CAI + J-pipe + Catback = SLOWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI + J-pipe + Catback = SLOWER!!!

I just installed an Injen CAI, J-pipe and Greddy Evo 2 on my 07 TL-S and my car feels slower then ever... I had never taken it to the track before the mods but I took it to a local 1/8th mile track and sadly ran a 9.875 which according to the 1/8 to 1/4 conversion charts is a mid 15 second quarter mile. I was wondering if anyone else feels a power loss with these mods?!?! The car doesnt seem to have the kick at full throttle that it once did and it doesnt seem to always downshift like it should?!?! A friend of mine told me a lot of newer cars have "learning computers" which in his words was that it takes time for the car to recognize the mods and configure for them. Anyone ran an 1/8th track with a stock TL-S AT? Any words of advice from others on why it may be slower?

Last edited by Lileasy123; 08-26-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you reset your ECU after all the installs? You gotta let you car adjust to the new mods... Give it a couple hundred miles and you *should* feel more power.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Advanced

No I did not reset... how do I do that? disconnect negative battery terminal? I hope it gets better... I was considering putting back to stock
Old 08-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Make sure you know your navi code and radio code before you do that, it should be on the little card that came with your manual. If you dont know them, you can reset your ECU by pulling out the clock fuse, wait a few minutes, and then put it back in. That method will not require you to enter the codes. The fuse is located on the passenger side footwell.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
also did you make sure that all your fluids were fine and that everything was bolted up properly?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
u should be running mid 14's..

did u use the brake torque method?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
So called "learning computers" (actually software) have been around a long time in cars. This is, by no means a newer car techology. Our ECUs operate on the speed density principle which is why there is no MAF. Yes, your ECU will take a little time to relearn and therefore reset/store the new fuel mappings an other parameters before it can take full advantage of your new setup. Give it some time or disconnect it for a bit, then report back your results.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
u should be running mid 14's..

did u use the brake torque method?
well im not quite sure what the brake torque method is?? and for the other post about fluids and everything tight, yes everything is tight on the exhaust, but I know I am close to needing an oil change but all other fluids should be fine....

another observation since the mods is that my car heats up twice as fast as it did before... any ideas?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Pro

reset the ecu!

Every dyno ever put up on any of the products you are now running shows gains in HP and Torque.

Has the weather been warmer since you put on these parts? Or maybe your TL is just so fast now its making you crazy...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you haven't reset the ECU yet it will learn on it's own in a couple of hundred miles. Resetting the ECU after installing mods helps it learn quicker since it will recognize the better flow and adjust the A/F ratios and timing to try and accommodate the new mods. As far as your car heating up quicker check to make sure your coolant hoses are routed correctly and you have enough coolant. You may have lost some after the CAI install. Did you do the TB bypass mod while installing the CAI?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
did you turn vsa off... it alters shifts ALOT... between 2nd and 3rd my car brakes traction VSA OFF... with VSA on... it cuts throttle resulting in a drop of RPMS...

if you want to get the best time you need to launch almost perfect with this auto...

oh and by the way, I noticed that even in auto mode you can bang redline
Old 08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ducati748R
As far as your car heating up quicker check to make sure your coolant hoses are routed correctly and you have enough coolant. You may have lost some after the CAI install. Did you do the TB bypass mod while installing the CAI?
I did lose some coolant but I didnt think It would be enough to make a difference... I will check that once I get back to my car. What is the TB bypass mod?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stillhere153
did you turn vsa off... it alters shifts ALOT... between 2nd and 3rd my car brakes traction VSA OFF... with VSA on... it cuts throttle resulting in a drop of RPMS...

if you want to get the best time you need to launch almost perfect with this auto...

oh and by the way, I noticed that even in auto mode you can bang redline
Well the wierd shifting is mostly when I am driving normal, it seems to shift at higher rpms then it used to. But also when I full throttle at about 30-35mph it sometimes does not downshift like it used to, it stays in 3rd. Well when I was at the track the VSA was off so that was not a factor in that. How do you perfect launch your AT? I just hold brake and a little gas, then drop brake and increase throttle and try not to break loose too much....
Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Timeless
reset the ecu!

Every dyno ever put up on any of the products you are now running shows gains in HP and Torque.

Has the weather been warmer since you put on these parts? Or maybe your TL is just so fast now its making you crazy...
Are the dynos immediatly after install or did they reset ecu and wait a few hundred miles? No weather has been relitively the same... I would have thought the going crazy thing might be true, but then I got the drag slips that show Im not going crazy!!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lileasy123
I did lose some coolant but I didnt think It would be enough to make a difference... I will check that once I get back to my car. What is the TB bypass mod?
stock, our cars have coolant flowing in and out of the TB, which means there is hot coolant in the TB. So, some people remove the ins and outs and bypass the TB all together thereby creating a cooler TB. Not hard, you probably just need to buy some longer hose.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
tb bypass not recommended for temperatures bellow freezing

also the cai should have come with enough rubber braided hose to allow you to...
also eliminate the metal bracket that is plugged into the air hose, the metal bracket has (hot) coolant running through it directly next to this hose
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stillhere153
tb bypass not recommended for temperatures bellow freezing

also the cai should have come with enough rubber braided hose to allow you to...
also eliminate the metal bracket that is plugged into the air hose, the metal bracket has (hot) coolant running through it directly next to this hose
I dont think I am going to do the TB bypass... it just doesnt sound like a good idea to me. I did have enough hose to eliminate the metal bracket and add the new air hose, Im just REALLY hoping the ECU reset will help with the HP. The wierd situation is that it feels it has LOST power after adding the mods, I would have assumed even with old settings in the ECU it would be just as fast.... for those who did similar installs did you feel this power loss after install?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
I have the aem intake, j-pipe,and race pipe. i dont have a exhaust yet,waiting for atlp base exhaust which mike is working on right now. after the intake and j-pipe i lost power. but im bottlenecking which caused that loss. i reset the ecu and helped alittle. then recently i got the race pipe and i disconnected the battery before the test pipe mod. seems to be responding better,but wont get the full effect until i get my cat-back.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Italiano
I have the aem intake, j-pipe,and race pipe. i dont have a exhaust yet,waiting for atlp base exhaust which mike is working on right now. after the intake and j-pipe i lost power. but im bottlenecking which caused that loss. i reset the ecu and helped alittle. then recently i got the race pipe and i disconnected the battery before the test pipe mod. seems to be responding better,but wont get the full effect until i get my cat-back.

Same here. I too have CAI, procats, j-pipe and test pipe with the stock exhaust. My low to mid range power has increased a good bit, but bottle necking at the cat back. But no loss of power what so ever.
I think you need to recheck your install, because something is not right. I've never heard of anyone else with loss of power after mods.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
dude, your car's not gonna "learn" immediately. It usually takes 500+ miles for your car to relearn everything! trust me, she'll pick up.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
what's tha update?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Well.... I am not able to put many miles on my car, I only work bout 5 miles away on the weekends and I walk to school during the week so I only go about 50-75 miles each week. I did reset the ECU and hopefully that works in time, I also Had the exhaust partially redone to remove the 2 resonators the previous owner of the catback installed and I installed the Eshift Pro 3rd cat (I have all 3 but I think I will gut the other 2 and sell as cat deletes). It feels a little faster then before but still not much... I am hoping as the weeks go by the power will slowly increase. I talked to a mechanic friend and he said that maybe the engine is not getting the backpressure that it needs?!?! I dont know, but I will definatly keep everyone posted.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:42 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Its gotta be an install error, or a totally isolated problem with the car (bad coil pack, failing tq convertor, low fluids, 200lbs of cement in the trunk )

the power gains from all of those parts is incredible. my
Old 08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you didn't know? mods make your car slower
Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC3328
I just hope this is not a sarcastic remark towards my cars slowness, I guess I wouldnt believe it if I hadnt experienced it.... because yes, doing these mods has made my car slower, I know because I am the one who drives it... and running a 9.875 in the 1/8 is not a happy day for me, it should be low 9's. As he said before you there must be some other problem going on. I have recheck all work and topped off all fluids. I will be performing an oil change in a few minutes and driving the shit out of it monday to try and get my ECU all up to date...
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Instructor

I just hope this is not a sarcastic remark towards my cars slowness, I guess I wouldnt believe it if I hadnt experienced it.... because yes, doing these mods has made my car slower, I know because I am the one who drives it... and running a 9.875 in the 1/8 is not a happy day for me, it should be low 9's. As he said before you there must be some other problem going on. I have recheck all work and topped off all fluids. I will be performing an oil change in a few minutes and driving the shit out of it monday to try and get my ECU all up to date...

Lileasy I think DC3328 was being a bit sarcastic but sadly there is some truth to what he said. I have a feeling based on your mods that your mechanic friend may be right. The car could have lost some low to mid range torque because of the mods you put on and gained some top end. How does it feel on the top end? If you were to do a mid 15 sec 1/4 mile time it wouldn't be that far away from what others have done. The car magazines 1/4 mile times can often be misleading so take those with a grain of salt. There are lots of variables to consider when comparing track times driver error, wheel spin, 60ft time, etc...Again the weather plays a huge role in how the car performs and needs to be factored in when comparing mods.

The dyno only tells part of the story and without track times to balance the dyno #'s we will never really know what these parts are doing. I'm glad you went to the track and tested and had the guts to say your car feels slower. But you may have found the reality of adding mods to the TL without ECU tuning support...
Old 08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I talked to a mechanic friend and he said that maybe the engine is not getting the backpressure that it needs?!?!
I been reading this Acura forum for several years. And, this problem of "not enough backpressure" does happen to many TL modders. Having not enough back pressure is the first place that I would invesitigate.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
the e-shift cats may be your problem, the J-pipe and Evo2 were designed with the stock and TL-S cats, which are much more denser than the e- shifts.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Lileasy I think DC3328 was being a bit sarcastic but sadly there is some truth to what he said. I have a feeling based on your mods that your mechanic friend may be right. The car could have lost some low to mid range torque because of the mods you put on and gained some top end. How does it feel on the top end? If you were to do a mid 15 sec 1/4 mile time it wouldn't be that far away from what others have done. The car magazines 1/4 mile times can often be misleading so take those with a grain of salt. There are lots of variables to consider when comparing track times driver error, wheel spin, 60ft time, etc...Again the weather plays a huge role in how the car performs and needs to be factored in when comparing mods.

The dyno only tells part of the story and without track times to balance the dyno #'s we will never really know what these parts are doing. I'm glad you went to the track and tested and had the guts to say your car feels slower. But you may have found the reality of adding mods to the TL without ECU tuning support...
I know a lot of you may think Im CRAZY but since I reset the ECU Saturday it seems to feel as if it is getting a little bit of its power back. Yes the power loss is mainly low end but the top end feels about the same it did before. I just really wish that there was another aziner around me so they could drive it and vouch for me.... but on the bright side.... my car sounds AWESOME!!! Im guessing there is no ECU tuning that can be done with our cars (besides the reset)?? Is there longterm damage from not having the right back pressure???
Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Typically with too much exhaust flow and since you reported your car seems like it's "heating up twice as fast" means your probably running lean. It's probably not enough to cause any damage. Are you hearing any detonation? If you are than that's bad...make sure your using premium fuel too. I think a couple of members are trying out some generic ECU tuners to see if they can get them to work with our platform.

As Inaccurate and Csmeance have already eluded to, the problem is most likely with the exhaust combination you've chosen and it flowing too much air, at the wrong velocity, reducing power. The parts you've chosen were not tested and designed to go together, so I'd change some things around and see if it helps. Just out of curiosity, what made you choose this set up? Does another member have this set up that reported gains?

Maybe start with the stock B-pipe since that is the easiest to change. You won't have to mess with your expensive Greddy exhaust and the sound you like. Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3328
Wow what a dick!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

sounds like the car is running too lean with all of the airflow mods. In the G35 world this problem was very very common. I dont think the stock ECU will ever let you totally retune to the new mods. to combat this on my G35 I did a technosquare ECU custom retune. WOW it made a huge difference. If there are no shops that do ecu retunes I would disconnect the battery and reset the stock ECU. should work
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why you need to get a ATLP exhaust, J pipe and race pipe/high flow catalyst. Theyre designed to work together. Its kinda like crossdressing but with AM parts!! But there is no guarantee of course. I know its been said but reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery and make sure you have your navi and Sterio codes at hand.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OTSB708
Wow what a dick!
Dude, RED = sarcasm...lol
CHILL, he was only kidding
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLType-s12
This is why you need to get a ATLP exhaust, J pipe and race pipe/high flow catalyst. Theyre designed to work together. Its kinda like crossdressing but with AM parts!! But there is no guarantee of course. I know its been said but reset your ECU by disconnecting the battery and make sure you have your navi and Sterio codes at hand.
Well, anything less restrictive is better. There are many different routes to take and ATLP is definitely one of them.