Brake Pads - Track and Street

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake Pads - Track and Street

I'm planning on tracking the car about 4 times this summer. I also hope to attend 2-3 autocross events too.

Any recommendations on brake pads? Is there a pad that I can leave on as a daily driver and use it at the track or should I really be looking into a separate set of pads?

BTW - I have a 6MT (so Brembo calipers)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
I'm planning on tracking the car about 4 times this summer. I also hope to attend 2-3 autocross events too.

Any recommendations on brake pads? Is there a pad that I can leave on as a daily driver and use it at the track or should I really be looking into a separate set of pads?

BTW - I have a 6MT (so Brembo calipers)

Thanks in advance!
Check out Cobalt friction. They have several pads to choose from. Their least aggressive pad is still very aggressive. Their most aggressive are a full race pad that require heat before they bite right. Compared to more aggressive of the common Hawk pads, the least aggressive Cobalts are more aggressive. Very high quality and you can choose how much bite you want and the operating heat range. Mine don't make any noise and absolutely no dust yet.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
OEM pads
Old 05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
OEM pads work GREAT (I speak from experience).

What's going to be more important for you is bleeding your brakes and using some racing brake fluid.

I use RacingBrake brake pads (ET300).
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Get new pads for each track day and bed them in before going.

Depending on the track and how you drive, you might have enough pad left to street them for a little while.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Team Owner

I agree with you guys that OEM work very well for an OEM pad. I'm sure they would hold up for auto-x. If he's running at an actual track, something a little more aggrerssive is needed if you expect them to last all year.

Besides, the aftermarket pads will get rid of the dust and quick wear issues.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
One on the right for me

While I haven't used the specific pads you have, every other aftermarket pad has not performed as well as the OEM pads. Speaking strictly from experience and 4 different types of pad. But I've never tracked the car with Cobalt pads.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I agree with you guys that OEM work very well for an OEM pad. I'm sure they would hold up for auto-x. If he's running at an actual track, something a little more aggrerssive is needed if you expect them to last all year.

Besides, the aftermarket pads will get rid of the dust and quick wear issues.
I agree. OEM pads will dust up your rims like crazy, and they'll definitely wear down much quicker.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by subinf
While I haven't used the specific pads you have, every other aftermarket pad has not performed as well as the OEM pads. Speaking strictly from experience and 4 different types of pad. But I've never tracked the car with Cobalt pads.
I can see that. To tell you the truth, I think most Hawk products are junk as are many aftermarket. With OEM Brembos, you are guaranteed quality and you know they have a performance bias. Just the dusting alone shows the factory had performance in mind. I'm sure they were all aware of how quickly they wear and how they dusted yet they still used them. I consider that a good thing.

However, I do believe he would be happy with the Cobalts. Very high quality and you can tailor them for your exact needs. They should hold up to racing abuse and elimnate the need for new pads for every race. They will be slightly harder on rotors but not too bad.

What was it that you didn't like about some of the aftermarket?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. I've never heard of Cobalts so I'll look into it.

Princely - How do you like the ET-300? Right now I'm leaning towards either the ET-500 or ET-700.

IHC - I thought I read in some other threads that you've tracked your car. I know you upgraded to the Rotoras but what pads are you using? How is it holding up at the track?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OEM pads
I just wish the OEM pads weren't so damn expensive.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies. I've never heard of Cobalts so I'll look into it.

Princely - How do you like the ET-300? Right now I'm leaning towards either the ET-500 or ET-700.

IHC - I thought I read in some other threads that you've tracked your car. I know you upgraded to the Rotoras but what pads are you using? How is it holding up at the track?
I've got Cobalts in the rear and whatever comes stock with the Rotoras. They're ceramic and they dust a lot, that's about all I know. With the aggressive Cobalts in the rear, rotor temps have shot up to about 700 degrees under track conditions but they show no signs of fade, dust, or wear.

I'm currently researching using Cobalts in the front Rotoras. Hopefully the Rotora pads have some OEM application, at least I hope they do so I'm not limited to their line of pads. I just had a friend install the Cobalts in another TL with the stock 5at brakes and they are very impressive. I bet they would be even more impressive installed on one of the factory Brembo cars.

I've heard nothing but good about those ET pads mentioned above. They would probably be the safe choice because you know they will work. But if you want to try something different, Cobalts are pretty good too.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Did you go with their CSR pads or did you go with one of their XR series? I called them to get some more information but haven't heard back from them.

I know Marcus at heeltoe is a big fan of the racingbrake rotors and pad and will most likely go with that set up.

What kind of speeds were you reaching and how much did you brake (e.g. 100 mph to 40 mph) to get those rotors to 700 degrees?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
One on the right for me

I can see that. To tell you the truth, I think most Hawk products are junk as are many aftermarket. With OEM Brembos, you are guaranteed quality and you know they have a performance bias. Just the dusting alone shows the factory had performance in mind. I'm sure they were all aware of how quickly they wear and how they dusted yet they still used them. I consider that a good thing.

However, I do believe he would be happy with the Cobalts. Very high quality and you can tailor them for your exact needs. They should hold up to racing abuse and elimnate the need for new pads for every race. They will be slightly harder on rotors but not too bad.

What was it that you didn't like about some of the aftermarket?
Noise. The squeal is rather annoying and highly embarrassing. I actually had a set of rotex something or other that I really liked, I just didn't think they stopped as well as the OEM. I'd get those pads again. The hawk and ET500 do absolutely nothing for me - one in the same as far as I'm concerned. I'm always willing to explore more options, especially because the OEM pads are god damn expensive.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Team Owner

^^^ Did you go with their CSR pads or did you go with one of their XR series? I called them to get some more information but haven't heard back from them.

I know Marcus at heeltoe is a big fan of the racingbrake rotors and pad and will most likely go with that set up.

What kind of speeds were you reaching and how much did you brake (e.g. 100 mph to 40 mph) to get those rotors to 700 degrees?
120 down to 40mph and many, many 80-30-ish stops.

I used the XR2 pads in the rear (not recommended by Cobalt) and I was definately concerned they would be too much for the street with an operating temp starting at 100 degress. But fortunately they work fine. Some light squealing for the first stop or two until they get a little heat in them. Running the NT05 tire I was on the brakes harder than you could ever be on regular tire so it was a pretty good test. I had no idea these tires would grip like they did once hot. Unfortunately I have yet to test them on the front. But seeing how they did not fade at all even with driving that bordered on abusive and 900F.

The ultimate goal is to use the XR3 or CSR up front with the more aggressive pad (higher friction coefficient) in the rear. If you get the chance you should try this even if it's a different brand. A little more rear brake bias will actually shorten your stopping distances.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Team Owner

Noise. The squeal is rather annoying and highly embarrassing. I actually had a set of rotex something or other that I really liked, I just didn't think they stopped as well as the OEM. I'd get those pads again. The hawk and ET500 do absolutely nothing for me - one in the same as far as I'm concerned. I'm always willing to explore more options, especially because the OEM pads are god damn expensive.

How was performance such as brake fade or lack of?

I've found that if you have squeal, many times it's from a lack of bed-in or driving too easy all the time. Slotted (and crossdrilled to an extent) rotors seem to really help too, keeping a nice fresh surface on the pads.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

The hawk and ET500 do absolutely nothing for me - one in the same as far as I'm concerned. I'm always willing to explore more options, especially because the OEM pads are god damn expensive.
I missed this comment...what did you use the ET500's for? 100% street or did you do some auto-x and track days with them? Was there a lot of noise? Did you feel the just needed too much time to warm up on the street?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

oops..i guess i really didn't miss it as you posted it this morning.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

I used the XR2 pads in the rear (not recommended by Cobalt) and I was definately concerned they would be too much for the street with an operating temp starting at 100 degress. But fortunately they work fine. Some light squealing for the first stop or two until they get a little heat in them.
I'm concerned about using too agressive of a pad because I'm in a little different situation than you. I have a 6MT and slow down most of the time by downshifting. Put it this way, it took me 70k+ miles just to wear down my front pads - and they still had some life in them. Rears are fine and I now have about 81k miles on the car.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The new STOPTECH Performance pads are perfect for what you're looking for: street manners with track suitability for the person who only tracks a few times a year.

StopTech Street Performance brake Pads are engineered to meet the demands of high performance driving while maintaining the refinement and comfort expected in everyday
driving conditions. StopTech brake pads combine the benefits of premium street brake pads with aggressive friction formulas suitable for light track day and autocross use.
Para-aramid composites are specially formulated to provide linear response at both cold and hot temperatures, delivering optimum stopping performance over a wide range of driving conditions.

The nice thing too is these are very reasonably priced. The front pads for the TL with Brembos are like less than $80 for the set and the rears are $45. I'll have these pads listed on our website within a week or two.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

I'm concerned about using too agressive of a pad because I'm in a little different situation than you. I have a 6MT and slow down most of the time by downshifting. Put it this way, it took me 70k+ miles just to wear down my front pads - and they still had some life in them. Rears are fine and I now have about 81k miles on the car.
That's impressive. Most of these aggressive "track" pads will last much longer than stock pads. By aggressive I meant potential noise and high working temperature.

I honestly think the Racing Brake pads will fit the bill for you. If I had more miles on the Cobalts I would really push for them. Right now they still look like new but I only have about 15,000 on them and they're on the rear so it doesn't say much. In theory they should outlast stock 2:1 but I haven't personally done it. I can only recommend them based solely on their track performance.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
One on the right for me

How was performance such as brake fade or lack of?

I've found that if you have squeal, many times it's from a lack of bed-in or driving too easy all the time. Slotted (and crossdrilled to an extent) rotors seem to really help too, keeping a nice fresh surface on the pads.
No real complaints.

I followed the bed-in procedure exactly as I was told. Twice.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I've never had OEM pads, the previous owner used some cheap shit, but anyways do OEM pads leave a lot of brake dust? I'm thinking of doing OEM pads and rotors when it comes time, maybe throw in some steel brake lines.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
One on the right for me

OEM pads dust quite a bit. Fair trade given they don't make any noise.