XM satellite radio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
XM satellite radio question

Hey new Acura-fam,

I was cleaning out the interior today and while doing the trunk spaces I noticed the cord to the satellite radio was hanging loose in the trunk. This car has a magnetic unit attached to the roof, the wire runs down the rear window edge seam, into the trunk space, under the trunk matting, then just stops dead at the interior cabin rear seat access panel. It is all balled up and stuffed in there, effectively being ineffective.

I used to have XM in an old car and I installed it so I have a good idea of how the add on models work, but not so sure about this factory radio model. I was thinking about turning the service back on, because I enjoy no commercials. I can access the XM 1 channel and it seems to come in crystal clear like my old system, so that brings me to my question:

Is the XM 1 introductory channel an FM station broadcasting an advertisement, and thus I am not accessing satellite? OR am I accessing the satellites via another antenna, maybe factory I am unaware of? OR am I accessing satellite via the radio itself, meaning it is string enough signal to not require actually being plugged into the antenna?

Other question was: is it relatively easy to plug this antenna back in to the back of the head unit? I assume its not, that I would have to remove the interior panels, pull the unit w/ hvac and all that crap. Or is there an auxiliary port for the xm radio I am unaware of?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
If you recently got the car, call SiriusXM and ask for a trial period.
That will get the satellite activated, and you can see if there is already a connection to XM on the stock radio.

Is the antenna connected to the XM receiver? I believe the XM receiver is under the trunk liner in the right rear-- see 20064DRTLSPORTXMtunerlocation.jpg Photo by valenciaca | Photobucket.

Yes, you'd have to pull the radio from the console (Yes, a PITA) to access the back of the audio system.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
You are access through satellite, if you park in an indoor parking lot the signal will be lost. If you want to resume the service call serius xm and ask for the three months trial after that its about $8/month with no traffic.