Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.

OK guys and gals. Lets get some real discussion and accurate info going for the Comptech Supercharger.

Whenever it comes out who plans to get it?

Who had detailed pics of it installed?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Thanks to I-MOD for starting the thread. All I ask is that you stay on topic. I will not mind some good debates, just try to not go off the beaten path. I would like to say one thing. There are people who already have first hand experience with supercharging Acura's. Off the top of my head I would say Mr. Steve and Smitty. Ive been reading Mr. Steves posts over a year now and I must say that if theres anything Ive learned, its that I dont know jack about superchargers and he does. So give them that respect. Thanks......
Old 11-07-2005, 09:55 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Here is one fact:

The UA6 supercharger kit will not include a carbon fiber airbox.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Good, no need to drive the cost up

D.

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Here is one fact:

The UA6 supercharger kit will not include a carbon fiber airbox.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it seems that the supercharger is the same flagship design of the cl's. long shaft, polished head, whoa thats too explicit.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
tehLEGOman

According to Ryan at Comptech,

1)Both the 5AT and 6MT models put down the same hp gains.
2)Under normal driving conditions, the TL will feel non boosted. Only under WOT will the TL feel different.
3)Around 5,000 rpm the whine from the supercharger can be heard.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:43 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

So power won't come in until 5K?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power does not come until 5000 RPM is a bit hard to believe for me. The supercharger takes power to drive the compressor directly from the engine. Which usually means no lag, and boost is always available, no matter what. Unlike a turbo, you have to wait until the engine starts to produce enough exhaust gas to spin up the turbo to give you some boost.
So according to how all supercharges work; A supercharger is similar to a turbo but the supercharger is powered by gearing, and belt/chain-drive from the engine’s crankshaft while the turbo is mainly by exhaust gases driving a turbine. Unlike a Turbo, which uses wasted heat energy (the exhaust gases), the supercharger uses power from the crankbut being mechanically-driven, it can react more quickly to start-up or low-speed acceleration. (So when Ryan of Comptech says it will produce only at 5000RPM is a bit skeptical to me.) If Supercharging your car makes more power by forcing more air into your engine, then your vehicle should gain at every gear instead of at a high RPM such as how V-TEC works.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder what the dyno sheet looks like, and where the powerband is.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
tehLEGOman

Originally Posted by z06girl
Power does not come until 5000 RPM is a bit hard to believe for me. The supercharger takes power to drive the compressor directly from the engine. Which usually means no lag, and boost is always available, no matter what. Unlike a turbo, you have to wait until the engine starts to produce enough exhaust gas to spin up the turbo to give you some boost.
So according to how all supercharges work; A supercharger is similar to a turbo but the supercharger is powered by gearing, and belt/chain-drive from the engine’s crankshaft while the turbo is mainly by exhaust gases driving a turbine. Unlike a Turbo, which uses wasted heat energy (the exhaust gases), the supercharger uses power from the crankbut being mechanically-driven, it can react more quickly to start-up or low-speed acceleration. (So when Ryan of Comptech says it will produce only at 5000RPM is a bit skeptical to me.) If Supercharging your car makes more power by forcing more air into your engine, then your vehicle should gain at every gear instead of at a high RPM such as how V-TEC works.

I believe you might have misinterpreted the 3rd fact i had listed in that post. The statement was simply commenting on the notorious "whine" being produced underneath the hood. No comment was made about the amount of power being produced. Once you get higher into the powerband will you be able to actually hear the supercharger.

I am willing to bet at that rpm the kit will be adding 45whp.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Originally Posted by 2_fasttls
So, for those who ordered you should have received it by now, that is of course it actually started shipping on Nov 1 as some have posted here.

So, who got the SC?
They said "In November" not "November 1st"
Oh, let me guess. When Comptech said "November" they really meant "December" but will ship November 30th, so in essence they do the same thing gas stations do "$2.49 and 9/10's cent per gallon", might as well just say $2.50 per!

For most other trustworthy companies, if it's October and they say, "we start shipping in November" that usually means November 1st.

It's just sickening to keep hearing what Comptech can't deliver on.

So when in November do they start shipping units?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

Actually, the correct shipment date is December 15th. Even though they mentioned October 2005, the shipment is actually Mid December 2005 and on top of that, their website www.comptechusa.com doesn't even have an update.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets say I ordered the comptech supercharger.. what else would benefit this upgrade? bigger fuel injectors, intercooler, etc? Im trying to find a list of what can be done in order to improve the supercharger addition. Nothing crazy like engine rework as thats a whole different league.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no experience with superchargers, the 3rd gen TL is the first car I have ever wanted to modify... Just curious, is there some sort of online explanation to benefits/drawbacks of superchargers? Specifically would like to know more about how they add power, and also what potential damage they cause over time.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by invincible569
Lets say I ordered the comptech supercharger.. what else would benefit this upgrade? bigger fuel injectors, intercooler, etc? Im trying to find a list of what can be done in order to improve the supercharger addition. Nothing crazy like engine rework as thats a whole different league.
I am not sure if a lower pulley comes with the kit, but I am assuming that it does. (That could be a dangerous move on this board ) The larger the lower pulley is, will create more boost wich translates to HP and torque. If they are going to make smaller pulleys for the snout, that will let the S/C spool up quicker. as for other mods, do they make larger injections and throttle bodies?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by E-luzion
I am not sure if a lower pulley comes with the kit, but I am assuming that it does. (That could be a dangerous move on this board ) The larger the lower pulley is, will create more boost wich translates to HP and torque. If they are going to make smaller pulleys for the snout, that will let the S/C spool up quicker. as for other mods, do they make larger injections and throttle bodies?
Thanks illusion. But I am actually looking for addons that will make the S/C more effective rather than bringing the boost up to scary levels. The throttle body is another good idea. Hopefully that made sense.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:13 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Just to clairify, I'm sure you mean smaller pulley not lower.
The best thing we could ever hope for to add to the setup would be a Hondata ECU reflash or setup like the K-Series has such as K-Pro. Without those important tuning tools your pretty much stuck with the as is kit. I talked with Hondata on this before and they don't have any plans to develop a program for our motors. Kinda sucks.

D.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I-MOD
Just to clairify, I'm sure you mean smaller pulley not lower.
The best thing we could ever hope for to add to the setup would be a Hondata ECU reflash or setup like the K-Series has such as K-Pro. Without those important tuning tools your pretty much stuck with the as is kit. I talked with Hondata on this before and they don't have any plans to develop a program for our motors. Kinda sucks.

D.

I-Mod, In some applications you have a snout pulley and a crank pulley. I wasn't sure if the Kit came 2 pulleys, upper and lower or just the upper

I-Mod, what about a generic chip company, along the lines of a company like Superchips or Hypertech just as an example? Granted the company will have to make chips for imports, I am just not familar with import chip makers.

What some entrprenuers (sp) might want to think about is creating a belt tensioner to reduce belt slippage. Basically fabricate and cut a piece of aluminum and mount an idle pulley to press the belt more around the snout pulley.. Just an idea...

I would love to test drive a TL that actually has the S/C installed.. I miss the the whine from my S/C on my Lightning!!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
Oh, let me guess. When Comptech said "November" they really meant "December" but will ship November 30th, so in essence they do the same thing gas stations do "$2.49 and 9/10's cent per gallon", might as well just say $2.50 per!

For most other trustworthy companies, if it's October and they say, "we start shipping in November" that usually means November 1st.

It's just sickening to keep hearing what Comptech can't deliver on.

So when in November do they start shipping units?
You aren't interested in purchasing a 3rd Gen TL supercharger kit. You've made that painfully obvious in the first thread. So what do you care, other than just fuel for your anti-Comptech fire, when it ships out?

Move along, we covered all of your rants in the previous thread. Let's keep this one on the facts of the kit and not on shipping estimates/delays/etc.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

I-Mod, In some applications you have a snout pulley and a crank pulley. I wasn't sure if the Kit came 2 pulleys, upper and lower or just the upper

I-Mod, what about a generic chip company, along the lines of a company like Superchips or Hypertech just as an example? Granted the company will have to make chips for imports, I am just not familar with import chip makers.

What some entrprenuers (sp) might want to think about is creating a belt tensioner to reduce belt slippage. Basically fabricate and cut a piece of aluminum and mount an idle pulley to press the belt more around the snout pulley.. Just an idea...

I would love to test drive a TL that actually has the S/C installed.. I miss the the whine from my S/C on my Lightning!!!!!

The ACM that comes with the kit will be somewhat like a "re-flash" but not quite. It's somewhat like a "piggy-back module" but not quite. The ACM will be able to adjust injector pulse width, MAP voltage, VTEC engagement, and ignition timing. These things are all adjustable, just not by the end-user.

So if Comptech were to provide an "upgrade" to the base kit the ACM would most likely need to be reprogrammed. However, they never previously officially released an upgrade for the 2nd Gen CL/TL/Accord kit so don't expect much more than what you get. However, if you wanted a custom pulley made that could be done for around $150.

I would assume that the blower will be run in the same fashion as the previous kit which requires a new alternator pulley. Doubtful it will run directly off the crank because there isn't a lot of room for an additional belt to be run all the way down there. Also, the shorter the belt the less you need to worry about the belt slipping.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

And on this platform you do not want more than an additional 60-70whp. Anything else is going to roast the tires. Believe me
Old 11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I do have a question. With the torque steer being such a problem on the 04 and up with that much added hp does it make it even harder to handle?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:16 PM

The ACM that comes with the kit will be somewhat like a "re-flash" but not quite. It's somewhat like a "piggy-back module" but not quite. The ACM will be able to adjust injector pulse width, MAP voltage, VTEC engagement, and ignition timing. These things are all adjustable, just not by the end-user.

So if Comptech were to provide an "upgrade" to the base kit the ACM would most likely need to be reprogrammed. However, they never previously officially released an upgrade for the 2nd Gen CL/TL/Accord kit so don't expect much more than what you get. However, if you wanted a custom pulley made that could be done for around $150.

I would assume that the blower will be run in the same fashion as the previous kit which requires a new alternator pulley. Doubtful it will run directly off the crank because there isn't a lot of room for an additional belt to be run all the way down there. Also, the shorter the belt the less you need to worry about the belt slipping.
Great info! I always wondered if it was just a slap on S/C and this is an argument against using NOS. A simple NOS system doesnt give you the ACM advantages this kit comes with which in my eyes is safer because of the balanced items you mentioned.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by trancemission
I do have a question. With the torque steer being such a problem on the 04 and up with that much added hp does it make it even harder to handle?

Yes most definitely. I believe the wider wheel/tire combo on the 3rd Gen caused the huge increase in torque steer over the 2nd Gen which has virtually none unless you're on uneven roads.

From a dead stop I could nail the gas and not have to worry about holding the car to a straight line (that is, if I had traction )
Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced

mrsteve, did you notice any battery charging issues when you changed the alternator pulley?

As to the torque steer, would upgrading the front tortion bar, control arms and bushings help??? How much more torque steer are we talking about.. roughly?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

The alternator pulley diameter stays the same, but the design changes. It is now a 2-belt pulley. One belt going from the crank to the alternator and another belt from the alternator to the jack shaft for the blower as seen here:

As for speculating on torque-steer I really can't say. The differences in the two platforms and the differences in the power increases really prevent me from giving anything close to a n educated guess.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Racer

If a custom smaller pulley was made and installed would adding a BTM to the system sufice rather than jumping through the hoops to get the original ACM reprogramed? SAFC?

Is the ACM anything like a FMU?

BTW, is this a roots s/c?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

A "BTM" excuse my ignorance I don't know what you are refering to.

The SAFC will do nothing for this setup.

The kit also includes a FMU, aka rising rate fuel pressure regulator.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Racer

Boost Timing Master (BTM), by MSD Ignitions.
This component will allow you to run more advanced timing in the lower rev ranges while retarding the ignition timing in boost conditions. For higher boost, the additional oxygen being forced into the engine will speed up the flame front. This, in turn, will require the timing to be retarded from its normal position to compensate for the faster burn time of the fuel mix.

-jackson racing PDF
Old 11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

The ACM will control timing.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:59 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

I personally don't see the "Huge" torque steer everyone complains about with my 6 speed. Maybe it's the addition of the LSD on my model but I just don't think the steer is bad at all. I'm sure with the charger it would be more evident but I can't see it being that bad.

Originally Posted by trancemission
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced

You aren't interested in purchasing a 3rd Gen TL supercharger kit. You've made that painfully obvious in the first thread. So what do you care, other than just fuel for your anti-Comptech fire, when it ships out?

Move along, we covered all of your rants in the previous thread. Let's keep this one on the facts of the kit and not on shipping estimates/delays/etc.
mrsteve,
You are correct, I am not interested in buying the silly SC from Comptech. However, not everyone reading this thread knows the full story about the SC from Comptech, so I am informing them over all the crud you keep feeding them.

There are no "facts" because the darn thing has not yet shipped, and we certainly should not not rely on heresay about #'s and how it gets installed, etc. Heck, Comptech does not even list it on their website, so for 99.999% of us Comptech does not even have a SC for the 2004-2006 TL.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

These comptech official threads are getting redundent.

They've taken so long, at least by their promises, to get their products out, it's too bad.

I know that the latest email from them (a handful of weeks ago or so) stated that the SC would be available mid-late october and the icebox would follow shortly there after. (Beginning of new year)

They should focus on finishing the product and not on giving poor information. I've withheld getting the aem intake because I'd rather have the icebox, however if I knew it wouldnt be until next august, I'd say screw it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Team Owner

mrsteve,
You are correct, I am not interested in buying the silly SC from Comptech. However, not everyone reading this thread knows the full story about the SC from Comptech, so I am informing them over all the crud you keep feeding them.

There are no "facts" because the darn thing has not yet shipped, and we certainly should not not rely on heresay about #'s and how it gets installed, etc. Heck, Comptech does not even list it on their website, so for 99.999% of us Comptech does not even have a SC for the 2004-2006 TL.

You're right. The entire Comptech Supercharger for the 3rd Gen TL does not exist. It's a complete myth because it isn't on their website.

I'm not feeding anyone "crud." Again, lets keep this thread strictly about the Comptech kit's details and install tips/instructions. Since the kit has not shipped yet there isn't much to talk about yet but this thread should remain open in the meantime. Now please, since you have no knowledge of the kit, nor are you interested in purchasing one, please spend your time elsewhere. It's a large site, I'm sure you can find somewhere else to play. In fact create your own anti-Comptech thread for all I care. Lets just keep it out of here.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TCMS
These comptech official threads are getting redundent.

They've taken so long, at least by their promises, to get their products out, it's too bad.

I know that the latest email from them (a handful of weeks ago or so) stated that the SC would be available mid-late october and the icebox would follow shortly there after. (Beginning of new year)

They should focus on finishing the product and not on giving poor information. I've withheld getting the aem intake because I'd rather have the icebox, however if I knew it wouldnt be until next august, I'd say screw it.

Who said anything about next August? Let us be fair here guys. CARB approval took 6 months on this kit. It's my understanding that this is much longer than normal.

And again, as I stated in the past, the vibe around here regarding this kit hasn't exactly been positive. Why should Comptech push the TL kit to the forefront of their priorities when RSX and NSX customers are eagerly awaiting new kits and upgrades?

Be happy a modification of this caliber is even being produced by Comptech. No one else is going to do it.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

lets keep this thread strictly about the Comptech kit's details and install tips/instructions.
took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

You are correct, I am not interested in buying the silly SC from Comptech.
then I see no reason for you to even post in this thread..

leave it to the people that have an interest in purchasing the Comptech SC when it becomes available, thank you...
Old 11-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Banned

Who said anything about next August? Let us be fair here guys. CARB approval took 6 months on this kit. It's my understanding that this is much longer than normal.

And again, as I stated in the past, the vibe around here regarding this kit hasn't exactly been positive. Why should Comptech push the TL kit to the forefront of their priorities when RSX and NSX customers are eagerly awaiting new kits and upgrades?

Be happy a modification of this caliber is even being produced by Comptech. No one else is going to do it.
I didnt say august as a serious date, it's a suggestion about not wanting to wait after each 'deadline' is breached.

As for the kit, I agree that if they dont think they'll get customers they shouldnt do it. However the performance section on this site is so small they better not be gauging public sentiment heavily by acurazine.

Im the 'customer' that will wait to see the actual performance, make sure there are no detrimental problems, and then consider slapping another 60 whp to my TL. Im unwilling to say I'll do it for sure, simply because there is nothing there to see, yet.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TCMS
I didnt say august as a serious date, it's a suggestion about not wanting to wait after each 'deadline' is breached.
I know

As for the kit, I agree that if they dont think they'll get customers they shouldnt do it. However the performance section on this site is so small they better not be gauging public sentiment heavily by acurazine.
Of course this forum isn't their only target audience, but it would be foolish to think Comptech didn't browse these forums. Nate has been known to post from time to time. Not lately though.

Im the 'customer' that will wait to see the actual performance, make sure there are no detrimental problems, and then consider slapping another 60 whp to my TL. Im unwilling to say I'll do it for sure, simply because there is nothing there to see, yet.
Nothing wrong with that
Old 11-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Car Addict

If this kit adds a lot of power, and the stock injectors don't have much room to grow, then you will need bigger injectors. My guess is that this kit would include bigger injectors and a reflash program to recal your pcm to get the injectors to idle properly, and to tune the combo.

Might need to hotwire the fuel pump, or go bigger. I'm sure a 2003 CL or TL guy would be a useful source on how their kits work, this one would be marginally diferrent unless the 2004-2005 has some big change.

Quick Reply: Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.