Another AEM review....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another AEM review....

So I waited for over 3 weeks to get this AEM CAI from Performance Parts in CA for $217 shipped....got it today at around 2PM and was installing it by 3:30.
The install went smooth, hated the fact that I had to drill out a couple of rivets so that the resonator could come appart into two pieces therefore removing the unit took longer than was installing the CAI.
One step was to drain a gallon of antifreeze since you have to disconnect and reconnect some coolant lines but I just lined up the hoses I was about to change and quickly swapped these w/out having to drain the radiator... ..a few drops of coolant dripped out ( blue..uhmm) but I had a few paper towels ready for this.
After that all else was as planned, the instructions were simple a few pictures were kind of misleading but I'm glad this was not my 1st .
There was no mention about removing the front driver side wheel as I did which made the install easier, also a section in the instruction booklet that says to cut and remove the shrink wrap on the O2 sensor, I didn't just made a cut to separate the wires to be able to reach the connector to the actual intake maintaining the insulation of both and the sheath that these were wrapped in.
Sorry no pics since the forecast was rain and I was under the gun hoping to beat it... maybe tomorrow I'll take a few and hope to answer any questions on the install.
OK now for the review:.....I can say that the whistle sound I hear is not as pleasant as the VTEC sound from a DOHC VTEC...just not as powerfull... , but ...that is just the sound my friends, I noticed an immediate increase in response...very noticeable during take offs....I'm impressed...
After seeing the amount of parts I had to remove to get this thing on I know I must have lost at least 2 lbs just in parts, nuts and bolts... , so I give it a 9 on a scale from 1-10..10 being a turbo....
Pics to come tomorrow...sorry it started to rain as I was putting my tools away....
Old 05-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hek i installed my aem over the weekend as well. The removal part was a bitch. But now I am happy. And yea we atleast lose 5 lbs off that resonator. Thing is a bear. The whistle sound does not bother me so much. The thing roars when you are above 4K. I lit it up at a light near a huge wawa gas station, I glanced over and I caught the eye of a g35 coupe owner. Sounds bad ass.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:32 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by coop1018
Hek i installed my aem over the weekend as well. The removal part was a bitch. But now I am happy. And yea we atleast lose 5 lbs off that resonator. Thing is a bear. The whistle sound does not bother me so much. The thing roars when you are above 4K. I lit it up at a light near a huge wawa gas station, I glanced over and I caught the eye of a g35 coupe owner. Sounds bad ass.
coop1018 thanks for the reply I was begining to worry that it was a boring subject beat up to death, but on the installtion did you notice that it required you to move the sensor to the threated hole in the tube , I did it and used the plug supplied by them but I noticed in one of the threads "here" about the Injen install that the sensor was left in the original place (no hole in the tube for the sensor.. ) ....weird uh?...and blame my wife for no pics , she 4got to charge the camera...well it's 630 am maybe I'll sneak a quick one.....picture that is...
Old 05-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

You mean the optional off road use power adder where you take the IAT sensor and hook it in to the treaded portion? Or do you mean removing the coolant lines?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:53 AM
HEK

Pics!!!

You mean the optional off road use power adder where you take the IAT sensor and hook it in to the treaded portion? Or do you mean removing the coolant lines?
The off road use....anyway here are some pics of my 1st mod...

Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I did not do it...does it make a difference? Sound, HP gain?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Instructor

HEK How much do you like it? Can you hear the sound increase while at around 3000RPMS??
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

It depends what gear you are in. If I am in 3rd gear going around 20 mph and stomp on it you can hear it groan
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Banned

is the installation hard? fairly straight foward? I mean i dont want to pay like a 100 bucks to get it installed by a professional.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:04 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by narmeen
HEK How much do you like it? Can you hear the sound increase while at around 3000RPMS??
Like I mentioned before, I had a DOHC and when in VTEC there was this loud growl like it was coming from an exhaust instead of an intake, now with the SOHC, the VTEC sound is raspier....at 4k and over, combined with the dual exhaust I can say it sounds great, I want to have my son drive it while I follow him in his car to have a more exact review, since as is I can only hear it when I have the windows rolled down but can't tell with the windows are up...anyway Honda calls our intake systems COLD AIR, mostly because it takes the cold air from outside the engine compartment...but it's too restrictive to say that the vehicle would benefit from it compared lets say to the one in the Odyssey...too many chambers and bends compared to one bend in a tube that is smooth.
I want to add as a comparison to drinking out of a straw vs the straws they sell for kids that has all these bends so they can see the fluid going thru....it takes much more effort to use the one that is not straight....
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by TL Tita
is the installation hard? fairly straight foward? I mean i dont want to pay like a 100 bucks to get it installed by a professional.
let me say that if I would have never done any work on any car it would be harder than it actually was for me, for example in the instructions it says to drain up to a gallon of antifreeze and save it so that you can reuse it, i didn't do that IMO it wasn't needed, also they never say to loosen the enitre wheel well liner which IMO you should to have the extra room while drilling 2 rivets...so if you're close to MA, Westfield MA $100 is too much, buy me a 30 pack and I'll do it on a weekend....it's time consuming but well worth it....it's my 4th Honda that I have installed a CAI and my 6th if you count my son's and a friend's car....
Old 05-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

hmm... im in redding, CT.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

huh, ur 2 hours away. Arrgg anyone else who wants to help me out?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:01 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by TL Tita
huh, ur 2 hours away. Arrgg anyone else who wants to help me out?
may I ask if you're a female?....simply because if you are the Holyoke Mall is close by and you can spend most of your time there and I wouldn't have to twist my wife's arm to take you there but maybe is not a good idea since you will be driving the vehicle here and by then the temperature would be hard to work with and since I would have to disconnect some anti freeze lines, these would have to be under zero pressure....but as your last resort you can count on me...
Old 05-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Advanced

AEM filter replaced with ApexI Power Intake

Hek, great review!

For all AEM modded owners, do you know what the piping size is? I want to switch out the AEM filter with an ApexI. I couldn't get a definite answer from AEM directly. The ApexI is 80MM.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

THanks. When i get the intake, i def will consider ur help. When i had my M3, i was going to go down to maryland to get my supercharger installed. Nope, im not a female but the mall thing would have been a good place to spend time at. Let me give some thoughts.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:52 AM
HEK

I did not do it...does it make a difference? Sound, HP gain?
I did it because all my other intakes had a hole for this sensor, so why not?...IMHO the sensor will get a TRUE reading closer to the source of air right?....closer to the filter.....

Originally Posted by hondasaurus
Hek, great review!

For all AEM modded owners, do you know what the piping size is? I want to switch out the AEM filter with an ApexI. I couldn't get a definite answer from AEM directly. The ApexI is 80MM.

Thanks.

I hope that the size is the same all around because if it means I have to take off the liner it will have to wait, but maybe at lunch when and if the the rain stops I'll go outside and use my micrometer to measure the tube....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:06 AM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by hondasaurus
Hek, great review!

Thanks.
I just measured since it's still in the box, with my digital calipers, it's 83mm outside diameter where the filter goes.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:48 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by rstark
I just measured since it's still in the box, with my digital calipers, it's 83mm outside diameter where the filter goes.

Thanks for helping out hondasaurus, I was walking out to my car at lunch yesterday with my calipers and didn't realize it was pouring rain so I turned back to my desk....BTW which color did you take, my son says I should have gotten black....
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by HEK
Thanks for helping out hondasaurus, I was walking out to my car at lunch yesterday with my calipers and didn't realize it was pouring rain so I turned back to my desk....BTW which color did you take, my son says I should have gotten black....
I got the red one since we all know red makes more power!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Instructor

I got the RED one Also!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HEK
Like I mentioned before, I had a DOHC and when in VTEC there was this loud growl like it was coming from an exhaust instead of an intake, now with the SOHC, the VTEC sound is raspier....at 4k and over, combined with the dual exhaust I can say it sounds great, I want to have my son drive it while I follow him in his car to have a more exact review, since as is I can only hear it when I have the windows rolled down but can't tell with the windows are up...anyway Honda calls our intake systems COLD AIR, mostly because it takes the cold air from outside the engine compartment...but it's too restrictive to say that the vehicle would benefit from it compared lets say to the one in the Odyssey...too many chambers and bends compared to one bend in a tube that is smooth.
I want to add as a comparison to drinking out of a straw vs the straws they sell for kids that has all these bends so they can see the fluid going thru....it takes much more effort to use the one that is not straight....
HEK, thanks for the pics and initial review. My question is, where is the air filter? Do you have to take off the front tire to change it?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes you do have to remove the front tire and take off the fender liner to access the filter....I got RED as well.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:32 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
HEK, thanks for the pics and initial review. My question is, where is the air filter? Do you have to take off the front tire to change it?
hopefully once you have this intake you wont have to change the filter but maybe remove it once a year to spray it with a K&N cleaner, hose it off , spray some oil and put it right back...... but I think to do this once the intake tube isit's installed you may just turn the wheel to the right and maybe just maybe, there will be enough room to back off the screw from the clamp and pop the filter off...(I'll have to check on that.. )...
Old 05-29-2005, 05:18 AM
SSM 6MT

Originally Posted by HEK
So I waited for over 3 weeks to get this AEM CAI from Performance Parts in CA for $217 shipped....got it today at around 2PM and was installing it by 3:30.
The install went smooth, hated the fact that I had to drill out a couple of rivets so that the resonator could come appart into two pieces therefore removing the unit took longer than was installing the CAI.
One step was to drain a gallon of antifreeze since you have to disconnect and reconnect some coolant lines but I just lined up the hoses I was about to change and quickly swapped these w/out having to drain the radiator... ..a few drops of coolant dripped out ( blue..uhmm) but I had a few paper towels ready for this.
After that all else was as planned, the instructions were simple a few pictures were kind of misleading but I'm glad this was not my 1st .
There was no mention about removing the front driver side wheel as I did which made the install easier, also a section in the instruction booklet that says to cut and remove the shrink wrap on the O2 sensor, I didn't just made a cut to separate the wires to be able to reach the connector to the actual intake maintaining the insulation of both and the sheath that these were wrapped in.
Sorry no pics since the forecast was rain and I was under the gun hoping to beat it... maybe tomorrow I'll take a few and hope to answer any questions on the install.
OK now for the review:.....I can say that the whistle sound I hear is not as pleasant as the VTEC sound from a DOHC VTEC...just not as powerfull... , but ...that is just the sound my friends, I noticed an immediate increase in response...very noticeable during take offs....I'm impressed...
After seeing the amount of parts I had to remove to get this thing on I know I must have lost at least 2 lbs just in parts, nuts and bolts... , so I give it a 9 on a scale from 1-10..10 being a turbo....
Pics to come tomorrow...sorry it started to rain as I was putting my tools away....
I too have just installed this and HEK's review did help. I got it for the same price too from eBay including shipping to Hawaii. Everything went pretty much like HEK's install. I didn't drain a gallon from the radiator either, just a note, when I removed the coolant line from the throttle body, no fluid came out. The other side of that line you have to be quick as the fluid does start pouring out, not a whole lot as long as you're quick to install the replacement coolant line. I would say I spilled less than one ounce of fluid.

Removing the stock resonator was a b!tch. The instructions weren't as clear as I hoped (the images were misleading). When you remove the cover for the stock intake next to the battery, make sure you pull out the round intake underneath it and this will make removing the lower resonator piping smooth.

As for the wheel well removal, you have to remove one clip and two 10mm screws underneath the car and in addition to the three clips to remove in the instructions, I removed one more at the top of the fender well and this opened the fender liner well enough to work with. Please note, the clip at the top of the fender well is smaller than the other clips, just remember that when you re-install the clips.

The installation was pretty easy, and I'm very happy with the results. AEM is a fine intake. I also moved the IAT sensor to the intake. Love the sound and the butt-o-meter says it's making more HP.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro

I have the AEM CAI as well and I am very happy w/ the results!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

AEM Install

Well, I spent a few hours yesterday installing the AEM CAI.

Now, I have never worked on a car before in my life, not even changed the oil in one.

The directions were pretty straight forward. Only tough part was with the coolent tube. I did not drain any coolent, just tried to change the tube out quickly. I think it spilled a few cups of coolent. Checked my coolent level after the install and it was still a little over full.

Some of the bolts were tough to get to.

All and all, I think it took me about 3 hours start to finish. (a lot of the time was trying to find where the picture matched up.)

Only whistle I have is in 1rst and 2nd and very low RPMs. Really have to listen for it with the windows down to hear it.

Car sounds rather normal, maybe a little more rumble, at all RPMs until I hit VTEC.

With VTEC the car really opens up and is much more "throaty" and growls. Not annoying, but very nice.

I do notice a little performance improvement in that the car seems more responsive to the throttle.

Just did it this weekend, so dont notice any gas milage improvement yet.

So all in all, it is very easy for a DYI. Take your time, buy a few beers, and ask someone to hand you the 10mm and 8mm a lot.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:02 PM
SSM 6MT

I think my gas mileage is going to get worse since I'm on the throttle a lot more just to hear the intake!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Review:

I installed my AEM CAI last night...

Lets not talk about how long it took me... well more then double if not triple what it should have...

Anyway, for those of you with the front lip, be warned this is VERY VERY hard to get CAI installed unless you want to remove the lip which would require you finding that tape stuff to put back on...

First part, I took out battery, and then removed the breather hose and the top part of the stock intake.

Next I got the coolant lines off (I spilled some from the hose flying when I yanked it, but other then that not to much.) I see no need to drain any coolant because no matter what some is going to get out. But its very minor.

Next part was the bit**... I took wheel off and I was able to get all of the fender removed but the front part (yeah the one you need the most, lol)

Ya see I have the front lip spoiler and well, its not made to come back off and some screws that hold it on attach to the fender and are covered so you cant get a screw driver to take them off...

Put it this way, if you read the CAI install instructions and then go look at your car (if you have front lip, you will understand.)

Another idea, that "Rstark" gave me (thanks) was to drill a small hole in the lip on the fender side so you can put a screw driver in... I ended up not having to do this but it would help a GREAT deal, and you can always seal the hole with some gray/black rubber...

Anyway, next I got drilled the 2 spots it stated to get the res. off the intake... I took out the bolts I could see, and it turned out to be one more out of site you have to feel for. After all of this, it was home free...

One thing I found, when I installed the new intake was the breather hose AEM gave me was much longer then needed. I cut about 2" off mine and still have more to if I need, but you don’t have to cut if you don’t want... I Also notice that the intake does not go to far onto the eng up to the stop point. You could counter act this by not putting the rubber sizer on as far I guess but I put it all the way on the intake side which made it not reach eng as far but still was on enough...

My driving xp, well car started up fine. I let it idle and update the navi for its 10 min like the navi wanted... Took it out on street and drove it light for a little, then I parked, shut car off, started and started to drive, and beat the crap out of the gas...

1-4 gear I can hear the whistle and hiss when it shifted gears when it did under 3k rpm & higher it made a nice growl sound...

One thing I dislike is when I shut the car off it makes a fart/clunk type sound from the intake kind of like an air compressor turning off..

Oh and my mpg is like 2-3 lower... I did move the ATI sensor, so I feel that may be why because it makes the car use more gas which does = more power but it at cost of mpg...

With regards to that, the ATI sensor does not fit well on the intake. It does not screw all the way up to the 0-ring, it gets tight before then... I got it close using a big ass tool but didnt wana break anything so stoped... Turns out a lot of people had that problem also...

Overall, am not yet sure if I like it or not... Lost gas milage, and got some sounds I dont like, as well as ones I do like. But I guess thats the cost of getting more HP... Always has + and - to mods...

Anyway, if anyone ever needs help installing one in ORL-FL I dont mind to help, (or by phone/message if out of area.) as well as if anyone has ?'s about installing one with a front lip.

I want to thank Rstark for his help, he did guide me with a few things over the phone, so props to him...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Instructor

I like my AEM intake...but the only thing I dont like is the whistling/hissing sound. I get it anytime I accelarate in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear...Intially even if I just touch the gas pedal (at lower RPMs). It lasts for like a second or 2 and then it goes away....but everytime you accelarate, it always comes for a little bit.

BigB2K5 - r u having the same issue??? Anyone else with the same deal or Is it only me...Its very annoying!!!! Please let me know if anyone else with AEM Cold Air Intake is experiencing this...so I will know its not only my TL.

Otherwise, it kicks Ass!
Old 06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by narmeen
I like my AEM intake...but the only thing I dont like is the whistling/hissing sound. I get it anytime I accelarate in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear...Intially even if I just touch the gas pedal (at lower RPMs). It lasts for like a second or 2 and then it goes away....but everytime you accelarate, it always comes for a little bit.

BigB2K5 - r u having the same issue??? Anyone else with the same deal or Is it only me...Its very annoying!!!! Please let me know if anyone else with AEM Cold Air Intake is experiencing this...so I will know its not only my TL.

Otherwise, it kicks Ass!

Yea, mine does it 1-4 and sometimes a little in 5th.

If I am on gas VERY light I wont hear it... If I GUN it I wont hear it, but if I am like moderate I here it.

Does yours make a strange sound when you turn your car off also?

You can only hear if you open door and then turn off car, or maybe open window.

Mine makes this loud sound like its releasing lots of air and it sounds so rice type....
Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigB2k5
Yea, mine does it 1-4 and sometimes a little in 5th.

If I am on gas VERY light I wont hear it... If I GUN it I wont hear it, but if I am like moderate I here it.

Does yours make a strange sound when you turn your car off also?

You can only hear if you open door and then turn off car, or maybe open window.

Mine makes this loud sound like its releasing lots of air and it sounds so rice type....

Yeah - U r right....when I am on gas moderate or light - I can hear the sound. ALso when I start my car - @ idle I also hear a little hissing/whistling sound.
I havent noticed the turning off one - I will try to hear for it today when I go for lunch or either when I get home...will let u know!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Racer

BigB2K5 - I recently got front lip installed, now I have CAI coming tomm, how can I intstall without removing the lip?

thanks in advance.

james
Old 06-06-2005, 07:14 PM
HEK

So we did our installs and we are happy?...happy enough to admit that we've also installed the license frame or stickers from AEM??.....
Not me ....my son did on his car when he got the AEM V2...and U?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HEK
So we did our installs and we are happy?...happy enough to admit that we've also installed the license frame or stickers from AEM??.....
Not me ....my son did on his car when he got the AEM V2...and U?

No sticker or frame on my car,

Originally Posted by DARK6mt
BigB2K5 - I recently got front lip installed, now I have CAI coming tomm, how can I intstall without removing the lip?

thanks in advance.

james
Your going to need to get one of them 90 degree scren drivers. I had one thats like a rench type, not sure if the Z looking one will fit, but anyway, you will be able to get like 1-3 turns on the screen around the finder behind the lip. (top part is just a clip, lower one is screw..) then you have to use your finger and fight with it to get that screw all the way out... Then the braket will fall off... (you will need to remove front 2 screws also b4 this.). then you can look under the car and remove the clip and 2 bolts that are by the fender that help hold the lip on... After this you can flip the liner around the lip...

Now the hard part will be screwing the braket back on... It took me like 1 hour to get the screw back in because you have to get the bracket lined up, and screw in with your finder with your hand at an angle... once you get screw in enough you can fit the screwdriver tool in to tightn it...

Another option I was advised, was that you can drill a small hole in front of the screw your going to try to take out and put a screw driver through the hole... then fill hole in with something... Its not in a spot anyone would see really...

Hope this helps some... You will prob understand more once you go to do it..
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Just did mine a few hours ago. Took me 5 hours, 3 of which I was trying to remove the damn resonator! That thing is a bitch to remove. The bolts are also way back there as well. I hear the whistling noise when stepping on the gas moderately hard, but not when pressing lightly. I've only taken her down my street breifly so I didn't really feel a difference. I will open her up on the highway in the morning to see if there is any power gain. Looks cool though
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
My Review:

I installed my AEM CAI last night...

Lets not talk about how long it took me... well more then double if not triple what it should have...

Anyway, for those of you with the front lip, be warned this is VERY VERY hard to get CAI installed unless you want to remove the lip which would require you finding that tape stuff to put back on...

First part, I took out battery, and then removed the breather hose and the top part of the stock intake.

Next I got the coolant lines off (I spilled some from the hose flying when I yanked it, but other then that not to much.) I see no need to drain any coolant because no matter what some is going to get out. But its very minor.

Next part was the bit**... I took wheel off and I was able to get all of the fender removed but the front part (yeah the one you need the most, lol)

Ya see I have the front lip spoiler and well, its not made to come back off and some screws that hold it on attach to the fender and are covered so you cant get a screw driver to take them off...

Put it this way, if you read the CAI install instructions and then go look at your car (if you have front lip, you will understand.)

Another idea, that "Rstark" gave me (thanks) was to drill a small hole in the lip on the fender side so you can put a screw driver in... I ended up not having to do this but it would help a GREAT deal, and you can always seal the hole with some gray/black rubber...

Anyway, next I got drilled the 2 spots it stated to get the res. off the intake... I took out the bolts I could see, and it turned out to be one more out of site you have to feel for. After all of this, it was home free...

One thing I found, when I installed the new intake was the breather hose AEM gave me was much longer then needed. I cut about 2" off mine and still have more to if I need, but you don’t have to cut if you don’t want... I Also notice that the intake does not go to far onto the eng up to the stop point. You could counter act this by not putting the rubber sizer on as far I guess but I put it all the way on the intake side which made it not reach eng as far but still was on enough...

My driving xp, well car started up fine. I let it idle and update the navi for its 10 min like the navi wanted... Took it out on street and drove it light for a little, then I parked, shut car off, started and started to drive, and beat the crap out of the gas...

1-4 gear I can hear the whistle and hiss when it shifted gears when it did under 3k rpm & higher it made a nice growl sound...

One thing I dislike is when I shut the car off it makes a fart/clunk type sound from the intake kind of like an air compressor turning off..

Oh and my mpg is like 2-3 lower... I did move the ATI sensor, so I feel that may be why because it makes the car use more gas which does = more power but it at cost of mpg...

With regards to that, the ATI sensor does not fit well on the intake. It does not screw all the way up to the 0-ring, it gets tight before then... I got it close using a big ass tool but didnt wana break anything so stoped... Turns out a lot of people had that problem also...

Overall, am not yet sure if I like it or not... Lost gas milage, and got some sounds I dont like, as well as ones I do like. But I guess thats the cost of getting more HP... Always has + and - to mods...

Anyway, if anyone ever needs help installing one in ORL-FL I dont mind to help, (or by phone/message if out of area.) as well as if anyone has ?'s about installing one with a front lip.

I want to thank Rstark for his help, he did guide me with a few things over the phone, so props to him...
I guess I am totally mystified by this one? I have installed the Injen as well as subsequently the AEM unit (changed brands) and have the entire A-spec package (front lip,ect) AND NEVER HAD TO REMOVE THE BUMPER OR FRONT LIP AT ALL? What the hell? I would think the average person would figure out fairly quickly before they followed those cheezy directions that gee....take off the bumper....take off the front wheel and inner wheel well...which one sounds easier? And even a cursory read of anything in Acurazine should have told you not to do this and that this was a total waste of time and unnecessary (to remove bumper and front lip)! I am not dogging you out here....JUST RECOMMENDING YOU DO MORE RESEARCH NEXT TIME HERE ON ACURAZINE AS IT WILL SAVE YOU HUGE TIME AND TROUBLES! Would it trip you out to hear that I have done one of these things in less than 1/2 hour! Just remove the wheel...inner wheel well....and BAM...everything you need is right there! No need to remove front bumper whatsoever! Total gained time had you researched here properly before installed = at least two hours you would have gained!

This install....done by a total newbie...if they did their research on Acurazine 3G garage beforehand would have been less than two hours max!

Use the information man! Thats what its here for! Anyway...congrats on the install, hope all goes well from here. Sorry you felt you had mixed reviews, but I think you are underestimating its value for sure! And if gas milage is really something you are worried about.....WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING PERFORMANCE MODS TO YOUR CAR FOR? That almost makes one question your sanity! Why one would do performance mods and expect higher gas milage? Dude, you are gonna be flooring it more for starters!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:36 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLTony
Just did mine a few hours ago. Took me 5 hours, 3 of which I was trying to remove the damn resonator! That thing is a bitch to remove. The bolts are also way back there as well. I hear the whistling noise when stepping on the gas moderately hard, but not when pressing lightly. I've only taken her down my street breifly so I didn't really feel a difference. I will open her up on the highway in the morning to see if there is any power gain. Looks cool though
It'll be there when you hit it...you will love it, rest assured!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Wow! You are right! I gave her some gas today and she responds better and feels more powerful. I not sure how much more stronger she is, but I can feel the pull with less resistance. I was skeptical but not anymore. I need more mods!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I'm glad it sounds more sporty than it does rice . I want the comptech exhaust next after I get my a-spec body kit. I never thought I would do these things to my car, but the TL is so exciting to own. This is a great forum by the way. Lots of useful information.

Quick Reply: Another AEM review....