200 miles after PnP manifold and Fujita CAI...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts
200 miles after PnP manifold and Fujita CAI...

I have a 07 TL-S 5AT. Bone stock until 200 miles ago. I have posted before about the weak low end torque on these engines. I was looking for mods that would not burn a hole in my pocket and get me some low end. I stumbled upon the IM being sold by 05AcTL. Since it was a decent price and 05AcTL agreed to help with the install( well...he ended up doing everything along with Rajca:2G member) I decided to take the plunge. Since we were tearing in to the IM I decided to get the CAI installed as well. A lot of our very enlightened members (no sarcasm intended) advised against it and suggested the spacer instead. I did not want to cut the hood or use the hood spacers so I decided against it. Also I have long term plans of getting PCD and full catback.
The install--> hats off to 05AcTL and Rajca, they braved the midwestern winter on a particularly nasty day and completed the install with all digits intact. The IM itself seemed easy but the CAI was a pain, specially getting the stock resonator out. We kept pulling and it would not budge, it gave eventually. WORD OF ADVICE FOR FUJITA INSTALLERS ON TL-S: Absolutely relocate the ground bolt or else the filter will hit the fog lamp and the bumper cover will not go back on. We learned this the hard way. After putting back everything we cranked the baby up. Got it past 3k a couple times to hear that instantly orgasmic roar.......nothing!! Well we knew everything was in place so we decided to put everything back in place and after about 10 minutes of fastening and bolting down I cranked it one more time and stepped on it more aggressively----heard the much advertised whoosh for tHE first time--felt good. We then drove a mile---no difference in the city.. I was like the WTF!! Anyways we called it a day and went our ways. My fellow acuraziners had some important business to take care of.
My drive home was 20 miles of freeway. I was very underwhelmed by the upgrade UNTIL( AGGRESSIVE DRUMBEAT) I floored it. The sound..oh the sound---Anyone even remotely contemplating a CAI should take the plunge. And then came the power surge....I know I don't have before and after dynos...I know I may be flamed for this but it pulled hard. I know this car and if you ever read my posts before you would know that I was coming from a 350z and maxima with "torque enriched" VQ engines. From 50 up this pulled better than my maxima and almost as good as the z. Some may say "VTEC must have kicked in", I would counter argue citing the fact that it did not do that when stock. Secondly, when cruising at 1800-2k, the car pulls from 60-85 without breaking a sweat. Again something that I took for granted in the z/max but found lacking in the stock iteration of this car. The power is definitely improved, may not be a whole lot, and is felt.
Back to what I had originally sort for-low end torque. I didn't gain any, but I don't think I lost any either. Low end around city and on take off is still the same but the engine runs smoother.
Big thanks to 05Actl and Rajca. Next project-J pipe.
Rick
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Great story! You got the IM that I wanted, but I didn't have a TL-S. But got my IM PnP by an expert that did an awesome job!

Just the fact that you have no other mods is proof that PnP IM adds power; not taking away from CAI. Wait until you mod the rest of the exhaust; you will really feel some serious gains. Also drivability is much better.

Congrats and happy modding!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's a port and polish cost with the shop doing everything from taking the mani off to reinstalling?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by BigJack75
What's a port and polish cost with the shop doing everything from taking the mani off to reinstalling?
Don't know about that one. I took mine off and sent it off to have the work done.

It's petty easy to take off and reinstall though.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Safe to say 05AcTL & Rajca went to the Gentleman's club to warm up & grab free lunch??

Most of you guys could PnP your own IM.. it's best to port match the IM to the runners then to the heads. You'll probably notice immediate gains with a port match.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Green Machine

Originally Posted by Majofo
Safe to say 05AcTL & Rajca went to the Gentleman's club to warm up & grab free lunch??

Most of you guys could PnP your own IM.. it's best to port match the IM to the runners then to the heads. You'll probably notice immediate gains with a port match.
My manifold was matched to stock size since I have the Outlaw spacer.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
this stuff's way over my head. you guys are porting and polishing (what's the porting part?) the upper intake manifold right? plus the runners that are underneath...and the......heads?
a price would be nice...
oh and you can't combine these with the mdx spacers...because? the install on the mdx spacers went well...and i'm happy with the torque! but now that i've had it on for a while...the fun's starting to dissipate...lol
Old 01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i am sure the j-pipe and pcd should help on the tq you are looking for...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Instructor

this stuff's way over my head. you guys are porting and polishing (what's the porting part?) the upper intake manifold right? plus the runners that are underneath...and the......heads?
a price would be nice...
oh and you can't combine these with the mdx spacers...because? the install on the mdx spacers went well...and i'm happy with the torque! but now that i've had it on for a while...the fun's starting to dissipate...lol
What I heard is that is that if you have the MDX spacer and PnP manifold on a free flowing exhaust( PCD+J-PIPE+aftermarket wider and better flowing catback) it will result in considerable loss of top end power. Since down the road I might go that route I decided to go PnP manifold. My runners are not ported. I will do that later. From what 05AcTL told me it seems like when he added the ported runners to his already ported and polished IM he did not feel a huge difference.

i am sure the j-pipe and pcd should help on the tq you are looking for...
I realized that too and stopped worrying about it for now. I like what I achieved via this mod. I will get some dyno numbers when it is warmer here.

I will let them chime in....

I think it is a $150 job. I just got the IM that he had and left mine for them to recycle in one of their projects. I hope they find use of it.

Great story! You got the IM that I wanted, but I didn't have a TL-S. But got my IM PnP by an expert that did an awesome job!

Just the fact that you have no other mods is proof that PnP IM adds power; not taking away from CAI. Wait until you mod the rest of the exhaust; you will really feel some serious gains. Also drivability is much better.

Congrats and happy modding!
Thanx. I almost got your MDX spacer but then thought of the long term plans and backed out. I can only imagine what this can do to a free flowing exhaust setup. I think the CAI is great for the aural pleasures. I find myself revving in the parking garage to hear that woosh..oh so sweet!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im glad you like it!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Totalacurate had his done with bench numbers. I disagree with everyone pnp their own manifold. I know the guy's who did his mani.... They don't mess around. That mani was benched to make sure it made more flow.

Last edited by ethenol; 01-07-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
glad u like it. when u get the j pipe hit up carlos and we can install it
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Instructor

I was researching J-pipes and had a question. Did not want to start a new thread as we are on topic in this thread.

So when I install the j-pipe do I have to remove the 3rd cat? I am assuming that the 3rd cat and exhaust pipe size further back is 2.25" while the j-pipe is 2.5". How do the internal diameters match up if I want to change only the j-pipe for now and keep the stock 3rd cat? Am I missing something here?
Rick
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

u dont have to remove the 3rd cat. although getting a high flow cat will help out.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by rick sambora
further back is 2.25" while the j-pipe is 2.5".
I originally had this question too. If you have the oem catback, the transition from 2.50 to 2.25 will need to occur. None of the aftermarket companies provide a gradual transition for this diameter change. Thus, the diameter change happens in a ugly and abrupt fashion at the point where your aftermarket parts mate up the original catback.

Obviously, the way to avoid this ugly and abrupt diameter change is to have a custom/aftermarket catback that is 2.5 for the entire length.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Obviously, the way to avoid this ugly and abrupt diameter change is to have a custom/aftermarket catback that is 2.5 for the entire length.
Thank you inaccurate. Like I had mentioned before I want to do this in stages, what problems am I looking into with that change in diameter?
I am not expecting huge gains with j-pipe and everything stock. I just want to keep what I got via the IM and make the car run the same(smooth).

u dont have to remove the 3rd cat. although getting a high flow cat will help out.
Hi Rajca, do you know any reliable shop for the mid-muffler delete??
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM

reliable.. how about cheap. Cut both out.. Make sure you keep the MM & 3rd Cat.. they're expensive. A $50 job at the muffler shop could be $200 profit for them just at the recycler.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ethenol
Totalacurate had his done with bench numbers. I disagree with everyone pnp their own manifold. I know the guy's who did his mani.... They don't mess around. That mani was benched to make sure it made more flow.
The IM flows great stock so doing it yourself isn't going to hurt although benching it is definitely preferred. Port matching to the heads is more important than the IM numbers.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
what problems am I looking into with that change in diameter?
I see no problems other than the obvious loss of a few more hp at the upper rpm's. My exhaust is this way too. I have the XLR8 j-pipe (2.5 diameter), RV-6 Race pipe (2.5 diameter) in place of the 3rd cat, and then the oem catback. Except, I don't have the PnP IM or PnP intake runners.

My car runs great with the abrupt diameter change. It would run better with a complete 2.5 diameter system. But, I am happy with it for still having the oem catback.

The way I see it is that the abrupt diameter change still flows enough to not be a hindrance in comparison to what the oem catback and oem mufflers can flow anyway.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Thank you inaccurate. Like I had mentioned before I want to do this in stages, what problems am I looking into with that change in diameter?
I am not expecting huge gains with j-pipe and everything stock. I just want to keep what I got via the IM and make the car run the same(smooth).

Hi Rajca, do you know any reliable shop for the mid-muffler delete??
valazques and sons. they did mine for $35 over 2 years ago
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Another great mod you'll feel......light weight crank pulley.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have just turned 100K and although it still runs awesome I was wondering if I should change the plugs and what kind to use.

My wife just got a new 328 coupe and the BMW guys say change the oil every 15K since it uses synthetic. I have gone 7K since my last mobil 1 swap. Is it time??
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
I have just turned 100K and although it still runs awesome I was wondering if I should change the plugs and what kind to use.

My wife just got a new 328 coupe and the BMW guys say change the oil every 15K since it uses synthetic. I have gone 7K since my last mobil 1 swap. Is it time??

lol your way off topic dude

yes should be time to change it. i change it every 3k with synthetic