Blue's custom Type-S intake!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blue's custom Type-S intake!

Just finished up my custom intake for my 2008 TL Type-S.

Well, i've had this Apexi Power Intake filter lying around forever, figured i'd try to do something with it rather than just selling it. The Apexi Power intake is the BEST rated filter on the market, it's pricey, but sucks like hell! For this mod, you'll also need the 80mm cast bracket that is pictured and attached to the filter.

Anyway, i'll explain this quickly and simply, the result is a great / stock like look with a very throaty growl and explosive VTEC cutover. Power and throttle increase seem to be improved, not by a whole lot...but enough to notice. Under low to partial throttle it's dead quiet!

- Pop off the top of the intake box, attach the Filter with Bracket to stock intake piping, use a 4" hose clamp to secure.

- I used a small but of foam on either side of the filter to keep it snug and prevent rattling, push the filter down into the bottom part of the intake housing as shown in pic 2.

- Determine the best way to hack apart your filter cover, i used a dremel, then patched it up with some real carbon fiber stuff i had lying around, one side is adhesive. I then used some weather stripping to cover up the edges and some foam on the inside to clean up the look. You can see the finished product below..it's not super pretty, but the best i could do with what i had...i also cut off the left hand portion of the intake cover and cleaned that up with the dremel so I could re-attach the wireloom (not pictured). This part is up to you, so have at it.

- Install everything back up and enjoy!

Apexi filter intalled:

Again, pushed inside the bottom intake box

Customized air filter cover

Another pic of the filter cover.

Filter cover installed

Another shot

Engine bay, nice and clean!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 PM
08 TL Type S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow thats a very nice custom sai
Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
That's a pretty nice set up for what you had lying around! Very clean job!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
A Happily Modded TL-S

i can't stop ripping around now...i went from averaging 21 mpg around town to 13mpg! lol, i need to chill out with redline rips, this thing pulls STRONG now. The noise is just music to my ears...not too loud, but very throaty and mean!

two thumbs up!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blue Rocket that is sweet! I thought my DIY CAI was a clever mod. Yours looks great...and a short ram air with conical filter is the best most effective way tho get the most air, fastest to the intake. Good job.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your engine is breathing air that is ridiculously hot inside the engine compartment? I don't really see how is going to increase performance. It looks pretty cool and you used something that was collecting dust...but I don't get it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
you have to cover the rest of it somehow... it will still suck in hot air
Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

all SRI type intakes take hot air from the engine bay. The only intake that made a difference on my previous Si (K20Z3) was a short ram intake using a slightly modified MAF as well as the Apexi Power filter.

Ultimately you are using a MUCH better filter with increased airflow from the stock filter, so the car and breath easier, the few degrees difference in hot air may negate the power from increased flow. What i'm seeing is absolutely no loss in performance and a much nicer sounding car!

Agreed that it would be even better to fully seal off the filter box, but it's not possible for me as i have no way to fiberglass the enclosure. And there's no way that the filter cover would fit over the Apexi filter as it's too wide. The car still should suck in some cool air from the factory cold air resonator under the car.

I've never been a fan of CAI's as i ALWAYS feel like i lose throttle response.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
v 4910shp/19,600ft-lb v

It's a neat idea. I like the ingenuity.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Originally Posted by Timeless
So your engine is breathing air that is ridiculously hot inside the engine compartment?
Even if you have a CAI collecting cooler air from the outside...by the time the cooler air reaches and goes through the intake it heats up considerably...making little difference. The only exception is at first start up, but when an engine is warmed up...everything gets very, very hot.

The only real air cooler is NOS or meth injection. I ran a water/meth system on my STi...it cooled the cylinders and engine considerably....creating an extra 20-30 hp.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Pro

I agree that everything in the engine compartment does get very hot. Even the CAI housing under the hood. However, unless one is driving at minimal amounts of throttle, I can't imagine the air having sufficient time to heat to the same under hood temperatures. The air is being moved through the intake tube far too fast. A great deal of heat is transferred into intake air through the plenum/intake manifold and thats why we have mods like thermal spacers and the coolant bypass DIY to help fight this heat transfer.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Very great idea. Everythought about a velocity stack though?

I know guys on the 8th make their own copy of this idea...

Old 09-25-2008, 04:28 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

i'm not into hacking apart my car to push more air in there...but so far, so good with the setup i'm rocking...i can tell even after 30+ mins of driving there is no heat soak as i get a LOT more wheelspin when accelerating from a stop.

i havent driven a type-s with a CAI, but so far i'm completely loving this home made intake!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 AM
A Happily Modded TL-S

thought i'd give an update after driving with this thing for a few weeks.

Not a single side effect, no changes in idle, smoothness, hesitation, anything! First gear will now get the tires spinning if i nail the gas at 4500 rpm, never did that before. Highway pulls seem stronger and overall performance seems crisper and stronger. I would honestly say that this had to have bumped the HP / TQ at least 8-10.

I've gone on a lot of longer drives and have not notice any heat soak or loss of power. The sound of the car and the performance gains from this have been great, i couldnt be happier. For anyone who wants a low-profile intake, i would highly recommend the custom apexi SRI.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Instructor

any change in mpg?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 AM
NOT my TL or ME

Originally Posted by KevinH1847
Even if you have a CAI collecting cooler air from the outside...by the time the cooler air reaches and goes through the intake it heats up considerably...making little difference. The only exception is at first start up, but when an engine is warmed up...everything gets very, very hot.

The only real air cooler is NOS or meth injection. I ran a water/meth system on my STi...it cooled the cylinders and engine considerably....creating an extra 20-30 hp.
not true.....

im getting cold air fed into fender well via ramair through A symbol in the grill and it doesnt have an opportunity to heat up due to the excess air flow charging into engine bay.

actually runs cooler now.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by ThezeSkillz
not true.....

im getting cold air fed into fender well via ramair through A symbol in the grill and it doesnt have an opportunity to heat up due to the excess air flow charging into engine bay.

it isn't the A symbol by looking at your photos. It functions by taking in air from the driver side lower grille and then feeding it into the engine. That isn't a Short ram intake... As well the air is going to heat up. The aluminum pipe you are using is basically absorbing the heat and then heating the air as it travels though. If you insulate it and make all the piping aluminum insulated, you will see measurable differences in temp.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

not true.....

Please....internal engine temps are extremely high. Outside air is not running your car cooler. What AFTERMARKET gauges are you looking at? OEM dash lights...please?
If you run your car...for an hour...to normal running temperature. And, pull over, pop the hood...if you can place your palm on the intake manifold WITHOUT burning your hand. Then, I'll believe you. Even touch your airbox, air duct....HOT!
Only in the morning at first start up (when everything is cold) or extremely cold air makes a significant difference. But, don't misconstrue my initial post...CAI make a difference. Just not a lot.

Last edited by ReplayMan; 10-13-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

Originally Posted by BlacuraTLTYPES27
any change in mpg?
mostly city driving... 19mpg. Might be up 1 or 2 mpg this last fillup. the problem is, now that is sounds so sweet, i give it more gas in normal driving!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
NOT my TL or ME

Originally Posted by KevinH1847
Please....internal engine temps are extremely high. Outside air is not running your car cooler. What AFTERMARKET gauges are you looking at? OEM dash lights...please?
If you run your car...for an hour...to normal running temperature. And, pull over, pop the hood...if you can place your palm on the intake manifold WITHOUT burning your hand. Then, I'll believe you. Even touch your airbox, air duct....HOT!
Only in the morning at first start up (when everything is cold) or extremely cold air makes a significant difference. But, don't misconstrue my initial post...CAI make a difference. Just not a lot.

just walked in the door from driving about 2 hours and my temps on and around the block is almost 20 degrees cooler than my average pre-forced induction temps. ran approx. 70-110 for drive.

i have no airbox, but custom short ram is warm to touch .... not hot.

its not the cai that made the huge difference, but the ramair. i really didnt even see a temp change after cai.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue rocket
mostly city driving... 19mpg. Might be up 1 or 2 mpg this last fillup. the problem is, now that is sounds so sweet, i give it more gas in normal driving!
i totally understand, im sure i would be the same way
Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

next fill-up i will drive it normally and see what i get. usually my average around town driving is 17-20. Best i've gotten is 32 mpg on a pretty much all highway trip. (without intake) so i'll be curious to see how it does on a trip like that.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Instructor

soo whats the update?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
A Happily Modded TL-S

mpg around town is consistently 19-21 mpg... i'd say i gained a mpg or 2 with the intake. smooth as glass acceleration and always powerful, i'm still loving it!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
NOT my TL or ME

[QUOTE=blue rocket;10023694]all SRI type intakes take hot air from the engine bay. The only intake that made a difference on my previous Si (K20Z3) was a short ram intake using a slightly modified MAF as well as the Apexi Power filter.

Ultimately you are using a MUCH better filter with increased airflow from the stock filter, so the car and breath easier, the few degrees difference in hot air may negate the power from increased flow. What i'm seeing is absolutely no loss in performance and a much nicer sounding car!

Agreed that it would be even better to fully seal off the filter box, but it's not possible for me as i have no way to fiberglass the enclosure. And there's no way that the filter cover would fit over the Apexi filter as it's too wide. The car still should suck in some cool air from the factory cold air resonator under the car.

Fiberglass you CAN definately do.

I see your skill, but either way, I LOVE YOU!!! you have just given me my intake. I am going to invert it in the wheel well tho.

Thanks again!!

Skillz
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 PM
NOT my TL or ME

Originally Posted by timeless
i agree that everything in the engine compartment does get very hot. Even the cai housing under the hood. However, unless one is driving at minimal amounts of throttle, i can't imagine the air having sufficient time to heat to the same under hood temperatures. The air is being moved through the intake tube far too fast. A great deal of heat is transferred into intake air through the plenum/intake manifold and thats why we have mods like thermal spacers and the coolant bypass diy to help fight this heat transfer.
timeless = intelligent
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM
NOT my TL or ME

Originally Posted by csmeance
it isn't the A symbol by looking at your photos. It functions by taking in air from the driver side lower grille and then feeding it into the engine. That isn't a Short ram intake... As well the air is going to heat up. The aluminum pipe you are using is basically absorbing the heat and then heating the air as it travels though. If you insulate it and make all the piping aluminum insulated, you will see measurable differences in temp.
LMFAO.... so ask me for a pic then. or as Phee did, ask to see it

just saw this, sorry for the delay....

u need a pic? wonderful.
assembled or dissassembled????

how about i shoot my grill off the car.....

be back in 10 with a pic
Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 AM
NOT my TL or ME

My bad, it took me like 20min just to type this......

No disrespect csmenace, but I neither have the time nor the desire to lie on an internet forum (if your implication was such), but I do understand you deal with misleading bs all day..... bothers me tho, so here ya go

so I'm entertaining the possiblity that you are just curious....
plus im a DON, so my swagga neccesitates me posting these pics ....

Gosh the front of my car is filthy (due to excessive driving and extremely busy elective surgery season)

Here is a pic of my front bumper stock air induction, O, my bad nope its the A symbol from the grill.... thick enough sarcasm?

Here is the ingenious part.... treaded link into the funnel to allow airtight fitment and the necessary strength needed at 100mph+ speeds

Cleanliness on this portion of the mod is irrelevant here due to the fact that you can not see it and since now I will be doing a totally different grill design... I am excited to post as soon as it is complete!!

and finally... assembled hose to custom fab'd airbox (not complete or all my pics would have been posted)
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't see any pics...
Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 AM
NOT my TL or ME

I apologize Princelybug, try again now.

I had been storing them in a private album.

Let me know what you think
Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Busting some beats...

VACUUM HOSE FTW! PIMP JUICE! But dang seriously, 20 degrees cooler? Not bad....
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
omg
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 AM
NOT my TL or ME

Originally Posted by AcuraTL_driver
VACUUM HOSE FTW! PIMP JUICE! But dang seriously, 20 degrees cooler? Not bad....
I know, I know.... almost archaic for my style....
I was reading up on the ability for forced induction in this situation to be able to cool a motor.

To be honest, I didnt believe it (thinking to myself more dense air = hotter combustion = hotter motor) hence the need for another method of cooling.....

Anyway, the guy who wrote the forced inductin paper was right. It actually cools the under hood temperature .... well on a 3G TL at least.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:30 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I apologize Princelybug, try again now.

I had been storing them in a private album.

Let me know what you think
It's definitely piqued my interest. How do you know this is helping your car's performance?

Originally Posted by enigmaos
Keep us posted.

+1.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
no offense taken, that is a pretty cool mod, have you though about retrofitting the 07+ acura symbol, that thing is huge, you can fit you hand through the sides, and thus more air. Quick question though, how did you route the piping?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 AM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=csmeance;10283870]no offense taken, that is a pretty cool mod, have you though about retrofitting the 07+ acura symbol, that thing is huge, you can fit you hand through the sides, and thus more air. Quick question though, how did you route the piping?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am very intrested in that also. where does the hose end up?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
[QUOTE=UAwalker808;10284736][QUOTE=csmeance;10283870]no offense taken, that is a pretty cool mod, have you though about retrofitting the 07+ acura symbol, that thing is huge, you can fit you hand through the sides, and thus more air. Quick question though, how did you route the piping?

Yes, I am very intrested in that also. where does the hose end up?
x2
Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Where can I get the 80mm cast bracket? I Googled it with no results.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember pushing the 'I Believe' button on a previous CAI thread discussing ram air effect. Unless the air is actually being compressed, the engine is only going to ingest the volume of air that it needs.

I know there are some aerodynamic effects that will compress air as it would travel through that tube, but to my knowledge these happen at very high speeds, speeds greater than most of us are traveling routinely.

Quick Reply: Blue's custom Type-S intake!