ATLP Ver2 Jpipe Installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
ATLP Ver2 Jpipe Installed!!!

Well I just got my ATLP Ver2 Jpipe installed today. Right out of the box the Jpipe feels noticebly lighter than the Ver1. Being a former owner of ATLP products, I do not hesitate one bit nor do i include bias (well maybe a little) when I say that ATLP Lab has once again done it! Like Ver1, this Jpipe includes a very solid weld and "attention to detail" was in effect. Seeing the Jpipe, you almost not want to put it on the car but rather keep it in an art house, it's truly a work of art! On to the install:

Included:
2 Gaskets for the Pre-Cat to the Jpipe Connecting flanges
1 Beautiful ATLP Jpipe Metal Hanger to replace the old one
1 Rubber hanger for the Jpipe
1 ATLP J-Pipe Ver2

Requirement:
Cut the Splash Shield

I had taken my car to my muffler man because I was unable to bust the rusty old cat off and plus I wanted some decent pictures under the car.

Once the Ver1 was taken off, I was so surprised to see how beat up it was and how such a thing could survive the major abuse this owner has given it! Ver1 definitely was not slammed friendly. Here's a picture to prove it:

Whoa?? Damn right. There was little to no surprise that ATLP's product had survive this devastating abuse, these bad boys sure are strong!

Next was taking off the lower splash shield. Mike of ATLP noted that about 1" deep and roughly 12" has to be cut off to fit ver2. I had no hesitation what so ever in cutting the lower splash panel, I do not think a cut of this size would effect it's purpose what so ever. Also note that the cut does NOT interefere with any of the bolts and clips required to mount the splash shield on. I do not think a regular Fiskar scissor would cut the plastic so i used a dremel and started trimming, a very easy job. Once that was done, it was time to install the hangers included. Here is the end result!

You can see the cut is not drastic, very minor. It did not interfere with the Splash Shield one bit, no turbulence appeared due to the cut...in other words the shield is on there very stiff and sturdy with no movement!

ALSO note that the Oil Pan clearence is much better! I can almost fit my fist in between =]

POWER:
So most are wondering if there are any power differences? Possibly a bit more power like 1-2whp, nothing your five senses could sense really. From my minor knowledge with fluid dynamics, I know for a fact that the Version2 will yield a much more smoother flow meaning more power delivery thanks to it's updated design. As you can see on version1, the Pipe going to the Front precat is required an extra bend upward, the ver2 on the other hand is a smooth no extra bend flow. Rest assure that ver2 will yield a bit more gains to ver1, afterall, it is an udgrade!

SOUND:
Any sound difference? not really, well nothing my tiny little human ears can detect.

SATISFACTION:
Garanteed!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Awesome write up!

ps- You still owe me a car
Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Nice!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice, Tim!

I want...
Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Definitely nice write up.
Good read.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ib18c1
You can see the cut is not drastic, very minor. It did not interfere with the Splash Shield one bit, no turbulence appeared due to the cut...in other words the shield is on there very stiff and sturdy with no movement!
Thanks for sharing your installation experience and pictures with us.

What is the nearest distance between the J-pipe and the trimmed splash guard? The picture leads one to believe they are almost touching.

Are we still maintaining the initial OEM distance between the J-Pipe and splash guard? It appears the close distance could lead to a THERMAL EVENT. Please tell me it is just the camera angle.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
there is roughly 1/2" of distance from the Jpipe, the splash shield should be fine because i am sure that the shield was designed to endure high heat with all the cat/jpipes down near it. I checked the splash shield after a 1hr drive last night and everything is fine, no melts etc
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Former Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up! looks like ver2 is slammed friendly!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Shyne

Should've test fitted this on a REAL car
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 AM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLheaven
Should've test fitted this on a REAL car
Real car as in.... your car? Sorry but Tim's 6mt shits on all of our autos

And Tim, you do owe Faiz a car. I witnessed this account.

And nice review, v2 will sell like hotcakes to the slammed peeps!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
v1 got pwned by the road.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
jesus christ dude your lucky that v1 doesn't have a hole in it...

v2 looks pretty darn spiffy...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much ground clearance do you have on the new J pipe? Is your suspension stock or lower? If lowered by how much?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

that v1 got fkin thrashed its so durable, more than i expected
Old 05-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by jackdiamondss
How much ground clearance do you have on the new J pipe? Is your suspension stock or lower? If lowered by how much?
the v2 should have same clearance as stock. he's lowered on tein basics and i think he's fully slammed? or i think one inch of thread left on coilovers.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura Jeff
Are we still maintaining the initial OEM distance between the J-Pipe and splash guard?
Originally Posted by ib18c1
there is roughly 1/2" of distance from the Jpipe, the splash shield should be fine because i am sure that the shield was designed to endure high heat with all the cat/jpipes down near it. I checked the splash shield after a 1hr drive last night and everything is fine, no melts etc
What is the distance between the OEM J-Pipe and the splash guard? Are we still maintaining that same clearance?? I sense we are not maintaining the initial clearance.

Lets see what happens in the 90 degree heat when the engine is idling for a long period of time. I sense we are not maintaining the initial clearance. Lets hope for the best so this mod works.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Nice write up and install. That V1 took a bad beating but damn she survived somehow.

Acura Jeff: I don't think the V2 is going to have an adverse effect on that splash gaurd, worst comes to worst a little heat tape if your that concerned about it should do the trick. That's a common trick for motorcycles that experience melting of fairings from an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Racer

J-Pipe test for Appropriate Clearance

What is the distance between the OEM J-Pipe and the splash guard? Are we still maintaining that same clearance?? I sense we are not maintaining the initial clearance.

Lets see what happens in the 90 degree heat when the engine is idling for a long period of time. I sense we are not maintaining the initial clearance. Lets hope for the best so this mod works.
Can I ask one of you guys to have someone look at the new Ver. two J-Pipe while you put the automatic transmission in gear and also when you power brake. This is a very easy and quick test to ensure the J-Pipe does not close that small 1/2" gap with the splash shield and cause a thermal event.

The reason why I ask is my Accord aftermarket J-Pipe rubs up against the frame and causes a vibration sound periodically when under acceleration. Obviously that J-Pipe design is not very robust. Hence all my questions.

Also, it appears we cannot trim more plastic off due to the metal band that secures the splash shield. Has anyone come up with a work around plan?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 05BlkTL
Nice write up and install. That V1 took a bad beating but damn she survived somehow.

Acura Jeff: I don't think the V2 is going to have an adverse effect on that splash gaurd, worst comes to worst a little heat tape if your that concerned about it should do the trick. That's a common trick for motorcycles that experience melting of fairings from an aftermarket exhaust.
Yes, I agree. I mentioned that same point earlier in the other J-Pipe thread. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

if you trim the plastic, from above the metal bracket you won't have any melting problems, that except metal on metal which can be solved with a simple tap of the bracket to make it higher and above the jpipe

also tim... I see some sub-frame scrapage, I don't think even this jpipe will be safe from your drop
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Racer

Can I ask one of you guys to have someone look at the new Ver. two J-Pipe while you put the automatic transmission in gear and also when you power brake. This is a very easy and quick test to ensure the J-Pipe does not close that small 1/2" gap with the splash shield and cause a thermal event or BSR (buzz, squeak, rattle).

The reason why I ask is my Accord aftermarket J-Pipe rubs up against the frame and causes a vibration sound periodically when under acceleration. Obviously that J-Pipe design is not very robust. Hence all my questions.
Is anyone willing to try the power braking test with their new ATLP ver2 J-Pipe? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Jeff i installed my V2 last night and i did a power braking test. No problems nothing but satisfaction. There is no need to stress about the splash guard. I trimmed it up easy as pie there is no clearance issues. I have very satisfied with my purchase and you can see in person if we get that michigan tl owners meet going.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced

*I am satisfied*
Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 AM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

Originally Posted by stillhere153
if you trim the plastic, from above the metal bracket you won't have any melting problems, that except metal on metal which can be solved with a simple tap of the bracket to make it higher and above the jpipe

also tim... I see some sub-frame scrapage, I don't think even this jpipe will be safe from your drop
i see that too how slammed are you???
Old 05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd ace the plastic guard. Some one noted it doesn't even come on the Accords.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Originally Posted by mmp1214
i see that too how slammed are you???
he's dam low.. lol

i think 1/2" left on threads on basics. then he has 17" wheels with stretcchhhh
Old 05-23-2009, 11:26 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
when you power brake an auto it limits the rpm's to 2K, at least for the base 04-06's. i don't see what this will accomplish unless you're going to hold for an extended period of time, which I wouldn't do with my vehicle. a set of accel/decel's would make the engine work the hardest - generate the most heat.

still think it's mostly an aesthetic/road noise, possibly grime blocker that i will remove next time I'm under the girl. maybe the northern/snow guys it really serves a purpose but, again, does that mean a V6 Accords body is going to rot out faster?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I have had all of my trim pieces off for some time now. I do recommend that you folks trash that thing instead of worrying about trimming it.

I have no unusual amount of road grime accumulation with mine removed. My TL is a daily driver, with no "days off" if it rains.

You will slightly lower your under hood temps too with that shield removed. It is no wonder why Acura has that power steering hose recall. The TL is hotter than an oven with all of those "look pretty" shields all over the engine compartment. I recommend that you performance-minded guys to remove all of those damn "look pretty" shields. As you know, ambient temps kill the TL power. Why have your engine sitting inside of a 400 degree oven ?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I caught the mod flu

Got mine yesterday and can't wait to install it next week. The welds on my paticular J-pipe isn't very impressive IMO. As long as the performance is there I don't care about the poor welds.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

its hand mig welded... it won't look great and it will never leak
Old 05-24-2009, 02:04 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I have had all of my trim pieces off for some time now. I do recommend that you folks trash that thing instead of worrying about trimming it.

I have no unusual amount of road grime accumulation with mine removed. My TL is a daily driver, with no "days off" if it rains.

You will slightly lower your under hood temps too with that shield removed. It is no wonder why Acura has that power steering hose recall. The TL is hotter than an oven with all of those "look pretty" shields all over the engine compartment. I recommend that you performance-minded guys to remove all of those damn "look pretty" shields. As you know, ambient temps kill the TL power. Why have your engine sitting inside of a 400 degree oven ?

7th gen accord does not have a power steering recall, so there might be something to that. no engine covers or splash guard from the factory for my car.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:31 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I think it has something to do with aerodynamics... Something about a shielded blah blah blah air blah blah... I took it off my tl-s and never figured how to put it back on, ended up using the 10mm bolts on the strutbar and a clip on the front diffuser
Old 05-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Racer

ATLP Weld Issues???

Originally Posted by BLKURA
Got mine yesterday and can't wait to install it next week. The welds on my paticular J-pipe isn't very impressive IMO. As long as the performance is there I don't care about the poor welds.
BLKURA, would you mind posting a few pictures detailing the weld issues? Any particular area or all the welds?

Mike, you may want to give your welder a heads up. When you launch a new product you want to keep the concerns to minimum. The initial comments could greatly affect future sales. Just a suggestion my friend.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLabuser
Jeff i installed my V2 last night and i did a power braking test. No problems nothing but satisfaction. There is no need to stress about the splash guard. I trimmed it up easy as pie there is no clearance issues. I have very satisfied with my purchase and you can see in person if we get that michigan tl owners meet going.
Good feedback.

I still have to live with that other aftermarket J-Pipe that causes a BSR on my other car... very annoying... just don't want any issues with my TL. When my other car is on the lift you can see the J-Pipe contact the frame when shifting from park into gear... the aftermarket J-Pipe design did not take into account the movement of the J-pipe. A different issue than what we are talking about but a lesson learned.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I caught the mod flu

Only two of the three flanges need gaskets? I have two, what about the third one?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Pro

^ You should have gotten three (2 for the collectors and 1 where the pipe mates to the 3rd cat).
Old 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jweb12
^ You should have gotten three (2 for the collectors and 1 where the pipe mates to the 3rd cat).
Just 2.

Stock 3rd cat has a built in o-ring gasket. Only time you need that gasket is when you have an aftermarket 3rd cat/race pipe in which we provide the gaskets in our race pipe kits.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Just 2.

Stock 3rd cat has a built in o-ring gasket. Only time you need that gasket is when you have an aftermarket 3rd cat/race pipe in which we provide the gaskets in our race pipe kits.

I had an extra and thought it was the j-pipe to 3rd cat. I must be thinking of the gasket that goes between the 3rd cat and the catback. Since I got all of it at once I couldn't remember which I had the extra of. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for clearing that up Mike
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pictures with the vehicle on the ground showing the ground cleareance?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey where can I buy one? Link me!

Quick Reply: ATLP Ver2 Jpipe Installed!!!