AEM Intake Dyno - GOOD GAINS

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclamation AEM Intake Dyno - GOOD GAINS

Hi,

Would like to say hello to all the members
Im From Canada,Ontario & I drive a 2005 Acura TL 6spd-Navi.

I ordered a Aem Polished Intake and was going to do the install myself... But I decided to have a shop that works on my other cars to do the install right on the dyno. Back to Back dyno about 1 hour apart ! B4 Aem Intake Install & After !
I think the gains are REALLY GOOD ! { DYNO ON BOTTOM }

Base : 209.39whp & 191.70wtq

Aem Intake : 226.29whp & 205.89wtq

= 16.9whp & 14.19wtq Gains

Not bad for an intake I picked up for $145.
You feel a power difference & the sound is NICE as well .

Next mods are Tein fully adj. Coilovers, and a FULL exhaust system.
Probably Greddy & not to sure on the J-pipe company yet.
Who do you guys suggest for Catback? And for the J-pipe?
Im aiming for the 250+/- whp mark, just enough for a comfortable Daily ride.
I have a 251whp 1999 Acura El (Turbo Singlecam) and a 518whp (Built B16 eg civic coupe) - For the days when I want to ummmmmmm ...... GO FAST

Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice gains above 3k RPM but it looks like you lost a fair bit of power below that compared to stock. Hmm....
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
I think you must have had a dirty air filter, because the car should dyno about 220 ish stock. The CAI didn't give you 16 hp maybe the exhaust did, but the CAI makes about 5-6 hp at best.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
He doesn't have an exhaust. But yea, those are too surprising, he should have gained no more than 7HP. But the GReddy was d/c, so you might have to buy one used. As far as j-pipe, the RV-6 V3 j-pipe is the best you can get.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Something was going on with the base numbers, they were very low. The hp number is almost exactly what my stock 5at put down.

A CAI on a dyno is not going to give you anything assuming the dyno is done with the hood up and the factory filter was not very dirty.

It will give you some power in real life on the street but think about this.... You're dynoing with the hood up for the base run and the CAI run. The engine is getting the same temperature air from on both runs. How does the CAI make more power on a dyno?? It can't.

This is one reason it's good to have several runs each of the before and after.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Something was going on with the base numbers, they were very low. The hp number is almost exactly what my stock 5at put down.

A CAI on a dyno is not going to give you anything assuming the dyno is done with the hood up and the factory filter was not very dirty.

It will give you some power in real life on the street but think about this.... You're dynoing with the hood up for the base run and the CAI run. The engine is getting the same temperature air from on both runs. How does the CAI make more power on a dyno?? It can't.

This is one reason it's good to have several runs each of the before and after.
It looks like those are standard numbers too. When I did my runs I asked for printouts of the SAE net numbers which were slightly less than the standard numbers. My 5at put down 227.2 SAE net HP on a dynojet on an 86 degree day with 50% humidity, and I drove the car 45 minutes to get to the place . I definitely agree that his baseline numbers are low, and there is no way a CAI will increase power to the wheels by that much. I wonder if they had the car in the same gear for both runs.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Talking

Ok this is the very reason why I decided to do the install at a shop with a DYNO. To prove how much REAL power this intake makes!
5 runs were done... all in 4th gear. All the runs were stopped at 4th gear 6,600rpm-6,800rpm ish. The hood was open for all 5 runs. No dyno fans. First (2) dyno runs were stock. (Only thing I did to the car 2 weeks prior to dyno was : Oil change/Filter Change, Changed all 6 spark plugs, ignition coil number 4, and the stock air filter. With all the parts being bought from Acura )

3 dyno runs were done with the Aem intake install. All made the exact same power, 1 run made 1 less whp and 1 more wtq.

Another stock Tl was dyno'd b4 on this dyno 6-spd making 210whp & 195wtq. ( It was done on a dyno day )
The temps. were obviously different among other things so....

Anyways the point is : the car made 209whp/191wtq b4 intake & 226whp/205wtq after Aem install. Both runs were done right b4/after on the same car, on the same dyno with in an hour from each other.

You can all say an intake robs power, an intake makes 5whp, an intake makes 45whp etc....
Point is, it's all talk/opinion (no proof !)
To all the haters out there :
If your TL is stock go buy a Aem intake go to a dyno and pay them to dyno it b4, install it on the dyno and dyno right away.
And to all the haters who already have an intake :
Go to a dyno shop pay them to remove it, pay them to put on the restrictive 5pieces or so (factory intake) dyno it, and pay them to put on an AEM cai and dyno it right away!

Honestly I don't work for Aem or anything like that, Im just a guy who has been building cars for the past 15 years who just got a 2005 Tl and wanted to "prove" how much "REAL" power a AEM cai would make.

When I do the j-pipe install I will do the same thing b4 and right after, when I do the cat-back install I will do the same thing. So this way "I" know how much "real" "power" is being made, so I don't have to read " An intake is an intake it only adds 1.9whp on a cold day " And don't be cheap and say your ebay intake is just like a AEM hit the dyno and show your gains!

Furthermore if your gonna post and disagree with me, prove it !
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Oh and forgot to say that we performed the last step on the Aem instructions with the IAT sensor relocation. This mod alone must of added 14.9whp
Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
^lmao
Old 11-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya sorry hate to break it to ya but thats impossible to get almost 17whp hp and 14wtq gains off an intake (atleast for the Tl's) i purchased the rv6 jpipe and precat deletes, and a short ram intake and gained about 20 whp and 15 wtq off all three!
The following users liked this post:
4drturbo (06-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TLOHTL
Ok this is the very reason why I decided to do the install at a shop with a DYNO. To prove how much REAL power this intake makes!
5 runs were done... all in 4th gear. All the runs were stopped at 4th gear 6,600rpm-6,800rpm ish. The hood was open for all 5 runs. No dyno fans. First (2) dyno runs were stock. (Only thing I did to the car 2 weeks prior to dyno was : Oil change/Filter Change, Changed all 6 spark plugs, ignition coil number 4, and the stock air filter. With all the parts being bought from Acura )

3 dyno runs were done with the Aem intake install. All made the exact same power, 1 run made 1 less whp and 1 more wtq.

Another stock Tl was dyno'd b4 on this dyno 6-spd making 210whp & 195wtq. ( It was done on a dyno day )

Anyways the point is : the car made 209whp/191wtq b4 intake & 226whp/205wtq after Aem install. Both runs were done right b4/after on the same car, on the same dyno with in an hour from each other.

You can all say an intake robs power, an intake makes 5whp, an intake makes 45whp etc....
If your TL is stock go buy a Aem intake go to a dyno and pay them to dyno it b4, install it on the dyno and dyno right away.
Go to a dyno shop pay them to remove it, pay them to put on the restrictive 5pieces or so (factory intake) dyno it, and pay them to put on an AEM cai and dyno it right away!

Honestly I don't work for Aem or anything like that, Im just a guy who has been building cars for the past 15 years who just got a 2005 Tl and wanted to "prove" how much "REAL" power a AEM cai would make.

When I do the j-pipe install I will do the same thing b4 and right after, when I do the cat-back install I will do the same thing. So this way "I" know how much "real" "power" is being made, so I don't have to read " An intake is an intake it only adds 1.9whp on a cold day " And don't be cheap and say your ebay intake is just like a AEM hit the dyno and show your gains!

Ok, you're one of those. I'm a hater. You gained 100hp from your CAI. Enjoy.

As for proof, I've measured vacuum in the TL's intake tract and it's almost non existant with the stock setup. The cold air makes no difference because the hood is up so you're saying the engineers left nearly 20hp on the table with the factory plumbing... You're only elminating about a foot of plumbing if that and installing a filter that flows 10x more than the engine can use vs one that flow 2x as much lol. "Real world" results would be driving down the street with the hood down, not the dyno.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts

15 years of "building cars", and still oblivious with the basics.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Talking

It is what it is. I do NOT understand how people still can't believe the facts.

If anyone wants to prove me wrong : Go spend some money, order a Aem cai, go to a shop that has a dyno and do some b4 or after.

Im speaking from experience with proof, Im not saying " wow this intake turned the TL into a beast it must of added 30whp " The butt dyno you feel a difference, and the REAL difference is the b4/after dyno to prove the butt dyno is feeling REAL gains.

At the end of the day it's still just a TL.
Point of this thread was to show proof of what an Aem cai offers on a stock Tl b4/after dyno results.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
but your dyno runs are full of variables.
not to mention low base numbers.
4drturbo (06-16-2019)
Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

If anyone wants to prove me wrong : Go spend some money, order a Aem cai, go to a shop that has a dyno and do some b4 or after.

Im speaking from experience with proof, Im not saying " wow this intake turned the TL into a beast it must of added 30whp " The butt dyno you feel a difference, and the REAL difference is the b4/after dyno to prove the butt dyno is feeling REAL gains.

Point of this thread was to show proof of what an Aem cai offers on a stock Tl b4/after dyno results.
Proof is taking it down the 1/4 before and after. Comparing mph will tell you if you gained anything. This is what the car is doing on the road, not what it's doing stationary on a dyno with the hood up. This is especially important when comparing CAIs which don't really function on the dyno.

Others have dyno'd before and after a CAI and many were at the error level of the dyno. There are so many variables here.

I totally understand your point of the dyno being better than the butt dyno....it is. But something is flawed especially with the very low base numbers.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

You've been watching too much Fast and the Furious.

Listen to IHC.

80% of Acurazine has a CAI and have dynoed. We all know what it makes and what it doesn't. Your dyno was probably uncorrected SAE.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
shit this reminds me i wanna take my car to the dyno....

those numbers seem too high for an intake but well....u got the proof....even thow there may be variables as mentioned earlier.....

which also reminds me i have to take my car to the track LOL....
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
but if he drives with his hood open shouldnt he gain some more hp......
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
You've been watching too much Fast and the Furious.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thread is a fail AEM intake is not giving you 16.9whp & 14.19wtq!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Guys, stop feeding the troll.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Instructor

Talking

Ok this is honestly a joke.
I don't have time to waste on this B.S.
Say what you want to say.
Im saying this intake added the power it added and have proof.
Has 80% of this forum who "have a aem cai" dyno'd there stock Tl b4 and right after on the dyno?

If you have nothing postive to say, and NO PROOF, then kindly st*u!

Any1 want to say this intake adds 3-6whp? Sure say it... after you put your stock Tl on a dyno and them put this Aem cai. Then and only then.... if you see 3-6whp gains then you can say what you want to say!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Base : 209.39whp & 191.70wtq

Aem Intake : 226.29whp & 205.89wtq

= 16.9whp & 14.19wtq Gains

End of STORY!!!

Don't agree with me? GREAT!
Sean Waterloo (02-29-2020)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Lol. You just don't get it. At least your CAI brought you up from stock 5at numbers to stock 6mt numbers.
4drturbo (06-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I was going to reply but nevermind
Old 11-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I wonder how a V2 would stand.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ on TLOHTL prolly like 26.4354359whp & 24.19213213wtq Gains
Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well bottom line is that if his numbers show that he made that much by putting in an AEM then no one can argue it. wether or not his numbers were low to begin with, he did gain what he claims to have gained. I really don't see the point of all this arguing, the proof is in the pudding, he did a baseline, got the numbers, installed the AEM and got the numbers again. end of story.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by g2teg
well bottom line is that if his numbers show that he made that much by putting in an AEM then no one can argue it. wether or not his numbers were low to begin with, he did gain what he claims to have gained. I really don't see the point of all this arguing, the proof is in the pudding, he did a baseline, got the numbers, installed the AEM and got the numbers again. end of story.
The only proof is he was overlooking some variable somewhere. Why not 100hp? Would you say the same if he picked up 100hp? The car dyno'd lower than stock numbers on the baseline and it dyno'd stock numbers after the CAI.

As more proof something was wrong, he lost power below 3,000rpm. A CAI can not cause a loss in low end period. Maybe there were issues with the rpm pickup. That would cause a significant change in readings.

Do you not care about the absolute number at all? The ending number is about what a stock 6mt dynos, maybe a couple extra hp but that's it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
hmmm
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
How about if your spark plugs were horribly fouled and improperly gapped. You could do a before/after dyno of changing your spark plugs and see a 15HP gain there too. Does that mean that particular model of plugs nets 15HP for all cars?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stvtec
How about if your spark plugs were horribly fouled and improperly gapped. You could do a before/after dyno of changing your spark plugs and see a 15HP gain there too. Does that mean that particular model of plugs nets 15HP for all cars?
no, but by doing that, you got a 15hp gain. not every car is the same. if you take 2 stock cars, theres a good chance that the numbers wont be the same. Maybe his car was weak to begin with and by changing the intake he got the power he should have had to begin with.

Last edited by g2teg; 11-16-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

no, but by doing that, you got a 15hp gain. not every car is the same. if you take 2 stock cars, theres a good chance that the numbers wont be the same. Maybe his car was weak to begin with and by changing the intake he got the power he should have had to begin with.
You realize that's impossible unless it came from the factory with a rag shoved into the inlet pipe.

Even if it were weaker than stock, a CAI will still give roughly the same gains.

A dyno is usually a good comparison tool. For all we know, the operator may be manipulating the before numbers. I've seen it done, it's very possible with a dynojet and people tend to come back for more when they leave happy.

I believe the OP completely and I believe his intentions are good, but when you have really oddball numbers that go against the other 100 or so dynos you have to start questioning things. Especially when it starts out 25hp lower than stock. The onlyh thing that makes sense is an extremely plugged factory air filter.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You realize that's impossible unless it came from the factory with a rag shoved into the inlet pipe.

Even if it were weaker than stock, a CAI will still give roughly the same gains.

A dyno is usually a good comparison tool. For all we know, the operator may be manipulating the before numbers. I've seen it done, it's very possible with a dynojet and people tend to come back for more when they leave happy.

I believe the OP completely and I believe his intentions are good, but when you have really oddball numbers that go against the other 100 or so dynos you have to start questioning things. Especially when it starts out 25hp lower than stock. The onlyh thing that makes sense is an extremely plugged factory air filter.
who knows, he could have got a lemon?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
who knows, he could have got a lemon?
Right, and the CAI fixed that and turned it into Minute Maid Lemonade.
paperboy42190 (10-25-2014)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Right, and the CAI fixed that and turned it into Minute Maid Lemonade.
who knows, maybe the ecu is now seeing more air and adjusted to that. but at the end of the day, who cares? he talking about 15 or so hp, what if he got 10, would this still be a debate cause its only 4 more than "everyone" else?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Im just a guy who has been building cars for the past 15 years who just got a 2005 Tl
Yet, you had a SHOP install an INTAKE for you?? Way to go big guy

Seriously, you just need to stop talking and listen to I Hate Cars... he knows what he's talking about.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

Why not 100hp?
Are you serious I HATE CARS?

Point is I did a few baselines, had the shop install the intake on the dyno and did a few more pulls.

Why did I let a shop install an intake?
Because Im stupid and don't know how to....

BECAUSE I ALREADY SAID : THE POINT OF HAVING THE SHOP WITH THE DYNO DO IT, WAS BECAUSE THE BASELINES COULD BE DONE, INTAKE INSTALLED RIGHT AWAY AND DYNO DONE AGAIN RIGHT AWAY.... SO THERE AREN'T (TOO MANY VARIABLES)

MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE WENT TO THE DYNO, DROVE HOME PUT THE INTAKE ON MYSELF AND DRIVE BACK TO THE DYNO. OH BUT THIS WOULD BE EVEN MORE MESSED UP.
" THE DYNOS WERE NOT DONE AT THE SAME TIME " etc...

Im no bragging about 16whp... like seriously !!!
This thread was simply made to show "my TL" baseline then right after with an AEM.
I did this for future TL owners who might consider buying a AEM intake and wanted to know what "true" gains they could expect !

And P.S. I don't think anyone on this forum has done this b4. Baseline, install intake and re dyno all at the same time in a 2 hour time frame on the dyno. I could be wrong, if so please post up the results!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

I'm not going to bother searching for a dyno, let alone there are videos with dynosheets on youtube. You did not get 16HP from the CAI. I laughed at the "true gains" part. You're like the guy who said the Apexi Neo would add 40-50 WHP, if that was possible without FI, than I don't think anyone would buy a FI product.

We're not saying you're lying, but the dyno is obviously incorrect. You're arguing against people that have worked on cars for over 20+ years and know nearly everything about them. The Comptech Exhaust + AEM intake gained like 15ish WHP, so you're telling me the Comptech Exhaust made 0 gains. :/
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
In the end, we are talking 4 vs 16HP! I know that the debate is to make sure the unaware aren't being misled but this can only end badly.

I agree with IHC that the base numbers are low but if the OP can do dyno runs and that's what he got, that's what he got. I personally would have been pissed that the base was so low and would have done a few pulls to get an average. Same with the post CAI pulls.

If you want numbers, go FI!!

Quick Reply: AEM Intake Dyno - GOOD GAINS