Comptech 3rd gen supercharger picture!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
That depends on the dealer. Some will take care of it, others will pass the buck.
Maybe so...but if it's installed by the dealer (which i see most dealers push comtech items) it will be under warranty.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Do you have NOS ? Dry or wet ?
only on my 76' TA, two fogger nozzles (wet system) with a button right on my steering wheel.

as i have seen on a friends' camaro, he has the NoS entering aft of the air filter but before MAS. he then swapped out oem injectors with larger ones and when NoS kicks on his injectors go WOT feeding the extra fuel needed.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you have to keep refilling the NOS, the supercharger you don't
Old 10-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro

is this on a 04TL?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
i souport publik edekason

Originally Posted by andytran
is this on a 04TL?
yes...

due out by the end of this year / beginning of next...

I will most likely end up with this as my main mod...

Salut
Ciao
Old 10-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn. I have to start saving up money for this thing.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I want the s/c, and I will do it.

I love it how people freak out when someone says they want to supercharge their FWD car .. it's a rather, un-though-out reaction to the topic of s/c's.

Clearly, if I had the same low-end torque in my TL as my Nissan Maxima 3.5SE has, I would not even consider the s/c for the TL. However, this TL is seriously (in the 5AT trim) boring under 4000rpms.. and since I NORMALLY drive under 4000 rpms, i would love to invest in a product that would make those first 4k rpms MORE FUN. That does NOT mean I want to floor it to 120mph every stoplight, nor does it mean I want to burnout at every stoplight. It means I want more "oomph" w/ passing, more gusto in the low-end department, and frankly, a more broad, flat torque curve.

For those who wouldn't purchase the s/c .. congrats on your decision. For those that are thinking about it or are sure they will invest in it, I can't wait to talk shop w/ you guys/gals when this thing is officially released.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
NOS vs. S/C:

In addition to the good points made above, w/ the s/c, you have more power across the powerband, whether you're at WOT or not. W/ NOS, I believe you only get your power when you're at WOT.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Car Addict

Kit looks very interesting!

I have a Vortech YSi Trim on my Formula, it's had nitrous too.

I have the battery relo'd on my Formula. It's not that bad.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Cruisin'

I'd go for one. I have a J/R SC in my 95' Integra GSR and I dig it! Even w/ a peg leg and crazy ass torque steer. It smokes!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:30 AM
Banned

got the pic from comptech site
Old 10-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MOMOTL
Battery can go in the rear trunk just like most Beamers!!!!
You mean Bimmers - Beamers are the bikes.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The length of the drive shaft from left to right makes me nervous - it had better be rigid or you will be chewing up belts all the time.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:29 AM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by spyfish007
I would put the covers back on to make it look more "sleeperish". Otherwise - oh yeah
hahaha... sorry, but that little battery cover is not hiding that thing...
Old 10-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Car Addict

If the kit is supposed to do 5-7 psi it should not have belt problems.

My Formula's setup has seen 17psi on the dyno but only like 14psi at the track since we've been fighting belt slippage forever.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

Guys, tell me it if I'm wrong. When you realy need a SC?

Well, when I decided to purchase a car the TL was one of my options. Gas milage, V6, Luxiry etc.... POWER / QUICK AND FAST. RELIABLE & WARANTY

I droved and rented multiple cars, but I decided to be Acura family this time. I'm own a 05 TL, Im still doing the breaking of the motor. So far I did not go higher than 4k RPM, when I try to increase acelaration or starting quick and fast is the only time past 3k rpm. When I m in the Hway, don't past 2.5k or max 3k about 80 or max 100 mph. The car goes very quick and I pass a lot cars. Then I slow down because I may find another car that can't see how quick Im going.

Well, my question is: If I have a SC then when it is ready working? or I'm really using it . Because the real power will be arround 6k RPM. I only push the car to 120 MPH once and the OIL life when from 100% to 90%. If I use the SC, I will short the live of the motor or I have to do more frequently oil change.

I check a chart comparinson with SC and the increase on low RPM is minimal. If the SC increase torque at LOW RPM, then I may get one....

Any sugestion.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Shift_faster

An SC is on tap all the time. There is no spool up time like there is for a turbo, or a set rpm to activate like NOS (NOS can also be set up to activate at a driver's discretion). So a supercharger "should" increase torque at lower rpms.

I'm interested to know what chart comparisons you are looking at. Is this for a stock TL vs. a SC'ed TL?

I am considering it because I also bought the TL for its blend of luxury & sport. It just turns out, I want a little bit more sport. I don't believe that 60-70 hp will make the TL undriveable, it will just make it a lot more fun. Of course the two obstacles for me are:
1. Cost
2. Warranty issues (depending on the dealer/installer).

If it is a reliable unit, the engine should last a long time, with no real ill-effects. I'm of course assuming it is a reliable unit...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MisterLawyer
Gotta get a new tranny though, making the charger upgrade even mooore expensive.

I would get one if it were cheap enough, but not until my 50,000 miles are up.

For the combined cost... I would rather get a 2000 BMW M3 as a spare toy.

You might as well get an Enzo as a "spare toy", there are more of them for sale. Kidding aside there was no 2000 M3, there is usually a one year break without an M in a particular lineup, the 99 was the E36 and the 2001 was the E46. No 2000s. I assume you were refering to a E36 since the 2001 E46s, unless they are really trashed, are about the same price as a new TL.

Vandy
Old 10-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
An SC is on tap all the time. There is no spool up time like there is for a turbo, or a set rpm to activate like NOS (NOS can also be set up to activate at a driver's discretion). So a supercharger "should" increase torque at lower rpms.

I'm interested to know what chart comparisons you are looking at. Is this for a stock TL vs. a SC'ed TL?

I am considering it because I also bought the TL for its blend of luxury & sport. It just turns out, I want a little bit more sport. I don't believe that 60-70 hp will make the TL undriveable, it will just make it a lot more fun. Of course the two obstacles for me are:
1. Cost
2. Warranty issues (depending on the dealer/installer).

If it is a reliable unit, the engine should last a long time, with no real ill-effects. I'm of course assuming it is a reliable unit...

Old 10-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Racer

im probably not Sc'in because its useless 4 me in LIE traffic and gas prices are crazy high i dont need this type of expense srry. Plus i like more lux than sport.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
If the kit is supposed to do 5-7 psi it should not have belt problems.

My Formula's setup has seen 17psi on the dyno but only like 14psi at the track since we've been fighting belt slippage forever.

Yes but in the formula setup the belt is usually connected directly to the head unit on a pulley. In this setup it looks like, becuase of space concerns, they have to mount the S/C on the otherside of the engine compartment and using a long shaft to connect it to the belt sytem. I too would be concerned about the forces put on that shaft and it's ability to resist flexing. With that said I thinkI may still get it.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blufox
im probably not Sc'in because its useless 4 me in LIE traffic and gas prices are crazy high i dont need this type of expense srry. Plus i like more lux than sport.
NoS it, inexpensive and easy.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tizo
hahaha... sorry, but that little battery cover is not hiding that thing...
Well true ... most of the covers make it look cleaner and I know many people that couldn't tell a SC from a hole in the ground. That includes people who "know" about cars ...
Old 10-31-2004, 11:10 PM
Car Addict

I have seen belt setups like that Comptech one work no problem.

Most of the time a supercharger might be in vacuum unless you get on it. Then it will go into boosting the engine. Having another 75fwhp would be nice you can never have too much power.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:02 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Is there anything tunable about a SC?
Any kind of computer management for it? (thinking SAFC, VAFC, etc...)
Would it be possible to increase/decrease the boost?

I have a good understanding of SCs and know how they work, but have never had any hands on.

Hopefully, this SC kit will come with an intake and a battery relocation kit.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ITL
Is there anything tunable about a SC?
Any kind of computer management for it? (thinking SAFC, VAFC, etc...)
Would it be possible to increase/decrease the boost?

I have a good understanding of SCs and know how they work, but have never had any hands on.
you could install a waste gate of some sort, but the SC's are usually aft of the MAS or aft of a carb, so dropping out some of the air will confuse the MAS sensor, or you'll be dropping out explosive fuel (carb setup).

i would opt (if i could) to also include a intercooler under the SC exit, but i don't think that's possible for TL.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I have seen belt setups like that Comptech one work no problem.

Most of the time a supercharger might be in vacuum unless you get on it. Then it will go into boosting the engine. Having another 75fwhp would be nice you can never have too much power.
SC's are full-time positive air pumps (all rpms). maybe you mean turbo units? can you please explain more.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Why wait till after the warranty was up? Acura still covers it if it's by Comptech, atleast my dealer does anyway.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Hi PoochaKann & TheOne305

I'm not expert on motors or tune up for "HighPower (HP)" diferent definition for horse power (hp).
But my understanding is that Acura/Honda develop or redisign the 3.2 TL motor with more hp and HP. How they did it? High performance motor parts, etc.. I don't know....

But I don't have the specs, I don't know how to change or where to increase power with out damage the motor.
That is why Comptech still on develop....?????. Right

So I compare with previous Dyno test:

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/cldyno.html

Now you may want to explain me the chart .. Very welcome your experience.... Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:17 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
Why wait till after the warranty was up? Acura still covers it if it's by Comptech, atleast my dealer does anyway.
Type S can you offer any insight into the performance improvement with the SC installed? I am not looking for top end, just more power (torque) on the low to mid level. Do you feel the SC offered this? Were there any downsides to installing this part (fuel mileage etc). Did the installation cause any issues with the sound of the car at idle and at speed (I have heard a SC'd g35 and it was burping all over the place sounded awful)?

If you had the option to do it over again, would you purchase the SC again (say for a 2004)?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Team NightHawk VP

there was another picture in modified mag, i forgot what issue it was but it had a blue evo on the cover and in big bold letters it said FORCE FED
Old 11-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

Battery is underneath the S/C, far right side

It's a 51R battery, a very small one, just like on the 2nd gen TL/CL
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by JorgeTL05 A-Spec
Hi PoochaKann & TheOne305

I'm not expert on motors or tune up for "HighPower (HP)" diferent definition for horse power (hp).
But my understanding is that Acura/Honda develop or redisign the 3.2 TL motor with more hp and HP. How they did it? High performance motor parts, etc.. I don't know....

But I don't have the specs, I don't know how to change or where to increase power with out damage the motor.
That is why Comptech still on develop....?????. Right

So I compare with previous Dyno test:

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/cldyno.html

Now you may want to explain me the chart .. Very welcome your experience.... Thanks.
The 04 and up TL's J32 engine has been massaged by Honda to have about 10 more hp and I believe 8 more lb/ft of torque than the 03 Type S engine. These gains were made mostly from a less restrictive intake (the 04+ TL intakes have some semblance to a cold air intake), and a freer flowing exhaust.

The basic bolt-on modifications currently available are intake, exhaust, and suspension mods. On to the Comptech SC. I'm looking at the chart for the CLS six speed dyno. If you look at the table on the left hand side, you see that even at 1800 rpms it is making about 30 more lb/ft of torque than a CLS with just headers. To me, that is a noticeable change. The increases keep ramping up until its peak at 5000 rpms when it is making close to 65 lb/ft of torque more than a CLS with headers.

You will not see this kind of "cheap" power gains from any other power adder other than forced induction (i.e. supercharger/turbo) or NOS. Intake, exhaust will only net you around 15-18 hp if you are lucky. And the power is only in the higher rpm ranges.

There are lots of thread about intakes, and a few about exhausts, if you search the forums. The Comptech supercharger will probably be out early 05 sometime.

NSXNext: I don't see the battery, but I'm going to keep looking. If you saw it, good eyes buddy!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Type S can you offer any insight into the performance improvement with the SC installed? I am not looking for top end, just more power (torque) on the low to mid level. Do you feel the SC offered this? Were there any downsides to installing this part (fuel mileage etc). Did the installation cause any issues with the sound of the car at idle and at speed (I have heard a SC'd g35 and it was burping all over the place sounded awful)?

If you had the option to do it over again, would you purchase the SC again (say for a 2004)?

Thanks in advance!!
Nodoze2004. As stated earlier the battery is 51R that is normally used for the Integra/RSX. It is very small and will be a pain to get to once installed under the blower. But then again it's not often you have to replace a battery. Anyway, with the SC you are getting awesome power gains throughout the whole powerband. Some will say for $4k it's not worth it. But it depends on how deep your pockets are and personal choice. My pockets aren't deep but I spent $4k on an engine swap for my Civic so I just have a natural love for mods. Anyway, back to the point when I got the CT Header installed I felt the most power gains at higher rpms, 4 and upward and especially once VTEC engaged I could really feel the car open up. But the SC was that feeling all the time. I loved it. Even more so when you really stepped on it. Your looking for torque on the low to mid range but your going to get it throughout. Spinning the front wheels was fun at first but when your racing someone you can lose a lot of ground waiting for them to hook up(I still had the horrible Michelin's on). But once they did it was insane. Fuel mileage sucked I will admit but it's to be expected. It's kind of like trying to put a turbo on a Honda Insight and still expect it to get the 70 or so miles to the gallon. You can't have both. I filled up every 3 days when I first got it installed because I was always getting on it just for the heck of it. I was always out lurking for a race. But as I got use to it, it wasn't nearly as bad. I filled up like normal before the install maybe a day earlier than I did w/o the SC. I just learned to pick my runs wisely. As with almost any mod, you will burn more fuel.

The main thing I would change about the whole deal is I would have let the dealer do the install. At that time I was being extremely stingy and didn't want to pay an extra $1k for them to do the install. I went to Velocity Resources who were awesome but being 3 hours away wasn't the greatest. So when my tranny went the dealer didn't want to touch the blower (because they didn't do the install) which they said had to be removed in order to replace the tranny. So I had to take it to another performance shop here who had never touched an SC'd car and let them take it off. It was the biggest pain. That's the only thing I would do differently. Oh, and not have gotten a $300+ticket street racing putting other peoples lives at risk due to my stupidity. I would have saved it for the track. Will I SC my new 05/06 TL 6sp.? YES!!! Once I sold the SC I said I'd never do it again because of guilt. This time I'm going to take the time out to hit the track to cut lose and not the streets. To anyone considering the SC, talk with your dealer before hand, let them do the install if they're a little funny about it. If they are cool(some aren't) then go for it. You won't regret you did.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004

Thanks in advance!!
Sorry for the repost.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:15 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You guys should really do some searching from the 2nd gen forum and the CL board. Lots of people have SC'd their TL/CL's with decent success. Comptech IMO makes a pretty decent kit, that will cut about 5-7 tenths off your 1/4 mile, and improved low end tq. A turbo kit will not do that, and the positive displacement SC that Comptech uses (actually an Eaton M62 unti, similar in design to the unit on the GTP) is very reliable, if not particularly ultra efficient.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:44 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by jtkz13
...the positive displacement SC that Comptech uses (actually an Eaton M62 unti, similar in design to the unit on the GTP) is very reliable, if not particularly ultra efficient.
this is good to know!

Thanks for the advice...will check out the CL forums.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

I have very limited info so far since this is still under development.
The battery is changed to a 51R type and relocated under the blower unit.
This is the same setup we use in the 02-03 TL-S kit and is a simple bracket and hold down change (which we supply).
This kit should work with the factory cover parts that everyone keeps referring to. We just did not have those parts available to us at the time of this picture.
We will update the "Under Development" section when we have more information, and I will post back onto this board when I have info regarding gains, pricing or release dates.
I hope this helps a little....if just to let everyone know that we are feverishly working on this.

-Nate
Old 11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Awesome, Nate...You don't know how much we appreciate your feedback.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the respond Poochakann. I notice the different on torque on low RPM.

Hi Nate: There some confusion if Supercharge improve gas milage or not. If I gain extra torque on low RPM, that mean I have more power when I going Up hill. That mean I can go up with power with out increase RPM. That will save me gas ????

But some drivers when they get the SC, they really want to feel the different, so the squiz the gas and go High RPM. This will make the different of spend more gas. I'm not sure.

How I can have both? I was checking and other supercharger and change/switch from Normal, Medium or Full power. It is posible? If I go normal (car stock) I will spent the same gas milage as calculated by the MFG. But if I use the SC, I may save gas. I don't know?

So, what I gaining with a SC?
A) Better Gas Milage B) Power HP & Torque
C) May shorter the life of the motor D) Combination of A & B
E) All above

Quick Reply: Comptech 3rd gen supercharger picture!!!!