Auto trans upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
Nice to see someone really going through with an upgrade.

Please keep us informed of your progress. I know a few others including myself will definitely follow your footsteps if all goes well.
I will definitely keep everyone posted. Sorry to hear about your engine, hopefully its just a ring land.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

I received my Alto rebuild kit this week. Only the low, first and second clutches are the high energy green third, fourth and fifth are OEM style paper clutches. I am looking into get some Raybestos frictions to compare. I will start a thread once I get the tranny out.

The following users liked this post:
snitko23 (01-21-2019)
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
I received my Alto rebuild kit this week. Only the low, first and second clutches are the high energy green third, fourth and fifth are OEM style paper clutches. I am looking into get some Raybestos frictions to compare. I will start a thread once I get the tranny out.

Nice. It's too bad that's all they offer, it would've been nice to have 3rd, 4th, and 5th as the high energy but it's better than nothing. With the Type F fluid you'll have no problems with holding power anyway.

Are those are the stock steels?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

I remember that thread and I look at it every so often. Earlier, I checked the profile of the OP from that post and he has not been on AZINE since july. He has his email address listed so I just emailed him earlier with hopes of getting some updates on how his trans is doing

I trust your calculations since they have been spot on in the past. If upgrading the trans is really such a big issue, and my quest for more power/speed becomes even more addicting, I may just start having to shed weight since that will be the easiest and most affordable option

Im sure you have seen these scans in the manual but maybe IHC and others havent. Going by these scans, is there any valuable info that can be used for increasing line pressure?

Notice the last line..."line pressure reaches its maximum when the stator torque reaction reaches its maximum"

What does that mean? Is there a preset "maximum" that is already programmed into the ecm? Is there a possibility that the maximum is an unknown number and possibly a number that can handle a huge power increase like we have seen from my car without a failure?

I know IHC had some specs on the ATF pump and its ability to flow almost 3x as much psi then it actually uses on a stock TL.

Im just babbling at this point with all these thoughts

I guess what Im saying is.... is it possible that an increase in line pressure is already being achieved with the stock internals when we are making much more power then stock?

Last time I saw this thread, this scan appeared as a red X.

It looks like line pressure is controlled mechanically and rises with engine torque. It always rises with torque output but it's kind of an oddball way of doing it with the stator support but apparently it works.

The only easy way I can see to raise overall line pressure is to install a softer regulator spring. A different valve could be machined but it would be a ton of trial and error. It may not be a bad idea to compare part numbers of various springs from other Acura models that share this trans.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
There is no need to worry about the load carrying ability of 5th, right? Fifth is unable to see any load against it. As soon as you aggressively get into the throttle, the trans will downshift into fourth at least. And, fourth is good up to 150+ MPH.

Originally Posted by I hate cars

It looks like line pressure is controlled mechanically and rises with engine torque. It always rises with torque output .
Wow. That is cool. I didn't take the time to closely look at the diagram. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Notice the last line..."line pressure reaches its maximum when the stator torque reaction reaches its maximum"
is it possible that an increase in line pressure is already being achieved with the stock internals when we are making much more power then stock?
AND

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Highly unlikely. The ecu has no way of knowing how much power is being put thru the wheels.
Bert,

My apologizes to you bud. When you told me to look at that last line about "stator torque reaction", I didn't look close enough because I was short on time.

In light of IHC pointing it out to me, I wish to revise my answer.

You are right in theory that an increase in engine torque should cause a increase in line pressure. But on the other hand, we have firsthand accounts from Acura/Honda owners that have burnt the 5AT clutches from too much torque from being boosted. So, the increased line pressure from "stator torque reaction" appears to be insufficient by itself to prevent burning out the clutches.

However, all of those failures were with the oem Z1 ATF. So it appears that our best hope thus far is resting with the Racing ATF
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Bert,

My apologizes to you bud. When you told me to look at that last line about "stator torque reaction", I didn't look close enough because I was short on time.

In light of IHC pointing it out to me, I wish to revise my answer.

You are right in theory that an increase in engine torque should cause a increase in line pressure. But on the other hand, we have firsthand accounts from Acura/Honda owners that have burnt the 5AT clutches from too much torque from being boosted. So, the increased line pressure from "stator torque reaction" appears to be insufficient by itself to prevent burning out the clutches.

However, all of those failures were with the oem Z1 ATF. So it appears that our best hope thus far is resting with the Racing ATF
I would have to assume that the atf pump is not maxed out when you reach max torque on the stock n/a motor. I would think they leave a little room in there. Say at max torque the atf pump is working at 80% of its max...maybe less, maybe more.

Very excited to see how these new clutch packs work out.

Richie, where did you order these from?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:23 AM
18psi

The only easy way I can see to raise overall line pressure is to install a softer regulator spring. A different valve could be machined but it would be a ton of trial and error. It may not be a bad idea to compare part numbers of various springs from other Acura models that share this trans.
Unfortunately, the regulator valve spring is not sold by itself. You have to buy the regulator valve and body as one and its 270$

Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Nice. It's too bad that's all they offer, it would've been nice to have 3rd, 4th, and 5th as the high energy but it's better than nothing. With the Type F fluid you'll have no problems with holding power anyway.

Are those are the stock steels?
The frictions came sealed in a stack with the tan frictions on top. I was pretty disappointed unit I opened them. I might use half Alto and half Raybestos depending if they use better material.

Do you have any experience with either brand?

They are Alto steels the OEM component are crazy expensive. I was thinking about having them Kolene treated. I am not sure if it is worth the money.

It looks like line pressure is controlled mechanically and rises with engine torque. It always rises with torque output but it's kind of an oddball way of doing it with the stator support but apparently it works.

If only there was a way to adjust the spring without pulling the trans. Maybe there is a way to add a threaded plug to the case. I was originally thinking about adjusting the duty cycle that controls the pressure control valves. The service manual describes a way to measure the internal transmission pressure using a gauge. This would be good way to monitor changes.

Very excited to see how these new clutch packs work out.

Richie, where did you order these from?
I called Alto and they found the last set at distributor. I will see if the name is on the shipping label. Just give them a call they should be able to point you to the nearest distributor. Everyone I've talked to has been friendly and helpful. I've been talking to their tech department and powersports trying to get something more performance oriented made.

Unfortunately, the regulator valve spring is not sold by itself. You have to buy the regulator valve and body as one and its 270$

The 09 TL uses a new regulator body that's only about 80 bucks. It does look very different though. Maybe we can machine a custom cap with a slightly recessed pocket for the spring.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Safety Car

Richie,

Be sure to checkout this thread too

Transmission Solenoids Adjustment (click here)
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
This thread has now become like God to me and added to my favorites! I know nothing about auto trans and worry about mine all the time as Acura/Honda is known for crap trans. I would like to install a 3k converter but i am having a hard time finding one for our applications...
Sorry for the outburst... continue! :-)

Last edited by Comptechtl2367; 12-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
This thread has now become like God to me and added to my favorites! I know nothing about auto trans and worry about mine all the time as Acura/Honda is known for crap trans. I would like to install a 3k converter but i am having a hard time finding one four our applications...
I wish there was an off the shelf app. There's no doubt that one of the big aftermarket companies could make a high stall for us. Precision Industries would be one to check out.

If you run the Redline Racing fluid and replace the switches at reasonable intervals, I guarantee you will not have an issue. With these mods the reliability of the Honda 5at seems to go from sketchy to better than the industry standard. If you could only feel the way mine shifts at 100,000 miles you wouldn't worry at all. And Bert's with well over 100,000 miles with over 400whp thrown at it. I think it's safe to say the reliability issues are a thing of the past with these mods.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Thats a very good point. I did do my switches less then 1-2k ago and I just ordered a case of Redline Racing ATF. Thanks for the reassurance! Someday i hope to go turbo but for now S/C will have to do and ike you said my trans should be just fine with the fluid change, cooler, and switches!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 AM
18psi

bump for updates from richie
Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Former Sponsor

bump for updates from richie
Still working on exhaust hoping to tear apart the trans soon. I need to call Raybestos back on getting blue plate special frictions made.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 AM
18psi

Richie
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 PM
18psi

hey richie, ever get around to installing those clutch packs?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Former Sponsor

hey richie, ever get around to installing those clutch packs?
Not yet, my life is very hectic currently I am hoping to get them in before winter. After doing some research and talking to technical support it seems that Raybestos GPX frictions might be the better choice. No one seems to be interested in making custom frictions without some obscene price tag.