Blower surge, CEL FIXED, YAY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blower surge, CEL FIXED, YAY!

Well after fighting it and fighting it...my blower surge and CEL issues are finally fixed.

Ever since I did my blower install I had the dreaded blower surge as the car went from closed to open loop and lately I've been getting knock sensor circuit codes. The surge got so bad it was like driving with someone learning to drive stick and I would just have to pedal through it. Embarassing.

Well, after talking to Comptech they said that while the instructions say to cut the knock circuit so the AEM can filter it, they never actually modified the knock data. Meanwhile my AEM's knock filter was perhaps bad. Putting the red/green knock circuit wires back to stock as recommended by Comptech (leaving the rest of the AEM install alone) fixed my problems 100%.

IOW, you don't need to cut the knock circuit wire for the blower install and the person I spoke to said they intend to update the blower install instructions to reflect this.

So anyone who is getting knock circuit check engine lights or abnormally bad blower surge may want to try putting the red/green wires back together. Comptech said it fixed a few problems they've heard of and now it's fixed mine.

They also mentioned that they're working with HonData on changing the point in which the cars go from closed to open loop to be rid of the small surge that is left. Good news for us blower folks.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you got your problem fixed. I haven't had a single CEL in the year since I installed the blower. Also, my surging isn't that bad. It's there, but only sometimes. Bring on the Hondata Reflash! I tried to get it last year and got the run around. Hopefully it will come out soon.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Lurker

I believe what surge that I have left is like yours now...there but not "bad". I have a scan tool and I can see when the car goes from closed to open loop and the surge happens just as it changes. So if Hondata can move the closed to open point the surge would definately go away completely.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
OOOOOHHHHHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news, it will be interersting to see if Comptech and Hondata can come together and tune the ECU to work better with the charger. If its done right may be more HP can be gained with the charger.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Instructor

wow....so you have been boosting with no knock sensor? Did you audibly hear any knock(sounds like marbles bouncing around in a tin can)? i surely hope you didnt run it hard like this.......

So Comptech forgot to state that the knock sensor wires needed to be reconnected....wow. especially since their "ACM"(nothing more than a simple MAP clamp) releys heavely on the knock sensor to provide ingition timing retard in boost.

Im suprised you didnt have a major detonation event due to this.

Either way, glad to see you got it worked out before you did have a major detonation event.

CJ
Old 02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quentinc25
Good news, it will be interersting to see if Comptech and Hondata can come together and tune the ECU to work better with the charger. If its done right may be more HP can be gained with the charger.
Maybe? deffinatly! Competech deciding to go it alone was a bad move and has been talked about as such for awhile now.

CJ
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Lurker

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
wow....so you have been boosting with no knock sensor? Did you audibly hear any knock(sounds like marbles bouncing around in a tin can)? i surely hope you didnt run it hard like this.......

So Comptech forgot to state that the knock sensor wires needed to be reconnected....wow. especially since their "ACM"(nothing more than a simple MAP clamp) releys heavely on the knock sensor to provide ingition timing retard in boost.

Im suprised you didnt have a major detonation event due to this.

Either way, glad to see you got it worked out before you did have a major detonation event.

CJ
No, the knock circuit was all hooked up, through the ACM as shown in my blower instructions. However, there is something wrong with my ACM and its knock filter which caused me problems (but not audible detonation).

According to the tech I spoke with at Comptech, the AEM doesn't modify the knock sensor circuit at all and recommended returning the knock circuit to stock (rejoining the wires).

They didn't "forget" anything. Originally when developing the kit, they routed the knock circuit throught the AEM in case they needed to modify the signal. Turns out they didn't need to modify the signal but never bothered to change the instructions removing the step of intercepting the knock signal. However under some rare circumstances, some customers like me have had problems with the AEM knock filter causing these major problems.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

when you say AEM do you mean ACM?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Lurker

Originally Posted by mmcv6
when you say AEM do you mean ACM?
Brain fart...yeah...ACM.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
wouldn't be easier to fix the suging by using an e-manage ultimate thingy to fix it all?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:08 PM
The Boss

Originally Posted by dan.....k
Bring on the Hondata Reflash! I tried to get it last year and got the run around. Hopefully it will come out soon.
that's like saying wanting a 2 year old kid to be 18 years old by next year....

oh no........ more hondata shit LMFAO. No offense Dan, but Hondata is just retarded in my book.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedJack

oh no........ more hondata shit LMFAO. No offense Dan, but Hondata is just retarded in my book.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I like my reflash. I'm sure you'd like yours as well...
Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor

its obvious to me that some of you are oblivious to the Honda world. If you only knew or cared about what Hondata has done for the Honda performance world, you would not even think such nonsense.

You should really do some research before you blurt out garbage like that.

CJ
Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

with the acm for the comptech supercharger just to make sure it does not modify how the knock sensor works? what does the acm modify exactly? just to clamp the voltage, modify the fuel output??
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
The Boss

its obvious to me that some of you are oblivious to the Honda world. If you only knew or cared about what Hondata has done for the Honda performance world, you would not even think such nonsense.

You should really do some research before you blurt out garbage like that.
CJ
Oh I know what Hondata has done for Honda world. You see.... having a good reputation is one thing but failure to produce for a product that a section of the forum requires is another. But what have they done for Acura (TL)????? 2004~2007 to be exact? :cricket: exacccccccctllllllllllly........

Like I said, I can careless about the surge problem, this is a car that I need to boost for daily driving. It's enough power and I'm only keeping this for another year or 2 before I purchase my corvette. I mean........ lmfao...... it doesn't take 2 focking years to reflash a supercharger does it?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
OOOOOHHHHHH

Oh I know what Hondata has done for Honda world. You see.... having a good reputation is one thing but failure to produce for a product that a section of the forum requires is another. But what have they done for Acura (TL)????? 2004~2007 to be exact? :cricket: exacccccccctllllllllllly........

Like I said, I can careless about the surge problem, this is a car that I need to boost for daily driving. It's enough power and I'm only keeping this for another year or 2 before I purchase my corvette. I mean........ lmfao...... it doesn't take 2 focking years to reflash a supercharger does it?
Wait until you get a Vette! You will be taking it back the dealer every couple of months to have something replaced and they will have to order it because everything is never in stock and always on national back order because the same things keep breaking on all the Vettes but GM will not recognize it as a part that needs to be recalled. I have had 2 C6's and had several stupid issues that couldn't be fixed for several weeks because the parts where on national back order. Door seal, seat rails, hood shock, seat power switch on top of all of that I had one where there was a possibility that the steel part of the roof could blow off. Do you want to know how GM fixed the issue? Glue, sound like a great fix to me. Vettes are great if you want a weekend car that will haul but if you drive it everyday it will get old quick. I think everything in those cars rattled and drove me crazy.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Lurker

Originally Posted by mmcv6
with the acm for the comptech supercharger just to make sure it does not modify how the knock sensor works? what does the acm modify exactly? just to clamp the voltage, modify the fuel output??

According to the tech I spoke with at Comptech, they had intended to have the ability to change the knock sensor signal but ended up not needing to. The knock sensor wire (red and green I think) does not need to be spliced through the ACM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Racer

Has anyone else actually tried this on their ACM? I'm on my 2nd one, and I'm afraid to screw w/ it till I know for sure this thing will work
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Lurker

Originally Posted by encrypted03
Has anyone else actually tried this on their ACM? I'm on my 2nd one, and I'm afraid to screw w/ it till I know for sure this thing will work
Call Comptech and speak with a tech. They'll tell ya what they're doing with the ACM and may be able to help you with the cause of your failed units. For me it was a bad knock filter but didn't bother replaceing the ACM since the knock circuit in the ACM isn't needed.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Lurker

(916) 939-9118
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Racer

I'll give them a call later this week, but when I had the same problem w/ my 1st ACM, they told me I need to buy a new one. The only issue I'm having with this ACM is the surging.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Lurker

Originally Posted by encrypted03
I'll give them a call later this week, but when I had the same problem w/ my 1st ACM, they told me I need to buy a new one. The only issue I'm having with this ACM is the surging.
My car still surges, but it's barely noticable and people who ride with me only notice it if I'm point it out to them. Before the car surged so bad it could only be described as "bucking"; as if I was driving a stick car and was just learning to drive stick. Then the ACM knock filter finally failed to the point that I was getting check engine lights. That is when they said that the ACM doesn't modify the knock signal or need the knock signal wire put into the ACM. The tech then added they were intending to change the blower install instructions to remove the note to splice the knock wire.

Putting the knock wire back together so that it was stock "magically" fixed every problem I had. It was like driving a totally different car. I cleared the knock circuit error code that was triggering the check engine light and it hasn't come back.

I would put the knock circuit back to stock. It won't hurt according to Comptech; it can only help if it's the knock filter in the ACM causing your problem.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Instructor

The surge you guys speak of is not a good thing. It is directly related to bad tuning. Something is not right. May be the closed open loop issue. Which is a huge one. i would know more if i could get ahold of a S/Ced TL in my area for testing.

CJ
Old 02-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe? deffinatly! Competech deciding to go it alone was a bad move and has been talked about as such for awhile now.

CJ
FYI - Comptech did not "Go it alone". You would be surprised to know how much factory support they have.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

check my other post about hondata. I will be the 06 test car since my supercharger will go on soon, and so after doug owner of hondata will test it out on my car. soon after should be for sale. so no more surge etc
Old 06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think i might have the same issue
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Skeedatl, so is all you did was uncross the wires?

I don't think i can PM u.