Clutch Went. Anyone Go Exedy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Went. Anyone Go Exedy?

Hey everyone, my clutch in the 04 base finally bit the dust today. Car can't even move lol, it was slipping, and I knew I should of replaced it asap, but I've been putting it off. So now that it's finally gone, I've been doing a lot of searching on the forums.

I've read that people have some bad experiences with aftermarket clutches in this car, but has anyone gone with the exedy oem replacement? It's cheaper than the oem one from acura, just questioning the reliability and durability of it. Again i've searched, just a lot of threads. Please voice your suggestions, and thanks again.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Honestly I am thinkin about gettin the exedy. Reading other reviews and all the hassle you go through I prefer not to deal with it. The only problem I have is how well it would work for track abuse. Usually exedy is close to OEM or slightly higher tolerance but not by much. I don't plan on pushing much power but I do plan on taking my car on the track. My main concern is I want something with a slightly stiffer Pressure plate that will grab and a nice disk.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:57 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend going with the OEM unit...

Since you've done the reading, you know that there has NEVER BEEN EVEN ONE INSTANCE, where an aftermarket clutch has worked for our cars, not even once!

Go OEM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Yeah that's why I was curious if anyone had gone with this similar setup because i've read the horror stories of aftermarket ones.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
I HIGHLY recommend going with the OEM unit...

Since you've done the reading, you know that there has NEVER BEEN EVEN ONE INSTANCE, where an aftermarket clutch has worked for our cars, not even once!

Go OEM.
not any more. CM finally got the kit right with the correct PP and diaphram. the ring gear is still an issue, but you can send them your original FW and have it swapped out.

regarding the exedy, its just an OEM replacement. i would spend the extra and go with OEM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
not any more. CM finally got the kit right with the correct PP and diaphram. the ring gear is still an issue, but you can send them your original FW and have it swapped out.
When a number of people run them, and they have over 10k on them w/o any issues, and when they can produce a complete kit, without the need to use the OEM FW...then, and only then is it going to be worth it.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

What I don't get is why do they not just make a ring gear...Instead of you having to spend all that trouble mailing it back and forth. That's what I do not understand. Yes it's a good system but just that much time waiting is a pain. Some people like ordering the part and when it comes drop it right in instead of having to pull a trans...Take out the flywheel to send out for a ring gear...Wait again and put it back in. I dunno but that's just my take especially with the price you pay with CM. I don't really like to wait on things when I can just get it done the same day.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by nail05
what i don't get is why do they not just make a ring gear...instead of you having to spend all that trouble mailing it back and forth. That's what i do not understand. Yes it's a good system but just that much time waiting is a pain. Some people like ordering the part and when it comes drop it right in instead of having to pull a trans...take out the flywheel to send out for a ring gear...wait again and put it back in. I dunno but that's just my take especially with the price you pay with cm. I don't really like to wait on things when i can just get it done the same day.
+1.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by NAiL05
What I don't get is why do they not just make a ring gear...Instead of you having to spend all that trouble mailing it back and forth. That's what I do not understand. Yes it's a good system but just that much time waiting is a pain. Some people like ordering the part and when it comes drop it right in instead of having to pull a trans...Take out the flywheel to send out for a ring gear...Wait again and put it back in. I dunno but that's just my take especially with the price you pay with CM. I don't really like to wait on things when I can just get it done the same day.
Probably for the same reason there isn't an actual part number for a 3G TL. Not enough people buying it. USSI has been running a CM without issues as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bpham
Hey everyone, my clutch in the 04 base finally bit the dust today. Car can't even move lol, it was slipping, and I knew I should of replaced it asap, but I've been putting it off. So now that it's finally gone, I've been doing a lot of searching on the forums.

I've read that people have some bad experiences with aftermarket clutches in this car, but has anyone gone with the exedy oem replacement? It's cheaper than the oem one from acura, just questioning the reliability and durability of it. Again i've searched, just a lot of threads. Please voice your suggestions, and thanks again.
How many miles do you have on the original clutch?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
TL = True Love

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
How many miles do you have on the original clutch?
+ 1 im also curious, i now have 80k miles on my 04 and want to know how long these babies can last. My father is a mechanic so im not worried about labor cost, i just want to save ahead of time, how much do these run for anyway? $300-600?

**First time manual driver**
my first daily driver manual is my tl i just got like 3 months ago, how can you tell if the clutch starts slipping, please no bashing i might get my feelings hurt . I want an honest answer.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

You'll be able to tell. If you are in a higher gear and go to step on it, the rpms will rise abnormally.

If your Dad is a mechanic, he should be able to fill you in.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Instructor

I have 84k on it. But thats only because I drive it pretty hard (and like a dbag + second owner) lol. So oem is the way to go? I have some mild mods done, intake, exhaust, precats, jpipe, 3rd cat delete.

Last edited by bpham; 12-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the cm kit and besides the pp giving out with the fisrt kit it works great now...cm replaced my flywheel with the right ring gear and and updated pp for free...i bought a new disk and no more problems ...i put a little over 14k and its still runing strong....the only thing is that the stock cmc will give out so i bought a omni cmc for the rsx type s which as the same part number as the tl and i used it with a complete ss line to the stock sc with the check valve removed....
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by NAiL05

sadly this is true, but im local so i had the luxury of waiting a 1/2 hour for them to change the ring gear for me. regardless, what else are you going to do? even though CM took forever to finally get the kit right, you have to give them props for at least stepping up to make something available for us, while the other major company's wont even bother. no way, no how is a stock clutch even an option for me, so i had no choice. yes, i went through some heartache's with this kit, but i absolutely LOVE IT now. also FYI, a OEM flywheel from a local junkyard can be had for around 50-100 depending on who you get it from. all you need is the ring gear, so surface condition is irrelavant.

lastly, aasco makes the FW's and also provides the ring gears for them. apparantly no one makes an AM ring gear and are only available in OEM form.

Originally Posted by princelybug
When a number of people run them, and they have over 10k on them w/o any issues, and when they can produce a complete kit, without the need to use the OEM FW...then, and only then is it going to be worth it.
tl2slow has 14k on his, ussi's kit has no issues too, while i just went over 18k hard miles on mine. like i said, they finally perfected the kit (besides the ring gear of course )
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
oem for cheapest and quickest fix
Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
IMO, exedy is a glorified stock replacement part. They work well, but they are not "real" performance clutches...just what I've seen.

We do get the CM units as well. I've tossed around making my own kit for years but I never seem to get the demand I am looking for!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
oem for cheapest and quickest fix
not if your pushing more than 300hp

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
IMO, exedy is a glorified stock replacement part. They work well, but they are not "real" performance clutches...just what I've seen.

We do get the CM units as well. I've tossed around making my own kit for years but I never seem to get the demand I am looking for!
oh snap! you carry CM clutches now marcus?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Former Sponsor

I have for, well, forever. I am direct now as of this year though!

I just never pushed them because of the "issues" people had. I don't like getting mixed up in that stuff.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Former Sponsor

I'd still like my own self-adjusting option.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=04accordcpe;11572068]not if your pushing more than 300hp

Actually it's still probly ok, but any more than that you'd need a more agressive disc at the most. Trying to do any of the aftermarket setups is a long and expensive process. I know first hand. As nice as the CM kit is now that its in it was a LOT of work just to get it in.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Heh, ALL clutch jobs are a LOT of work
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
After tl2slow's experience, I called CM about my car. They said as long as you have an 04, you don't have to send in the ring gear. 05 on up will have to do so. I'm sitting at 110k, but my stock is still going pretty good. I might take the plunge when my clutch goes.

I want to take advantage of a LFW.

I have for, well, forever. I am direct now as of this year though!

I just never pushed them because of the "issues" people had. I don't like getting mixed up in that stuff.
Marcus, if you can confirm about the ring gear for 04's; I will be buying from you.

Last edited by t0talacuratl; 12-16-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:24 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
After tl2slow's experience, I called CM about my car. They said as long as you have an 04, you don't have to send in the ring gear. 05 on up will have to do so. I'm sitting at 110k, but my stock is still going pretty good. I might take the plunge when my clutch goes.

I want to take advantage of a LFW.

Marcus, if you can confirm about the ring gear for 04's; I will be buying from you.
that is BS as far as im concerned.....

can someone please explain why the ring gear would work on a 04, but not an 05up?? so do the 04's have different starterstoo?? please enlighten me someone.

my car is an 04 and had the ring gear issue.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

that is BS as far as im concerned.....

can someone please explain why the ring gear would work on a 04, but not an 05up?? so do the 04's have different starterstoo?? please enlighten me someone.

my car is an 04 and had the ring gear issue.
lol THere is no explanation needed they should be the same. Whoever he talked to gave him a sack of shit.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

If information like this is coming from a CM rep, it's no wonder they have so many problems.

Hopes dashed!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tl2slow
i got the cm kit and besides the pp giving out with the fisrt kit it works great now...cm replaced my flywheel with the right ring gear and and updated pp for free...i bought a new disk and no more problems ...i put a little over 14k and its still runing strong....the only thing is that the stock cmc will give out so i bought a omni cmc for the rsx type s which as the same part number as the tl and i used it with a complete ss line to the stock sc with the check valve removed....
So based on what was just said about the ring gear and CM having varied levels of competency, what exactly do we tell them to send us for a lightweight flywheel, pressure plate and disc for a 3G?

I have a feeling I will be doing this sooner than later but I'd hate to have do it more than once, especially being on the east coast and having to deal with shipping turnaround.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The CM kit seems to be working better now but the ring gear is still off. Some ppl send them out with the old flywheel and have the gear replaced with the OE unit but then there is downtime with the vehicle.

We're also working on a solution; it will take months I'm sure but we having something in the works.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

The problem with the CM kit and the ring gear was caused by a production change in honda's part. Everyone assumed (as you guys just did) that there was no change in the whole run, but clearly there was one at some point.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

The problem with the CM kit and the ring gear was caused by a production change in honda's part. Everyone assumed (as you guys just did) that there was no change in the whole run, but clearly there was one at some point.
no way marcus. maybe for other honda models, but im 100% sure 03 6spd CL, 04-06 TL's, 07-08 TL-S, 03-07 accord 6spds ALL have the same exact ring gear size. there is no reason for them to make the gear 1 tooth shorter and 3/8 of an inch smalled in diameter for whatever reason. that wouldnt make any sense. thats just more BS Jose @ CM was trying to feed us to back there asses up. bottomline, it was the wrong ring gear for any year listed above.

this right here was the problem all along.....this quote is straight from aasco,

"We (aasco)are happy to state that the ring gear issue has been resolved and the OEM style gear has been produced, we will be able to ship parts next week. The original time aloted for manufacturing was doubled due to circumstances out of our control and we appologize for the delay. "

that tells me they took a short cut and decided to use something they already had. they figured it fit close enough to not even bother making a specific one for our cars (till now)

Last edited by 04accordcpe; 12-16-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

this right here was the problem all along.....this quote is straight from aasco,

"We (aasco)are happy to state that the ring gear issue has been resolved and the OEM style gear has been produced, we will be able to ship parts next week. The original time aloted for manufacturing was doubled due to circumstances out of our control and we appologize for the delay. "

that tells me they took a short cut and decided to use something they already had. they figured it fit close enough to not even bother making a specific one for our cars (till now)
So AASCO finally ponied up and developed the correct ring gear? The TL-S ring gear is also different.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Green Machine

no way marcus. maybe for other honda models, but im 100% sure 03 6spd CL, 04-06 TL's, 07-08 TL-S, 03-07 accord 6spds ALL have the same exact ring gear size. there is no reason for them to make the gear 1 tooth shorter and 3/8 of an inch smalled in diameter for whatever reason. that wouldnt make any sense. thats just more BS Jose @ CM was trying to feed us to back there asses up. bottomline, it was the wrong ring gear for any year listed above.

Keep in mind that when I talked to them, this was after you guys CM clutch issues have been resolved. They may had learned from their mistakes and got the right ring gear configuration. Not defending them; just my thoughts.

So let me get this straight; as far as Aasco concern, we can order the ring gear as well as a kit and LFW from CM to make this work. That would be just as easy as ordering and install. I can deal with that as long as everything works!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Originally Posted by Excelerate
So AASCO finally ponied up and developed the correct ring gear? The TL-S ring gear is also different.

you sure??

So let me get this straight; as far as Aasco concern, we can order the ring gear as well as a kit and LFW from CM to make this work.
no.

there is no need to order the ring gear now. all it means is Aasco can now properly supply CM with the correct ring gear when a LWFW is purchased from them so yes, the kit is now perfected
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Just came from the AASCO site and found this:

TL 03-06 3.2L W/ Trigger 103212-11

So I guess we could order from them directly.

When it comes to the PP and disc, do we just order the CL kit?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

you sure??
About which part? I was asking you if they have the correct ring gear now. The TL-S ring gear has 125 teeth according to a customer I spoke to and also according to CM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Green Machine

you sure??

no.

there is no need to order the ring gear now. all it means is Aasco can now properly supply CM with the correct ring gear when a LWFW is purchased from them so yes, the kit is now perfected
Ok so let me get this straight; we can purchase an Aasco LWFW from whom ever sells them. Also purchase a CM kit and install them together with no issues or catches, right?

This will be the new light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok so let me get this straight; we can purchase an Aasco LWFW from whom ever sells them. Also purchase a CM kit and install them together with no issues or catches, right?

This will be the new light at the end of the tunnel!
The CM kit includes the AASCO flywheel already so you would just buy the entire CM kit.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

The CM kit includes the AASCO flywheel already so you would just buy the entire CM kit.
What kit is it? Do they have a 3G TL kit that they just don't list on their website? I don't see anything for 3G at all.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KN_TL
What kit is it? Do they have a 3G TL kit that they just don't list on their website? I don't see anything for 3G at all.
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-251870.aspx

It's the same kit as the Accord 03-07 V6 kit.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-251870.aspx

It's the same kit as the Accord 03-07 V6 kit.
What about the lightweight flywheel. This kit doesn't appear to include that. Or does it?

Quick Reply: Clutch Went. Anyone Go Exedy?