2008 TL Type-S exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 TL Type-S exhaust

Hey guys im looking to buy an exhaust system for my car and was wondering if u guys can help me out. Basically im looking to get a sound that is not too obnoxious or too loud. just a deep rumble kinda like the G35 but screams when u put the pedal to the metal... any advice? suggestions? thanks.

I had a 2000 TL with ATLP exhaust and it was nice but was kinda too loud.... I actually got tired of the sound.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Look up stage 1,2,3 exhaust mods. Involves taking out the mid muffler and other sound enhancing mods.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:23 AM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
You will get a ton of advice on this one most likely as there are many different opinions and many people will like a certain sound whereas others will not. Essentially, it all comes down to personal preference. The G35 sound has been said to be accomplished (cheaply) by the Stage III exhaust setup. This is a cheap method that eliminates the mid-muffler and adds a Dynomax resonator. The rest of the exhaust stays essentially stock. You can find the stage setups here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/removing-resonator-stock-exhaust-summary-post-1-1811-a-589747/

You can tweak and mod that sound however with the inclusion of a RV6 or XLR8 J-pipe (with or without the option of the cat delete) as well as PCD's (pre-cat deletes). Once you start in with the J-pipe and PCD's you are going to head into a tad bit of rasp (from the PCD's) and a definite increase in exhaust volume from the J-pipe. However, the stock mufflers seem to keep it tame enough so that it isn't too crazy.

I have a crazy setup right now which includes THREE resonators. I have PCD's, an RV6 J-pipe with third cat delete, a Dynomax flowing to a Magnaflow flowing to a shorty Cherry Bomb (cut down to 10.75") then flowing out to my dual XLR8 mufflers. It's loud, no doubt. Not stupid loud like it was when I had a no-res setup but it's kind of, well, annoying at times. That's why I kept experimenting with resonators. They reduce sound/rasp while minimizing HP loss. In all honesty, the PCD's, J-pipe and 2.5" exhaust (I'm hoping) is putting me over the 300HP mark. This is including the stock intake with a K&N air filter.

There are many different arrangements you can work with, but with my experience on many different vehicles is that resonators are a useful item to "fine tune" where you want to be exhaust-note-wise. They are (reasonably) easy to interchange and there are plenty of them on the market. YouTube offers vids and sounds and what not but...you know, it's impossible to really get a good sound as there is no "standard" from which everyone can compare a baseline exhaust note to their specific/particular modified note. Different external elements such as wind, traffic, quality of mic, position of mic, etc., all play important factors in determining a different "sound" that you hear in those vids. Unfortunately, some which sound good on YouTube sound like hell in real life and vise versa. However, YouTube acts as a useful guide but not something to be taken as gospel.

There are a pantload of different brands out there insofar as cat-back systems. The ones I recommend are RV6, XLR8 and ATLP. I'm not so sure about Megan Racing. There were some quality issues some time ago but they may have overcome those. The advantage with the Megan Racing is that you can essentially get the "quiet" sound of the stock exhaust in a stainless steel package while increasing HP (supposedly) at the same time. I have seen this on eBay very recently for $650 with free shipping. I would love to see dyno results comparing these setups.

I hope this helps. Trust me, I've been working on tuning my 3.5L V-6 for about six months, have put over $2k into my exhaust and am still hunting for the perfect exhaust note. Not to daunt you, but to each there own. I'm a tenacious son of a b*tch

Good luck man.

-MI6
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
RV6 V3 J-Pipe w/ ATLP V2 Quad exhaust...personal preference since that's what I have but sounds sick!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the same set up as RainSupreme and its AWESOME! No drone, nice sound but loud when it needs to be