11hrs of mods!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11hrs of mods!

Phew! I just finished doing 3 mods to my 06 TL/AT..took me 11hrs without a break but the end result was well worth it!

Fitted Tien lowered springs fr & rear.
The advertised drop or 1.2" fr and 1.3" rear for me is just right. No rubbing or harshness...very cool look and feel!

Fitted Dom's unit for the rear view camera.
I'm not really interested in the DVD side so just went with the camera sold on e-bay (see other threads). I got the wide view (smaller version) and I get my drive and the lawn on the screen. Very cool!

Reversed the sport-shift switching.
This one was a bit tricky as I wasn't sure what I was getting into.
I really hated the fact that you pushed to go up a gear and pulled to go down so I set about seeing if I could reverse it.
It really wasn't that difficult once I fould out which wires to swap in the multiplug and once done the only other thing I did was swap over the '+' and '-' on the indicator. It's now much more natural for shifting, especially if you've owned european models or had experience with a sequential gearbox.

I'm kinda tired now but glowing with pride!!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Hey Sodde. Can you do a DIY for the reverse sport-shift? I want to do that too!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tell us how to do the sport shifter mod please
Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 PM
B A N N E D

the reverse sport shift mod is NEXT on my list. Please give us some tips and pointers if you have any! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Ok, I have to be brief here as I'm leaving on a trip today.

Remove the chrome mouldings around the center console and dash facia, remove the rear center console assy (see other posts or Manual), remove the left (drivers side) footwell panel (side of forward console).
Detach the air vent by pulling out the plastic clip retaining it to the console mounting bracket, remove the shift knob by unscrewing it then remove the bezel around the selector housing. You can then remove the carbonfiber (or wood) panel and selector plate (don't forget to disconnect the selector illumination bulb holder from the base before pulling it out) from the shift assembly.

If you now look down on the left side of the selector assembly, you will see what looks like a white plastic box about 1.5" long with some wires coming from it which run forward to a multiplug connection. Detach the mutliplug from the selector housing bracket by sliding it forward which will disengage the rails and then disconnect the mutliplug.
Now carefully prise up the 2 clasps that are holding the white box to the selector assembly (you can see them clearly on them on the top) and the box will come out easily under a light spring pressure.
You should now have the selector switching mechanism in your hands.

Take a look at the multiplug. At one end, you will see a block of 4 wires together, orange, black, blue/white and blue/yellow.
What you need to do is swap positions for the orange and black (i.e. black terminal to orange terminal position and vise-versa) and the blue/white and blue/yellow (blue/white terminal to blue/yellow terminal position and vise-versa).

To do this you will need a lot of patience and some tiny screwdrivers.
With your fingernail, lift up on the sides of the pin retainer strip on the back side of the multiplug. This relieves the tension on the terminals. Now, looking into the multiplug on the terminal side, insert your small screwdriver to gently lift the plastic barb retaining the terminal in the multiplug. Once you get the screwdriver under the barb, you can pull the terminal out the back of the multiplug.
Repeat this for all the wires and re-insert them into their new positions.

One other thing I did was cut the + and - from the selector glass and I then glued them to the illumination base that it normally sits on.

Once you've done this, just re-install everything in reverse order and your good to go!

I have heard that 04's have a different color wiring, I was told there was a brown wire instead of blue, but the black and orange were still there so it should still be easy enough to work out as the 4 wires are all together.

I hope this helps and let mew know if any of you guys needs more info....as I said, I won't be around for the weekend but back next week.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Advanced

pictures would be really nice....=D
Old 09-08-2006, 10:57 PM
B A N N E D

well i highly doubt he would take apart his console again just to take pics.

I will try to snap a few next time when I do the project. Hopfully soon.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Advanced

Thanks In Advance!!~~
Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanks bro!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
When you get it done and post the pictures and an explanation of what you did, let me know (in case I miss it) and I'll put it in the 3G Garage.