Bear with me here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
First I'll say hello and bear with me on a few things. I'm new to this Forum and Acura's. As for the name TLove it, I just couldn't be creative. Anyway, I bought my 04 TL Last February and it is my daily driver. I'm in sales and drive A LOT, so I bought an Automatic. Looking for some kind of mod but not too $$$. Last car was an Audi A4 that ended up with a Super Charger and not being a daily driver. Can anyone give me any opinions on http://www.gfchips.com/acuratl.aspx
I realize chips or flash programs don't do much for NA Motors, but maybe someones had good luck with them here.

Thanks

p.s. I also realize 60hp is a load of Horse SHAT. I'm just looking for a little gain maybe with an exhaust as well,

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-04-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Welcome!

This thread will be locked. You'll also get slapped for not searching.

But this has been beaten to death. There is no legit chip for a 3G TL.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Honestly with all the info here on the forum your almost guaranteed to find whatever you need with the search button (although it does take some getting use to).

Depending if you dont mind sacrificing a little comfort (sound and smell) the PCDs (Pre Cat Deletes) are thebest bang to HP ratio. For $345 we can add 20whp to our TL's. Next to that not sacrificing any comfort would be a Jpipe which adds 10+whp depending on the company you choose. Specifically I would sugguest searching PCD, Jpipe, and Richie V6. Richie V6 is a vendor here that makes amazing parts for our cars at only a fraction of a price. Hope this helps!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Welcome!

This thread will be locked. You'll also get slapped for not searching.

But this has been beaten to death. There is no legit chip for a 3G TL.

We try to save the bitch slapping for more experienced members.

TLove It! check here for some ideas: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/performance-modifications-tl-owners-701772/
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
We try to save the bitch slapping for more experienced members.

TLove It! check here for some ideas: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701772
Thanks you guys for the information!
Sorry KN_TL, I'm not too good with finding info by searching, I tend to jump the gun and ask questions first.
donnieb83, I'm not sure about exhaust, as I'm on the road a lot and don't know if I can deal with too much noise or drone on long highway drives.(I'm gettin too old) I've been through quite a few cars and know that there isn't a whole lot for inexpensive mods but 20hp would be pretty good. Maybe I'll go the exhaust route after all. Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^^ Here....Bearcat and I will demonstrate bitch-slapping on KN_TL-watch!

Anyway, tints are the best first mod. Then, since you have a Base TL, an Aspec Kit gives your car a fantastic look. But the Kit's are somewhat pricey, but well worth it.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Anyway, tints are the best first mod. Then, since you have a Base TL, an Aspec Kit gives your car a fantastic look. But the Kit's are somewhat pricey, but well worth it.
Thanks Steven, your car loks MINT! I have an 04 Silver (best color IMO) with Nav. I think for now I just want to squeeze a little mor HP rather than do any exterior mods. My car gets beat up on the road and I'd hate to make it look nice to get trashed. Some day I'd like a Type-S
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 PM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
u might as well get this and put it into the intake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Torna...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by KidChenz89

Just because he fell for the chip, doesn't mean he's a ricer. :lol:

Edit: oops. Thought that was one of those fake turbo sound things.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 05-04-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM

I would definitely recommend the Jpipe as your first performance mod. It doesn't make your car any louder and you will never notice its there......well, until WOT. The power these things give are amazing. As far as the exhaust, they are over $1K for our cars and the drone/rasp can get annoying.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnieb83
I would definitely recommend the Jpipe as your first performance mod. It doesn't make your car any louder and you will never notice its there......well, until WOT. The power these things give are amazing. As far as the exhaust, they are over $1K for our cars and the drone/rasp can get annoying.
This 100%. Stay away from cheap chips with crazy claims. There isn't a chip for our car worth a dollar.

A jpipe on the other hand will give you a noticeable amount of power AND won't change sound very much at all on its own.

I notice you are worried about drone from loud exhaust. If you just get a jpipe and leave the exhaust stock you probably won't be able to tell a difference in sound but will gain probably around 15hp/tq.

Richie's v3 jpipe is regarded as the best performing one out right now but it deletes the 3rd cat to achieve this. If keeping all your cats is something you want/need to do you should look into ATLP or XLR8 jpipes.

I am FINALLY installing my jpipe tomorrow (and exhaust). Talking about jpipes is getting me excited.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Superstressed

Thats pretty funny. I guess bieng the noob I've gotta get flamed right? Like I said in my first post, I'm aware that chips really only make a difference with forced induction ie. Turbo'd cars mainly. Believe it or not, I had a VW Corrado VR6 N.A. that a chip did produce a noticeble gain. But
Bleak and donnieb83, I think I will do the jpipe for sure. I will do some research on which one, but it sounds like the best option. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Ouch
Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLove It!
Thats pretty funny. I guess bieng the noob I've gotta get flamed right? Like I said in my first post, I'm aware that chips really only make a difference with forced induction ie. Turbo'd cars mainly. Believe it or not, I had a VW Corrado VR6 N.A. that a chip did produce a noticeble gain. But
Bleak and donnieb83, I think I will do the jpipe for sure. I will do some research on which one, but it sounds like the best option. Thanks again for the help.
There is an ECU coming out that will eventually be tuned to bolt on's or can be installed by a tuner and tweaked on a dyno. Not sure where Rodney will start with this but he is finishing up the FI tunes for us and should have time to start looking at the non-FI builds.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM
AZ Community Team

.... Believe it or not, I had a VW Corrado VR6 N.A. that a chip did produce a noticeble gain. .....
There are certainly a lot of cars that benefit from chips/tune software - BMW, Mustang's, etc.

Up until now there hasn't been anything for the TL (besides snake oil); not enough demand, I guess. Hondata dropped the project some time ago. APEXI and AEM (iirc) have kind of "partial" systems, not full applications and good maps.

As KN_TL mentioned, someone is finally coming out with a tune device that might actually work.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 AM

Glad I could help! Check out the link below. It's our 3G TL Garage that has links to several DIY's and just a lot of info in general about our TL's!

>>> 3G TL Service Department (AKA GARAGE): Questions & Answers- CHECK HERE FIRST!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the intake for starters, you can always sell it if you don't like it, just a few bolts.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info DonnieB83. My Injen CAI just arrived in the mail yesterday, but once installed I will look into your other options. Thanks for the RichieV6 connection!

Originally Posted by donnieb83
Welcome to the forum! Honestly with all the info here on the forum your almost guaranteed to find whatever you need with the search button (although it does take some getting use to).

Depending if you dont mind sacrificing a little comfort (sound and smell) the PCDs (Pre Cat Deletes) are thebest bang to HP ratio. For $345 we can add 20whp to our TL's. Next to that not sacrificing any comfort would be a Jpipe which adds 10+whp depending on the company you choose. Specifically I would sugguest searching PCD, Jpipe, and Richie V6. Richie V6 is a vendor here that makes amazing parts for our cars at only a fraction of a price. Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM

^^^Nice! Trust me I know how it is being new to a forum and having a million questions! I learn something new on here all the time!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
05 SSM

It was a joke btw.. Well u do have to understand u have to first search the forums before posting...well vw and any other European can just unlock their ecu easily but our cars are not known for any major performance only a few numbers members in this forum started try to get the ecu so u can tuned a turbo for higher numbers/safe. Like KN_TL mention there will be a ecu coming out soon but for now a little "Ebay performance module chip" is not gonna do anything..

Welcome to the forum TLove It!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Superstressed

I'll say thanks again to everyone. I wish that I had a TL that I could mod and tune the hell out of. Being that my car is a daily driver with high miles, I think I'll do the Jpipe and if Rodney or someone comes out with a proven tune it might be worth that too. As far as cold air intakes, I'm not sold on them. On Audis the CAI showed lower numbers on the dyno. They typically just suck in more engine heated air unless it is a true ram air setup.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Racer

Hey TLove It, your PM inbox is full so I'll answer your PM here:

Hey man,

I have a brand new rv6 v3 jpipe sitting in my living room in its box. putting it on tomorrow along with greddy cat back exhaust. I won't be able to tell you how the jpipe by itself changed sound but honestly a jpipe won't change sound much.

It's possible it'd be a LITTLE bit more raspy because it deletes the 3rd cat but if you still have precats I doubt it'd be noticeable.

If you want I can let you know if I have rasp after tomorrows install.

The main source of rasp is getting rid of precats though and I'll still have mine so I'm hoping it won't be raspy. Greddy exhaust is really raspy without precats as far as I know so when I do PCD's I'll have to weld in a resonator probably.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 PM
05 SSM

Originally Posted by Bleak
Hey TLove It, your PM inbox is full so I'll answer your PM here:

Hey man,

I have a brand new rv6 v3 jpipe sitting in my living room in its box. putting it on tomorrow along with greddy cat back exhaust. I won't be able to tell you how the jpipe by itself changed sound but honestly a jpipe won't change sound much.

It's possible it'd be a LITTLE bit more raspy because it deletes the 3rd cat but if you still have precats I doubt it'd be noticeable.

If you want I can let you know if I have rasp after tomorrows install.

The main source of rasp is getting rid of precats though and I'll still have mine so I'm hoping it won't be raspy. Greddy exhaust is really raspy without precats as far as I know so when I do PCD's I'll have to weld in a resonator probably.
The Rv6 v3 with atlp non res rasp... but i added a aero 2.5 res on to it it rasp only when on a cold start afterwards it sounds sexy
Old 05-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Racer

The Rv6 v3 with atlp non res rasp... but i added a aero 2.5 res on to it it rasp only when on a cold start afterwards it sounds sexy
yea like always rasp isnt hard to fix. just get a resonator
Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Superstressed

Thanks for the tip. Whats your opinion on CAI. I know in my experience they have robbed power.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
AZ Community Team

Any of the "prefered" CAI (Injen, Fujita, AEM, AEM V2) will not rob power and will sound good. Don't expect much in gains - maybe a few WHP.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Any of the "prefered" CAI (Injen, Fujita, AEM, AEM V2) will not rob power and will sound good. Don't expect much in gains - maybe a few WHP.
I kind of figured more for sound than anything.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Racer

After installing rv6 v3 jpipe and greddy exhaust yesterday, I can confirm there is SOME rasp at high rpm. On the low end it sounds GREAT. big power gains too. I don't even mind the slight amount of rasp because it's only at the very very top.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Superstressed

Originally Posted by Bleak
After installing rv6 v3 jpipe and greddy exhaust yesterday, I can confirm there is SOME rasp at high rpm. On the low end it sounds GREAT. big power gains too. I don't even mind the slight amount of rasp because it's only at the very very top.
Good Deal! I'm glad everything went well for you.
Ordering my Jpipe tomorrow. It's a start.