3 INCHES!?!?! (That's what she said)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
3 INCHES!?!?! (That's what she said)

So it finally happened. The 3" exhaust is complete. I have to say the shop I went to, United exhaust, does GREAT work. Their welds are spot on, they are very nice and professional, and the Ypipe they designed has a great merge. I'm very happy with the work they did. It took awhile however, because they were pretty busy but the wait was worth it.

3" piping is pretty damn big lol. I will have to get pics for you guys (left my camera in the car on the lift so I couldn't get it :banghead. I bought 3.5" Cherry Bomb tips (Part #577555) and I think they look great. I could've even went with 4", but I think they look really good. The mufflers/tips almost look stock, but the piping from the Y split looks far from it lol.

It's pretty quiet. It has a sort of hollow sound. To be very honest, I'm not too crazy on how it sounds. My OBX/PCD combo definitely sounded better without any doubt. It was deeper and had more "uumph" to it. The VT mufflers rattle, you will see in the vids. I'm gonna end up calling Dynomax to see to exchange them for another set of mufflers because I'm not happy with the rattling at all. Not only that, but it sounds "tinny" and "hollow." Not to my liking.

Driving impressions. It was raining yesterday when I got it installed so it was hard to really see. It's MUCH quieter in the car and has zero drone, literally. I'm happy about that. I could get on it a little yesterday, and I actually went from 3rd gear around 50 and when I hit VTEC (no ricer) I actually lost traction. That's never happened before. I drove it this morning to softball and it definitely feels like it pulls harder. 2nd gear revved out really quickly and 3rd did the same. I don't think my powerband will 'plain off' @6500, but keep making power until redline now. Maybe not all the way, but definitely higher in the band.

I'm happy with it to an extent. It does not sound good revving tho as you will see from the vids. It sounds like it's being held back and has a hollow sound to it. It sounds okay overall when under load (much better than revving), but I'm not happy about the valve rattle nor the similar noise when accelerating from a stop. Power is definitely there tho :up:

Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
New York state of mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice exhaust on your.....accord???

o_O
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought 3" exhaust was a no-go for our cars, unless you're FI? Correct me if I'm wrong guys
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

not bad i like the stock look
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
too bad your not toying with a TL!!! this is ACURAZINE and is in 3gtl category... but thanks for posting vid's! (pics say a thousand words but vid's are priceless)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^LOL! agreed. I think he took a wrong turn at albuquerque!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 in. on an accord? I'm sure vtec part of your powerband benefited from the decreased back pressure, but i wonder how much power ya lost from the lower part of your mid-range(2-4k)... (i.e. the one we use 90% of the time) unless we want muscle-car-like mpg...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
3"is way too big for this car unless it has a turbo on it. I am sure the power is ok once you get up into 3rd and 4th gear. But off the line this has to be horrible.

The sound and performance would have be better with a well-made 2.5" going to dual 2.25".
Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
hey guys im thinking of going with a 2.5in piping out of each bank straight back to my stock mufflers, no j pipe, no cat....
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
That's big piping.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Sonnick,

Thanks for taking the time to make and post the vids.

Clean looking ride.

The exhaust is fairly quiet, which is good. There is a lot to be said for a quiet exhaust that is still able to delivered the power. When you get into those stoplight challenges, a quiet exhaust really helps out with not drawing attention from any cops that might be within hearing distance.

The tire chirps were
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Luver
too bad your not toying with a TL!!! this is ACURAZINE and is in 3gtl category... but thanks for posting vid's! (pics say a thousand words but vid's are priceless)
We have several members that have Accords. A lot of similarities. To the OP, thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
tclay77 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
All motor

I know it's not a TL, but in case some of you forgot, we have the same motor! Yea J32 vs J30 but basically everything from either cars fits. Hell, you guys use our V2 intake and we use your S/C

If the 3" system is made correctly, power will not be lost in the low end. As long as the exhaust velocity is kept up, no power will be lost. The way it is now, 2.5" Jpipe collector straight into a 3" pipe may be losing slight low end. I honestly haven't felt it, but it may be there. The whole reason I did this was to have a quieter exhaust and also to dyno afterwards to put everyone's theories to rest.

However, there are numerous K series dynos that have shown great gains going from a 2.5" to 3" exhaust. Here's one.

http://www..com/showthread.php?t=2341715

VQ motors show similar gains. A former member CLSnupe showed great gains on a 3.6L.

Adding a Jpipe with a 3" venturi pipe as the collector should prove to show even more gains and keep the exhaust flow up. This is my plan.

It is definitely quiet, a little too quiet for my taste buds. I'm going to call Dynomax today as I was busy the past 2 days to see what they have to say about the valve rattle of these mufflers. There is a 90 day sound/performance guarantee where you send the mufflers back and get a full refund + an additional $50 for the install. Not bad.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Hey Sonnick, in case you forgot, the TL comes with a sweet plastic engine cover we don't have mwahaha

Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pretty fresh, for an accord.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
All motor

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
pretty fresh, for an accord.
That's what I'm sayin

Haha thanks man. I'm still really disappointed in how it sounds. I think the Fujita CAI sounds SICK on the fly-by vid (tho it's really only a "fly-up," sorry about that) but the exhaust just isn't doing it for me. On partial throttle it sounds almost stock and hollow. If it was this quiet but sounded deeper and got rid of that hollow sound, I'd be fine with it. The tone is what's really irritating
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I think it sounds pretty awesome in WOT, plenty loud but this is hearing it through headphones..
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I love the hollow sound. Haven't gotten to listen to yours yet because I'm at work.

There's still a lot of misinformation out there on exhausts.

Power is never lost with a large exhaust. It can shift the powerband upwards a little but rarely lost.

There is no magic size that will or won't work with the TL. If you have stock cats in place you could run a DUAL 3" and still have all the backpressure you need.

Many times you will see a gain in both low end and high end. I'm not aware of anyone on here that has actually experienced a loss in hp. MPG should improve with this system also.

With vtec and it's relatively small cam profile it helps even more.

Most of the gains/losses are made near the heads. The farther you get away from the heads, the less critical it's going to be, within reason.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I'm going to be brutally honest, which usally isnt in my nature. But that sounds like crap, @ WOT it sounds good. You should see about getting them to refund those mufflers ASAP. What made you want to go with dynomax? Did you use a resonator? Props on the 3" catback tho. Looks cleanly done.

Last edited by EL19; 07-14-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I love the hollow sound. Haven't gotten to listen to yours yet because I'm at work.

Power is never lost with a large exhaust. It can shift the powerband upwards a little but rarely lost.

There is no magic size that will or won't work with the TL. If you have stock cats in place you could run a DUAL 3" and still have all the backpressure you need.

Many times you will see a gain in both low end and high end. I'm not aware of anyone on here that has actually experienced a loss in hp. MPG should improve with this system also.

Most of the gains/losses are made near the heads. The farther you get away from the heads, the less critical it's going to be, within reason.
Thank you for trying to null the spread of misinformation

Ehh...I don't know how you're gonna feel about this hollow sound lol. It's really not very ear-pleasing. WOT it sounds okay, but still not what I wanted. I like the aggressive, catless sound. If there is a slight rasp, I'd be okay with that yet I'd prefer zero. It just sounds like it's being held back and wants to be opened up. I thought @WOT it would sound more aggressive. I'm gonna see how it sounds open Ypipe. Some of the "quietness" may be due to the 30" body resonator I have under their
Originally Posted by L's TL
I'm going to be brutally honest, which usally isnt in my nature. But that sounds like crap, @ WOT it sounds good. You should see about getting them to refund those mufflers ASAP. What made you want to go with dynomax? Did you use a resonator? Props on the 3" catback tho. Looks cleanly done.
I'm glad you're honest because I feel the same way. Yea I have a Magnaflow 12641 under the car (30" body straight thru packed resonator).

I went with Dynomax because I saw these mufflers with the valves in them. I thought awesome; it should be aggressive under WOT and mellow under partial throttle. Yet it's too mellow under both conditions. If they can't send me out their straight thru (no valve) mufflers, which would be louder, I'll take a refund and probably go with some small Mags or something.

I actually just spoke to Dynomax and they said they would send me out a new batch. I respectfully declined and asked if I could switch for another set of their mufflers. They then respectfully declined (which I thought was weird), so I asked if I could get refunded and the lady said she would need to ask her supervisor. I really hope they refund me or I'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited by Sonnick; 07-14-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 PM
All motor

She called me back and said I could get a refund. Okay, fine I'll take it. I'm gonna call back tomorrow and see if they can just send me out the Ultra Flows instead. They would probably need the other mufflers first though, so I'd be running open Ypipe for awhile
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Thank you for trying to null the spread of misinformation

Ehh...I don't know how you're gonna feel about this hollow sound lol. It's really not very ear-pleasing. WOT it sounds okay, but still not what I wanted. I like the aggressive, catless sound. If there is a slight rasp, I'd be okay with that yet I'd prefer zero. It just sounds like it's being held back and wants to be opened up. I thought @WOT it would sound more aggressive. I'm gonna see how it sounds open Ypipe. Some of the "quietness" may be due to the 30" body resonator I have under their

I'm glad you're honest because I feel the same way. Yea I have a Magnaflow 12641 under the car (30" body straight thru packed resonator).

I went with Dynomax because I saw these mufflers with the valves in them. I thought awesome; it should be aggressive under WOT and mellow under partial throttle. Yet it's too mellow under both conditions. If they can't send me out their straight thru (no valve) mufflers, which would be louder, I'll take a refund and probably go with some small Mags or something.

I actually just spoke to Dynomax and they said they would send me out a new batch. I respectfully declined and asked if I could switch for another set of their mufflers. They then respectfully declined (which I thought was weird), so I asked if I could get refunded and the lady said she would need to ask her supervisor. I really hope they refund me or I'm gonna be pissed.
Now I see what you're talking about. It sounds good to me at WOT but from idle.

Is this a catless single 3" to the Y and then split into dual 3"? What material are the resonators/mufflers made of?

I've had excellent luck with a straight through mild steel muffler with a stainless packing inside. It seems to give a very deep rumble at idle with a loud and deep full throttle.

Just for the heck of it, have you tried it without the tips?

Let me know the setup of your system.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Team Owner

You can also try a large resonator with no mufflers in the back. Sometimes having the mufflers right before the tailpipes can cause rasp.

I know this is very vague but every car is different so it's not an exact science.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 PM
All motor

I'm running 3" from the RV6 test pipe back to dual 2.5" Dynomax VT mufflers. And yes I have the PCDs so I am catless. I have a 30" body Magnaflow 12641 which is SS and has packing as well. I am going to see what it sounds like open Y pipe, especially since I am sending the mufflers back anyway. I don't know how it would look tho with no mufflers at the back

I haven't tried running it without the tips. I really like them tho because they aren't huge yet have a clean look. I'm gonna base my muffler decision on how it sounds open Y. If it's not THAT loud, I may just do 1 more small resonator (AR30) or something on the 3" midpipe and just run piping back from the Y. I'm not sure yet. I think it's gonna sound MEAN open Ypipe. I'll be sure to get a vid when I do
Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars

I LOST a ton high MPH power! My car use to pull pretty hard till about 120-130. It now falls on its face at about 100-110! This was from putting the free flowing exhaust on...nothing else changed!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yukoncole
I LOST a ton high MPH power! My car use to pull pretty hard till about 120-130. It now falls on its face at about 100-110! This was from putting the free flowing exhaust on...nothing else changed!
You realize that's impossible, right? That's the area an exhaust would help. It sounds like you have a restriction somewhere or the tune is way off. If you were going to lose power from exhaust, it would be from 0-20mph. At 100mph I can guarantee it's not from being "too free flowing".

You may try a dyno or take a run down the 1/4 to see if anything has really changed. Freeing up the exhaust can change the powerband. If it adds low end, you may not feel the high end kick as much but it's still there.

I see you do not have PCDs. There is no way you're suffering from too little backpressure. There is something else wrong.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Well I thought the same thing!....This is impossible! All I know is that I use to be able to get the car up to 140 no problem and she struggles now! The last time I tried it was barely getting to 130. It does pull very hard all through the lower gears though up to about 90-100! I calculated it to loss of back presure means loss of torque, torque is needed at higher MPH due to wind resistance!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Well I thought the same thing!....This is impossible! All I know is that I use to be able to get the car up to 140 no problem and she struggles now! The last time I tried it was barely getting to 130. It does pull very hard all through the lower gears though up to about 90-100! I calculated it to loss of back presure means loss of torque, torque is needed at higher MPH due to wind resistance!
It's kind of the other way. Torque gets you moving, hp takes over up top. That's why cars like my GN and even diesels with tons of low end torque will run quick ETs with lower mph. I was gong 12.0s at only 110mph at one time.

Loss of backpressure will usually increase torque but it may shift the peak up higher in the rpm range.

No check engine lights or other problems? You may have some hidden hp there with some tuning. Have you ever had it on the dyno to check the AF? Any chance the install was screwed up to where it may be restricting flow?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Instructor

No Dynos around me that I am aware of! I was there and assisting for the whole exhaust...It is just an Aero Resonator right behind the RV6 then 2.5 Stainless to a Magnaflow Y with 2.25 into Magnaflow Mufflers. I am making a run up to the GF's again tomorrow...there is a section of safe road to speed on...I will try it again! Who knows maybe it was a fluke! In regards to the tuning question...it was my understanding that we really could not tune these TL's...am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

You're right about the tuning, we can't tune. What I meant was to see if the AF was off due to a problem with something and correcting the problem. I doubt that's the problem though. I'm interested to see how it does this next time around.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Maybe its a good thing! I should not be driving that fast anyways.....Right??...lol. She runs great on the city streets! I ate me up a cocky Mustang GT owner last weekend! He was on my ass swirving around for about 500 Yards down a backroad....when i came to the 90 degree corner and ran through it hard he came out with his tail sliding about a foot sideways....I pulled on him all the way to the next corner! He dropped back about 1/2 mile after that with his tail between his legs...LOL
Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Instructor

10.60@126mph "Just a V6" - Nice times by the way! I sold my 69 Z-28 about 2 years ago! It had a 625HP 377 Stroker in it...I Ran a 11.26...it was the only run I was allowed being I had none of the proper equiptment on the car to be running those speeds at the track...hehe. It was not a bad run though for a 4 speed with 10.5 inch tires!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
All motor

^^ Haha very nice man!

I don't think it could be your exhaust either. Lack of back pressure is a good thing (new to me) and actually makes HP/TQ. As long as the velocity of your exhaust is kept up, your car should make more power.

Update on my 3" impressions...I was driving today and it feels great! Partial throttle seems more responsive, like the car is a tad lighter. Under WOT it felt good as well. I dropped it into 3rd @75 and was pushed far back into the seat. I've yet to feel that for some time now in this heat. And it was 85 degrees!

I was starting to get a little skeptical of the 3", but after some driving and giving the ECU time to adjust, it feels great. I will have another dyno comparing my OBX exhaust to the 3" soon
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

10.60@126mph "Just a V6" - Nice times by the way! I sold my 69 Z-28 about 2 years ago! It had a 625HP 377 Stroker in it...I Ran a 11.26...it was the only run I was allowed being I had none of the proper equiptment on the car to be running those speeds at the track...hehe. It was not a bad run though for a 4 speed with 10.5 inch tires!
Nice! I love those cars. I'm sure it would've gone deep 10s with some more runs. One of my first nights out with the new engine that eventually went 10.60, I ran a 12.6 and only got one run. Talk about a disappointment and it was a long week waiting for Saturday to come around again to redeem myself lol.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Instructor

I will report back on Friday or Saturday sometime after I get a chance to open it up again!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

I run a 3" exhaust on my Prelude and it made power over the 2.5".

If you are losing power from running a 3" exhaust on a V6, its not because of the exhaust...its the tune which there isn't much of for these cars.