Yet another Nexus 7 installation. '07-'08 no-navi TL specific.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Excellent writeup!

One of the cleanest jobs I've seen!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice. I have had a nexus 2013 tablet for many years and see a lot of threads about this. I also have a Navi 06 TL but like the idea of having the optoins of the tablet. I need to look further into this!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
very good write up and it's great to get more write ups so people get confident to actually make the change. i'm glad my thread helped you out!
you have some good humor in your write up too haha.

i'm soo jealous you didn't put this write up before i did mine, if i could do mine over again i for sure would have hacked into my tablet and moved the power buttons and the usb location. that would make such a better power connection and very robust, not to mention easier to do a reinstall.

right now i'm having some audio issues still (whenever i play usb music with the DAC my tablet randomly freezes and reboots), and i may need to do a complete reinstall of timur's kernel, but your usb/power button relocation would have saved me soo much time and effort i might have to do. if i can't find a solution and need to reinstall, i need to take apart my entire head unit again and hook the tablet up to my computer. you did a very smart move, wish i had done that!

you're also right about poweramp having issues with usb music. i tested about 6 apps and found the best one for usb music is gone mad music player
what about adding reverse camera?

good job and enjoy!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
I had same issues with timurs - either stuck in powered OTG or freezing. That's why I decided to give it up. ElementalX still have activity in development, while timurs is "final".
Old 02-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by peter6
I had same issues with timurs - either stuck in powered OTG or freezing. That's why I decided to give it up. ElementalX still have activity in development, while timurs is "final".
the weird part about mine is that mine ONLY freezes when i have usb music playing through my usb hub and through my DAC. if i dont' have that exact combination, i have 0 issues with the kernel. tonight i'm trying some 2.0 hubs instead of 3.0 and hope that solves it. i think the DAC is not working well with 3.0 hubs. if that doesn't work then i will buy a DC-DC puck converter instead of cigarette adapter. if that doesn't work i tear apart my dash and reinstall the kernel (hope not!!)
Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I used buck converter for charging and powering DAC. DAC was making some really bad noises, so I would not recommend it. Just get some nice charger (I personally like anker products).
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

I used buck converter for charging and powering DAC. DAC was making some really bad noises, so I would not recommend it. Just get some nice charger (I personally like anker products).
i am using anker right now. my DAC works perfectly for sound and sounds much better than without the DAC. it's just the random freezing and rebooting issue of the perfect storm of compoentns haha. still trying to figure it out
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Can you post your tasker settings for gps location always on? I hate waiting for it to "sync" when I need to use maps

i for my music to auto play I'll post settings later it's pretty simple

Last edited by sockr1; 02-16-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,705 Likes on 6,714 Posts
fantastic job!!!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sockr1
Can you post your tasker settings for gps location always on? I hate waiting for it to "sync" when I need to use maps

i for my music to auto play I'll post settings later it's pretty simple
There's a screen shoot of it.
Create profile, for example of the state "is charging".
Then in task select "Get location", on source select GPS, check both "Continue task immediately" and "Keep tracking". Make sure you will do exit task that will stop tracking.

There's example I did on my phone:

And don't forget to post your play music task!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

thank you, what does the "100" mean in the settings above?

i'll take pictures of my autoplay on my way to work in the morning and post them for you
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

i could not find "is charging", the only power state that i could get close is "power on." is that ok since i clicked "Continue task immediately" and "Keep tracking"?? does that mean after 100 seconds it times out but then restarts?

here is my music autoplay, it works very well:

Name:  IMG_1497_zpsvidzu6rn.jpg
Views: 3696
Size:  38.0 KB
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

When you are creating profile go State - > Power - > power - > Any. It's "is charging" state I was talking about.

About GPS, that's help page if you download it to SD.

So I guess timeout means after how many seconds this option should expire. Actually didn't know about it.

But as long as task is running this option will not expire. So fix is something like ;

I will further test it out and edit first post.

Wouldn't know about it If not for your question. Guess I'm learning something every day.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome write up and clean install! Glad my pics were able to help you.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tablet is working fine right now. However recently two people managed to "break" OTG by turning key on/off repeatedly. Tablet was thinking it was charging, while it was giving power for USB devices. The only way to fix it was to shut it down (reboot didn't work). It might be kernel related as I'm using CyanogenMod and ElementalX kernel, but I decided to dig in my junk/parts drawer to make sure it will not happen again.

I created "delay timer" for powering the tablet. It will make sure that there will be slight delay (~5 seconds) before giving power to the tablet for the second time.
It might be achieved by simpler analog circuit, but I don't have enough knowledge to do that. Programming arduino was much simpler.
It's not nicest, cheapest, or most practical "device", but it's easy to make and it works.

There's parts list :
Arduino Nano - junk drawer, 3 boards for ~$12
Tolako 5v Relay Module for Arduino - ~$6, Amazon
uxcell 5V relay - junk drawer - 10 for ~$8 Amazon
Prototyping board - junk drawer
Polulu 9V Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V12F9 - junk drawer, ~$4 for single board
Lithium Battery Charging Module Board Charger with Protection IC - junk drawer, 10 for ~$6 on ebay
Lithium battery from the phone, junk drawer. You can go for 18650 battery if you don't have anything

I don't have schematics right now, might provide it if somebody is interested. It should be relatively easy to wire up. I tried to explain it on the photos.
Right now I'm thinking that I didn't need separate relay for pin D12 (to signal arduino that there's power). Well it will not hurt anything

Couple photos :
Spoiler

There's code :
(use some auto formatting software before reading it)
Also try this link before opening the spoiler :
https://paste.ofcode.org/7DeiYXnKR9EN5UpURs9Gac
Spoiler

Now the plan is to put it between charger and tablet. I will also need to test how long battery will last, as this battery has more than 5 years.
Current drawn in "sleep mode" with blue LED attached is ~25mA.
Mostly because of use step-up and then step-down (in arduino) modules.
It should give around 3 days straight. Battery is charged with 1A, that takes around 2h from completely flat to full.
So if it won't work I will update this thread.
The following users liked this post:
JMiles_T (06-06-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
book mark
Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The only way to fix it was to shut it down (reboot didn't work). It might be kernel related as I'm using CyanogenMod and ElementalX kernel, but I decided to dig in my junk/parts drawer to make sure it will not happen again.
I use the TIMUR kernel and this same thing occationally happens to me. It only happens when I'm too slow turning the key between the "On" and the "Start" positions. If I do it quickly then everything's fine. It may be an issue specific to the hardware.

In the meantime, I use a switch to keep the tablet powered while I'm at the gas pump, and it's time to get moving again.

Last edited by JMiles_T; 06-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Spoiler

//note : edited new version of the thread

Hi.

Welcome in “Yet another Nexus Install” thread. I understand there are many other threads like this and they might be more descriptive and easier to follow, but I believe my approach is a little bit different. I hope this post will be useful for somebody.

So what are those differences ? Mostly because it’s 2007-2008 non-navi TL specific, I decided to keep radio and climate displays, and extend wires going to the tablet.
I will describe only those differences. Why? Because there are at least three good threads. Also I’m lazy. Just want to show off hah.

I just finished it (02/15/2017, 7:13pm) so I might do some changes in the near future – mostly to the tablet’s software. I will try to edit this thread. I will try to read my work, but as you might tell English is not my first language. Sorry for all weird sentences and words!
(Today when I'm writing it's 06/18/2017, couple bigger changes)

So first of all big thanks to couple guys who gave me ideas. It would never happen without you. Those are the “main” guys.

Projectwidow – idea for relocation. I might have executed it differently but plexiglass with tint is his. Thanks !
sockr1 – I had so many questions… His thread is great. Thanks !
ADay2Long – I used his thread for the list of material I might need. “His” wallpaper for the tablet was really nice. Again list of materials.
Some guy who posted service manual for my TL – helpful with disassembling interior and radio wiring.
Timur for the kernel
Authors of the apps I’m using
Factory Car Stereo Repair youtube channel – video for disassembling the radio

I’m going to divide this thread by order that I followed for my installation. Hopefully it will be clear enough.

Now nice photo to make you want to do it :

Part I : Nexus 7

Main parts list :
- Nexus 7, second generation, 16GB – look on ebay, for around ~$100. My was for $60 – broken USB port, but who needs it anyway?
- Wires – you might need OTG, and couple usb cables. I recycled whatever I had
- Bezel from ’04-’06 model. Ebay. I got mine for $40. Look for “#39050-SEP-A0”. That is its part number.
- FiiO E10K – most expensive thing on my list, $76. But totally worth it, even when my car has aux port
- USB HUB - I went with "AmazonBasics 4-Port USB 2.0 Ultra-Mini Hub"

(I did hardware mods first, as my Nexus arrived dead - broken USB port, meaning to way to charge it)
At this point you want to put one of the screen protectors on, or at least tape it. Keep screen nice, just temporary so don’t worry too much about dirt and bubbles.

I decided to open the tablet up and solder wires directly into the board. It has couple advantages, including stronger connection and less bezel-cutting. But tablet will look less nicely and you are risking breaking it. Look online how to disassemble it if you want to follow my lead.

Photos with description will be in the spoilers.
Spoiler

Time to cut out the ‘04-’06 bezel. Remove plastic glass and all the buttons/displays. Look for info in other threads. Procedure here for all 3rd gen is the same. One small hint tho – use something like dremel to cut out plastic from the inside, but take your time with a knife to cut through plastic on the outside (parts that will be visible). Photo above should give you an idea how tablet should fit in there.

Make sure the edges are nice and tablet is lying flat, like :
Spoiler

Software

]So there’s software configuration :

- Rom : Timur's Kernel
- For the background I’m using modified ADAy2Long background. Image and link to PSD under this list
- Tasker and “Secure Settings”
- Xposed – nice and powerfull. Root is only the first step in Android adventure hah
- GMD Gestures app - it was causing some weird touch issues, I don't use it anymore now
- AutoBright app
- AmazingText Free app
- Nova Lanucher – change grid size to 12x12 or something like that, the bigger the better. I will allow you to place widgets more precisely.

Additionally :
- GoneMAD Music Player - Poweramp had some weird issues with skipping/error reading files
- F-Droing - treat is as Play Store alternative (not illegal, just some extra apps that are removed from store)
- Adblock - downloaded from F-Droid app, it's against google rules I guess
- BusyBox - some apps might need it, useful in Terminal, probably will never use busybox features
- DriveSync - sync my music library that I keep on Google Drive
- Solid Explorer - my favorite file explorer, also connects with Google Drive
- Google Maps
- Sygic - only for offline/long trip navigation, when you are going to store/certain address Google Maps are more accurate
- Torque (and OBDII Bluetooth adapter) - just to read car data when I feel like something's wrong (never happened)
- "Today Calendar 2017"
- Youtube
- Titanium Backup - just in case

Xposed modules :
- GravityBox (MM) - configuration, using only couple options
- Youtube background playback - name says it all
- Youtube adblock - same

There's my background :
Spoiler

If you would like to edit it, you will need photoshop.
There's source file :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byj...ew?usp=sharing

Tasker configuration :
(use separate profiles/tasks - this way you can reliably stop them if conditions change. Now in case of short power lose (due to starting engine for example) nothing should be messed up)
Spoiler

Time to put fresh screen protector (optional) on the tablet and glue it to the bezel. I used some hot glue to position it (easy to remove) and when I was sure I used epoxy (JB weld). Use sand paper on the back of the tablet to make it easier for the glue to hold.
From my research hot glue shouldn’t melt in the summer sun, but practice tests shown that it will get much weaker (Chicago sun, ~90F out). You are risking your tablet to fall apart, so use epoxy. Really.
Don’t have a photo but I went quite crazy with it. Also try not sticking any metal things to the back of the tablet – it will mess up perception of wifi, Bluetooth, and gps.

I cut out metal bezel, so it had only the sides for the screws. I glued it to the bezel with the tablet. This way I’m hoping to keep nice GPS perception. I sanded and soldered the metal bezel on the edges – can’t weld and don’t have access to it. I holds surprisingly well, but some glue won’t hurt.

At this point I didn’t even touch my car. So worst case I lost ~$100 for tablet and bezel. It worked out nicely so I will keep going.

Part II : Disassemble the Car

Look for the service manual or other threads. Great resource was this video :
Used it mostly for the start, then it’s just “see the screw? Remove the screw” process.

Make photos where what type of the screws goes, like that :

Yes. I’m working in the winter gloves. It was like 5F outside and I don’t have garage. Fun times. Not recommended though, plastic might be more brittle when it’s cold. But I didn’t broke a single clip.

Small note : At this point you might consider converting lights to LEDs. I replaced bulbs everywhere in that area. Much easier – you have it disassembled anyway. Start with climate controls – you should have a spare from the bezel you ordered.

Couple photos FYI :
Spoiler

I went with “3mm Flat Top Clear Lens Warm White 13000 Mcd LED (Pack of 100)” for $9 and “E-Projects 100EP514510R 510 Ohm Resistors, 1/4 W, 5% (Pack of 100)” for $7

It has 19mA at full brightness and around 15mA at my “normal” dash brightness. With max 24mA they should have nice and easy life.

Part III: Extending the wires

You will need to extend some wires. Wires for the buttons can be easily done at home. More is better than not enough. I also tapped into aux radio connection, and shorted two wires. My stock aux port still works, but radio thinks something is connected to it all the time. Also I didn’t try playing music from both sources (audio DAC from tablet and something from aux). Hopefully it can’t damage the radio.

Whole part in spoiler :

Spoiler

Part IV: Display relocation

So in theory there are couple ways to do it:

1. Leave the board in buttons bezel, behind the tablet, and extend wires for the display (around 48? Of them, some are dubled). Tried and it was harder, and tablet had problems with GPS with all that circuitry behind it. But it will be easier to glue displays and no need to modify vents or “complicated” install procedure
2. Move whole board. About same amount of the wires, but you need to solder couple of them in car. Need to modify vents, and if you decide to glue it like me… watch video on the very end
2a. Move whole board but make custom bracket for it (instead of gluing it to the plastic). I tried and failed. Didn’t have access to welder and metal, and used plastic was not strong enough to hold it.
3. Throw it out. Who cares ?
4. Relocate it to some other place. For example front bumper.

I went with #2.

Main parts list:
- Acrylic plexi glass – I used “Source One LLC 1/8 th Inch Thick 12 x 12 Inches Acrylic Plexiglass Sheet, Clear” from amazon for $14
- Automotive window tint – I used “Gila Heat Shield Plus 20% VLT Automotive Window Tint” for $15. You might want to go for darker one. When it’s sunny I can see display when it’s off.

Prepare tinted window first – it should dry for couple days. My had water marks under the tint but they went away after 3 days. Google how to tint windows if you never did. It was my first time and it worked nicely the very first time.

Spoiler

And modification of car's interior :

Spoiler

Optional stuff

- Cut the damn glovebox - cabin filter easy to replace :
Spoiler

- External GPS :

GPS was fine for most part, Compass is wrong all the time (pointing in random direction). Never tested it before so I'm not sure if it because tablet is in vertical position, or my tablet's hardware is messed up. Because of that GPS was taking some time to lock, and it wasn't perfect all the time. When I went downtown Chicago it went all crazy, so I decided to fix it. I ordered USB module. It worked but was hard to automatize and it was randomly disconnecting. I didn't like idea of amplifiers, so I bought Bluetooth GPS module.

Which one? Well Dual Electronics XGPS150A. Amazon has them for ~$80 bucks. Expensive stuff. But :
- it turns itself on when connected to charger - but don't connect it to the usb hub, as it will try to communicate with tablet, and bluetooth module will stay off (other charger or cut data wires)
- it turns itself off when bluetooth disconnected for some time
- it's accurate, doesn't lose signal. Normally I don't have less than ~3m accuracy, and that's freaking amazing
- it's easy to automate and surprisingly works very reliable

Rest in the spoiler :
Spoiler

- Module to delay tablet power :
When you turn key on, tablet turns on immediately, now you start engine, and power is cutted out for about a second. With the right timing it will totally mess it up : it can reboot, don't detect USB devices, be stuck in OTG mode, signalize that it's charging while it's not etc.

To solve it I made delay module using arduino and relay.
Much simpler to use some timer IC, but at the time it was more complicated to I used arduino.

It's simpler than on the photos. Old ones :
Spoiler

Now I removed battery/charging IC. I left 9V boost module - it stabilizes the voltage. Putting 5V from charger in not best idea.
If you feel ok, I suggest going with two relays and mosfet. Cheaper than this mosfet-relay module, same result.

Basic idea :
Spoiler

Code :
Spoiler

Final photos :
Spoiler

So… was it worth it? Totally. I actually really enjoyed the process (except the time when I needed to do it again). Love DIY projects, and while it was not the hardest one, it was most risky so far. Right now everything is working great. I put interior back together… and it looks weird. But awesome. I guess I got used to my car while I was driving without interior for about a month.

I learned a lot and got couple new toys (like dremel). Now I just need to convert rest of the interior to LEDs… and who knows? Maybe it’s time to take care of the timing belt (it's done now !)?

If you have any questions – I will try to answer them. But no promise, might get bored and forget about this forum.

Let me know what you think ! And good luck if you ever decide to modify your car !

Last edited by thoiboi; 06-19-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: OP asked to update post.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus install failed - HVAC and display shorted - urgent help needed

guys

started on relocating display for nexus install. Display would be moved where the cubby was. All modifications complete. HVAC controls extended as I am also moving the circuit board. need help, I cut all wires coming in below Center vent above dash to extend and in the process, shorted them as battery wasn’t disconnected. there was a spark and now everything is dead - blower starts by pressing Mode - something went wrong - any suggestions to check and fix. I am sure wires are extended correctly, but some fuse must have blown up???
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Another Nexus install in progress

Hey guys

Looking for some input from fellow Acurazine who have inspired me to take on this difficult Install process for Nexus upgrade.

So a a detailed version will follow later, right now display relocation completed after a treasure hunt to find a blown up fuse while extending wires.

bezel modified to fit Nexus 7 and now working on software install. Has Anyone faces issues with rooting the tablet. I have installed trwp and device is detected on the computer using adp drivers but not been able to root the tablet. Once I go into stock recovery mode, computer now does not detect the device and adp connection is not formed. No yellow exclamation. Tried for 2 days to root, but not happening. Right now trying to force root by using SuperSU. Any other suggestions?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Huh my thread is a mess. First post missing, main post at #18. What happened?

Anyways, rooting the tablet should be simple.
What exactly are you doing? Are you installing Timur's or something different?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

Nexus install - rooting

Huh my thread is a mess. First post missing, main post at #18. What happened?

Anyways, rooting the tablet should be simple.
What exactly are you doing? Are you installing Timur's or something different?
hey Peter6
Post 18 - extended wires coming out of the car to relocate display into cubby section. While cutting them, didn’t take the battery out and shorted the wires with the same cutter .. yes - silly. Anyhow found blown fuse called BACK UP. All good to go there

post 20: I didn’t follow Timurs instructions on Rooting. There are new ways to trwp and root and my genius fri end used them .. we finally rooted and everything is up and running but we cannot connect to fastboot for adding a cmd for fast charge 0.. which is not needed if a relay is added.

now pending issues
- resolve start up issues: thinking of capacitor
​​​​​​- add a second power line while car is off and a switch something I saw JTmiles or Sockr had done
- figuring out how to fit up radio display - I didn’t cut the bezel. Radio had two ear tabs - I squeezed them through the bezel and simply glued the tabs. Bezel glass goes from outside with glue

Last edited by aameetsha; 12-14-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

1. Accident while extending the wires: So everything works good now?
2. What software/rom are you running on your nexus? I've been running old build of CyanogenMod, pretty sure version 13, but I would need to check.

Overall, I resolved all the issues and tablet was running 99% of the time since last December, but my current setup if quite different from what I wrote here.
I'm using relays and arduino to control everything. I also wired lithium battery charging module directly into tablet's battery to have a way to charge it when screen if off (that can be powered by relay by arduino).
It's over-complicated, but allows me to keep tablet powered when engine is cranking (your start up issue), and allows me to use charging+OTG outside the Timurs Kernel. That setup allows me to run any ROM except for Timurs.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

1. Accident while extending the wires: So everything works good now?
2. What software/rom are you running on your nexus? I've been running old build of CyanogenMod, pretty sure version 13, but I would need to check.

Overall, I resolved all the issues and tablet was running 99% of the time since last December, but my current setup if quite different from what I wrote here.
I'm using relays and arduino to control everything. I also wired lithium battery charging module directly into tablet's battery to have a way to charge it when screen if off (that can be powered by relay by arduino).
It's over-complicated, but allows me to keep tablet powered when engine is cranking (your start up issue), and allows me to use charging+OTG outside the Timurs Kernel. That setup allows me to run any ROM except for Timurs.
To solve engine crank and charge while parked - My current plan of this minute - running two separate power lines from the fuse box - one constant and other. ACC, with a switch added to constant, both will end at a Relay with 5 pins, this relay will ensure only one line is providing power to the tablet and the 2nd line doesn’t draw current in the reverse direction. To the output wires on the relay, I am adding a capacitor which will act as power storage during the temporary cranking situation and keep the tablet going on-off-on.

i am not good at kernels and stuff, my friend help d me there. I am using Timur (I skipped a few steps) but eventually flashed with V4 through recovery

one Thing I cannot figure out is power up and power down videos - how do you make them work? I renamed the videos but they still won’t start
Old 12-15-2018, 02:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Cool! I have a question, when using a tablet in place of a nav device, does it need a service subscription like a cell phone? Does it need to be linked to the internet? Noob question for sure!
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Cool! I have a question, when using a tablet in place of a nav device, does it need a service subscription like a cell phone? Does it need to be linked to the internet? Noob question for sure!
yes or yes. Either use your cell phone data or buy tablet with LTE
Old 12-15-2018, 02:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aameetsha
one Thing I cannot figure out is power up and power down videos - how do you make them work? I renamed the videos but they still won’t start
OK power up and power down resolved. I wasn’t using OTG cable until now instead of regular charging. Now that I am using OTG cable - realized that it is 1200mA and charged at 650mA which is slower than the power it is using while charging. I am still at 70% battery since last 2 hours .. is there any better Otg cable on Amazon? I didn’t even use maps or music?

i am going to use Anker cigarette adaptor - not sure if Dc-Dc converter brings any additional value?
Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts

yes or yes. Either use your cell phone data or buy tablet with LTE
That's what I figured... Thanks!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Race Director

You don't need to use data to use navigation.
What I do is use Google Maps with "Offline maps" downloaded which expire every 30 days. Once a month you need to connect to internet (wifi at home) to update the map. Other than that the tablet is not connected to any internet (i only toggle wifi on when i need to update apps or maps at home)
Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

USB hub

guys

does it matter which port of the usb hub does the tablet usb goes in?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Tablet should connect to the wire coming out of usb hub. Post a picture of the hub if you have issues. Also it won't hurt to test hub on the computer. If it does work on your pc or laptop then it also should work with the tablet.

Also I advice against using DC to DC and picking up quality phone charger. I used DC to DC that I had laying around and it produced some noise in the radio (as it also powers usb DAC).
Old 12-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Usb hub

Tablet should connect to the wire coming out of usb hub. Post a picture of the hub if you have issues. Also it won't hurt to test hub on the computer. If it does work on your pc or laptop then it also should work with the tablet.

Also I advice against using DC to DC and picking up quality phone charger. I used DC to DC that I had laying around and it produced some noise in the radio (as it also powers usb DAC).
so I just ordered a new USB hub which is powered - Anker as per link from sockr. But I may have a different issue. My audio plays through nexus speakers. I even tried connecting DAC directly to the OTG usb but it still does the same. I am not sure which settings to change or verify.

My sleep mode from Timur Kernel works fine so not sure if it is a kernel issue. This is my biggest hurdle to get Audio from USB port

any suggestions?

PEM shows
usb host mode active
powering slaves no
external power yes

FI mode check box is grayed but allows to uncheck or check
- fast charging , firm sleep, disable secondary usb audio device

help needed
Old 12-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

seems like OTH usb female port is not being recognized. Is there anyway to check or do?
i forgot to mention that usb cables are 3.0, OTG is 2.0, not sure if it matters

Last edited by thoiboi; 12-19-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

i forgot to mention that usb cables are 3.0, OTG is 2.0, not sure if it matters
Cables don't matter, as long as they are decent quality. However, I tried using 3.0 hub and Nexus didn't recognize it. I ordered 2.0 Hub and it was working good for the past year.

so I just ordered a new USB hub which is powered - Anker as per link from sockr. But I may have a different issue. My audio plays through nexus speakers. I even tried connecting DAC directly to the OTG usb but it still does the same. I am not sure which settings to change or verify.

My sleep mode from Timur Kernel works fine so not sure if it is a kernel issue. This is my biggest hurdle to get Audio from USB port

any suggestions?

PEM shows
usb host mode active
powering slaves no
external power yes

FI mode check box is grayed but allows to uncheck or check
- fast charging , firm sleep, disable secondary usb audio device

help needed

seems like OTH usb female port is not being recognized. Is there anyway to check or do?
I don't use Timur, but as far as I remember you want to disconnect all devices from Nexus, go to that app and select FI (fixed installation) mode, and then connect OTG cable and your devices to Nexus. In this mode tablet won't supply power to your devices, so you need to supply external power somehow. If tablet recognizes that it's in FI mode with OTG cable plugged in, that option should get grayed out. (you won't be able to uncheck it unless you disconnect the cable) Un-check that "disable secondary audio..." option.

One tip - when I was troubleshooting, I connected computer mouse to my Nexus. It seems like mouse is easily detected, while other devices sometimes don't function. If it doesn't detect mouse, then there must be some other problem. Either cable you are using or software.

Additionally, press on "USB Devices" and check if DAC is on the list. Maybe the problem is with the music player that you are using.

Last edited by peter6; 12-19-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Otg

so to be clear, I need to disassembly entire assembly and remove OTG cable including the micro USB port which is tucked inside the AC power buttons - urghhhh!!!
I have been clicking on usb devices to see if it detects my usb flash drive.

Before installing OTG I had ensured that FI mode is checked. As soon as I connected OTG, it grayed out. I will follow the sequence of micro usb to nexus, micro usb to power outlet and then OTG to mouse or flash drive.

i did forget to mention - thank you for your quick support ..

A

Last edited by aameetsha; 12-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Otg

Cables don't matter, as long as they are decent quality. However, I tried using 3.0 hub and Nexus didn't recognize it. I ordered 2.0 Hub and it was working good for the past year.

I don't use Timur, but as far as I remember you want to disconnect all devices from Nexus, go to that app and select FI (fixed installation) mode, and then connect OTG cable and your devices to Nexus. In this mode tablet won't supply power to your devices, so you need to supply external power somehow. If tablet recognizes that it's in FI mode with OTG cable plugged in, that option should get grayed out. (you won't be able to uncheck it unless you disconnect the cable) Un-check that "disable secondary audio..." option.

One tip - when I was troubleshooting, I connected computer mouse to my Nexus. It seems like mouse is easily detected, while other devices sometimes don't function. If it doesn't detect mouse, then there must be some other problem. Either cable you are using or software.

Additionally, press on "USB Devices" and check if DAC is on the list. Maybe the problem is with the music player that you are using.
ok after following the steps, now my DAC shows up on the USB device list. I connected DAC directly to OTG. FI is checked and grayed out.

still
- DAC is powered via OTG. I thought there won’t be any power coming from Tablet
- music still on speaker - DAC output blank
Old 12-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

DAC connection

I think it boils down to DAC connectivity. Some forums talk about CM11 with elementaLX kernel and music starts playing over DAC for all apps. Not sure if Timur does that and I didn’t install something
Old 12-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Race Director

I might have missed it but which DAC are you using?
I've done installs with both Fiio E10K and E07K on another car, hooked up to an Anker USB 2.0 Hub.
Both played music through the car speakers right away without having to touch anything in PEM, power event manager.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:13 AM
Intermediate

Dac

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
I might have missed it but which DAC are you using?
I've done installs with both Fiio E10K and E07K on another car, hooked up to an Anker USB 2.0 Hub.
Both played music through the car speakers right away without having to touch anything in PEM, power event manager.
using E10K.. finally figured out that I was using s non powered Hub. As soon as my Anker hub got delivered, it was a plug and play. I also reinstalled timur services kernel .. not sure if that made a difference
Old 11-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Peter, would you happen to still have the source image for your Nexus background without the icons? (Google Drive link doesn’t work). My OCD mind really likes how you reorganized/pushed everything up a little to make room for the soft keys below. I also noticed the tiny details where you took the time to fix the horizontal silver lines. Lastly, in your final setup, it looks like you changed the color of the stitching from blue to silver. I love it.

If you have that file, and are willing to share, please let me know. It would save me a lot of editing time. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Yet another Nexus 7 installation. '07-'08 no-navi TL specific.