Brembos on an AT??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Brembos on an AT??

Anybody put the Brembos on their 5AT's ?? I found an acura dealer on ebay selling the kit for $2200. (they suggest 4 hours labor too) so it would be a lot of money, but probably worth it?

If anybody has it, did you have to change your stock wheels? or what spacers did u have to use?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:19 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Anybody put the Brembos on their 5AT's ?? I found an acura dealer on ebay selling the kit for $2200. (they suggest 4 hours labor too) so it would be a lot of money, but probably worth it?

If anybody has it, did you have to change your stock wheels? or what spacers did u have to use?
If they are selling an Acura stock Brembo brake package for that much I probably wouldnt do it. I think you might be able to get a BBK (if there is one avail. for your cars.) for that much. If you wanted to keep your stock wheels, Acura/OEM parts are they way to go.

Is that for all 4? or just 2?...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Anthracite TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
If they are selling an Acura stock Brembo brake package for that much I probably wouldnt do it. I think you might be able to get a BBK (if there is one avail. for your cars.) for that much. If you wanted to keep your stock wheels, Acura/OEM parts are they way to go.

Is that for all 4? or just 2?...
Yes, is that for 4 or just 2 front?
Can you trll me where to get BBK kit for 06 TL?
Thanks

2006 TL 5AT-Navi-AM-Carbon fiber upgrade, PIAA carbon fiber wipers, Clear bra
Old 04-03-2006, 07:04 AM
Burning Brakes

I would go with a StopTech kit myself, If I didn't already have the Brembo's.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
If its OEM, which I doubt it is, you go save money and go aftermarket. i.e. Rotora, or Stoptech
Old 04-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Just an FYI, I think the Brembos really leave a lot of brake dust on the wheels.

I don't know if this is normal with the higher performance brakes/pads but I was a little surprised.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slapmesilly
Just an FYI, I think the Brembos really leave a lot of brake dust on the wheels.

I don't know if this is normal with the higher performance brakes/pads but I was a little surprised.
That's not because of the calipers, but because of the pads. If you don't like it change the pads. IMO, the dusting from the stock Bremos doesn't even compare to the amount of dusting from a German car.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTEC
That's not because of the calipers, but because of the pads. If you don't like it change the pads. IMO, the dusting from the stock Bremos doesn't even compare to the amount of dusting from a German car.

my friends m has a constant black front wheel
Old 04-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by o2cls
my friends m has a constant black front wheel
I bet! After owning four Audi's and a Mercedes I've come used to driving 30 miles and have my wheels turn black. I decided to change brake pads on my last two Audi's the day it brought it home from dealer. Every Audi, BMW, and MB I see on the road has black wheels.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From my understanding you need to do some machining work in order to put the 6mt Brembos on an AT. There was a member (name escapes me) that had some I was thinking about buying for an absolute steel of a price. He took off the factory Brembos and upgraded to Stoptechs. However, the stoptechs were only made for th AT so it ended up being more work for him to get them adapted to his 6mt. The same would go for me adapting the 6MT brembos to fit my AT TL. Just didn't seem worth it at the time.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The ones you will see on ebay are aftermarket Brembo kits. They are certainly worth the money, but expensive compared to Stoptech or Rotora which can be had for approx. $1600 versus $2200 ish for the Brembo brand ones. Not to be confused with the oem Acura/Brembo ones, which you will not generally find for sale on Ebay. A member quoted me on selling his used Brembos from his MT for my AT, as he had upgraded to aftermarket BBKs, but there would be a ton of modifications to the calipers, knuckles and other parts to get the MT Brembo/OEM calipers to work on an AT, which brings the price up to nearly that of just buying an aftermarket kit.

Best bet is to go with one of the aftermarket kits, if you want the name go with the Brembo, if you want to save a little $$ go with Stoptech or Rotora.

There are tons of threads on these boards regarding which pads yield more/less dust with which brake kits.

Oh, also, one of the differences between the aftermarket BBK kits is the availability of various mfg. pads, some have more/less options available or force you to use theirs depending on which way you go.

After looking into it extensively I decided to go with the a-spec susp and CT RSB and a few other items as my first upgrades, next I think I'll go body kit and rims tires, then perhaps look into this down the road.

I may just upgrade my pads and even potentially rotors to aftermarket ones that are better than stock on the ATs next, as it's a lot less expensive.

Oh, the kits you see for the AT are all for the front brakes only, no one (unless you go custom which = $$$$$$$) currently makes a back kit for our car. One member here (Lokius) went this route and it ended up being a nightmare for the few who went that route from what I recall..
Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 AM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for AT, is it possible to install better brake pad than OEM pad?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Instructor

Anyone know how where I can get just the calipers? That black with the ACURA going across is very nice, much nicer than the plain metal look of my AT stock calipers.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vandido626
Anyone know how where I can get just the calipers? That black with the ACURA going across is very nice, much nicer than the plain metal look of my AT stock calipers.
You can paint the calipers black and afix decals to them to get that look. There are a few threads around talking about which paint to use and where to find the decals.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just as cTLgo said, go Rotora or Stoptech. They are just as good as Brembos (IMO), but cost less.

As for the brake dust, yes, the Brembo pads leave a LOT of brake dust. After washing my car, it takes about a full tank of gas worth of driving before my wheels are gunmetal colored
Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

One thing I never hear people talk about when upgrading to a big brake kit is the availability of replacement pads. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Comptech Brembo kit calipers likely use the same pads as the 6MT so you'll have a selection of suppliers and compounds to choose from, and when you sell your car it will look the same as a 6MT with the (bad ass) black calipers so it looks like it belongs in the TL family.

At $2300 the Comptech kit is a bit spendy, but at least it comes with rotors and SS brake lines and is a bolt in kit.

Here's a link to the Brembo kit on Comptech's site.
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/product407.html
Old 05-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The ROTORA Big Brake Kits, just like the Brembo or Stoptech kits, come with two cross-drilled and slotted (or slotted only) vented e-coated black 13" one-piece rotors, two 2-pc cast aluminum 4-piston calipers (red or sky blue metallic), two anodized black caliper mounting brackets, Rotora street performance pads, stainless-steel braided brake lines. You can opt for 2 piece rotors too and even a 14" rotor (but that is a little overkill).

Here is a link to more info and pricing: https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-big-brake-kits-cl-tl-tsx-333692/

BTW these BBK's are in stock.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:11 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gqchicago
The ones you will see on ebay are aftermarket Brembo kits. They are certainly worth the money, but expensive compared to Stoptech or Rotora which can be had for approx. $1600 versus $2200 ish for the Brembo brand ones. Not to be confused with the oem Acura/Brembo ones, which you will not generally find for sale on Ebay. A member quoted me on selling his used Brembos from his MT for my AT, as he had upgraded to aftermarket BBKs, but there would be a ton of modifications to the calipers, knuckles and other parts to get the MT Brembo/OEM calipers to work on an AT, which brings the price up to nearly that of just buying an aftermarket kit.

Best bet is to go with one of the aftermarket kits, if you want the name go with the Brembo, if you want to save a little $$ go with Stoptech or Rotora.

There are tons of threads on these boards regarding which pads yield more/less dust with which brake kits.

Oh, also, one of the differences between the aftermarket BBK kits is the availability of various mfg. pads, some have more/less options available or force you to use theirs depending on which way you go.

After looking into it extensively I decided to go with the a-spec susp and CT RSB and a few other items as my first upgrades, next I think I'll go body kit and rims tires, then perhaps look into this down the road.

I may just upgrade my pads and even potentially rotors to aftermarket ones that are better than stock on the ATs next, as it's a lot less expensive.

Oh, the kits you see for the AT are all for the front brakes only, no one (unless you go custom which = $$$$$$$) currently makes a back kit for our car. One member here (Lokius) went this route and it ended up being a nightmare for the few who went that route from what I recall..
Not true actually......I just ordered a Rotora BBK front and Rear for my 3G TL. Waiting for it to get here now.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Instructor

I have converted my 5AT into Brembo, and there is huge difference and it' s really worth to ggo for it
Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

is there anything that needs to be done aside from the brackets? people are saying the AT cars need to have soemthing ground off the spindle? ive done a few searches but i can never find a clear answer :S
Old 01-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
i think the best way now is to look up the parts for an 07 TL-S 5AT front brake system. since the TL-S 5AT comes with Brembo, all we need to do is find out what those parts are and bolt them onto the current AT. i know it may not be as simple as that, but the foundation is right there.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
On Brake dust- Hawk HPS pads are serious stopping power and barely dust my wheels. There will always be some- thats how the brakes work!

Look at our sponsoring vendors here- the ones that keep acurazine free to us
Check the Black Market section- sponsoredsales/group buys
There is Excellerate who posted above- call him
And Mr Heel Toe click link in his postings or heeltoeauto.com

Both are reputable suppliers I would go thru, before Ebay or anything else.
Brakes are important and the right ones for your car even more so!
Have you year and type transmission ready- and make a call to each place- ask questions
They are here to sell sure- AND they are here because they are good!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sixsixfour
i think the best way now is to look up the parts for an 07 TL-S 5AT front brake system. since the TL-S 5AT comes with Brembo, all we need to do is find out what those parts are and bolt them onto the current AT. i know it may not be as simple as that, but the foundation is right there.
That may not be true... The 2007 TL-S may be equipped with the 2006 MT spindle and drive shaft components (which is what I suspect), which would not solve the problem. I have not done a parts lookup, but I'm prerry sure Acura is not creating two seperate Brmebo setups, they're just reusing the MT design on the 5AT...

Which means you need a bracket made, or you need over $1K in suspension parts.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yea, there are a NUMBER of things (knuckles, rods, etc) you have to do to get the Brembo's to fit the AT's. From what I understand, it adds a good chunk of change (as well as labor) to replace parts, modify, etc. EVERYONE who has considered it (that I am aware of) has opted for some other allternative. Seems everyone here is trying to sell the guy on the alternatives but not telling him what the requirements are for his original post. I don't have that information either but I did see a guy selling a pair of Brembos on eBay and he only got like $700 for them (he adversited them as "Brembos for an AT" and many bidders apparently enver caught on). Someone got a good deal there.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kennedy
That may not be true... The 2007 TL-S may be equipped with the 2006 MT spindle and drive shaft components (which is what I suspect), which would not solve the problem. I have not done a parts lookup, but I'm prerry sure Acura is not creating two seperate Brmebo setups, they're just reusing the MT design on the 5AT...

Which means you need a bracket made, or you need over $1K in suspension parts.
I see. I thought that would have been the case, but what you said makes sense. oh well, it was worth a try. i miss having Brembos on my car, having come from an Evo
Old 02-01-2007, 06:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
I see. I thought that would have been the case, but what you said makes sense. oh well, it was worth a try. i miss having Brembos on my car, having come from an Evo
www.car-part.com is your friend.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Drifting

www.car-part.com is your friend.
thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

For the same $$$, i'd just get the Rotora BBK....it looks a lot better
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by JJaber06
For the same $$$, i'd just get the Rotora BBK....it looks a lot better
blue powdercoat = looks better? I prefer the black opposed to the riceboy red or blue "bright colors"...

I wonder which actually PERFORMS better.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Hm....I was thinking the big 13" cross-drilled rotor vs. the blank brembo

But if I were to get the Rotora's, i'd have the painted black
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Hm....I was thinking the big 13" cross-drilled rotor vs. the blank brembo

But if I were to get the Rotora's, i'd have the painted black
Bah... I'm not a believer in cross drilling. I think the potential for creating stress points and faults far outweighs the gassing benefits. Unless you have serious (real) racing rotors, I think slots and holes are more of a liability than a benefit and are for poseur looks only.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Bah... I'm not a believer in cross drilling. I think the potential for creating stress points and faults far outweighs the gassing benefits. Unless you have serious (real) racing rotors, I think slots and holes are more of a liability than a benefit and are for poseur looks only.

Then why do car manufacturers like Porsche use slotted and/or drilled discs? And why does every aftermarket brake manufacturer use slotted and/or drilled discs on their BBK setups? It is b/c they dissipate heat better. They allow gases trapped in between the pad and disc to escape. Companies like Porsche, BMW, etc., design slots in their bumpers to increase air flow to the brakes to keep temperatures down b/c heat will lessen braking ability.

Now personally I think slotted discs are more functional. You do not risk stress points with the slot nor do you with the holes if the rotor has been machined properly. IMO if you have slots the holes are more aesthetics. And keep in mind that probably that there are two real reasons ppl buy BBK's:aesthetics and function.

If you are concerned with the color too ROTORA offers custom colors (for $300): black, gold, grey, yellow, gunmetal, etc. In fact there a number of OEM's, i.e Infiniti (w/ the G35) who use a color other than black.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Our other friends are the vendors from the is site

Excellerate and MrHeel Toe

Go the Forums list, Black Market Sponsored Sales for ads by each
Then CALL both direct for the latest news on rotors for your car.
Things change all the time!
Old 02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I understand the physics of WHY high performance manufacturers (like Porsche, Brembo, and Racingbrake) use slotted/drilled rotors. My point was that MOST slot/drilled kits on the market aren't manufactured the same way true performance rotors are...
Taking a cast Iron rotor and drilling holes or slots in it doesn't make it a high performance rotor.

You get what you pay for here. And if you're paying $100 for a "high performance rotor", it ain't. It's a cast iron rotor that has holes/slots drilled in it... and when you try to use that "stock class" rotor in a real high performance environment, they're gonna warp or even worse, fail.

"Stock class" rotors with poseur holes and slot are the equivalent to big fins on FWD cars to me. They make you look like you can stop faster, but are truely more of a performance liability than a perfomance advantage.
Slots aren't as risky has holes, but the weakening of the rotor structure by reduction of material, and stress/heat concentrators at the mill points, again aiding in premature warping

I don't know enough about Rotora kits to comment. I'm also aware the Brembo's on the 350Z and STI are Gold... and those are too flashy for me too. I prefer the black... Sorry, I don't like that pale blue Rotora color at all.

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Then why do car manufacturers like Porsche use slotted and/or drilled discs? And why does every aftermarket brake manufacturer use slotted and/or drilled discs on their BBK setups? It is b/c they dissipate heat better. They allow gases trapped in between the pad and disc to escape. Companies like Porsche, BMW, etc., design slots in their bumpers to increase air flow to the brakes to keep temperatures down b/c heat will lessen braking ability.

Now personally I think slotted discs are more functional. You do not risk stress points with the slot nor do you with the holes if the rotor has been machined properly. IMO if you have slots the holes are more aesthetics. And keep in mind that probably that there are two real reasons ppl buy BBK's:aesthetics and function.

If you are concerned with the color too ROTORA offers custom colors (for $300): black, gold, grey, yellow, gunmetal, etc. In fact there a number of OEM's, i.e Infiniti (w/ the G35) who use a color other than black.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced

664 were you ever on norcalevo.net?