3G TL Engine Management Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so hands down which would be the best setup to go with on on a fully built na motor which would be the best to tune the aem fic or the greddy blue or the greddy blue and ultimate
Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 11-27-2008, 04:53 PM
j swapping mad man.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I wish it were that easy but we can't use a stand alone since the ECM is tied into so many other systems. Otherwise it would be as easy as a Megasquirt, FAST, Motec, or any other popular standalone.

Besides, not that anyone cares but the ULEV status would be gone. I've found that after running a FAST and Motec on the Buick, nothing compares to a factory ECM as far as gas mileage and drivability and I'm one of the few that has gone back to a very modded factory ECM.
the megasquirt doesnt have be run as a standalone. ive been doing a little research and found that megasquirt can be run in parallel or in other words a piggyback
Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by IntegraType-S
the megasquirt doesnt have be run as a standalone. ive been doing a little research and found that megasquirt can be run in parallel or in other words a piggyback
Well if anyone would make it work for boost, I could get off my butt and put some of these turbos, wastegates, and intercoolers I have laying around to use. I have 90% of the equipment to make a singe turbo work on a TL but my smallest turbo is a couple of stock GN turbos which would probably be too much for a TL in a twin configuration.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 AM
j swapping mad man.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i decide to use it will be for n/a hi comp
Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
couldnt i just use the ECM that comes with the CT SC?

other than less horsepower,what am i losing by not getting a tune?

is there any down sides to having the SC and leaving it alone to do what it does?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Well 1 reason is that the compression is so high in our engines, and thier isn't much to do, without totally rebuilding our engine. And twinturbo will need a new motor, depends on how much psi, but with a 2turbo will use 19psi+more. And you jus't can't fit a single turbo.
How many turbos has nothing to do with overall boost, you can easily run a low boost TT set up using smaller units and boost control. Honestly you are poorly informed when it comes to forced induction.

Tuning isnt just for F/I applications, if someone could effectively reverse engineer the PCM in this car and come up with a software package like HP tuners has for the GM cars the possibilities would be endless. I can assure you that there is alot of power/performance to be unlocked on a bone stock car not to mention the ability to fine tune for any and all mods done down the road. I would have to guess there is a ton of torque management that could be removed as well.

Last edited by MVR 155; 12-06-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:58 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the heart of Honda's non-tunable ECU problem the drive-by-wire system? I've heard it referenced a lot when talking about trying to tune.

Wish it saved weight. Then we could talk Innacurate into installing a simple old throttle cable setup.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sc

please pleasee dont just run your car with the sc and comptech ecm. you will eventually foul out some spark plugs then end up misfiring and then shooting a rod and then blowing your motor. get it tuned with the greddy emanage blue! do it right the first time
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Note...I would STAY AWAY FROM MEGASQUIRT. It is greatly flawed...if you need details...contact Performance Driven LLC out of Indianapolis....they can tell you all about it. Brian Gard is the owner and knows more about tuning than the average animal....he was a factory trained MegaSquirt dealer and bailed out after they had MEGA problems with the units failing over and over...sending them back to factory....and getting BS additional units with flaws the didnt work. They eventually bailed from the whole program as I have been told. There is issues there with this company.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by horsepowercrzy18
please pleasee dont just run your car with the sc and comptech ecm. you will eventually foul out some spark plugs then end up misfiring and then shooting a rod and then blowing your motor. get it tuned with the greddy emanage blue! do it right the first time
Didnt Eric run his Comptech supercharger with Comptech ECM for over 90,000 miles with no engine failure? Not that its the best combo no doubt...but I think what you are saying here is a bit overstated IMO. I race my car...running it on the Comptech unit...and while its FAR from perfect...I have yet to blow ANYTHING up...and I am running the high boost pulley at the same time. I think the pulley situation is somewhat unique to my setup though...as I lowered the boost a bit by opening up the entire system for freer flow. Basically...when I installed all the intake and exhaust componenets...my boost lowered a few lbs....then with the HBP....it came right back to where it was plus about 1-2 lbs extra...so I still only go to a max boost of about 6 lbs. at WOT. I wish I could tell you guys EXACTLY how I accomplished this...but I cant. It just worked out that way.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Didnt Eric run his Comptech supercharger with Comptech ECM for over 90,000 miles with no engine failure? Not that its the best combo no doubt...but I think what you are saying here is a bit overstated IMO. I race my car...running it on the Comptech unit...and while its FAR from perfect...I have yet to blow ANYTHING up...and I am running the high boost pulley at the same time. I think the pulley situation is somewhat unique to my setup though...as I lowered the boost a bit by opening up the entire system for freer flow. Basically...when I installed all the intake and exhaust componenets...my boost lowered a few lbs....then with the HBP....it came right back to where it was plus about 1-2 lbs extra...so I still only go to a max boost of about 6 lbs. at WOT. I wish I could tell you guys EXACTLY how I accomplished this...but I cant. It just worked out that way.
that doesnt surprise me at all michael. my friend with the same swap as me (j32a3) in his 7th gen accord, his peak boost is at 6psi at redline with the HBP.

my car with the stock pulley averages 3psi all the way accoss the board and goes from 3 to 3.5psi between 5k rpm to redline. no where near the advertised 4-5psi.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
that doesnt surprise me at all michael. my friend with the same swap as me (j32a3) in his 7th gen accord, his peak boost is at 6psi at redline with the HBP.

my car with the stock pulley averages 3psi all the way accoss the board and goes from 3 to 3.5psi between 5k rpm to redline. no where near the advertised 4-5psi.
Yes....much fear here on this site from the HBP....but if installed with the correct combination of mods...works beautifully with a peak of around 6 lbs.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Racer

So what exactly does the Comptech "ACM", or whatever it's called, do? From reading some previous threads on the Comptech SC, it sounds like people are crushing their FPR to increase fuel pressure? Is this how people are increasing fuel to compensate for the boost? Please tell me this isn't the case...

I've been thinking about going with a SC kit but I'm just worried about reliability issues since it's not really tuned if you ask me and also my clutch -- I'm at 83,000 miles. If E-Manage or one of these other piggy back systems will work, I might feel a little better since I would be able to get the AFRs some what close. I'm also curious as to what is done about the timing, or if it's just left stock.

Hondata just released their K-Pro for the TSX. I really wish they would release one for the TL...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

What about the Apexi AFC Neo

I've heard good things about it, but how compatible is it with the 3rd gen TLs?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
afc neo

the neo is good for tuning N/A cars. id go with at least the emanage blue
Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Does anyone know what the AEM FI/C allows us to adjust? I would like to get my bad boy tuned but have yet to hear what people are sucessfuly running interms of A/F and timing control. I know people were running the frankenstein dual Greddys, but it seems like AEM unit might be a better idea.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

I realize this is an old thread, but I just want to confirm.. Are there really no fully compatible EMS solutions for our vehicle? I realize our ECU's aren't flashable like Ford and Chevy products but I'm kind of at a loss how even HonData really doesn't have anything for us.

I'm a total import newb (just came out from an h/c/i procharged stang).. so is there no easy way to really tune this car and then put it back to stock in a heartbeat? I'm really just looking for a little bit of extra power and firmed up shiftpoints from this car at WOT without performing bolt-ons that make the car louder (yes even the stage 1-3 modded stock exhaust options I wouldn't want to do).
Old 05-17-2009, 01:48 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should read the latest threads on 'Turbo' and 'Supercharged Type-S'
Quick answer: no, at least not yet.

plenty of threads discussing best mods for the buck. check the 3G Garage first.