ATLP Ver2 Jpipe Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:00 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Jeff
BLKURA, would you mind posting a few pictures detailing the weld issues? Any particular area or all the welds?

Mike, you may want to give your welder a heads up. When you launch a new product you want to keep the concerns to minimum. The initial comments could greatly affect future sales. Just a suggestion my friend.
Dude, give it a rest. You may be 42 but seriously you are annoying like a 12 year old. I usually dont care if someone posts their opinion in the forum but I am tired of you nit picking on vendor products without a just cause. I havent seen you buy squat yet you go in every other thread and start a new thread every day to rant about how you dont like current vendor products.

If you are that concerned with the welds then dont buy it, you are kicking tires around going to RV6, XLR8 and then ATLP yet not buying anything. Being in retail I know the difference between a tire kicker and a concerned consumer who is trying to do their research and you sir are not the later by any means.

Again, my word does not mean anything if I say that ATLP stuff is top notch, richie's stuff is top notch and same goes for XLR8 cause you dont seem to get the idea even when hundreds of past customers have chimed in with their rave reviews.

I suggest giving the mod bug a rest, that is if you ever had it, sticking to your stock TL and

[/rant]

Last edited by JnC; 05-30-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
Dude, give it a rest. You may be 42 but seriously you are annoying like a 12 year old. I usually dont care if someone posts their opinion in the forum but I am tired of you nit picking on vendor products without a just cause. I havent seen you buy squat yet you go in every other thread and start a new thread every day to rant about how you dont like current vendor products.

If you are that concerned with the welds then dont buy it, you are kicking tires around going to RV6, XLR8 and then ATLP yet not buying anything. Being in retail I know the difference between a tire kicker and a concerned consumer who is trying to do their research and you sir are not the later by any means.

Again, my word does not mean anything if I say that ATLP stuff is top notch, richie's stuff is top notch and same goes for XLR8 cause you dont seem to get the idea even when hundreds of past customers have chimed in with their rave reviews.

I suggest giving the mod bug a rest, that is if you ever had it, sticking to your stock TL and

[/rant]
I would suggest you limit your comments and concentrate on your comprehension skills. The weld concerns were originally posted by BLKURA. Here is the quote, "The welds on my paticular J-pipe isn't very impressive IMO."
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

arent tig weld's not supposed look impressive????
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by stillhere153
its hand mig welded... it won't look great and it will never leak
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice - maybe one day I'll be able to get a branded ATLP part on my car
Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I would suggest you limit your comments and concentrate on your comprehension skills. The weld concerns were originally posted by BLKURA. Here is the quote, "The welds on my paticular J-pipe isn't very impressive IMO."
The irony of the matter is that you failed to comprehend the gist of my post. I wasnt singling out your particular post but the general attitude that you have been portraying over the past month or so towards the vendors as selling low quality/substandard products.

I suggest you try out the products and if you dont like them then come back and show your concern rather than making something out of nothing cause this sort of behavior gets annoying really quickly.

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
THANK YOU, its a matter of function over form.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mig looks like shit as apposed to TIG. Nobody will ever see the welds though. So who cares? As long as it doesnt leak. I wasn't impressed by the RV6 welds either. The shit still performs so I don't give a shit.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The welds are bullet proof and looked about how MIG are supposed to.

I posted before, but when I showed a buddy of mine the RV6 products he was very impressed. This dude has built 2 '67 mustangs from the ground up, the latest a s/c windsor that runs like a raped ape.

The day I installed the parts I had them laying on the bench in the garage we use and a handful of good ole' muscle car crackers inspected the parts and were very impressed by the fit and finish.

And they work...
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Do you really think he is a qualified, accredited weld inspector. Kudos to him if he is, but very few people have the in depth knowledge to just look at a weld and know exactly what they are talking about.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by powerflow
Do you really think he is a qualified, accredited weld inspector. Kudos to him if he is, but very few people have the in depth knowledge to just look at a weld and know exactly what they are talking about.
Point well taken.

On a different note, I still remember everyone lining up to purchase the E-Shift Pro Cats. The Acurazine enthusiasts could not get enough of them fast enough. A positive comment lead to another and then everyone wanted them. I had my suspicions based on my automotive design and product release experience and passed. Another Acurazine automotive engineer that worked at the Visteon converter plant had a conversation with Mike and told me to stay clear. All those poor Acurazine folks that bought the E-shit pro cats are out $1000.... pretty big lesson to learn. Many did not have engineering degrees and OEM automotive experience to know what questions to ask the manufacturer... it was just about gains with little concern beyond that. Besides their are not that many hands on exhaust engineers available to consult with.

While some other folks may knock intelligent questions about low volume aftermarket parts there usually is a reason behind the questions. The questions can stop and fellow enthusiasts can learn at their own expense... but I thought we were all trying to help each other and protect each others investment. At least for those of us who buy our own cars.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
I caught the mod flu

Actually I due have a background in welding and yes I know the difference between Tig and mig welds. Reguardless, the welds looks unimpressive! Why are some of you justifying the fact? It is what it is. No offense to Mike, but a lot of you hang from his nuts, just waiting for him to bust! I'm sure he has a good reason for using this paticular welder opposed to others. Which is good enough for me.

Ver 2 is the first product from ATLP that I've owned and so far i'm happy with the gains.

I also believe there was more to my last post then what you quoted me on.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
SSgt. Hood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reviews guys, I will be picking this up soon.

Ver2 looks alot better than 1. Just hope my Welds will be decent
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I caught the mod flu

*do, *offence
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
is this guy really fucking comparing a jpipe to a fucking e-shit cat...

cats fail all the time.. welds fail almost never

jnc said it best
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Racer

is this guy really fucking comparing a jpipe to a fucking e-shit cat...

cats fail all the time.. welds fail almost never

jnc said it best
I hope you are not directing that to me. Perhaps if you got an engineering degree and worked for the Big 3 for many years you might have a little more respect and understanding for the comments posted. I thought we were all here to help each other and share lessons learned.

I don't think anyone is comparing the E-Shift Cats to a J-pipe. The point is two or three years ago a lot of guys raved how good those E-Shift Cats were and bought them... the vendor could not make them fast enough. That vendor made a about a $1000 from a lot of Acurazine guys and those poor buyers are each out $1000 now. How fast we forget about our fellow Acurazine members who where guinea pigs for the vendor. Why do some of you suck up to the vendors and ignore your fellow members? Is it the price reductions they offer you?

I think someone just learned a $400 lesson when they bought the Ver. 1 J-pipe and crushed it... just look at his pictures for evidence. What kind of stress do you think that put on one of the banks due to the enormous back pressure on one side. Oh yeah, there is now a better Ver. 2... but who is forking out the money for the design flaw? Thats right, Acurazine members. Come on, lets have some accountability for products sold. Just food for thought guys.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Instructor

I hope you are not directing that to me. Perhaps if you got an engineering degree and worked for the Big 3 for many years you might have a little more respect and understanding for the comments posted. I thought we were all here to help each other and share lessons learned.

I don't think anyone is comparing the E-Shift Cats to a J-pipe. The point is two or three years ago a lot of guys raved how good those E-Shift Cats were and bought them... the vendor could not make them fast enough. That vendor made a about a $1000 from a lot of Acurazine guys and those poor buyers are each out $1000 now. How fast we forget about our fellow Acurazine members who where guinea pigs for the vendor. Why do some of you suck up to the vendors and ignore your fellow members? Is it the price reductions they offer you?

I think someone just learned a $400 lesson when they bought the Ver. 1 J-pipe and crushed it... just look at his pictures for evidence. What kind of stress do you think that put on one of the banks due to the enormous back pressure on one side. Oh yeah, there is now a better Ver. 2... but who is forking out the money for the design flaw? Thats right, Acurazine members. Come on, lets have some accountability for products sold. Just food for thought guys.
If you are refering to ib18c1 in changing out his V1 jpipe to the V2 you are mistaken that it was because of crushing damage. He changed so he could have some more ground clearance yes. You apparently missed that he tested the quads and was in the video along side scotterson who tested the base exhaust. Yes it did receive a good deal of scrapage, ie no denting but the pipe never failed.

I have to agree with JnC here about the whole Jpipe thread last week by you. The vendors answer everything they had to aswer and it was just like beating a dead horse.

Also the design flaw you say Is because of cutting an inch wide strip of plastic? Not everything is on the car is detrimental to it. I'm pretty sure if you take off the plastic engine covers nothing will happen either.

Last edited by 05BlkTL; 06-02-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Instructor

TIG welds are the shit, look incredible. IMO the best weld you can have, when done right look like a layed out set of dimes. I have seen stick welds done on large pipe that look like that too.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 05BlkTL
If you are refering to ib18c1 in changing out his V1 jpipe to the V2 you are mistaken that it was because of crushing damage. He changed so he could have some more ground clearance yes. You apparently missed that he tested the quads and was in the video along side scotterson who tested the base exhaust. Yes it did receive a good deal of scrapage, ie no denting but the pipe never failed.

I have to agree with JnC here about the whole Jpipe thread last week by you. The vendors answer everything they had to aswer and it was just like beating a dead horse.

Also the design flaw you say Is because of cutting an inch wide strip of plastic? Not everything is on the car is detrimental to it. I'm pretty sure if you take off the plastic engine covers nothing will happen either.
actually I was the first tester for the base version hehe (AM 6spd on vimeo)

Acura Jeff, The v1 jpipe damage was NOT ATLP LAB's fault; It was mine because I had lowered the car way more than what it should have been. Being dropped 3" from STOCK was the cause of the damage, not the design error. A lot of people whom I know personally with minor 1-2" drops have 0 problems and their jpipes are still fresh. For those who drop their car as insane as i do should be placed responsible for the damage of their car.

Also, is there any POSSITIVE thing that you have to say about the J-Pipe? anything at all? it seems that most of the comments coming from you seems that you are just trying to find some super perfect part for the car. I don't think that will happen due to costs to manufacturing these products. All companies would have to cut back somewhere to fulfill the consumer's needs in terms of pricing. If you were to make a super flawless perfect +15whp dyno proven Jpipe with super welds, the $$ ss, etc...I am sure the consumers would be expected to pay a good amount of money say...$800 vs the asking 350-400 from the current vendors? I don't think anyone is ready for that. I personally beleive (and speaking from experience) that ATLP has chosen some of the best materials and experts to work on their products. I have personally been their with them when a product is going through R&D. ATLP Lab's products are from STROMUNG ENGINEERING which is a top notch exhaust engineering brand, I doubt they would make an inefficient product. The products are hand made with precision and accuracy to ensure a sense of perfection is met.

But like most have said, you seem to be nitpicking on little details of the products available, especially ATLP. I have been an owner of ATLP products since day one established, so far i am a very satisfied customer, nothing wrong, nothing to complain about other than the fact that they have made some fabulous products that I find myself hard to get rid of. I am sorry to agree with them, but it really now does seem like there is nothing that will ever please you.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
practicing nihilist

True, true and true.

Damaged pipe was result of extremely lowered car and a raised manhole cover, correct? I was very impressed that it didn't rip apart or even have a hole. Amazing, if you ask me. In fact, ATLP should post that picture and story on their homepage as a testament to their durability.

Products TL owners can afford is a huge factor. And what is this perfection you're searching for? There's always room for improvement, always a way to make it better. These are everlasting gobstoppers. If it were the last j-pipe you will ever own that could not possibly be improved upon, would you only charge $300?

It's all moot. I'm almost certain at this point that Jeff thinks...wait, knows, we are the ones with the problem.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Atlp is the best, its our fault for being dropped so low, and i could care less about many negative comments on here. If it breaks, buy a new one!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Instructor

[quote=ib18c1;10966948]actually I was the first tester for the base version hehe (AM 6spd on vimeo)

D'oh!!

Don't know how I messed that up I only saw the vid maybe 100 times, haha
Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 05BlkTL

Guys, I apologize for any confusion. I think we may be referring to two different owners. I don't believe I am referring to ib18c1. I am referring to
Petethapitbull and all his pictures of that crushed J-pipe. Take a look at them at let me know if you still feel the same.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Guys, I apologize for any confusion. I think we may be referring to two different owners. I don't believe I am referring to ib18c1. I am referring to
Petethapitbull and all his pictures of that crushed J-pipe. Take a look at them at let me know if you still feel the same.
Shit happens Jeff, were in nyc, I scraped my stock j pipe when i was stock height... I ask myself wtf!!! but it happens...
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Racer

Shit happens Jeff, were in nyc, I scraped my stock j pipe when i was stock height... I ask myself wtf!!! but it happens...

Yes it does, but I wouldn't think we crush J-pipes like that. Did you see the pictures? I think he mentioned his CEL went out when he replaced that J-pipe with one side practically crushed. I have done some things, but nothing like that.

In any case, as long as the consumer realizes the Acurazine guys prove out the products WHILE they are being sold we can move on. Can you imagine if you bought a new appliance and it crapped out early because it was not thoroughly tested PRIOR to distribution? I am not talking about accidents. In other words, the buyer or consumer is actually proving out the seller's design for free. I expect stuff to be designed and tested before I buy something. Just don't expect me to pay for something and do your testing at my expense. I am not in a position to just buy things if they crap out early. One of the reasons why I purchased the TL was due to its RELIABILITY. All I am suggesting is the sellers prove out and test their products PRIOR to selling them. I hope I am not asking to much.

I think we are all in agreement on this one. Don't forget to check out those pictures and thanks for the comments.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
practicing nihilist

He hit a man hole cover. A 2" thick steel man hole cover (guessing it's something like that). Usually that would have ripped half the under body of the car off but all he got was a nasty dent. I think it's a pretty amazing example of durability. J-pipes are just a factory pipe made less restrictive, just like headers have been doing for years. That's why all three manufacturers j-pipes produce about the same gains. The quality of welds and fit and finish may vary but, I haven't read one post of someone flat out stating that this was an inferior product for $300 ish.

This case is really no basis for an argument of quality control or testing. He hit a man hole cover. I know you're going to bring up the issue of clearance however, majority of people installing these have some type of ride height/suspension modification. Drop your ride and be prepared for the consequences (people with steep driveways know what I'm talking about). Even the one pipe that hung lower than the others wouldn't have had any issue on stock ride height. He listened to customer reviews and made a ver. 2, which solved the clearance issue.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Racer

NEWBY B gentle

Been reading for a few weeks trying to keep up with all you guys. I like the passion on here. I have a 05/TL- auto, Injen/C-air,custom white old-school pinstripe, "it looks good trust me" I restored cars in another life before kids and marriage.... white lower front bumper grills. Debadged deck-lid and the rest is stock.

I'd like to lower the car, BUT after reading about the cat deletes and j-pipe and other mods you folks r doin, Well I like horsepower better then looks. So could someone help out a dad with three kids in high school, I don't need babysitting just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any positive input/guidance
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^check out heeltoeauto.com

they have almost all products available for our cars
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by lowbudgetTL
Been reading for a few weeks trying to keep up with all you guys. I like the passion on here. I have a 05/TL- auto, Injen/C-air,custom white old-school pinstripe, "it looks good trust me" I restored cars in another life before kids and marriage.... white lower front bumper grills. Debadged deck-lid and the rest is stock.

I'd like to lower the car, BUT after reading about the cat deletes and j-pipe and other mods you folks r doin, Well I like horsepower better then looks. So could someone help out a dad with three kids in high school, I don't need babysitting just point me in the right direction.

Search 'Performance Parts and Modifications' for the following: UR crank pulley, Richie V6 pre-cat deletes, J-pipe, race pipe, P2R, Progress
Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lowbudgetTL

You may want to consider Josh @ Excelerate (www.excelerateperformance.com). He is knowledgeable about a wide array of potential mods for the TL and has been selling to us for years. We respectfully disagree about UR Pulleys, but that aside, he is pretty well plugged in.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

Yes it does, but I wouldn't think we crush J-pipes like that. Did you see the pictures? I think he mentioned his CEL went out when he replaced that J-pipe with one side practically crushed. I have done some things, but nothing like that.

In any case, as long as the consumer realizes the Acurazine guys prove out the products WHILE they are being sold we can move on. Can you imagine if you bought a new appliance and it crapped out early because it was not thoroughly tested PRIOR to distribution? I am not talking about accidents. In other words, the buyer or consumer is actually proving out the seller's design for free. I expect stuff to be designed and tested before I buy something. Just don't expect me to pay for something and do your testing at my expense. I am not in a position to just buy things if they crap out early. One of the reasons why I purchased the TL was due to its RELIABILITY. All I am suggesting is the sellers prove out and test their products PRIOR to selling them. I hope I am not asking to much.

I think we are all in agreement on this one. Don't forget to check out those pictures and thanks for the comments.

same thing happened to my j pipe after scraping a massive manhole on an unpaved street. I just repaired it and called it a day.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Racer

same thing happened to my j pipe after scraping a massive manhole on an unpaved street. I just repaired it and called it a day.
And here I thought the roads in Michigan were the worst. Just out of curiosity did you have problems with the OEM J-Pipe?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You may want to consider Josh @ Excelerate (www.excelerateperformance.com). He is knowledgeable about a wide array of potential mods for the TL and has been selling to us for years. We respectfully disagree about UR Pulleys, but that aside, he is pretty well plugged in.

this about the only useful post I've seen come out of you

Tim... and Mike... are local socal dudes who've been putting these products to the test for the members on azine

Do you think Mike was just sitting in a beach chair in front of his house and said to himself gee let me create a company that will provide parts for the car I own and make tons of money... UH NO... truth is mike brakes damn near even with all of his parts (but you wouldn't know that you're too busy critiquing shit)

Mike contracts stromung as mentioned before, a company local to him... they mockup the parts on what at first was Mike's car... and later as also mentioned before Tim's car...

The original Jpipe was mocked up on Mike's own ride, while the original Quadback was mocked up on another members type s...

The Base catback and V2 jpipe were mocked up on tims ride at his own expense (ie. time spent)...

the truth of the matter is Mike and Tim have been testing these products way before sale even goes on, the fact that Mike's first jpipe hung so low was merely a sacrifice over exhaust flow... it was firstly well documented extreme drops are not recomended

If you so claim to work for the big 3 thats nice concidering gm and ford are broke and chrysler was sold

I've spent my free time working on none other than the 3rd gen tl and nothing but the 3rd gen tl... I've installed numerous jpipes and catbacks from atlp so much that I can't count... I've never had a fitment snaphew or anything close to it

RV6 products are of equal quality as richie sits down and makes sure every item prior to being shipped will fit 100%

Excelerate's catback is made by BB which if you so called worked for the big 3 you would know they make a ton of stuff for big 3 vehicles...

I will conclude by again saying

Last edited by stillhere153; 06-05-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 AM
practicing nihilist

^amen
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Advanced

looks good!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Racer

Excelerate's catback is made by BB which if you so called worked for the big 3 you would know they make a ton of stuff for big 3 vehicles...

I am not sure if anyone is contesting the quality of a J-Pipe, but we all know the design has been improved and will be improved again. On a positive note the flow looks good.

As far as Billy Boat, I don't recall them as a supplier to the OEMs, but who knows these days. I thought BB was just an aftermarket supplier. Typically the big boys don't mess with low volume suppliers. Faurecia and Tenneco do a fair amount of OEM business. I am not sure if Maremount and Walker are in the OEM game.

I had hoped you would appreciate some comments from another perspective.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Racer

this about the only useful post I've seen come out of you

Tim... and Mike... are local socal dudes who've been putting these products to the test for the members on azine

Do you think Mike was just sitting in a beach chair in front of his house and said to himself gee let me create a company that will provide parts for the car I own and make tons of money... UH NO... truth is mike brakes damn near even with all of his parts (but you wouldn't know that you're too busy critiquing shit)

Mike contracts stromung as mentioned before, a company local to him... they mockup the parts on what at first was Mike's car... and later as also mentioned before Tim's car...

The original Jpipe was mocked up on Mike's own ride, while the original Quadback was mocked up on another members type s...

The Base catback and V2 jpipe were mocked up on tims ride at his own expense (ie. time spent)...

the truth of the matter is Mike and Tim have been testing these products way before sale even goes on, the fact that Mike's first jpipe hung so low was merely a sacrifice over exhaust flow... it was firstly well documented extreme drops are not recomended

If you so claim to work for the big 3 thats nice concidering gm and ford are broke and chrysler was sold

I've spent my free time working on none other than the 3rd gen tl and nothing but the 3rd gen tl... I've installed numerous jpipes and catbacks from atlp so much that I can't count... I've never had a fitment snaphew or anything close to it

RV6 products are of equal quality as richie sits down and makes sure every item prior to being shipped will fit 100%

You should be in sales my friend. Are these guys giving you kick backs for defending them?

I can't help noticing your titleblock, "Big thanks to JOSH @ Excelerate Performance" credits Josh at Excelerate. You are advertising his business with each of your postings. I don't even want to know why... that is your personal business.

Last edited by Acura Jeff; 06-11-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
amagad teh dramaz0rz