Aem Voids Part Of Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem Voids Part Of Warranty?

Today I called an acura dealer to see if installing an aftermarket intake will void my warranty and he said that YES!!..
I've read somewhere that there shouldn't be any problems at all with the warranty but he told me that it would void the engines warranty...
Is this true or the service representative that I talked to was a f***ing jerk??

Please need to know this cause I;m going to order one this weekend...

Thanks a lot guys..
Old 10-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the intake sucks water up into the engine...then yes. your warranty will be voided.

but the warranty can only be voided if the problem or break down that has incured is proven that the specific aftermarket part you installed caused the problem.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by kimacuratl
Today I called an acura dealer to see if installing an aftermarket intake will void my warranty and he said that YES!!..
I've read somewhere that there shouldn't be any problems at all with the warranty but he told me that it would void the engines warranty...
Is this true or the service representative that I talked to was a f***ing jerk??

Thanks a lot guys..

Do some more research on this, I know there has been actual legal cases and there is a law that I forgot the name of that states what NFL said in his post. Btw if mods voided a warranty then why do a lot of dealers sell comptech parts? Go to the comptech website and look up dealers and see how many acura dealers sell comptech parts. I think you just got a jerk.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by flvol77
Do some more research on this, I know there has been actual legal cases and there is a law that I forgot the name of that states what NFL said in his post. Btw if mods voided a warranty then why do a lot of dealers sell comptech parts? Go to the comptech website and look up dealers and see how many acura dealers sell comptech parts. I think you just got a jerk.
yea most likely the dealer was giving u the run around because they don't want u installing after market parts that can cause problems that they would have to pay for in the long run.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Team Anthracite Member

It's called the Magnuson Moss Law!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by zhalvaje
It's called the Magnuson Moss Law!

awesome, thank you.

I will have to do some research on that just in case my dealer gives me any problems.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by flvol77
awesome, thank you.

I will have to do some research on that just in case my dealer gives me any problems.
This might help you.

MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov. For additional information, check out the following links:

Consumers Bill of Rights
What You Can Do If Your Warranty Is Denied
Federal Warranty Laws
Vehicle Manufacturer Warranty Contact Phone Numbers
Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Thank you so much guys.. Now I can just go for the AEM...
Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

just be careful with an intake....as its unlikely to happen, it still may especially with all this freakish weather going on...i don't know how things are in California but here in jersey were getting pounded with rain and im sure that it would cause a minor problem for a few people in jersey.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
just be careful with an intake....as its unlikely to happen, it still may especially with all this freakish weather going on...i don't know how things are in California but here in jersey were getting pounded with rain and im sure that it would cause a minor problem for a few people in jersey.
I drove thru torrential rain between Chicago and MA, no rvers to cross but had no issues with the AEM CAI on my baby except it was making gas...lol 32 mpg on the road...ohhahh
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kimacuratl

Thanks a lot guys..
No, it's absolutely none sense. One of my friend had his intake installed in his integra Type R at acura dealership. Sometimes, certain service rep can be an ass....
Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Certified Hater

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
No, it's absolutely none sense. One of my friend had his intake installed in his integra Type R at acura dealership. Sometimes, certain service rep can be an ass....

Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Magnusson Moss Warranty Act is not an absolute protection for us.

It doesn't clearly define how the dealership/warranter is supposed to link the cause of the problem to the modification(s) present on the car.

For instance, your wheel bearing has worn out prematurely and you have lowering springs on your car. The dealership will say that the lowering of the vehicle has put increased stress on the suspension components, thus killing the wheel bearing. Now what are you going to say to that? You can sit there and argue all day, but that will be their stance and the end of story.

Its main purpose was to protect the rest of the warranty. Using the last example, lowering springs would clearly have nothing to do with, say, a bad throttle body. Believe it or not, it used to be that they would void your entire warranty, even for the parts of the car that would not be affected by the modification(s) present. That was the main purpose of the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. So don't rely on that too much.

As for the dealerships installing parts, some will do it while others will not. For instance, the dealership I got my car from does not like modifications and the Service Manager expressly told me that my warranty related to the suspension has been completely voided. They will not install aftermarket parts. But I've seen dealerships with performance shops inside, so it just depends on where you go.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
if the intake sucks water up into the engine...then yes. your warranty will be voided.

but the warranty can only be voided if the problem or break down that has incured is proven that the specific aftermarket part you installed caused the problem.
Basically....you hit the nail right on the head! You just got some old fuddy duddy service guy! And he probably figured if you were calling him asking this question...that you would then want them to install it!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Magnusson Moss Warranty Act is not an absolute protection for us.

It doesn't clearly define how the dealership/warranter is supposed to link the cause of the problem to the modification(s) present on the car.

For instance, your wheel bearing has worn out prematurely and you have lowering springs on your car. The dealership will say that the lowering of the vehicle has put increased stress on the suspension components, thus killing the wheel bearing. Now what are you going to say to that? You can sit there and argue all day, but that will be their stance and the end of story.

Its main purpose was to protect the rest of the warranty. Using the last example, lowering springs would clearly have nothing to do with, say, a bad throttle body. Believe it or not, it used to be that they would void your entire warranty, even for the parts of the car that would not be affected by the modification(s) present. That was the main purpose of the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. So don't rely on that too much.

As for the dealerships installing parts, some will do it while others will not. For instance, the dealership I got my car from does not like modifications and the Service Manager expressly told me that my warranty related to the suspension has been completely voided. They will not install aftermarket parts. But I've seen dealerships with performance shops inside, so it just depends on where you go.
Great take on this....I would listen to this one! That is a great explaination of the situation!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:21 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
if you do lock you engine with water then tow the car back you your house and install your stock air box and filter. im half kidding though if that ever happens to me i figure it wouldnt hurt.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
if you do lock you engine with water then tow the car back you your house and install your stock air box and filter. im half kidding though if that ever happens to me i figure it wouldnt hurt.
It would not matter at this point if you had the original intake on, the dealer an Acura will claim that you drove the car in water deep enough to be sucked in the engine and this is not a warranty issue!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Racer

it hasn't been a problem w/ my Injen here in Jersey. i use my Toy 4wd pickup to take my CANOE to the water. i don't drive my TL thru it.

also, keep in mind that there is no warranty coverage if you suck water into the STOCK intake....
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchnew
It would not matter at this point if you had the original intake on, the dealer an Acura will claim that you drove the car in water deep enough to be sucked in the engine and this is not a warranty issue!

good point....that would be a bitch of an argument