Callahan's build thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012 | 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Callahan's build thread!

I have spent many hours here on acurazine reading hours on end on everything from performance mods to the best wax and what all has acurazine done for me? Well first of all I'm broke and have my saving for the next year already spent, my wife hates my car now and no longer wants to ride in it but I have never loved a car more or have had so much fun on my daily commute.

People look at me like I'm crazy when i pull up in a stripped out TL and loud exhaust, I just can't get enough of it. Everyday I get to work my co-workers give me crap about my car because I did all this to a TL. They always ask me why I didn't get a M3 or something with a better platform for handling/ power. Guess that shows how much they know Ha.

Well anyways back to the point I created this thread, this month I will be installing a couple goodies that I have been saving up for...

First off I have my flywheel, its Aasco light weight (12 pounds) been going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. Thought about going with XLR8's Spec flywheel (15 pounds) but ended up buying the aasco. Also got one of Heeltoes stainless steel clutch lines.

and a course the best part of all Good for 20TQ

Next I have my Magnaflow 18'' round muffler, currently I running two 14" Magnaflows to quad tips. I'm on a diet now so have to cut off all the extra weight :wink:

I do know have any current pics of the car but this is a video of my current exhaust and my car before the diet. First video doesn't get interesting till the last 20 secs or so. Second video is in just a inside clip of the exhaust. I will get some current pics when I have time probably wont be till next week.

Next I have my Phoenix stage two clutch.... I bought this when I first bought the car two years ago before I knew anything about cars. Debated on selling this clutch and buying a name brand for our cars but decided to be the guinea pig on this one. I searched for a couple hours and didn't find anyone that has installed it here on Acurazine.

Next I have my XLR8's 75a engine mounts and engine torque damper, in the pic I only show two engine mounts well thats because I have already installed the first one this past weekend when I put my XLR8's pulley in. Pulley is awesome can tell a little difference, feels like it gave it a little more low end.

Next I have my Progress rear sway bar and type s front sway bar, cars going to handle like a champ with one my next mods. Which I am hopping to get in the mail next weekend.

My coil overs I am hoping to get next weekend.

These are XLR8's new coilovers he's releasing you can find them in this forum. I took these pics off the first page of the forum.
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/excelerate-performance-xlr8-coilover-group-buy-844728/

I'm hoping to have everything installed by the 29th, me and one of mechanic buddies will be installing the clutch, flywheel, rear engine mount, engine torque damper, clutch line and type s front sway bar on the 28/29th. Everything else should be installed by the 22st, to busy to do it this weekend sadly. My exhaust appointment is on the 21st, I still havn't deiced whether or not to have the exhaust come out the back or have a turn down near the rear axle. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to keep the car as light as possible hints the turn down.

Thanks for checking out my thread will try to get pics of the car when I can, I'm also hoping to get my car wrapped in vinyl next month or two. My paint has been beat up pretty bad, either by shopping car or by the ex...
Old 04-11-2012 | 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Forgot to mention my current mods, currently I have drill and slotted rotors with Hawk pads, 255/40-17 DWS on oem rims, MDX spacer, AEM v2 intake, Richie's v2 PCD's and v3 jpipe, custom cat back as seen in video, Skunk2 shifter knob, Comptech short throw and last the TL diet which IMO is the best! Im currently also working on the UCM and cutting more weight off the car. I'm sure I'm forgetting other mods, ill post them as I remember.

I also will be giving a full review on all the items I bought once installed and broke in, also how hard it is to drive with a lw pulley and flywheel...

Another thing I forgot to mention, when I'm installing my clutch I will also being taking out my A/C and a couple other goodies out of the engine bay as part of my diet.

Last edited by callahan; 04-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2012 | 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by callahan

and OF course the best part of all Good for 20TQ
Lol I dont make fun of my grammar/ spelling
Old 04-11-2012 | 08:34 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Good stuff. You need some aesthetic mods to! Need wheels and a spec kit.
Old 04-11-2012 | 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Good stuff. You need some aesthetic mods to! Need wheels and a spec kit.
Thanks, I do need some light weight wheels havnt decided on which ones I want yet maybe some rf1's. I do like the aspec kit but I would rather put the money toward performance such as PnP.
Old 04-11-2012 | 09:05 PM
BRB..Shifting!

How's the comptech short shifter and the skunk2 knob? I'm planning on getting them soon. and wow I can see why your wife hates your car, it's a money guzzler lol
Old 04-11-2012 | 09:09 PM
runnin a little boost

I might be wrong but it looks like your clutch disc is non sprung and will not work with the non dampened LW flywheel. Hope I'm wrong, but it would suck to get it all together and find out. Everything else looks great, the change should be night and day.
Old 04-11-2012 | 11:07 PM
The Track Terror

Looks like quite a good build! I'm definitely biased with the RPF1s...they're one of the best, lightest wheels for the price...I def suggest getting either 17x9 +45 (it's what I have) or the 17x9.5...it still only weighs 15.9 lbs and allows the 255/40 to fit perfectly...also the Continental DW is a very good tire (I tracked with it and it handled admirably) PLUS its also one of the lightest tires out there that is also pretty cheap...if you need/want any other suggestions or ideas let me know!
Old 04-12-2012 | 04:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VieTLover
How's the comptech short shifter and the skunk2 knob? I'm planning on getting them soon. and wow I can see why your wife hates your car, it's a money guzzler lol
Right lol, she hates when I tell her I orded more stuff for the car. The shifter knob is awesome almost better than the short throw, wish I didn't wait two to get it. The short throw is super nice, gives the shifter a firmer feel without making shifting a chore.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I might be wrong but it looks like your clutch disc is non sprung and will not work with the non dampened LW flywheel. Hope I'm wrong, but it would suck to get it all together and find out. Everything else looks great, the change should be night and day.
I'm not sure on this, I'll have to do some more homework or maybe someone else can reply on this matter.

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
Looks like quite a good build! I'm definitely biased with the RPF1s...they're one of the best, lightest wheels for the price...I def suggest getting either 17x9 +45 (it's what I have) or the 17x9.5...it still only weighs 15.9 lbs and allows the 255/40 to fit perfectly...also the Continental DW is a very good tire (I tracked with it and it handled admirably) PLUS its also one of the lightest tires out there that is also pretty cheap...if you need/want any other suggestions or ideas let me know!
I was thinking about getting some 17x9 rf1's but was hoping to fit something wider than 255's maybe some 275's? I have heard nothing but great things about the dw's, I'll definitely be ordering them when it comes time to get tires.
Old 04-12-2012 | 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

ECU should be next on the list as well.
Old 04-12-2012 | 07:32 AM
Safety Car

I agree, you need springs on the disc if you aren't using the dual mass flywheel. It'll go together with no problems but I can't imagine it being a very pleasant experience to drive.

I also have a FSB waiting with the clutch to be installed. I am going to burn down the stocker and then dive in.

Last edited by KN_TL; 04-12-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2012 | 07:35 AM
BANNED

sub'd.

looks like a lot of fun! keep us updated!
Old 04-12-2012 | 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bouncer07
ECU should be next on the list as well.
Thought about it but Im going to get some light weight wheels and my racing seat before the ecu. Maybe some cams and PnP work before the ecu too. I change my mind all the time so who knows what I'll do.
Old 04-12-2012 | 07:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Dang u guys are quick.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I agree, you need springs on the disc if you aren't using the dual mass flywheel. It'll go together with no problems but I can't imagine it being a very pleasant experience to drive.

I also have a FSB waiting with the clutch to be installed. I am going to burn down the stocker and then dive in.
Hmm, well I suppose I'll get a different clutch (wife's going to hate me lol) I'll start doing some homework. What clutch is everyone using know a days? Might just with oem, I guess I'll c what I come up with.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
sub'd.

looks like a lot of fun! keep us updated!
I will thanks!
Old 04-12-2012 | 08:39 AM
runnin a little boost

You need a sprung clutch disc if you want to use the LW FW. The stock disc will have the same problem it's non sprung since the stock FW is dampened. The disc you have is for a stock FW PP setup.
Old 04-12-2012 | 11:36 AM
Safety Car

his going to grenade his transmission.

@ OP get a clutch that is sprung
Old 04-12-2012 | 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

You need a sprung clutch disc if you want to use the LW FW. The stock disc will have the same problem it's non sprung since the stock FW is dampened. The disc you have is for a stock FW PP setup.
I'll do some homework this weekend, I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to clutches/ flywheels.

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
his going to grenade his transmission.

@ OP get a clutch that is sprung
Ha yeah I'm glad I made this thread, I would of been screwed. I'll look up some sprung clutches this weekend and let you guys know what I come up with.
Old 04-12-2012 | 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I think I'm going to go with the clutch master fx100 stage one, no real need to get the stage 3. Looks to have some good reviews and is sprung.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/clutchmas...40-hd00-s.html
Old 04-13-2012 | 05:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Well I decided to go with the fx300, once heeltoe emails me back I will be placing my order. Thanks for all the help guys, I would of screwed myself with the other clutch. I Will be installing it the end of the month as long as u get the clutch in time.

Edit: forgot to include the link,
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/clutchmas...40-hdtz-s.html
Old 04-16-2012 | 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Still waiting on heeltoe to get back a hold of me, I'll probably give him a call today and see what's going on. I'm sure he's busy, can't even imagine how many emails he goes thru daily.

This weekend I will be redoing my exhaust agian, was planning on only doing cat back but now I decided to sell my jpipe and have a custom one made. Still doing some research I'm leaning toward doing unequal pipes, as far as I have researched it should help low end and gives it a better tone. The only down part to this is that my high end will suffer, so the plan is to try to find a happy medium. The jpipe will also have a 3" outlet

Last edited by callahan; 04-16-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 07:45 AM
Safety Car

I don't remember which is better but check around here or ask Marcus about the differences in the disc material. I seem to remember that the kevlar types were more prone to chatter than the organic based ones. AccordCoupe* (don't remember his actual name here) would be a good resource for that. He's been around the block a few times with the MT components.
Old 04-16-2012 | 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Found two good reviews on it, seems to be a nice clutch both reviews mentioned chatter during the breaking in process but after 500 miles or so there was little to no chatter.
Old 04-16-2012 | 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I am running the RPf1s with 255/40.. my car needs a drop but even at stock height I had to roll my rear fenders.. if you run 275/40 I am not sure if you will be able to clear the fronts.. i think some folks are running that on the rear with lots of camber and a roll/pull but I have not seen anyone with that in front

everything looks great, you are taking the path I am looking at, and also the same looks from the wife
Old 04-16-2012 | 12:36 PM
Safety Car

This weekend I will be redoing my exhaust agian,
Are you still planning to do the single 3" with the Magnaflow Muffler PN #12649 ?
Old 04-16-2012 | 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FCVadi
I am running the RPf1s with 255/40.. my car needs a drop but even at stock height I had to roll my rear fenders.. if you run 275/40 I am not sure if you will be able to clear the fronts.. i think some folks are running that on the rear with lots of camber and a roll/pull but I have not seen anyone with that in front

everything looks great, you are taking the path I am looking at, and also the same looks from the wife
I'm probably going to find a different wheel other than rf1's to run my 275, if I have to I will run 265 I suppose lol. Ha yeah my wife refuses to rind in the car anymore.

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Are you still planning to do the single 3" with the Magnaflow Muffler PN #12649 ?
Yep, havnt decided if I'm doing a turn down yet or not. I probably won't end up deciding till Saturday lol. Im excited about the custom jpipe also, hopefully by Saturday I have a better plan. I'll be doing some homework tonight
Old 04-16-2012 | 01:19 PM
Safety Car

I would advise doing the exit at the rear bumper like mine. I would not want to have that much sound being release into the atmosphere until it was well past my vehicle. There would be hell to pay if that noise was release under the floorboard of the vehicle. And, you know that I ain't timid.

Looking forward to a sound clip when finished
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:11 PM
meh
Advanced

I would advise doing the exit at the rear bumper like mine. I would not want to have that much sound being release into the atmosphere until it was well past my vehicle. There would be hell to pay if that noise was release under the floorboard of the vehicle. And, you know that I ain't timid.

Definitely a good point. Aim to have the tip/turn-down as far back to the rear bumper as possible. If not, you will get a lot of that noise inside the cabin, and it won't actually be that loud outside.
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:17 PM
meh
Advanced

Right lol, she hates when I tell her I orded more stuff for the car. The shifter knob is awesome almost better than the short throw, wish I didn't wait two to get it. The short throw is super nice, gives the shifter a firmer feel without making shifting a chore.

I'm not sure on this, I'll have to do some more homework or maybe someone else can reply on this matter.

I was thinking about getting some 17x9 rf1's but was hoping to fit something wider than 255's maybe some 275's? I have heard nothing but great things about the dw's, I'll definitely be ordering them when it comes time to get tires.
275's is going to be a tough fit. You will want as much camber and rolled/flared fenders for the front. If you don't want to go through all that 265's to be safe, or even just settle for stickier 255's.
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:17 PM
takin care of Business in

dude am glad you started a build thread....

and looks like you have made a lot of progress right off the bat !!!
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meh
Definitely a good point. Aim to have the tip/turn-down as far back to the rear bumper as possible. If not, you will get a lot of that noise inside the cabin, and it won't actually be that loud outside.
If I did a turn down it would be where the stock muffler "y", I'm still a little hesitant about even doing it.

Originally Posted by meh
275's is going to be a tough fit. You will want as much camber and rolled/flared fenders for the front. If you don't want to go through all that 265's to be safe, or even just settle for stickier 255's.
I think my jpipe will look something like this unless I figure out something better

I know its going to be a tough fit but I won't be lowered much if at all and I'm going to be running ISC N1 track Coilovers (spring rate of 14K 10K). I already planed on roll cut pulling the fenders, so im not to worried about all that. I'm still in the planning phase so nothing is for sure yet.

Originally Posted by swoosh
dude am glad you started a build thread....

and looks like you have made a lot of progress right off the bat !!!
Thanks, normally I like to mod slower (wont get tired of the car of fast and the wife won't realize how much I spending) but I wanted to do the clutch and if I'm doing the clutch I might as well do motor mounts, pulley, fsb etc. Figured I would save myself of the headache of dropping the frame again.

Last edited by callahan; 04-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:32 PM

btw if you still interested in the racing seats + seat belts for a deal PM me....
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swoosh
btw if you still interested in the racing seats + seat belts for a deal PM me....
PMed

On another note, My unequal length jpipe will look something similar to this, except mine will be a 3" outlet not 2.5".

Last edited by callahan; 04-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:48 PM

PMed

On another note, My unequal length jpipe will look something similar to this, except mine will be a 3" outlet not 2.5".
Fixed your image:

also any reason why you are going unequal length ?
Old 04-16-2012 | 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

lol I fixed right before you posted, but from what I have researched unequal headers will give you more low end but the high end will suffer so im trying to find a happy medium. Also the best part of all it makes your car sound like a beast.
Old 04-16-2012 | 03:02 PM

^^^ LOL....depends on how you merge the pipes:

RV6 jpipe has long primaries and hence a lot more low end
ATLP jpipe has shorter primaries and hence a lot more high end

you want to find something in the middle.....and NO your top end will not suffer....how do I know you ask:

just 1 thing to remember is, if you exhaust produces rasp, now you will have rasp over multiple frequencies......

finally....
Old 04-16-2012 | 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info, I saw that video in heeltoe's teaser but never watch it. Had some good info in it, I'm not to worried about rasp not that I like it but as long as I get some good number out of the exhaust ill be happy.
Old 04-16-2012 | 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can't wait to see more of this TL, BTW im glad your happy with the shift knob lol.
Old 04-16-2012 | 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mY sLOW UA6
I can't wait to see more of this TL, BTW im glad your happy with the shift knob lol.
I loooove the shift knob, thanks again
Old 04-16-2012 | 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I looked right over your commit earlier, Ill do the rear exit exhaust I guess lol. I will be making several different videos to show the exhaust and new jpipe. Ill try to get them uploaded Saturday, if not they will defiantly be up Sunday. Maybe ill even have my coils install too .

Last edited by callahan; 04-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Inaccurate (04-16-2012)
Old 04-17-2012 | 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Heeltoe got back a hold of me, finally got my order placed for the clutch. I did deiced to get the FX300 going to be sooo bad a$$, hoping to get it in the mail by next weekend. Also got update from excelerate, my coils should be shipped this Friday or Saturday, which means I should be able to install them next weekend also. Going to be a long weekend with all the rusty bolts.

Quick Reply: Callahan's build thread!