AEM CAI hissing sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM CAI hissing sound

I want to do AEM on my car but am concerned about that whistling/hissing sound a lot of u mentioned. i wonder if that's a design thing or just installation angle or something?

so the quesiton is: do any of u, who have AEM, don't hear the Hissing sound at all or that's a given when use AEM? what about other CAI? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i believe that is a typical characteristic of the AEM CAI. i was just as concerned when i had one installed on my integra gsr 2 years ago. it made that whistling noise also, but then my brothers' civic si made the same whistling noise as well as my buddies integra type r both with AEM's CAI. i still have the integra and there seems to be no problems im aware of. just a filter that needs to be cleaned. i am expecting the same whistle noise when i get one for my TL, i've gotten used to it already.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you will have that noise with any CAI. the noise is because the filter is open and you can just hear the engine sucking in the air. With the stock airbox, the filter is enclosed so the plastic covers up that noise.

I had it on my '90 Chevy truck and my '99 TL with the AEM V2. But dont be worried about it, most people really like the sound and you can barely hear it unless you get out of the car and put your ear down by the filter - the main sound change happens when you floor it and hit VTEC.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttliang
I want to do AEM on my car but am concerned about that whistling/hissing sound a lot of u mentioned. i wonder if that's a design thing or just installation angle or something?

so the quesiton is: do any of u, who have AEM, don't hear the Hissing sound at all or that's a given when use AEM? what about other CAI? Thanks.
Well... to be honest. The AEM Cold Air Intake for our 3G-TL is alot larger than the previous models. Since the tube is alot bigger, it sort of reduce, if not, eliminated the hissing sound entirely. I've had the AEM CAI in my 6MT TL for about a year now... I have not recalled hearing any hissing sound .

Hope that helps...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It make a hiss in my 3rd gen TL. The hiss I kind of like, what sometimes gets to me a little bit is the shrill squeak or whistle it makes at a certain rpm. It's only a short chirp but the average passerby would probably assume your brakes were squeaky.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
tTLiang

is the installation reversible? i mean if it has some frequency that drive my lady crazy or something, can i go back to the stock? thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is the installation reversible? i mean if it has some frequency that drive my lady crazy or something, can i go back to the stock? thanks.
lol of course...if u save the Stock Air Box....thats whats so great about bolt ons...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Got Pearl?

My wife loves the noise from the CAI.....and she loves the exhaust and the aspec suspenison.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
lol of course...if u save the Stock Air Box....thats whats so great about bolt ons...
But remember they all talked about some drilling to get the resonator off or things like that (supposely the bitchy part). is that reversible?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I had the same concern, but believe me, it is not that noticable unless you row down your window and really step on the gas. I barely hear it at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
tTLiang

"Say goodbye to oiled AEM filters forever. Effective November 1st, 2005, all AEM intake systems will include a DRYFLOW Synthetic air filter! This includes our Cold Air, Short Ram, V2, Hybrid and Brute Force Intake Systems!

NEVER OIL YOUR AIR FILTER AGAIN
AEM DRYFLOW Synthetic filter eliminates any warranty concerns on new vehicles because there is no chance of oil traveling up the inlet path and damaging the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor. It also much easier to clean and since you don have to oil after cleaning (or wait for the oil to wick), service time is cut by approximately 90%! Just soap it, rinse it, shake it dry and go! "

make sure u get the dryflow. all ebay stuff is still the old oil filters. i think that's why price is so low ~$190.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Cold Racketeer

what the hell? oil the air filter? i guess i have a lot to learn. I thought you just did a simple cleaning and replaced... maybe i better look it up. Any links to how to clean the AEM air filter?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
tTLiang

yeah the oil filter needs to cleaned once a while. you buy the cleaner spray bottle and spray the stuff on it. wait a while then rinse with water. repeat if necessary. after cleaning, you apply the special K&N (for example) filter oil to the filter to rejuvenate the filter.

AEM dryflow you just mix their solution with water in a bucket and do the washing machine like agitation using your hand. rinse with clean water (repeat until clean) and shake dry. that' it. you can get the dryflow filter now to replace your existing oil filter. they tested this stuff. it's supposed to be better.

go to http://www.aempower.com/default.asp to get more info on tests and how to clean.

how do i know all this stuff and i don't even have AEM yet
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Cold Racketeer

Wow... thanks for info on that. Probably I would just wait the couple of years and then replace my standard aem filter with a dry flow when that time came, rather than clean and oil the old one?

i assume you meant air filter, not oil filter in your first sentence..... oiling an air filter makes everything confusing huh?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
"Say goodbye to oiled AEM filters forever. Effective November 1st, 2005, all AEM intake systems will include a DRYFLOW Synthetic air filter! This includes our Cold Air, Short Ram, V2, Hybrid and Brute Force Intake Systems!

NEVER OIL YOUR AIR FILTER AGAIN
AEM DRYFLOW Synthetic filter eliminates any warranty concerns on new vehicles because there is no chance of oil traveling up the inlet path and damaging the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor. It also much easier to clean and since you don have to oil after cleaning (or wait for the oil to wick), service time is cut by approximately 90%! Just soap it, rinse it, shake it dry and go! "

make sure u get the dryflow. all ebay stuff is still the old oil filters. i think that's why price is so low ~$190.

It doesn't matter, since Honda has been using MAP instead of MAF for a long time now. You can't damage the MAF when there is no MAF to break.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by tzakiel
Wow... thanks for info on that. Probably I would just wait the couple of years and then replace my standard aem filter with a dry flow when that time came, rather than clean and oil the old one?

i assume you meant air filter, not oil filter in your first sentence..... oiling an air filter makes everything confusing huh?
yes of course. lol oil filter....ha.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
It doesn't matter, since Honda has been using MAP instead of MAF for a long time now. You can't damage the MAF when there is no MAF to break.

yes ur right. i just copied and pasted that section from their website as you see the quotes there. thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if this new filter will get rid of the whistling sound!