2007, 2008 transmission cooler help - ihc, inaccurate :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
2007, 2008 transmission cooler help - ihc, inaccurate :)

I have read the A-116 DIY and it was helpful.

except i couldn't locate the banjo's on my car putting my hand down there and feeling every bump below the fuse box and collecting grease

but then again i should have known it's got a different transmission

so from what i understand for 04-06

it comes out of 12 and goes back into 13, so 12-filter-cooler-13.

NOW for 07-08

I have read IHC & inaccurate's short thread regarding something about b-5-10 but the links were no longer good.
i'm guessing it's pipe 6 and 7 that goes in and out (not sure which is which)

I'm borrowing a lift + all the tools at a indy shop for $50/day so i would like to get the bumper down and install cooler while i'm at it.

additionally, what's pipe 3??

many thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
another ihc and innacurate thread even though i know the answer

too bad
Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
another ihc and innacurate thread even though i know the answer

too bad
LOL only cuz i saw this
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/can-someone-identify-external-trans-line-627538/

anyone is appreciated!

sorry if i made you feel like that slamming door
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
The Track Terror

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Yes, it's pipes 6 & 7 in the second diagram. I don't know which one is flowing in or out though. I also forget which kind of hose I used too since I did this over a year ago...but get about 6 feet of it though so you can cut it to your desired length.

But please, no need to remove your bumper...there's *plenty* of room between the radiator and bumper to work with...
The following users liked this post:
KzooTL (07-21-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the fenda rolla
Yes, it's pipes 6 & 7 in the second diagram. I don't know which one is flowing in or out though. I also forget which kind of hose I used too since I did this over a year ago...but get about 6 feet of it though so you can cut it to your desired length.

But please, no need to remove your bumper...there's *plenty* of room between the radiator and bumper to work with...
would you mind go taking a peek under your hood for me? lol nah too much work.

i have small hands so i'll try (women's golf glove L fits me nicely, nuff said), thanks for the information.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM
The Track Terror

what do ya want me to check out? the hose?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

what do ya want me to check out? the hose?
yes, i think it was 3/8 hose with screw clamps? I'm wondering from which banjo the fluid comes out (if you have filter, you can easily tell from the directino, right?)

also!!

hows http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=au...ated-11x6x1-12 this look for possible track day?????

thanks again

Last edited by 4drviper; 07-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Please let me know if 07-08s are different but I bought my car (05' TL) off of a customer of a good friend of mine who owns a big transmission shop. He said transmission coolers on this car wont help anything. If you're looking to prevent over heating or blowing the transmission here's what he told me makes them blow:
The transmissions straight out of the factory had a flow problem in TL's Civics and CRV's so under extremely hot weather and/or with high mileage the transmission gets hot enough to boil the fluid and then the fluid seeps out from the seams, making your transmission run without fluid and Kaboom!! It blows.

Hope this helps
Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpm3071
Please let me know if 07-08s are different but I bought my car (05' TL) off of a customer of a good friend of mine who owns a big transmission shop. He said transmission coolers on this car wont help anything. If you're looking to prevent over heating or blowing the transmission here's what he told me makes them blow:
The transmissions straight out of the factory had a flow problem in TL's Civics and CRV's so under extremely hot weather and/or with high mileage the transmission gets hot enough to boil the fluid and then the fluid seeps out from the seams, making your transmission run without fluid and Kaboom!! It blows.

Hope this helps
They are different
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 PM
The Track Terror

4drviper, I got that same cooler at streetsideauto for about $66 with free shipping:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/bm-supercooler-70264/

And to let you know, with the Redline Racing ATF percentage of 65% and the trans cooler, I have not had any problems with the transmission at all...even with a brutal track weekend...and redline sprints everyday.

So I don't know about jpm's transmission dude, but if you switch to the Redline trans fluid and keep an eye on it, your transmission will last a very long time. The Redline fluid has a much higher heat capacity since it is a full synthetic.
4drviper (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

4drviper, I got that same cooler at streetsideauto for about $66 with free shipping:

And to let you know, with the Redline Racing ATF percentage of 65% and the trans cooler, I have not had any problems with the transmission at all...even with a brutal track weekend...and redline sprints everyday.

So I don't know about jpm's transmission dude, but if you switch to the Redline trans fluid and keep an eye on it, your transmission will last a very long time. The Redline fluid has a much higher heat capacity since it is a full synthetic.
thanks! i o u 30 bucks hehe

I already have 4x3 amsoil supershift so that's covered, and loving the hard shifts, now i'll use a quart or so of DW1 to fill the cooler and it should soften up a little bit.

great to have confirmation about track days..

i guess i'll just have to figure out which one spits out the fluid
Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 PM
The Track Terror

No prob bro! Glad to help out! And that Supershift fluid sounds good too! Sorry about not knowing which tube goes in what direction, but there's only one way to find out!

Hook up long tubes to both fittings and leave them disconnected, then point them into sealed buckets or something like that, then turn the engine on and off real quick. The fluid will shoot out of one of them (with a quite a bit of pressure probably), and that'll let ya know! But I don't think it matters at all since the cooler will work in either direction...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

But I don't think it matters at all since the cooler will work in either direction...
i'm trying to add magnefine filter to keep the cooler clean but sounds like you're not having any debris issue so.... maybe i'll be lazy and skip it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:13 PM
The Track Terror

Well I think some others are using the magnefine with good success...I change my ATF about once a year so that should be good. There's no harm in doing the filter...unless it's a one-way filter, then yea, you'll need to know which direction is which!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

There's no harm in doing the filter...
but is MAGNEfine really necessary when we already have magnetic drain bolt,,?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 PM
The Track Terror

Meh...some may argue it helps...if you do a 1x3 every year I think you should be good! Yea, cleaning that magnet plug every year you do the 1x3 should be fine...BUT, if you really want that piece of mind, I'd say go with the filter...I never will, but that's me! Too bad the pros haven't come on this thread yet!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Racer

I have an 05' and 4D Viper said they are different so I guess this doesnt apply. They probably resolved the design flow. I'll definitely look into the redline.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
The Track Terror

^^^ yea check out this thread, it tells ya all ya need to know:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/optimal-percentage-racing-atf-834299/
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Burning Brakes

anyone else has done the cooler to 07-08???????? (unintentional bump?)
Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM
The Track Terror

^^^ what else do ya need to know?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh I'm just looking for more cases, and if there's those problems that aren't foreseen until you actually run into them.

I took a peek between radiator hoses and battery and it SEEMS like those banjos feed the metal pipe that does a simple U shaped loop in front of the lower part of condenser/radiator so is that a factory "cooler"??

I'll know for sure once I get under and take off the belly pan, just planning while waiting for fedex
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 AM
The Track Terror

Gotcha...well I think I remember using 3/8 in inner diameter black rubber fuel line hose from Pepboys. Got 5-6 feet I think. And yes, the transmission pipe that connects to the radiator acts as a type of cooling...other automatic cars use that design too, for example my 96 Accord. What I did was run a hose from the transmission pipe and a hose from the radiator pipe and connected them to the trans cooler and zipped tied the cooler right in between the radiator and grille opening to the left of the hood latch (if you're facing the front of your car). I also ran the hoses as smoothly as possible without any kinks or binding to the cooler, which has both openings facing down.

And again, no need to remove your bumper at all!

Fill the trans with fluid through the dipstick using I believe 3/8 outer diameter clear hose from Home Depot and duct tape a long narrow red funnel from walmart to the other end of the hose. This method is 100 times easier at filling the fluid...

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 07-23-2012 at 01:30 AM.
4drviper (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Burning Brakes

^ now i'm able to do the job in my head with clear details. so you kept the factory "i'm-not-gonna-call-that-shit-a-cooler" cooler lol
I think i'm going to bypass the factory cooler

thanks a bunch.

don't know how many 07-08ers wanna do it but i will come back with pics (if i don't forget)

Last edited by 4drviper; 07-23-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM
The Track Terror

^^^ Sounds good! Glad I could help! Let me if you run into any issues.

And yea, I thought about bypassing the radiator cooler altogether, but two things: B&M themselves say to run their cooler in-line with the factory one and since the factory radiator cooler does help with cooling (even if it's just a little), we can use all the help we can get! I even think there's someone on here who actually uses 2 B&M coolers!!

I'll take some pics for ya just so you know exactly what I did!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

And yea, I thought about bypassing the radiator cooler altogether, but two things: B&M themselves say to run their cooler in-line with the factory one and since the factory radiator cooler does help with cooling (even if it's just a little), we can use all the help we can get! I even think there's someone on here who actually uses 2 B&M coolers!!
looks like it's strong enough to push through 2 coolers and not have low pressure issues

I'll take some pics for ya just so you know exactly what I did!
thank you kind sir
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Racer

I may switch to redline. I was just stating what the transmission builder told me. You have an 07' so like you or someone else said, they're different.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
The Track Terror

Ok here's some pix for ya...One thing I forgot was that there are *two* hoses each for the transmission and for the radiator! One in and one out for each! (DUH!) Sooo, I just used the right side hoses for each (if you're facing the front of the car). I put circles over the hoses I used to help.

Radiator hoses:

Transmission hoses:

Another thing, I actually mounted my cooler right under the hood latch (had to remove the black plastic shielding). It's not the fanciest looking setup but it gets the most air flow from what I can see...hopefully you can make yours look a little better!

Hoses routed to the right of the radiator/condensor:

Underneath shot:

The filler funnel and hose setup...very professional:

4drviper (07-24-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

NICE
honda part number : TRAN5-EZ2-FIL

lol

thanks for the pics. i'm going under the car first thing tomorrow morning. well after washing it.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm still wondering if i should bypass the factory cooler or not. because let's say

tranny-FC-cooler-tranny will make sense but

tranny-cooler-FC-tranny then it might gain heat from collant at factory cooler.

so i guess I have to find out the direction of flow.... OR just take out hose 22 and 23, replace them with long hoses that leads in/out of B&M cooler

ALSO for your track duty, did you install engine oil cooler???? power steering cooler??

Last edited by 4drviper; 07-25-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM
The Track Terror

I had the same dilemma when i thought about installing mine..."should I bypass the factory cooler altogether?" And I also thought the same thing, wouldn't the FC just heat up the fluid again if that's the order the fluid flows in? Only one way to find out...(disconnect the hoses and see which one squirts fluid out).

I wasn't so brave so I never did it, hence I said fahget about it and installed it the way I did.

A couple answers to your concerns, which were mine as well:

1. Even if the FC heated up the fluid a bit, the B&M at least adds more volume of fluid to the system, which I believe aids in the overall cooling process.

2. The excellent thermal properties of the Redline ATF is so much better than factory fluid, it can take a lot more heat.

3. B&M themselves recommend running their coolers in-line with the FC...

And nope, no engine oil or power steering coolers...although an engine oil cooler would be nice!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
The Track Terror

One other thing, B&M says to *not* mount the cooler with the openings facing down (like mine). I'm going to change mine up right now!

Read the first page:

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploa...er_techdoc.pdf
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
The Track Terror

Another thing, I was searching for trans fluid flow direction and found that the Odysseys (I believe the same transmission as ours) flows in the direction my setup is ideal for...I think...

Check out pages 12-13:

http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/07hitch.pdf

This is the previous generation Odyssey, but page 12 shows the flow...it could be a completely different design with different flow directions though...

http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Another thing, I was searching for trans fluid flow direction and found that the Odysseys (I believe the same transmission as ours) flows in the direction my setup is ideal for...I think...

Check out pages 12-13:

http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/07hitch.pdf

This is the previous generation Odyssey, but page 12 shows the flow...it could be a completely different design with different flow directions though...

http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf

found out the flow direction the hard way. it comes out from tranny through 6 and into rad, out of rad, do a loop, then back into tranny through 7.

so where you mounted, was good.

NOW the question is, how the f*ck do i get to 7?!!? i'm inside the driver's front wheel well but I think i have to take the wheel off to get to the hose.... i'm sweating like a dog @ 102 lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, our TL take S2000 oil filter right?

S2000 utilizes screw-on oil cooler adapter.

Therefore I'm guessing it'll fit our cars too?!?! maybe not. idk.

(diagram can be found under 2008 S2000, OIL PUMP

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle...s=&view=normal

just a thought. and then we can attach whatever B&M or icecool we want on the other end of that adapter.

Maybe stainless-steel braided line would be a good idea.

Last edited by 4drviper; 07-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

you know.... the 70264 is too big... i can't fit it in. it almost goes into position then thud here thud there, right side up, sideways, poooop!

(oh yea, thats what she said)
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM
The Track Terror

Sorry to hear about it not fitting!! And to get to #7 I believe I removed the battery and battery tray...

And how did ya find out the flow direction the hard way??

Last edited by the fenda rolla; 07-26-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about it not fitting!! And to get to #7 I believe I removed the battery and battery tray...

And how did ya find out the flow direction the hard way??

I just shoved it in. actually i had to wiggle the factory power steering cooler, but it's all done!! just waiting for siphon to fill the tranny oil pan.

will upload pics later.

and to get to 7, i removed front driver side wheel and dropped the small (forward one) belly panel altogether and (i'm small) i put my head & shoulder inside the fenda and i had full access to the hidden sjdal;asd;lfsd i'll stop

thanks FR
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
With the oil cooler adapter installed, the s2000 filter is too long and might hit the suspension. The regular TL filter works just fine as will most 1 inch thick oil cooler adapters.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi speed
With the oil cooler adapter installed, the s2000 filter is too long and might hit the suspension. The regular TL filter works just fine as will most 1 inch thick oil cooler adapters.
then is it possible to run TL filter on S2000 adapter?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drviper
then is it possible to run TL filter on S2000 adapter?
I'm not sure how thick the s2000 oil cooler adapter is, but aftermarket cooler adapters are easy to find. The one I have was $25 and is about an inch thick. I was using the larger s2000 filter before installing the oil cooler and changed back to the stock filter size to avoid contact with the front suspension.
4drviper (07-04-2014)
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've run the S2000 filter since '06. From the best of my memory the lengths are close but since the filter is at a slight angle, the larger diameter is slightly more likely to get hit by the suspension on a hard bump.

Get a filter that has great flow and dirt holding capacity like Royal Purple and you'll have the benefits of the larger "regular" S2000 filters in the stock size.

Quick Reply: 2007, 2008 transmission cooler help - ihc, inaccurate :)