Best brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Best brake pads

Im going with the racingbrake tWo piece rotors up front and im wondering what my best option is for pads. Im looking for a good bite(obvious) low dust. I here that ebc makes a good ceramic brake pad, i wanna hear some input and opinion. I track my car on a road course a few times a year so that will affect my choice of pad. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going with the EBC Redstuff ceramic pads myself. Mind you I don't have a BBK, but I have heard good things about these pads too.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Racer

Red stuff is more aggresive than yellow stuff? How do they compare to rotora pads?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Locomaaan
Im going with the racingbrake tWo piece rotors up front and im wondering what my best option is for pads. Im looking for a good bite(obvious) low dust. I here that ebc makes a good ceramic brake pad, i wanna hear some input and opinion. I track my car on a road course a few times a year so that will affect my choice of pad. Thanks in advance.
i would go with a RB pad if i were you, especially if you are going with their high-end rotor. they designed them to work together. i only have the 1-piece rotor, but i went with the ET500 pad and i love them. low dust and great bite. and from others that have had them longer, i hear they last a long while...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I have no idea how the rotora pads perform, because I've never tried them before. IIRC EBC yellowstuff is stronger than the redstuff but it dusts a lot more; they're designed for track use.

I've heard the RB ET500s are excellent as well, and I believe they come with your RB BBK anyway.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 for RB ET series pad. For regular, spirited street driving...I would go with ET300's, . For more aggressive, motorsport racing...ET500.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Racer

Sweet, thanx for the feedback guys very much appreciated. Ive decided to go with the ET500s.

One more question. I got a pair of ss brake lines that i am gonna install on the front, should i do the same for the front?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Locomaaan
Sweet, thanx for the feedback guys very much appreciated. Ive decided to go with the ET500s.

One more question. I got a pair of ss brake lines that i am gonna install on the front, should i do the same for the front?

ET500 = Good choice.

Ran a set on a track day with some Stop-Tech slotted. Also with SS lines. Still had brake fade. I think I needed higher temp fluid - DOT 5.1/Motul 600. Your aluminum hats should help with cooling but I'd still do a high temp fluid.

Might as well do the SS lines front and rear - they come as a set for ~$100.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
i would go with a RB pad if i were you, especially if you are going with their high-end rotor. they designed them to work together. i only have the 1-piece rotor, but i went with the ET500 pad and i love them. low dust and great bite. and from others that have had them longer, i hear they last a long while...
low dust and great bite usually means, rotor wear!!!!!

so thats a choice ppl make, sometimes without even knowing... too bad everyone wants the best of everything... STOPPING POWER, LOW DUST, LONG LIFE,

there's no combining the 3...
something's gotta wear, and its either the pad more than the rotor, or the rotor more than the pad (figure of speech. it wouldn't be good if rotor wore out completely before the pad, but you get what i mean, to the point where it looks like the pad's been griding down on the rotor so hard and deep, yet the pad is still healthy) , or both equally.... the latter usually is from having the best setup, thus creating best braking... if anyone's aware of how good BMW brakes are and why.... they're not even equipped with 4 or 6 piston calipers, they've just been with one big piston, cast iron calipers... but the reason they're good (and that's also the reason why you gotta change them so ofter, both rotors and pads) is because they're made of soft material, and matched perfectly resulting in extreme bite from both, the rotor and the pad

matching the 2 is very important.... i dont know all these companies...all these powerslot, powerstop, powerslut, powerhore.... bunch of fancy names, power this and power that.... they make a rotor mixed with all these kinds of metals and fibers, its almost like reading the ingredients of a processed food.... yet none of them recommend what type of pads to actually use with certain type of rotors....why? cause they dont care and they're full of shit.

the reason why TLs with brembo front calipers worked so good is because of rotor/pad match, more than the actual fact of 4 piston caliper (it helps, but its not entirely the reason) . both the pads and the rotors were brembo....yes the pads wore out and made a lot of dust, but breaking was superb, and very very responsive (dont forget the TL is front heavy, during braking its even more front heavy, and especially with stock suspension, even more front heavy...all the nose diving, extra weight shifting etc) for a 3500 car on 235 tires.

so when u see these products, with such intimidating names, race pads and race rotors and blah blah blah... dont believe it all...
race pads aren't even supposed to last!!!!!!! they're made to grab for one race, thats it.

Speaking of EBC...the green pads, completely destroy stock brembo rotors on the TL.... and anything above green, wont even work well, because they need the extra heat to grab...so response stinks.

why donsnt anyone ever....and i dont even see this... get brembo crossdrilled/slotted rotors, with brembo pads?
why doesn't anyone get pads and rotors made from the same company?

its always trying to get the nice fancy rotors, that you dont even know what they're made of...and then try to match them with pads that dont make dust....

just because someone told you, or u read somewhere that a certain pad worked wonders on their car... what type of rotors was he using? what kinda clamping force does his brake system offers (in case its not a TL)....fluid. tire sizes, fwd or rwd

u need to find out on how to match rotors and pads... you can't just go "ceramic" sometimes semi-metalic are better.... and these advertised super fade resistant pads, that grab like the hand of god... usually metalic pads are better at fade resis, than ceramic... while one pad offers great bite... clamp it one to many times, and its DONE!

or too harsh of a pad, grinds down ur nice looking crossdrilled/slotted rotor, and make it look like swiss cheese

there's no CLEAN SUPERB BRAKES....
you upgrade ur brakes, to supposedly and low dust pad, and yes it prob is low dust...but at the same time it feels like it grabs so hard, better than ur last set (well, that's cause ur last set was worn out, for one. and second, u just got new pads..) by the time they start to wear out, ull forget how ur previous set felt, and even the new one in the beginning... and do it all over again.

didnt mean to come off like that...not to bash on anyone or anything.... just a few things to consider!
The following 2 users liked this post by Opel:
Bx176 (08-13-2011), Sohan24 (01-23-2018)
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Opel
Speaking of EBC...the green pads, completely destroy stock brembo rotors on the TL.... and anything above green, wont even work well, because they need the extra heat to grab...so response stinks.
True.

The stock brembo pads are made of a much softer material which is why they wear out so quickly, but it also means they work well even when cold. Ceramic brake pads generally perform poorly until they're warmed up, but they are indeed low-dusting (and the dust is light coloured as well).
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Racer

So i guess a softer pad like et300 might better for everysay use?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

I agree totally with Opel...everything he stated. Especially, sticking with a the same rotor/pad combo.
Locomaan...since your up North, you also have to be concerned with a pad's temp. performance. A lot of race pads wont get their bite until heated up. I know a lot of guys with Hawks...and when they start their car in the am and pull away. The pads seem to slip or not stop as good...until minutes later they're at their proper temp..
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
i dont really like OPEL, but i agree with him LOL

i have powerslot slotted rotors along with HAWK HPS pads.....braking is amazing but shit load of dust.....after 20K miles on that setup, the rotors look perfect, no damage or not much wearing out, but the pads are gone!!!! the brake dust that came off that pads made my black rims look gray !!!!

am myself thinking of switching the pads and was thinking which one to go with.....since my rotors are used to the hawk HPS, i was thinking of going with the same setup !!! but since it gives out a lot of brake dust, i was thinking of going with some ceramic pads.....with low dust and low bite and low noise !!!! but am worried about my rotors with ceramic pads !!!!!

well autozone has lifetime warranty on their GOLD CMAX Ceramic brake pads, so u take them in whenever and get a set of brand new pads !!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Over in another thread...about pads. A member is complaining about ceramic pads...because they are harder...less dust but they squeal. I think that would drive me nuts more.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Full of water...

low dust and great bite usually means, rotor wear!!!!!

there's no CLEAN SUPERB BRAKES....
you upgrade ur brakes, to supposedly and low dust pad, and yes it prob is low dust...but at the same time it feels like it grabs so hard, better than ur last set (well, that's cause ur last set was worn out, for one. and second, u just got new pads..) by the time they start to wear out, ull forget how ur previous set felt, and even the new one in the beginning... and do it all over again.

when i changed my brakes out the olds were still in great condition. they were stock rotors with aspec pads.

here is the description for the RB pads:
AGGRESSIVE STREET: ET500 - This compound is offered for the adventurous drivers who:
- Do not like loud squeaking
- Do not like a lot of dust
- Do like extended rotor life

ET500 Series Characteristics:

* Excellent Modulation
* Consistent friction and torque output
* Run from ambient temperature (even in cold winter morning)
* Extended life if they are used under the temperature guide
* Affordable pricing

Which describes both low dust and extended rotor life...compared to what, i dont know, but from what i was told this combo should have a long life together.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey new guy here!!! I plan on getting my first TL by Friday and am really excited.It is a bit of a 180 for me because I am trying to sell my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.Apparently it is not so easy to sell a 500 horse-1000ft/lb-trq monster!!! But anyway about the brakes,I put a set of EBC Sport rotors(copper/iron alloy drilled/dimpled)and their Green stuff pads and they bring my 7500# tank to a stop pretty darn quick.100 times better than stock
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

when i changed my brakes out the olds were still in great condition. they were stock rotors with aspec pads.

here is the description for the RB pads:
AGGRESSIVE STREET: ET500 - This compound is offered for the adventurous drivers who:
- Do not like loud squeaking
- Do not like a lot of dust
- Do like extended rotor life

ET500 Series Characteristics:

* Excellent Modulation
* Consistent friction and torque output
* Run from ambient temperature (even in cold winter morning)
* Extended life if they are used under the temperature guide
* Affordable pricing

Which describes both low dust and extended rotor life...compared to what, i dont know, but from what i was told this combo should have a long life together.
no one likes squeeling, no one likes dust, and everyone wants their money to last... but think about it...how true can that be? while they can make a pad that lasts long...its not hard... and a pad that doesnt wear, wont make that much dust...so what's wearing?

thats just a marketing tool....and its very eye catching.

but i think my choice would be, and small spray bottle filled with water and soap, and a nice soft towel, tucked away in the trunk....and ur 5-10 mins away from cleaner shiny rims...and im sure everyone can squeeze those 5-10 mins out of their lives, every few days
Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Full of water...

no one likes squeeling, no one likes dust, and everyone wants their money to last... but think about it...how true can that be? while they can make a pad that lasts long...its not hard... and a pad that doesnt wear, wont make that much dust...so what's wearing?

thats just a marketing tool....and its very eye catching.

but i think my choice would be, and small spray bottle filled with water and soap, and a nice soft towel, tucked away in the trunk....and ur 5-10 mins away from cleaner shiny rims...and im sure everyone can squeeze those 5-10 mins out of their lives, every few days

for a decent "performing" rotor and pad, how long is the typical life for each...in miles? i know it varies, just looking for a ballpark. thanks!

just trying to get an idea for when its time to change again, and how long a long lasting and/or high performance setup varies. like i said before, i had stock AT rotors and aspec pads. i swapped them out at around 40k miles and the pads still had a bunch of life to them. i thought those were decent as far as stopping power, but i am not sure how much the rotors were worn in that time. the RB setup was an improvement but i guess until its time to change again i wont know how well they match up.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I think the OEM pads are the best ones out
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM

my hawk hps pads lasted me 20-25K miles of spirited driving.....towards the end there was a lottt of brake dust.....it squealed only when it got down to the shims.....

so overall it was amazing braking wise, low dust, no squeal.....didnt last as long as i would expect it to but then cant get everything in one pack right !!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 AM

plus also depends on what kind of brake fluid you are using.....

OPEL: would you go for Motul RBF600 or Motul 5.1 ???
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by swoosh
i dont really like OPEL, but i agree with him LOL

i have powerslot slotted rotors along with HAWK HPS pads.....braking is amazing but shit load of dust.....after 20K miles on that setup, the rotors look perfect, no damage or not much wearing out, but the pads are gone!!!! the brake dust that came off that pads made my black rims look gray !!!!

am myself thinking of switching the pads and was thinking which one to go with.....since my rotors are used to the hawk HPS, i was thinking of going with the same setup !!! but since it gives out a lot of brake dust, i was thinking of going with some ceramic pads.....with low dust and low bite and low noise !!!! but am worried about my rotors with ceramic pads !!!!!

well autozone has lifetime warranty on their GOLD CMAX Ceramic brake pads, so u take them in whenever and get a set of brand new pads !!!!
i dont hold grudges, and i hope neither do you!

I think ceramics will ruin ur rotors....i personally like my rotors to last for 2 pads lol... but look, u ran the ferro carbon compound pads, and ur rotors are fine...and u were happy with it...kinda try and stay with it....why dont u try the stock brembo pads? <<<< i absolutely love the response of these pads...i have yet to come across something as responsive. But look, if you dont track ur car, there's really no reason to go with the harshest pads...id stay around the setup u had, and not risk the rotors for some dust reduction
Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

for a decent "performing" rotor and pad, how long is the typical life for each...in miles? i know it varies, just looking for a ballpark. thanks!

just trying to get an idea for when its time to change again, and how long a long lasting and/or high performance setup varies. like i said before, i had stock AT rotors and aspec pads. i swapped them out at around 40k miles and the pads still had a bunch of life to them. i thought those were decent as far as stopping power, but i am not sure how much the rotors were worn in that time. the RB setup was an improvement but i guess until its time to change again i wont know how well they match up.
40k miles...thats a long fucking timeeee lol

honestly, it mainly depends on how u drive....ive gone through a set of pads and rotors, twice in a year!!! but then ive pulled 2 years on same rotors, and changed pads twice, and then ive pulled 2 years on same rotors and pads.

ive had the stocks, had EBC, HPS, a whole bunch of crap...my best rotors are the DiscItalia slotted/cross drilled rotors...i think they run for about $370 for the fronts...a year now, there's no wear signs, and i cannot warp them lol
im using HPS's with them, they grab, but ill say this again, NOTHING BEATS THE RESPONSE OF THE STOCK BREMBO PAD
Old 08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

plus also depends on what kind of brake fluid you are using.....

OPEL: would you go for Motul RBF600 or Motul 5.1 ???
Castrol SRF
ATE super blue racing
Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Full of water...

40k miles...thats a long fucking timeeee lol

honestly, it mainly depends on how u drive....ive gone through a set of pads and rotors, twice in a year!!! but then ive pulled 2 years on same rotors, and changed pads twice, and then ive pulled 2 years on same rotors and pads.

ive had the stocks, had EBC, HPS, a whole bunch of crap...my best rotors are the DiscItalia slotted/cross drilled rotors...i think they run for about $370 for the fronts...a year now, there's no wear signs, and i cannot warp them lol
im using HPS's with them, they grab, but ill say this again, NOTHING BEATS THE RESPONSE OF THE STOCK BREMBO PAD
haha, thanks for the response i guess this just means you drive your car a BIT harder than I ...but i do know the brembos eat pads and rotors so its no surprise, and its a issue i dont have to deal with fortunately/unfortunately.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM

holy shit !!!! castrol SRF is like 80 bucks a liter !!!!

i dont really track my car !!!! should i still go for it ???

or ATE super blue racing....???
Old 08-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

holy shit !!!! castrol SRF is like 80 bucks a liter !!!!

i dont really track my car !!!! should i still go for it ???

or ATE super blue racing....???
lol.... ATE Super blue, same as Motul 5.1... ATE is cheaper i believe...but how often u gonna replace it, ya know...once a year
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM

I know and i wouldnt mind doing that if I track my car !!! i drive in a spirited manner and thats it !!!!

I think will go for ATE super blue, its wet boiling temp is 20C more than motul 5.1
Old 08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

haha, thanks for the response i guess this just means you drive your car a BIT harder than I ...but i do know the brembos eat pads and rotors so its no surprise, and its a issue i dont have to deal with fortunately/unfortunately.
this is what i recommend.... for the brembo calipers... cross drilled/slotted front brembo (i think tirerack has them for about $220 for the front pair) , with stock brembo pads, and ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid.

the DiscItalia rotors have been great, but im just attached to brembo lol.
i have to however try Discitalia Titanium Kevlar pads, or the Hyper Ceramic

brembo is brembo and will always be brembo lol

here's a pic of the DiscItalia Rotor, theyre also made in Slotted only

Old 08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know and i wouldnt mind doing that if I track my car !!! i drive in a spirited manner and thats it !!!!

I think will go for ATE super blue, its wet boiling temp is 20C more than motul 5.1
right but they're compareable...go with that, it will be plenty fine... I threw the Castrol in there to be funny lol

speaking of which, i gotta change my fluid and bleed the whole freaking system, change my rear rotors and pads..... and i can't wait to get rid of the HPS pads in the front...i miss the stock brembo pad response!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 PM

right but they're compareable...go with that, it will be plenty fine... I threw the Castrol in there to be funny lol

speaking of which, i gotta change my fluid and bleed the whole freaking system, change my rear rotors and pads..... and i can't wait to get rid of the HPS pads in the front...i miss the stock brembo pad response!!!!
any website you wanna let me in on for the brembo pads ??? since u saying so much about them imma try it out !!!

Thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

i honestly dont know a specific website...i bought mine through dealer when i needed them...i always ran them all out...and what i wanted them, i wanted them yesterday, so ordering something online for me was not an option. just do a bit of search online, youll come across them... btw what calipers u have in the front?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:49 PM

i have my stock calipers, I have a 05TL 5AT....i did paint them black but well doesnt make them better performance-wise LOL !!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have my stock calipers, I have a 05TL 5AT....i did paint them black but well doesnt make them better performance-wise LOL !!!!
rofl...then i dont know if brembo makes pads for u...crap grrrrr, i thought u had brembo calipers...i doubt they make them...never seen them
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM

^^^ i still dont like u LOL....you got my hopes high I was like, am not sure if brembo's make pads for my whip.....thats why i asked you for the website LOL !!!!

HAWK HPS it is !!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

discitalia titanium kevlar lol, or hyper ceramic, they make them for ur car.... check out brakeworld.com only place that sells them...theyve been kinda exclusive....and are made in Italy!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Racer

well i think i still wanna go with the Racing brake 2 piece front rotors and now im even considering the stock brembo pads. now that i think about it i dont really have anything bad to say aabout the stock pads except that they dust A LOT!!!! but other than that they are great and only $80cdn for the front set at the dealership so they are readily available localy.

this has turned into a really good thread btw
Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
One on the right for me

^ - I have the RB 2 piece rotors with OEM pads and I have no complaints whatsoever
Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
looking through these threads looking to swap out Hawk HPS brakes due to the squeal and enormous dust....RB ET500 pads seems to be the recommended choice now....question is, are they worth the $200 price tag?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM
One on the right for me

I got rid of the god damn awful hawk pads and went back to OEM and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads