Grom BT3 users please chime in - no text display?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Grom BT3 users please chime in - no text display?

Just installed the Grom BT3. I love it. Pretty amazed at the clarity via BT. My problem is, it's not displaying text on screen. I updated to the latest firmware and unpluged both wiring harnesses on the XM brain in the trunk. What's the deal?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
I have my unit on order and will be installing it this weekend but you do have the SAT firmware right? and not the CDC one?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Yup. I even updated to the latest version off Grom's website. I wish you could actually talk to someone over there, hate trying to resolve issues via email.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Grom just informed me that this unit does not display text. Only with the ipod cable. There website is very misleading.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Grom just informed me that this unit does not display text. Only with the ipod cable. There website is very misleading.
Wait really? That's a bummer. I was under the impression with the new firmware that you could get text display via bluetooth as well
Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Instructor

I did have an install question for you though Chuck. I was also under the impression you could install it from your xm plug in that is in your trunk. I saw 2 harnesses that I unplugged from the XM unit in the trunk and I can't get it to connect Do you know how its supposed to be wired up?

This is the unit I ordered

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_a...e_adapter.html

Here's some pics of my XM box in my trunk

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RxWorld
Wait really? That's a bummer. I was under the impression with the new firmware that you could get text display via bluetooth as well
As was I...
Old 05-31-2014, 12:26 AM
Instructor

What year is your car? My 05 only had 1 harness on the XM module, weird. But yeah, leave those wiring harnesses unpluged from the box. You can leave the box in the car, just need them unplugged so the XM broadcast doesnt bleed through into you music.

And it install into the back of the headunit up front. Not in the trunk. This vid will help you out. I ran my mic up to the corner of my drivers side A pillar. I left the grom box sandwiched between the kick panel and the side of the cuby pockets in the center console.

Last edited by ChuckP; 05-31-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:07 AM
Instructor

What year is your car? My 05 only had 1 harness on the XM module, weird. But yeah, leave those wiring harnesses unpluged from the box. You can leave the box in the car, just need them unplugged so the XM broadcast doesnt bleed through into you music.

And it install into the back of the headunit up front. Not in the trunk. This vid will help you out. I ran my mic up to the corner of my drivers side A pillar. I left the grom box sandwiched between the kick panel and the side of the cuby pockets in the center console.

iPod iPhone AUX Installation Acura TL 2004-2008 USA Spec PA15-HON3 - YouTube
Thanks for the quick response Chuck! That actually answered my question I have 2008 with Navi. Are you thinking of getting the that iphone cable to get text display?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response Chuck! That actually answered my question I have 2008 with Navi. Are you thinking of getting the that iphone cable to get text display?
Nope, I'm an android user. If I wanted to go wired I would have bought the Grom USB2. I really wanted to go bluetooth. I thought the text would be cool, but I can live without it. The BT3 is a pretty nifty unit. For $100, I'm a happy camper.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Nope, I'm an android user. If I wanted to go wired I would have bought the Grom USB2. I really wanted to go bluetooth. I thought the text would be cool, but I can live without it. The BT3 is a pretty nifty unit. For $100, I'm a happy camper.
Just as an update to this. I did talk to GROM today. If you want text display via bluetooth you have to purchase the GROM-USB2 and get the add on bluetooth dongle. I already installed my unit but I might return it and try this route....haha
Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Just as an update to this. I did talk to GROM today. If you want text display via bluetooth you have to purchase the GROM-USB2 and get the add on bluetooth dongle. I already installed my unit but I might return it and try this route....haha
How much are you looking at spending for that setup?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Instructor

How much are you looking at spending for that setup?
Off the GROM website the GROM-USB2P-HON1 is $135 and GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension is $50

I do want to ask if the text display only works though the grom app or if I can get text display via stock music player, spodify, pandora etc etc.

But if you were considering switching why not an isimple unit? I thought the new isimple unit had text display via bluetooth. It is just not an option for 07 -08 with navi because of the xm traffic live feature the cars have.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Instructor

I use an android. But i've heard horrible things regarding sound quality and volume levels with the isimple. I didn't want to take the risk. I'm very happy with the BT3, as I dont care that much about text. I am having issues with slacker and spotify pausing and disconnecting at times, i need to investigate.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you that have the GROM BT3... Did you retain your factory Handsfree bluetooth to take phone calls or are you using the GROM module? If so, do the GROM module provide higher functionality? Do you have the option do choose either?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Instructor

My stock HFL took a crap. So I use the Grom unit. You can use the steering wheel track +/- to answer and hang up.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ashaman
For those of you that have the GROM BT3... Did you retain your factory Handsfree bluetooth to take phone calls or are you using the GROM module? If so, do the GROM module provide higher functionality? Do you have the option do choose either?
You could keep both of them functioning..I think (I haven't tested it), but I wouldn't. The HFL has such limited functionality compared the voice activated services that come with iPhones and Androids. I can use Siri to voice dial contacts, send text messages, call local businesses, play certain songs all hands free. I keep my phone in my pocket, I get into my car, I wait a second then hit the scan button twice to activate siri, then I ask siri to play an artist or playlist then the music starts and I'm good to go
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Just an update, bought the Bt3 and had it installed for about two weeks. I am having the same problem ChuckP is having...pausing and/or losing connection while streaming music through apps like Pandora, 8tracks, or Spotify... Since that is my predominant medium to listen to music, it is quite bothersome. I've tried all combinations to get it to work and it continues. It occurs on both Android and Iphone. This is on XM firmware btw. I plan on returning it for a refund.

Chuck, did you ever fix this?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Instructor

I am actually in the process of exchanging it for another. I had a friends S3 show the same issues with it, so I know it isnt my phone like Autotoys alluded it was.

Where did you buy it from?

does it still do it with media on your phone?

Last edited by ChuckP; 07-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Bought it direct from Grom, so I assume they gave me latest firmware. Haven't done much media on phone so can't say. The aux cable works just fine though. I've noticed that when I turn the volume up rapidly like jumping from 12 to 30, it increases the likelihood it stops playing..weird i know. I am give the ishd651 a shot.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Weird. My phone will just pause every few minutes, sometimes multiple times in a minute. I'm going to try my luck with another. Do you think its the phones, or definitely the BT3 itself that is causing the issue?

Any idea if the isimple unit shows text when streaming via the Android? I would love to hear how they compare in terms of sound quality when you get it.

Last edited by ChuckP; 07-03-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Instructor

interesting. I have 08 TL, iphone 5, CDC firmware and no issues with music pausing over bluetooth or any streaming issues really.... The xm firmware ran really crappy for me so I ditched it for the CDC one.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Instructor

And I use spodify for like 85% of my music listening
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Instructor

interesting. I have 08 TL, iphone 5, CDC firmware and no issues with music pausing over bluetooth or any streaming issues really.... The xm firmware ran really crappy for me so I ditched it for the CDC one.
What do you mean ran crappy for you? Can you fill me in on the difference between the CDC and XM, do you loose your CD player ability with CDC?

Also, when I pair my S3 to the BT3, it gives me a passcode, are you guys doing anything with that passcode? I dont even know where to enter it.

Last edited by ChuckP; 07-04-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Instructor

What do you mean ran crappy for you? Can you fill me in on the difference between the CDC and XM, do you loose your CD player ability with CDC?

Also, when I pair my S3 to the BT3, it gives me a passcode, are you guys doing anything with that passcode? I dont even know where to enter it.
The XM firmware was just bad. Like once it connected it was really sluggish in changing the tracks and music play back took a while to start up. I tried it for like 1/2 and hour before I switched back haha. In my opinion CDC is the way to go if you don't care about text display. You don't lose anything when you go CDC. XM and your CD player still work (See my picture below) I think CDC stands for CD changer and it's possible to add on an external CD changer and that's what the BT3 unit mimics in the CDC firmware.

When i connect with my iphone 5 I never got a passcode or was ever prompted to enter one at any point...

Name:  IMG_8485_zps8ecca6b6.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  195.4 KB
Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Instructor

oh and when you leave CDC mode that CDC icon turns into AUX. So if you have a 07-08. The aux plug in still works too
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Just an update...after reading RxWorld's posts, I figured I would switch over to the CDC firmware before throwing in the towel with the bt3.

I was hesitant to do this at first because my CD player stopped working over 5 years ago, so I figured that it may not work with the bt3 either in CD mode. Fortunately, I was wrong.

It has been 3 days now since I switched over to CDC firmware and I have not had a single issue (pausing, stopping, dropping or otherwise). The music sounds great perhaps better than with XM?..could be the different firmware or my imagination.

So for those installing a BT3 in a 3g TL, I would stay away from XM firmware. Of course, I can only speak for myself (2005 Non-Navi), but I think with Chuck and RxWorlds similiar issues we can begin to make conclusions. I will update if I do encounter any issue.
The following users liked this post:
RxWorld (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ashaman
So for those installing a BT3 in a 3g TL, I would stay away from XM firmware. Of course, I can only speak for myself (2005 Non-Navi), but I think with Chuck and RxWorlds similiar issues we can begin to make conclusions. I will update if I do encounter any issue.

Agreed! (I have a 2008 with Navi)
Old 07-12-2014, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Thanks guys! I was just about to pull the unit out tomorrow to ship back. I am glad I caught this prior to going that route. I will give the CDC a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

On a side note, the other night I was messing with my audio setting in the headunit. Every change I made would cause the BT3 to pause and there was a horrible lag between moving the slides to increase and decrease the levels and the actual response. shitty firmware is shitty.

Last edited by ChuckP; 07-12-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Update: So CDC has been working much better. No more lag between track changes and it pauses much less. I am still getting the occasional pause, but i'm not sure if it's my service or the BT3. I don't seem to be disconnecting anymore while the song continues to play but without any output. So that's welcomed... I'll see how it does over the next week or so before I decide to return it.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So does the xm still work in either firmware? I really want to add usb but don't want to lose xm.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nvthis3
So does the xm still work in either firmware? I really want to add usb but don't want to lose xm.
XM works fine in the CDC firmware. If you install the SAT firmware you have to unplug your XM from the trunk so it will not work
Old 09-10-2014, 02:06 PM
4th Gear

Haven't read all of this tread but I'm having the "Handsfree Rebooting" issue and my question is if I install the BT3 will I then have disconnected my Factory Bluetooth HFL and do away with the battery draining monster altogether? I have a 2006 TL Nav and I want to fix my existing HFL / battery issue and pick up streaming capabilities for music on BT and plug in too... Am I thinking straight here? Please advise, new to TL and AZ... Thanks!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

I'll see how it does over the next week or so before I decide to return it.
Hi Chuck

I'm a new TL owner (2008, no navi) and am investigating Bluetooth music streaming options. Did you keep (and are you happy with) the GROM-BT3?

Did you connect it to the head unit, or the XM unit in the trunk?

I, too, was interested in text display, but it sounds like it's not worth it. 90% of my listening is through Spotify on my Android phone. Have you found that you can use the car controls to skip tracks and such?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08TLNewbie
Hi Chuck

I'm a new TL owner (2008, no navi) and am investigating Bluetooth music streaming options. Did you keep (and are you happy with) the GROM-BT3?

Did you connect it to the head unit, or the XM unit in the trunk?

I, too, was interested in text display, but it sounds like it's not worth it. 90% of my listening is through Spotify on my Android phone. Have you found that you can use the car controls to skip tracks and such?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Dave
Hey Dave. You connect the device to the harness behind the headunit. You must also disconnect the XM feed in the trunk. Follow the youtube vids on how to get behind the headunit, its not hard at all. Just a little tedious getting the harness plugged back in.

Over all, I like the BT3. Sound is as good as it gets for BT. Track controls on the wheel work with every app I have used. Hands free calling is decent, I notice I have to speak louder than normal. The mic sits at the top of the A pillar cover. Only downfall imo, no txt display. Not a deal breaker for me. I use spotify most of the time as well, and just glance at my phone to see what track is up. If the sound quality wasn't what it is, I would probably have regretted not going the isimple route. But it sounds great, at least when it actually worked.

My BT3 had issues staying connected to my phone. Troubleshooted with multiple devices, tried both XM and CDC, no luck. I returned it long ago and am waiting on a replacement unit.

Last edited by ChuckP; 10-06-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fo scho
Haven't read all of this tread but I'm having the "Handsfree Rebooting" issue and my question is if I install the BT3 will I then have disconnected my Factory Bluetooth HFL and do away with the battery draining monster altogether? I have a 2006 TL Nav and I want to fix my existing HFL / battery issue and pick up streaming capabilities for music on BT and plug in too... Am I thinking straight here? Please advise, new to TL and AZ... Thanks!
You are thinking straight. I had the same issues. I unplugged the stock BT unit in the overhead and just left it in its place. No more battery drain. BT3 will let you stream music and hands free calling.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:32 PM
7th Gear

Reviving an old thread, I know, but where can I get this video?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested in getting this thread started as well since I have been having some trouble with mine.

07 Tl-S using CDC firmware