Ask for forgiveness or permission???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask for forgiveness or permission???

I would like to modestly mod my TL-S, however I'm concerned about warranty issues with the dealer. All I want to do is the following: Intake, stage 2 or 3 exhaust (j-pipe, mid muffler delete, and dyomax resonator), Unorthodox Pulley (stock size).

Given that list, should I just do it and hope the dealer will honor everything, or do you think I should talk to the service manger at my dealer first and explain my plans?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ive never had any issues with my dealer. When I had my Ronjon kit 19" and 1" drop the only thing they said is we are not responsible for damage to the kit when being in for service. after the first visit they always made sure the alignment bay was clear so my car could be serviced.
I never had any issues with any recalls or any complaints about this or that. Some of these techs have been working for many years and im sure they have seen their fair share of a modified car coming in for service. I personally think that if they see that you take care of your car and mod is tastefully they usually strike up a convo and bs with ya and take better care of you because its better than looking at all the stock whips they see 90% of their day You will be fine
Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Ive never had any issues with my dealer. When I had my Ronjon kit 19" and 1" drop the only thing they said is we are not responsible for damage to the kit when being in for service. after the first visit they always made sure the alignment bay was clear so my car could be serviced.
I never had any issues with any recalls or any complaints about this or that. Some of these techs have been working for many years and im sure they have seen their fair share of a modified car coming in for service. I personally think that if they see that you take care of your car and mod is tastefully they usually strike up a convo and bs with ya and take better care of you because its better than looking at all the stock whips they see 90% of their day You will be fine
As terrific as that sounds, I share the OP's same question. I'm already having the intake done because it doesn't normally cause warranty problems and the part is already guaranteed not to void.

As for exhausts, you're gonna have to be careful on that. Again, I want to do the same thing, but I'm pretty sure even with the Magnusson-Moss Act, my dealer will try to say a broken part in my engine came from an altered exhaust. Of course though, they have to prove it.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the service manager might say it'll be ok, but unless you get something in writings, I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say. A favorite phrase of mine has always been "I rather apoloize later than ask for permission now."
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
just keep your stock parts, if something goes wrong slap your stock parts back on
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I asked my service write up guy (who was just promoted to service manager!) specifically about a CAI. He said no problem unless A. I hydrolock the engine or B. I get oil in the intake and mess up the MAF or something. Since I am using an AEM Dryflow V2, no issue with oil and I avoid the deep water. So, should not be a problem at all. Exhaust components are the same thing; they won't void your warranty unless the item you wish to have covered was directly affected by the replacement (ie: aftermarket exhaust rubbing against a brake line and causing it to fail. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Find out which dealers are mod friendly in your area. Simple as that. Some dealers frown upon mods because they are ideots and will blame a transmission issue on a RJ Kit or Tein Suspension and other dealers will actually order the RJ kit, Teins, Comptech Supercharger for you and install them for you.