Another CAI Impressions thread with some pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another CAI Impressions thread with some pictures

So I finally decided to just order the CAI after being on the fence a long time and waiting for a Comptech intake and just got around to getting it installed.

I'm not sure how much work he's looking to get but blktl1 from here on the forums installed the intake for me in 45 minutes flat. He's in Jersey and I definitely reccomend him for this if you don't want to risk possibly taking 4 hours to install the intake.

Also, Excelerate sold and shipped the intake at a reasonable price so check the black market and support the forums if your going to get an intake.

Ok so...

What comes in the box:

The dryflow filter closeup:

Installed:
The intake is obviously the silver powdercoated which I think looks pretty nice and especially on silver TLs, it blends in well. Black would look nicer if they had it in but the Silver looks good in case your on the fence about which color to get.

I have to say after reading so many posts about how great the intake sounded, I was initially disappointed in how quiet it is unless your really gunning it. After a day of driving with it, I have to say I am definitely liking the intake though. Driving normally around town, I don't even think I notice a difference in how loud the car sounded. When your gunning it though, you can definitely it. I was just hoping it would be a little louder...

As for actually feeling performance gains, I have to say the car does feel like it has a little more pep to it. Step on the gas and you get the impression the engine is just getting a lot more air.

All in all, I think its worth getting.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
So I finally decided to just order the CAI after being on the fence a long time and waiting for a Comptech intake and just got around to getting it installed.

I'm not sure how much work he's looking to get but blktl1 from here on the forums installed the intake for me in 45 minutes flat. He's in Jersey and I definitely reccomend him for this if you don't want to risk possibly taking 4 hours to install the intake.

Also, Excelerate sold and shipped the intake at a reasonable price so check the black market and support the forums if your going to get an intake.

Ok so...

What comes in the box:

The dryflow filter closeup:

Installed:
The intake is obviously the silver powdercoated which I think looks pretty nice and especially on silver TLs, it blends in well. Black would look nicer if they had it in but the Silver looks good in case your on the fence about which color to get.

I have to say after reading so many posts about how great the intake sounded, I was initially disappointed in how quiet it is unless your really gunning it. After a day of driving with it, I have to say I am definitely liking the intake though. Driving normally around town, I don't even think I notice a difference in how loud the car sounded. When your gunning it though, you can definitely it. I was just hoping it would be a little louder...

As for actually feeling performance gains, I have to say the car does feel like it has a little more pep to it. Step on the gas and you get the impression the engine is just getting a lot more air.

All in all, I think its worth getting.
how long did it take for you to get it from Excelerate ?so you are saying that it's not loud at all.i was thinking about geting it from him but i was thinking that it's to loud for me what do you think do you have any sound clip of what it sounds like.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Racer

Exelerate sent it pretty quickly. I ordered right before the weekend so when he sent it out it came the next day.

I'm not saying its not loud, just not as loud as I expected. I definitely can't imagine buying an intake that's more quiet. I don't think you'll find it loud at all. When you slam on the gas you'll hear it for sure but otherwise I think its good.

I will try to take a clip but I'm at school again and I won't get near my car again until next weekend.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Exelerate sent it pretty quickly. I order right before the weekend so when he sent it out it came the next day.

I'm not saying its not loud, just not as loud as I expected. I definitely can't imagine buying an intake that's more quiet. I don't think you'll find it loud at all. When you slam on the gas you'll hear it for sure but otherwise I think its good.

I will try to take a clip but I'm at school again and I won't get near my car again until next weekend.
ok cool thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear

Question wondering

I BOUGHT A FUJITA F5 CAI. I WAS WONDERING ABOUT WATER BEING SUCKED INTO THE INTAKE. HAVE YOU HAD ANY PROBLEMS?
Old 10-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Racer

Well I just got it put on Friday and it hasn't rained but if you read any of the 3000 threads on the topic it basically seems to come down to whether you drive in 3 feet of water. Normal rain or even heavy rain shouldn't cause a problem. If I see a lake in my way, I'll just turn around. I'm not all that concerned although I would have rathered if they had a bypass valve just to feel a little safer.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just got it put on Friday and it hasn't rained but if you read any of the 3000 threads on the topic it basically seems to come down to whether you drive in 3 feet of water. Normal rain or even heavy rain shouldn't cause a problem. If I see a lake in my way, I'll just turn around. I'm not all that concerned although I would have rathered if they had a bypass valve just to feel a little safer.
not really 3 feet of water but well said.

does anyone know why a comptech intake for 3G TL hasnt been released yet?
anyone? anyone? i feel that it has been too long of a wait for me and i have only owned my TL for 5 months. sigh....still waiting...impatiently..
Old 10-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

The intake is definately the the best on the market as far as quality. i hav owned both Injen and AEM and AEM is definatley better.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Do you know how much gains you get from that intake?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Racer

I don't know but the car definitely feels more responsive
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
...Black would look nicer...
That's why I painted my silver one black . The silver does look good on SSM, though. Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Racer

BTW, BLKTL1's TL looks awesome in person. I hadn't seen the Ron Jon kit before but me and my friend thought it looked great.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Nick! anyone in the NY/NJ area wants an intake install, I will do it for $40 and will have it done in about 45 minutes give or take. you can wait while I do it. I have done about 12 of them so far. I will also clear headlights for $75.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Racer

Were it not for the fact that the headlights job makes me nervous, I'd take you up on it. Do you have pics of your headlights? Have you had any problems with yours, like water getting in or anything? I'm looking to see what I'll get next so I'm gonna keep this in mind.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Were it not for the fact that the headlights job makes me nervous, I'd take you up on it. Do you have pics of your headlights? Have you had any problems with yours, like water getting in or anything? I'm looking to see what I'll get next so I'm gonna keep this in mind.
i dont have any pics but i can get some. I have had them cleared for about 7months with no leaks or moisture.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

i would love to get the headlights done but im in MD. Any ideas
Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Rock Chalk JayhawkZ

I would love to get the headlights done to but im in kansas. by the way any pics?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DiZlAoSbOiSoFlY
I would love to get the headlights done to but im in kansas. by the way any pics?
I dont have any pics at my disposal at the moment. I will try and get some up by tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Congratulations! You have the Dryflow filter!! I need one of those so I don't have to re-oil when cleaning the filter.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blktl1
I will also clear headlights for $75.
Tell me when your out in Cali Cali prices are $200 and up
Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Instructor

Thanks Nick! anyone in the NY/NJ area wants an intake install, I will do it for $40 and will have it done in about 45 minutes give or take. you can wait while I do it. I have done about 12 of them so far. I will also clear headlights for $75.
where abouts in nj are you? i'm looking to get a cai install. i see you endorse the aem brand. are there different kinds of aem cai that you can get? i seen someone suggesting the cai with the bypass which prevents the cai sucking in water. that would probablely be my choice. where is a good place for me to order the cai? how much should it run me.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
10th Gear

blktl1, where are you in NJ? My AEM CAI is coming this week and $40 seems like a fair price, where can we do it? Email me at mpatyka@hotmail.com.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

does anyone know someone in the southern california area who clears headlights and warranties it?