock N/A ignition timing) with "plenty of fuel" is not the proper way to do things....again. There would be no reason why the ECU would pull out that much ignition timing anyway, unless there was knock detected, which in this case, would probably be pre-ignition from overadvanced ignition timing.

Let's just get Comptech in here to discuss technical points about their ACM, because you are not understanding some key points here

CJ
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
If the MAP voltage increases beyond the maximum voltage programmed from the factory, in my case 2.93v the ECU will retard timing to prevent knock. The MAP signal clamp "hides" the boost from the motor.

I'm not sure why weren't even discussing the MAP signal clamp because the ACM is much more than a voltage clamp.

There's a thousand differences between the K-Series and the J-Series and the way the J-Series has been tuned in the past (at these boost levels) is with a MAP voltage clamp and a new FPR.

I understand the key points. I've been boosting this motor for over 2 years now. You're not understanding my posts.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Instructor

If the MAP voltage increases beyond the maximum voltage programmed from the factory, in my case 2.93v the ECU will retard timing to prevent knock. The MAP signal clamp "hides" the boost from the motor.

I'm not sure why weren't even discussing the MAP signal clamp because the ACM is much more than a voltage clamp.

There's a thousand differences between the K-Series and the J-Series and the way the J-Series has been tuned in the past (at these boost levels) is with a MAP voltage clamp and a new FPR.

I understand the key points. I've been boosting this motor for over 2 years now. You're not understanding my posts.
I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you......as there is no real point. I will tell you that i am a compotent tuner and my resume includes working with well known companies/tuners including Hondata. So, i don't have to prove anything to anybody, the proof is in the pudding as they say, if you cared to look into it further. So, you can continue to follow your beliefs and i will follow my experience. Good luck!!

CJ
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you......as there is no real point. I will tell you that i am a compotent tuner and my resume includes working with well known companies/tuners including Hondata. So, i don't have to prove anything to anybody, the proof is in the pudding as they say, if you cared to look into it further. So, you can continue to follow your beliefs and i will follow my experience. Good luck!!

CJ

No one questioned your knowledge yet you're so quick to defend your credentials

The FACT is, a complete programmable ECU isn't going to happen on the J-Series. The ECU hardware doesn't have the capability for the software to be re-written.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Instructor

No one questioned your knowledge yet you're so quick to defend your credentials
Actually, i only stated my credentials after you stated yours
"I understand the key points. I've been boosting this motor for over 2 years now. You're not understanding my posts"-mrsteve

The FACT is, a complete programmable ECU isn't going to happen on the J-Series. The ECU hardware doesn't have the capability for the software to be re-written.
I already explained this......Also, the J32A3 ECU is flashable...this all it needs to be re-written, as long as somebody is willing to reverse engineer it and write the software to re-program the ECU's flashable memory.

You say you have been boosting the J-series for over two years now, just curious....what form of forced induction?? Your profile says you have a comptech icebox intake.

CJ
Old 11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

I already explained this......Also, the J32A3 ECU is flashable...this all it needs to be re-written, as long as somebody is willing to reverse engineer it and write the software to re-program the ECU's flashable memory.
Of course it is "flashable" because it obviously was prgrammed in the first place But no one is going to invest that kind of money in a car that isn't the best platform to start with.

You say you have been boosting the J-series for over two years now, just curious....what form of forced induction?? Your profile says you have a comptech icebox intake.

CJ

I've had two Comptech supercharged CL-S's. Recently sold the supercharger off my 2nd CL-S because I'm buying a house and the horsepower was too much for daily driving. Spinning the wheels all the way through 3rd gear just wasn't worth it.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:37 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Apparently, the kit is not even going to include a cold air box. I was originally told it was going to include a carbon fiber one, and now no cold air box at all. Only heat shields. I will fabricate something on my own to make it breath cooler air.

VTEC will be engaged @ 4,000rpm which is pretty cool.

Only gained 5 more horses on the 6MT version. Interesting.

dan k....let us know when your kit arrives.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:45 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I just looked at the dyno graph.

One of the impressive notes about the gains is the kit produced 69 more foot lbs of torque at 2100 rpm.

Hell yeah i'm excited now!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
I just looked at the dyno graph.

One of the impressive notes about the gains is the kit produced 69 more foot lbs of torque at 2100 rpm.

Hell yeah i'm excited now!
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just the right amount of ooomph to throw you
back for added fun and take out some of these pricier competitor sedans. I'm not looking for 400 whp for this car but the only question is, supercharger or new sportbike? I do miss riding but am starting to catch a driver's bug since this is my first somewhat sporty car I have ever had, unless you want to call an older Pontiac GTP sporty. Maybe if I just forget about this thread, my feelings for the SC will just go away....
Old 11-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Instructor

team rsx,your correct,
but mrsteve,my good buddy,lol wont listen
your talking to a wall
i just gave up fighting with him or anybody here
let them figure it out the hard way
i got the old thread locked cause we went back and fourth so much it got ugly

love you all
Old 11-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Instructor

special-ed get a bike
my bike comes in to the dealer in two weeks
2006 cbr600rr
got to love employee discounts and honda financing

adding to my toys
2005 tl
2005 mdx
2005 crf 450x
2006 cbr600rr
1973 wife,
2004 son
all in perfect condition

and waiting for 2007 cobra with 475rwhp stock

good luck to all of you that plan on comptech supercharger
wish you the best of luck and enjoy
Old 11-22-2005, 06:33 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
So are they actually shipping units now or is this still pre-order? Impressive numbers.

D.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

Dennis the last I heard the kits were in production at Comptech; not shipping yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Gotcha. Hopefully it will be soon

D.

Dennis the last I heard the kits were in production at Comptech; not shipping yet.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Apparently, the kit is not even going to include a cold air box. I was originally told it was going to include a carbon fiber one, and now no cold air box at all. Only heat shields. I will fabricate something on my own to make it breath cooler air.

There's no room for a full air box, but it includes new intake plumbing, the heat shields, and a new filter. Of course you can fabricate something else, but with the air filter being relocated to within the fender it's doubtful you're going to pick up much colder air anywhere else. In a sense, the heat shields and the fender wall create an air box.

And people have been complaining about the cost of this kit since the first picture was posted; do you really think the addition of a carbon fiber air box would be a wise choice? It's under the hood anyways why would a carbon fiber box be needed. Eh...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we already have an AEM CAI, can that be used with the Comptech SC?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Banned

^ , the Comptech SC will come with a separate intake kit
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested in ordering this S/C kit check out this link: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...40#post1333640
Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zax123
If we already have an AEM CAI, can that be used with the Comptech SC?
someone with a 2nd gen actually had the SC linked up to their Injen Intake.
Should be easy. Just cut down the piping on the intake to accomodate the space that's being taken up by the SC I would think.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by special-ed
someone with a 2nd gen actually had the SC linked up to their Injen Intake.
Should be easy. Just cut down the piping on the intake to accomodate the space that's being taken up by the SC I would think.

The intake plumbing would need to be bent or a new elbow would need to be cut and welded. Without one or the other you can't just cut the Injen intake and have it fit.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Actually, i only stated my credentials after you stated yours
"I understand the key points. I've been boosting this motor for over 2 years now. You're not understanding my posts"-mrsteve

CJ
TeamXRSX,
So what do you think is causing Comptech so much grief which is delaying this SC kit release? From all the posts thus far it sounds like this kit is not much different than previous kits other than the ECU issue. I just don't understand that if it's been just a ECU issue why has it taken almost 24 months for Comptech to solve the ECU issue(s)? And, didn't Comptech hire out some expertise to help solve the ECU issues?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
TeamXRSX,
So what do you think is causing Comptech so much grief which is delaying this SC kit release? From all the posts thus far it sounds like this kit is not much different than previous kits other than the ECU issue. I just don't understand that if it's been just a ECU issue why has it taken almost 24 months for Comptech to solve the ECU issue(s)? And, didn't Comptech hire out some expertise to help solve the ECU issues?
Thats a good question, to be honest...i'm not really sure what the problem is/was. This kit is using the same blower as the older kits...the "ACM" is different than previous AFC's Comptech has used. I know the kit has been in development for quite awhile, but my sources have not commented on why it's taken them so long.

As for the expertise thing....i think comptech kept everything in house this time, not like the TSX and RSX SC project where Hondata's K-pro was mostly used.

CJ
Old 11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
TeamXRSX,

First, the kit is no longer "delayed." It's available. Order one.

Second, as I stated before, they were having development issues with their ACM or "black box" as it's also been called. They have had similar issues with this part of the kit on other cars, the '05+ RSX for instance before K-Pro was available.

Also, it was reported, on Club-RSX by Conrad I believe (who's been street testing the RSX S/C kit for quite some time now) that at least one Honda engineer was brought in specifically for the TL ECU issues. Also, CARB certification took 6 months which is longer than usual. But again, I've said this all before.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone ordered one? I was impressed with the 60 hp bump (with the exhaust) But that's still like 5500 bucks with a do it yourself install. So about 90.00 per each horse added. I had one on my 2g and what a difference it made. I guess i would be more concerned about potential drive train issues. I guess I will wait and see comments before I rush out to buy...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Just a quick queston.

Absolutely no warranties will be voided by putting this on, is this correct?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Another question,

Are we able to keep our AEM intake on or do we have to use comptechs in order for everything to fit right?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 AM
B A N N E D

There is a group buy available on these right now...do a search.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by becker800
Another question,

Are we able to keep our AEM intake on or do we have to use comptechs in order for everything to fit right?
You must use Comptech's or modify your AEM by cutting/welding/bending the AEM intake.

Originally Posted by becker800
Just a quick queston.

Absolutely no warranties will be voided by putting this on, is this correct?
Depends on the dealership you use. Call and ask first.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by A-Spec Guy
There is a group buy available on these right now...do a search.
who in the hell are you refering this to??
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Cruisin'

OK.....this is a MAP sensor clamp.....this is what is considered an AFC......AFC stands for Air Flow Converter....AKA MAP sensor clamp. It works by altering fuel by manipulating the MAP sensor voltage to the stock ECU. It needs to do this to run with larger injectors, otherwise the car would run far too rich. ... CJ
Our ACM does have a map sensor voltage clamp built into it but that's about where the similaritys to an AFC end.
The ACM does not manipulate MAP sensor voltage for the purpose of manipulating fuel.
mrsteve is right this is much more than an ESM.

-Nate
Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for responding Nate
Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for responding Nate
Anytime, just want to try and control some of the mis-information out there.

On a side note, these kits are scheduled to ship 12/15 but I expect most to leave before that.

-Nate
Old 11-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question: I've seen a supercharger on a previous gen TL or accord with a BOV. What's that about?
edit:
Old 11-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

There's no need for a BOV on a blower like this. The throttle body is before the blower. Once you let off the gas the bypass valve opens. There's no reason for a BOV... infact it won't even give off the "BOV sound" your used to hearing on turbo cars because the pressure will be equal at both sides of the valve since the bypass is open.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nate@Comptech
Our ACM does have a map sensor voltage clamp built into it but that's about where the similaritys to an AFC end.
The ACM does not manipulate MAP sensor voltage for the purpose of manipulating fuel.
mrsteve is right this is much more than an ESM.

-Nate
OK, so the MAP voltage clamp keeps MAP signal at no more than 3.00v......this is obviously to keep the ECU from not seeing the boost and not throwing a DTC(not because the ECU will retard ignition timing if the MAP signal goes over 3v like mrsteve said!!). It's pretty safe to say now that you are not using the MAP voltage clamp to alter fueling or to run larger injectors(because you are taking control over injector pulse width with the ACM)....i understand that now. But this brings another set of questions to mind.

You see, the old AFC(generally speaking) way of doing things (using a MAP voltage clamp to alter AFRs and run larger injectors) had a very bad side effect. Whenever you clamped the MAP voltage, you actually are telling the ECU to look up parts of the engine calibration that ignition timing is far too advanced for a forced induction engine at WOT....so, you had to rely on the knock sensor to retard ignition timing for you when the engine ran into pre-ignition from over advanced ignition timing......not very condusive to reliability and performance. So, with the new ACM, you eliminate this issue altogether, which is smart. BUT, what are you guys doing about retarding ignition timing now without taking complete control over ignition timing? Also, whats the reason you choose to "quiet" the knock sensor?

I stand corrected about your "ACM", but i do stand firmly on my grounds for asking questions as to what your ACM does. I also stand firm on the fact that leaving ignition timing in "stock" N/A values and drowning out the over advanced ignition timing with extra fuel is not the correct way to do things....unless you can prove me wrong again about how you tackle the ignition timing issue.

Also, what is the target AFR at WOT in boost you guys have the ACM shooting for?

CJ
Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nate@Comptech
Anytime, just want to try and control some of the mis-information out there.

On a side note, these kits are scheduled to ship 12/15 but I expect most to leave before that.

-Nate
Also, i would not call it mis-information....i call it keeping people honest!! I think it's apparent that i know what i am talking about....it's getting to the truth that takes time and sometimes, mistakes.

CJ
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

OK, so the MAP voltage clamp keeps MAP signal at no more than 3.00v......this is obviously to keep the ECU from not seeing the boost and not throwing a DTC(not because the ECU will retard ignition timing if the MAP signal goes over 3v like mrsteve said!!).
Sorry. But it does retard timing if you increase the MAP signal to high. I've done it. I increased the MAP voltatage to 2.95 and ran with a scan tool. As soon as I got remotely into boost timing was pulled dramatically. Don't know what else to tell you. No DTCs were stored. No CEL thrown.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

I stand corrected about your "ACM", but i do stand firmly on my grounds for asking questions as to what your ACM does. I also stand firm on the fact that leaving ignition timing in "stock" N/A values and drowning out the over advanced ignition timing with extra fuel is not the correct way to do things....unless you can prove me wrong again about how you tackle the ignition timing issue.

Also, what is the target AFR at WOT in boost you guys have the ACM shooting for?

CJ

1st) It was previously published that the ACM will have control over ignition timing. The old system used an increase in fuel pressure to get over the stock ignition timing hurdle. That isn't an issue here.

2nd) A "target" AFR isn't relevant. This isn't a custom tuned ACM for each individual car. I'm going to run a different AFR in July than I am in December. And someone one the west coast will run different than someone on the east coast.

However, experience has shown that around 12.0:1 is ideal for the J32A2. My automatic CL-S showed around 11.1:1 around 5000rpm and leaned out to around 12.1:1 at redline.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

Sorry. But it does retard timing if you increase the MAP signal to high. I've done it. I increased the MAP voltatage to 2.95 and ran with a scan tool. As soon as I got remotely into boost timing was pulled dramatically. Don't know what else to tell you. No DTCs were stored. No CEL thrown.

To add to this, the lower the ESM signal the more timing you get (the more power you get, to an extent)
Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Instructor

ignition timing was probably being pulled out due to a pre-ignition event(knock heard from the knock sensor) from the over advanced ingition timing due to the fact that you were using an AFC.

CJ

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.