2005 Acura TL - Before/After PCD V3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
You referenced the thread. the comments are valid. I appreciate your efforts on the back to back dyno tests. And this one in particular regarding the PCD that showed dyno gains of 16 HP. That is a great number and we all would love a few mods that yield that return. The PCD removed (3) 800 cell catalysts and replaced it with essentially 1 cell. That is a dramatic and obvious change to the exhaust flow. Thats how you can get 16 HP and we all pretty much have come to expect those types of gains with PCD's.

Now think about it for a minute. What did you change on the intake side by adding a CAI? You have a CAI from the factory that flows more than the 3.2 can use. Your not going to find 16 HP there. just sayin the test was flawed.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by pohljm
You referenced the thread. the comments are valid. I appreciate your efforts on the back to back dyno tests. And this one in particular regarding the PCD that showed dyno gains of 16 HP. That is a great number and we all would love a few mods that yield that return. The PCD removed (3) 800 cell catalysts and replaced it with essentially 1 cell. That is a dramatic and obvious change to the exhaust flow. Thats how you can get 16 HP and we all pretty much have come to expect those types of gains with PCD's.

Now think about it for a minute. What did you change on the intake side by adding a CAI? You have a CAI from the factory that flows more than the 3.2 can use. Your not going to find 16 HP there. just sayin the test was flawed.
The PCD's delete (2) cats. The stock j-pipe and stock 3rd cat were still on this car.
What we have to remember is that every car reacts different. What you do to a 1.6L won't react the same as a 3.2L. And not all 3.2L's react the same....so many variables.....anyways what I'm trying to say is that what you think is obvious might not be obvious and what you don't think will make jam....sometimes makes jam.

My car as it sits right now made 244whp about a week ago.
PCD's , aem Cai, xlr8 stock crank size pulley. That's it.
First mod I did was aem cold air intake, I was amazed at the gains, yes you and MANY others R joking about an intake making so much power. But like I said the car was dyno'd when I first bought it, then shortly after b4 putting intake made exact power then on Dyno installed intake and re did it. Then I did PCD's on the Dyno b4 after Dyno . B4 the PCD's made same power as day intake was installed. Then I installed the " notorious " rv6 v3 j-pipe, ready.......

It lost 6whp/12wtq. I was blown away. Now every1 on here brags about that j-pipe.....but for " my application it lost power " . Now could it be because it was over kill for my stock exhaust ? It's a poor design ? Etc ???? Who knows. Now I feel that I am the only one to Dyno b4/after jpipe v3 who has the PCD's installed. Correct me if I'm wrong ?
Now the butt Dyno felt like it added power, and it was louder but it lost power. I then removed it and sold it. Car gained the 6whp/12wtq or so. Now I'm back at 240whp. I then installed the crank pulley made by xlr8 and it added 4whp/2wtq.

Now I find it funny that people will brag about a part they have on their car " rv6 v3 jpipe " and say its the best mod......

Again the butt Dyno feels better but it loses PEAK power.
Every j pipe is different. The atlp v2 seems to be best peak hp j-pipe, the xlr8 seems to be the best peak/mid, and the rv6 seems to be the best around town j-pipe. Again it all depends on what supporting mods you have like cat back sizing etc.....

Anyways I appreciate people's opinions , but at the end of the day RESULTS speak !

Many people will laugh and say that a v3 rv6 jpipe adds way more power than an aem intake, .... I say prove it to me, and I proved that for my set-up the aem gained and the v3 PCD's gained and the crank pulley gained but then v3 j-pipe lost......

Lastly I just finished my ported / polished runners I will create a thread for them when I put the bored tb on as well. But first I will be bolting a 2.5" cat back to see what gains are there. Stay tuned !

Last edited by TLOHTL; 06-18-2013 at 05:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLOHTL:
1black_seven (06-24-2013), Grand_hustle17 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
excellent post... like you said.. results speak.. im not the one for ass dyno either.. you proved that the PCD are probably best mod/power for the $$$... if anybody wants to call you out on that better have paper work to prove it... i never planned on a J-pipe myself, just planned to add a HFPC and main cat, the oem jpipe seems to flow well...
The following users liked this post:
TLOHTL (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Excellent gains. I just picked up gerzand's old PCDs. Probably won't get to install them until next weekend but looking forward to it.
TLOHTL (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
excellent post... like you said.. results speak.. im not the one for ass dyno either.. you proved that the PCD are probably best mod/power for the $$$... if anybody wants to call you out on that better have paper work to prove it... i never planned on a J-pipe myself, just planned to add a HFPC and main cat, the oem jpipe seems to flow well...

Thank you sir

But the oem j-pipe is junk. I would suggest ATLP v2 or XLR8 v2.

And JJH you will enjoy the PCD's !
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts
I personally know the guy who i believe has the track record for the TL's, NA at least.. hes had oem j-pipe on hus aspec and now oem j-pipe on his type S and is dynoing over 290's.. no junk to me lol....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I personally know the guy who i believe has the track record for the TL's, NA at least.. hes had oem j-pipe on hus aspec and now oem j-pipe on his type S and is dynoing over 290's.. no junk to me lol....

This could be true......

But..... upgrading to a ATLP v2 or XLR8 V2 will be an improvement for him.

It could be he is impressed as to where his car is at right now and doesn't wish to spend or (waste) any more money.....
Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
So if I install my PCDs and ATLP J-pipe a week or two before I install my supercharger kit Ill be fine with no tune? The stock ECU will be able to compensate and add more fuel???
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^yes. pcds and jpipe does not change any fuel trims....
Turbocoop (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by TLOHTL

It lost 6whp/12wtq. I was blown away. Now every1 on here brags about that j-pipe.....but for " my application it lost power " . Now could it be because it was over kill for my stock exhaust ? It's a poor design ? Etc ???? Who knows. Now I feel that I am the only one to Dyno b4/after jpipe v3 who has the PCD's installed. Correct me if I'm wrong ?
Now the butt Dyno felt like it added power, and it was louder but it lost power. I then removed it and sold it. Car gained the 6whp/12wtq or so. Now I'm back at 240whp. I then installed the crank pulley made by xlr8 and it added 4whp/2wtq. !
Any idea as to why the car would loose power from just the rv6 pipe? Have you tried this with another brand?

Last edited by 1black_seven; 06-25-2013 at 10:59 AM.