2006 Acura TL Transmission swap to BYBA Honda Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 02:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Acura TL Transmission swap to BYBA Honda Odyssey

I recently picked up a Acura TL 2006 for $500 144k miles. The transmission was blown. After spending countless hours on this forum trying to figure out the best path I chose to modify the car to except a BYBA transmission out of a 2002 to 2004 honda odyssey. I tried to find a BAYA out of an Accord but the cost was high for a crappy unknown used transmission. I stumbled across a brand new transmission model BYBA on Ebay . It came with everything lines and sensors new . I paid $1400 shipped which was an amazing price. The rebuild transmission for a stock TL 2006 was anywhere from 1800 to 2200$.

I received the new transmission and it actually has some updates from Honda . I looked at a couple JDM transmissions BYBA odyssey and BAYA Accord. Some of the improvements were to the harnesses and shifter position switch cover. I am hoping seeing those external updates that Honda may have updated some of the internal known issues. I know the BYBA was not that greatest of a transmissions in the odyssey. My mother in law had one go out at just 85k miles. Seeing the transmission was new I am willing to take a risk. For what I paid for the car and the cars age. If I get 80 to 100k miles out of this transmission. At that point the car is going to be ready for the scrap yard. My other thoughts on this choice was take care of the transmission. Swap fluids more often than recommended. I did make some modifications which I'll get into below for better reliability.

Installation modifications made.
1. Top engine mount LH side is no longer installed. The bolt holes do not exist on the BYBA transmission.
2. The shift position switch has to be swapped from the TL Original transmission. The transmission will also have to have some material grinded off for the position switch to fit. As stated above Honda updated the position switch cover and added a bolt which contacts the TL switch. Not a big deal. Also modified switch cover on new transmission to fit over the original switch.
3. New transmission came with metal lines, where the Acura TLs coolant transmission warmer would go . I do not like the idea of transmission warmer living in hot ass Florida. I utilized the lines on the new transmission and ordered a transmission cooler kit off amazon for $30 bucks. It came with hoses and all the fittings I needed. I used the special straps and strapped it to the ac condenser. The lines run right by radiator plenty of room to route over to transmission. The existing transmission warmer . Well I left it connected to the car. There was a bracket for wiring harness on the transmission. One of the bolt holes lined up perfectly and I bolted it down.
4. Buy a overhauled or new torque converter.

Pretty simple to make this combination work . I have driving the car a week now and everything is super smooth no issues .

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help out just like this forum helped me accomplish this mission.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

I bought the same one (2004) with a 2006 odyssey trans

I wanted to ask you how everything went and if any additional mounts were added. The guy I bought it from looks like he ghetto rigged everything and it feels like a mount is not there or the trans is almost on it’s way out
Old 02-17-2022, 08:13 PM
6th Gear

I didn't add any extra mounts. I did have issues with the steering wheel pulling left and right with acceleration of braking . I resolved that with replacing the lower ball joints and tie rod ends. My car is solid nice tight suspension. Driving it almost a year now 39k miles on it.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:02 AM
6th Gear

Also installing the byba you will be missing the top driver side tranny mount. The oddessy does not use it. As said it's been running great.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:38 PM
3rd Gear

Axles

Originally Posted by Jetmechmikey
Also installing the byba you will be missing the top driver side tranny mount. The oddessy does not use it. As said it's been running great.
Hi Jet, I'm doing the same swap as you. BYAB tranny from a 2003 oddyssey to a 2005 TL, everything pretty lined up as you stated but I noticed driver side TL axle does not engage w tranny. Wondering if you forgot to mention axle swap is also needed?
Many thanks
Old 04-28-2022, 02:01 PM
6th Gear

I used the same TL axles. Transmission I used was a byba. 2002 to 2004 oddessy. Only missing should be the top tranny mount . Swap harness
Old 04-28-2022, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear

It was the ring on the axle that was crooked and not letting axle go in. Car is running good now,so far so good...hoping to get couple thousand miles of it.
Thanks a million for all your steps listed!
Old 04-29-2022, 05:00 AM
6th Gear

Your welcome. Did you install an external cooler ? I'd also change the tranny fluid next oil change. I got 35k miles on mine now. Still runs good.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear

Yes sir, I ordered one of Amazon, working fine. I did chnage oil. Only part that might get a little tricky in this swap is modifying the gear shift link but once you figure out how it functions you know what to do.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Popeye007
Yes sir, I ordered one of Amazon, working fine. I did chnage oil. Only part that might get a little tricky in this swap is modifying the gear shift link but once you figure out how it functions you know what to do.
I didnt mod anything on mine. I pulled the harness off my old tranny and swapped to new unit. Just the shift harness. Everything else harness wise you keep.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
That fresh tranny looks so pleasing.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keeping a 2004 TL in 2nd gear

Hello, I'm not sure where or how to ask questions here. I have a 04 TL. It is a dirt track car and we run it in 2nd gear. It jumps out of 2nd mainly in the turns. Is there a way to take out solenoids so that it has to stay in 2nd. or does anyone know what might be the problem/ Thanks